Which Company To Choose A Cordless Screwdriver
Choosing a cordless screwdriver How to choose a cordless screwdriver
Cordless versatile tool pros and cons
It is quite obvious that the optimal choice of a tool is primarily determined by the tasks, the solution of which the tool should provide, and, of course, by the conditions of its future operation (operation in domestic conditions or solving professional problems). A clear understanding of future operating conditions is all the more important when you consider that the cost of multifunctional household tools does not differ much from the cost of professional cordless screwdrivers. It is quite logical that the question arises how a professional tool differs from household models. The main difference is that a professional screwdriver is able to withstand longer loads and less gentle handling.
It is these parameters that distinguish a professional model from a simple one, and therefore many manufacturers in technical data sheets indicate that their product does not lose its performance after falling from a certain height. It should also be taken into account that even under repair conditions, tools intended for domestic needs are used less intensively than in production conditions. However, such a high resource of strength and reliability is provided at the expense of functionality. It is for this reason that a professional tool is less functional than a household one.
For a clearer understanding of the essence of the issue, it is necessary to analyze the situation by considering a specific example. Suppose that a batch of QUATTRO universal cordless screwdrivers arrives at a certain furniture shop, each of which is 4 BlackDecker KC2002FK screwdrivers in one.
On a superficial examination, it seems that the furniture production was equipped with excellent equipment produced by a well-known brand, and at the same time saved quite a decent amount of money (the cost of a set is 6,000 rubles, while a separate tool is not much cheaper). But this judgment is rather superficial. Let’s consider the question more thoroughly. In production, almost always during a working day, you have to perform the same type of operations or plan a tree, or engage in the installation of finished products, or solve issues of packaging products. It is easy to guess that to perform these functions of the same type, only one tool is required (for example, a jigsaw, a plane, a screwdriver, etc.). Everything will become clear if we compare the characteristics of the screwdriver with the BlackDecker KC2002FK attachments and the characteristics of the individual tool. This versatile cordless screwdriver is chosen by those who do not need to use individual components very often, and the tool itself.
For greater clarity, it makes sense to consider the products of the same brand, namely the BlackDecker CP12K screwdriver, which costs 3.5 thousand rubles. The KC2002FK screwdriver uses a battery with a capacity of 1.5 Ampere / hour and a voltage of 14.4 V, while a non-universal model uses a battery with a capacity of 1.5 A / hour and a voltage of 12 V, but its torque value is 16 Nm, and the more powerful universal screwdriver only 10.5 Nm. The first significant sacrifice for instrument versatility.
The universal tool can also be used as a jigsaw, to which, of course, there is no point in making special requirements. The jigsaw of the same company KS999EK has a power of 600 W, and the adjustable blade speed varies from 0 to 3200 strokes / min.
The nozzle of the universal device demonstrates the same stroke rate (3000 strokes / min), but with its help it is possible to cut material to a depth of 38 mm, and with a specialized jigsaw, wood is cut up to 65 mm.
Who should choose this instance? The universal screwdriver with BlackDecker KC2002FK attachments is the ideal tool for use at home, where it is used only when necessary, that is, quite rarely. Its use in production makes no sense, and therefore in a professional environment, specialized tools equipped with the same type of battery packs and performing strictly defined, standard functions have become widespread.
Overview of professional screwdrivers
A rational approach that allows you to save money was demonstrated by the BOSCH company, which released a model line of tools powered by a battery of a GSR 18 VE-2-LI Professional screwdriver. It should be noted that the cost savings are quite significant considering the high cost of a modern Li-Ion battery. Thus, by purchasing an additional tool from this company, there is no longer any need to purchase a battery.
Cordless screwdriver Hitachi DS12DVF3
The instrument is made with a somewhat exotic appearance. This design is not accidental. Firstly, it is simply not economically feasible to forge a tool body, and, secondly, exotic linings protect the tool from falling. In addition, the pads also provide the necessary ergonomics for the screwdriver handle (the user’s hand is protected from vibrations and does not sweat during intensive work).
The delivery set of the screwdriver includes a flashlight, a charger that ensures the restoration of the product in 1 hour and a battery with a capacity of 1.4 Ah.
The screwdriver has 2 ranges of speeds: the first range of speeds includes values of rotation frequency from 0 to 300 rpm, and the second range from 0 to 1100 rpm.
The screwdriver is equipped with a keyless chuck (10 mm) and 22 torque settings.
When choosing, pay attention to the main disadvantages of the tool:
- A morally outdated, albeit very reliable drill chuck
- Unsuccessful attachment of the removable bit to the bracket (the bit often clings to clothing)
- Small size of the reverse button, although its location is quite convenient for the user
Choosing a cordless screwdriver
How to choose the right cordless screwdriver.
