Where to Apply Motor From Trimmer
Nowadays, an ordinary household trimmer is not only a tool for caring for the garden and the house area. It is also the basis for self-assembly of various units useful in the household, the list of which includes an outboard motor based on a trimmer. One of the main advantages of outboard motors from lawn mowers is the simplicity of their assembly and ease of maintenance. Thanks to this, even a beginner can cope with the manufacture and operation of a boat ICE from a trimmer.
Methods of manufacturing an outboard trimmer motor
There are three ways to make an outboard trimmer motor. Between themselves, they differ in the parts used and the principle of self-assembly.
Method number 1
This method stands out for its simplicity and cost-effectiveness.
To work, you need to prepare:
As a rule, in the set for the screw there is a ready-made drawing. This makes it possible to save on the search for the necessary schemes. It takes approximately 1–1.5 hours to install the outboard motor.
Method number 2
To assemble the boat ICE, the manufacturer will need to prepare an angular gearbox, which can be removed from the angle grinder. Also, a propeller is needed for alteration – it can be cut from a stainless steel sheet and bent the resulting blades at the desired angle.
Despite the relatively small pitch of the obtained screw, this alteration method makes it possible to achieve the maximum possible speed from the engine. The only minus is the need for additional engine adjustment, for which you can use pliers.
This method differs from others in the ability to make some parts for the boat engine with your own hands. This will require a 2-stroke gasoline engine with a cylinder volume of 25 cm3. The power of the internal combustion engine from the trimmer should not be less than 0.7 kW, and its weight should not exceed 4.5 kg. The unit must be equipped with a bent leg. The engine from the trimmer that meets all these parameters will make it possible to move on a boat at a speed of 5 to 8 km / h with a minimum fuel consumption. The principles of its manufacture will be described in more detail below.
How to make a boat motor with your own hands from a trimmer?
To assemble the motor from the trimmer onto the boat, the manufacturer will need to prepare the following equipment and materials:
- Household lawn mowing;
- Clamp. If it is not, then you can use any other mount for reliable fixation of the motor on the boat;
- A sheet of duralumin, the thickness of which should not be less than 2 mm;
- Welding machine;
- Set of fasteners;
- Set of screwdrivers and wrenches.
To assemble a homemade propeller, the manufacturer will need drawings. They should indicate the exact dimensions of the blades and the way they are fixed on the axis.
It should be remembered that the lower the power of the drive used and the mass of the boat, the smaller the blades should be. For example, for a boat with a mass of not more than 120 kg, a propeller with blades of 10 × 3 cm is suitable.
After preparing the equipment and carefully studying the drawings, you can proceed with the assembly of the homemade product.
The work algorithm should look like this:
- First of all, the manufacturer will need to modify the bent shaft. First you need to dismantle the factory nut, placed in a reel with pre-wound fishing line. The nut itself in shape resembles a small 2-cm tube with an internal thread. If necessary, it can be divided into 2 small full-fledged nuts. During the dismantling of fasteners, you must be extremely careful not to lose them. If this happens, then finding another suitable fastener will not work;
- After removing the nut, you will need to dismantle the plastic pad located on the throttle button. There are no roller bearings at the end of a standard curved rod. They are replaced by an ordinary bronze bushing, which is often called a plain bearing. It must be carefully removed. Before this, you will need to unscrew the nut, as well as remove the stern and metal shafts from the tube;
- Then you need to proceed to knock out a plastic tread located on a flexible shaft. In the future, the steel pipe can be discarded, since it will not work to level it with improvised means. It can be replaced with a dural tube having the same diameter. It will need to install a bronze sleeve, which will need to be moved along the canvas with a hammer. Next, you need to take a plastic protector pre-cut in diameter, and install it on the pipe;
- The next step is to make a screw. To do this, cut duralumin blades and sharpen their edges. After that, each blade will need to be bent upwards by 1 cm so that the screw pitch is at least 10 cm. You can fix the finished device with a nut;
- Next, you need to install a bicycle speed switch on the outboard motor from the lawn-mowers, which will replace the standard plastic pad. After that, you will need to install a silencer, which will take the engine exhaust away from the boat driver;
- To fix the outboard motor from the lawn mowers, you need to use two sheets of plywood. After that, it remains to clamp the shaft, using 4 screws for this. During transportation of the outboard motor, the shaft can be removed from the trimmer.
Video: Where to Apply Motor From Trimmer
After the homemade nozzle is ready, it will need to be run in. To do this, prepare a fuel mixture of fresh gasoline and engine oil in a ratio of 40: 1. After that, you will need to fill the finished mixture into the regular tank of the boat engine, start it, and let it work out 1 full tank of fuel at idle. After the break-in, the homemade outboard motor from the trimmer will be completely ready for operation.
How to use the outboard motor from lawn mowers?
Using a trimmer, like a boat engine, the operator needs to constantly monitor the condition of the engine, and give him time to cool.
In addition, extend the life of the outboard motor from the trimmer will help:
- Checking all the fixtures available in the device – before each engine start, you need to carefully inspect the clamps that hold the engine elements from the trimmer;
- Refueling the engine from the trimmer only with the gasoline and oil that was used to operate the lawn mowers;
- Timely cleaning and replacement of the air and fuel filter of the engine;
- Regular inspection and timely replacement of the fuel pump;
- Inspection and, if necessary, replacement of the spark plug.
Regular ventilation of its regular cylinder will also help to extend the life of a boat ICE from a trimmer. To do this, about once every 2 months you need to unscrew the spark plug, and rarely pull the starter cable 4-5 times. After the procedure, the candle can be screwed back into place and the engine can continue to operate.
The idea of a very light outboard motor for small boats, including the simplest ones – rubber is of interest to many hunters and fishermen today. It is important to note that the cost of such a motor is quite high and maintenance, however, like the details. In this case, many very often began to use motor trimmers, which are now very popular and common.
- What is a nozzle for remaking a trimmer into an outboard motor ↓
- Working principle ↓
- Is it worth buying a nozzle for remaking trimmer into an outboard motor ↓
- The benefits of trimmers ↓
What is a nozzle for remaking trimmer in boat engine
Principle of operation
The trimmer has a higher speed of rotation of the blades, which makes it possible to move through the water at a higher speed, which will allow you to start fishing faster than with a motor. Everyone saw how the trimmer works – how the lawn and ordinary grass are cut, but here, its blades are turned in the opposite direction and at the same time, it performs the function of the most economical motor.
But if the trimmer is lower, the speed will be lower. But the main drawback of the trimmer compared to ordinary boat motors is that they are very loud and should not be used to the full if you do not want to scare away the fish.
Is it worth buying a nozzle for remaking trimmer into an outboard motor
It is impossible to give an unequivocal answer to this question, since someone is very used to the motors on boats, while others have never used them. At the same time, if you want a really powerful boat, then naturally the most profitable and effective solution is to install a standard trimmer. But it is worth considering that this option is universal. As mentioned above – the most important thing is to correctly combine.
Many experts recommend blades similar to the blades of your old motor. It is very important that it is necessary to install in strict accordance with the instructions.
In addition, you should pay attention to the moment that you must take extra fuel with you, as well as a regular lawn mower, you should be given the opportunity to “rest” since due to very long use, the trimmer motor can simply fail directly on the water.
The larger the blades, the more effective the trimmer will be.
Alteration of lawn mowers is as follows:
Initially, there is an alteration of the main bent shaft: first, a regular nut is removed from the bobbin with a special fishing line. It is a small tube, the length of which is 20 mm.
At the same time, the nut must be preserved, since the thread on the lawn mowers is unusual and it is almost impossible to find the same.
Then the plastic pad with the keys is removed. After that, at the very end of the most bent pipe there is a standard bronze bushing (often called a plain bearing) – it must be carefully cut out, after that the stern shaft must be removed, the nut and the metal shaft unscrewed.
The most important thing is to choose the right blades. Here, everything directly depends on what dimensions your boat has.
It is very important to pay attention to the factor that the best solution would be to enter “engines on a boat” in the search and go to the website where the engines are sold and ask a consultant who will offer you his help on the first website you get – you say your own dimensions car, and then, when you get a suitable motor, you need to look at the technical specifications and find out the dimensions of the blades.
Many naturally ask why it is a trimmer. It has a number of undeniable advantages:
- Very powerful;
- Has the main controls: starter, throttle;
- It is supplemented specially by the “foot”, which allows you to adjust the power.