Therefore, the user needs to keep in mind that when choosing a universal tool, he deliberately allows averaging some characteristics according to which the quality of the tool is assessed, for example, the drilling speed or the impact force. Over, some of the characteristics of the tool become simply incompatible, for example, hammer drilling and small hole drilling. But the user enjoys all the advantages inherent in universality such as:
- Battery powered tool provides autonomy from household power
- The multifunctionality of the tool provides a wide range of possibilities for its application
- Simplicity and accuracy of work
And this is a far from complete list of the capabilities of universal tools. Currently, manufacturers offer a wide range of different models of cordless universal tools such as: screwdrivers, grinders, planers, and more. In the present, there is a tendency to replace the usual network tools with battery tools, and not only in everyday life, but also in production and in industry. In the article, given the relevance of the issue, the correct choice of tool, the characteristics and parameters of cordless screwdrivers are discussed in detail.
Cordless screwdriver Makita 8281DWPE
The tool is powered by a new generation Li-Ion battery with a voltage of 14.4 V, which is undoubtedly its advantage.
The instrument is supplied with 2 rechargeable batteries and a charger that restores the instrument to function in just one hour. The rotational speed of the screwdriver is divided into 2 ranges: the first range of speeds includes values of the rotational speed from 0 to 400 rpm, and the second range from 0 to 1300 rpm.
The screwdriver is equipped with a keyless chuck (10 mm), equipped with 16 steps of setting the torque (maximum value 36 Nm), and the weight of the tool is 1.7 kg. In addition to typical operations, the tool is equipped with an impact option, and is able to perform from 0 to 18 thousand impacts per minute.
As disadvantages of the tool you can specify the following:
- For a tool equipped with an impact function, the manufacturer has provided it with a fairly weak chuck
- Low battery capacity (only 1.3 Ah), which is not enough for intensive work
- There is a possibility that the hand may overlap the ventilation openings for cooling the motor during impact operation, and the ventilation openings are so poorly positioned that they will overlap in the case of wide palms of the user
- The gearbox housing of a screwdriver equipped with an impact function is preferably made of metal.
How to choose the right cordless screwdriver
After considering the main properties of universal cordless tools, we will dwell in more detail on the choice of a cordless screwdriver, and we will consider the parameters that will allow using the tool not only at home, but also for commercial purposes.
We will restrict our consideration to products equipped with NiCd batteries, which are currently in wide demand, since, despite all their advantages, Li-Ion batteries are not particularly popular due to their high cost. The main parameters that you should pay attention to when choosing a tool are:
- Completion of the tool with 2 batteries with a voltage value of at least 12V
- Availability of a charger capable of restoring the performance of the model in 1 hour
- Equipping the tool with a large number of stages (tightening forces) by means of which the frequency of the torque is adjusted
- High torque value
- Chuck type with which the tool is equipped
- Multiple rotation speeds
It is recommended that you carefully read the warranty card, as some manufacturers do not provide a warranty for batteries. It is advisable that the additional equipment includes a set of attachments, 3 rechargeable batteries and a flashlight.
Armed with all the necessary knowledge, we will appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of the following models of famous brands:
- Cordless screwdriver brand Makita 8281DWPE, the price of which is 5.8 thousand rubles and is equipped with a Li-Ion battery and a shock option.
- Cordless screwdriver brand Hitachi DS12DVF3 equipped with flashlights.
- Cordless screwdriver brand BOSCH GSR 12-2 Professional.
- Cordless screwdriver METABO BSZ 14.4 Impuls, cost from 7 thousand rubles and has a rather rare option impulse
Unfortunately, due to the exchange rate, the cost has become irrelevant and is indicative
Of course, all the instruments selected for consideration are of high quality, reliability and durability. Although all of the above screwdrivers belong to the category of professional tools, at a cost they are quite affordable for an ordinary user, now we will understand in more detail the characteristics and decide which one to choose better.
The numbers in the characteristic show with what force the screwdriver twists the self-tapping screw or how much force is required to overcome the load during drilling. What is the practical use of knowing the parameter? The diameter and length of the bolt to be screwed in depends on the torque. The higher the indicator, the longer and thicker the screws can be used in work without fear of failures or breakdowns. For example, at 40 N / m, it will be possible to freely drive a self-tapping screw 10 cm long into the tree.
In small household models, the torque is from 10 to 30 N / m, but the indicator can be adjusted by adjusting to the nozzle. For adjustment, a stop ring is provided on the screwdriver body, which goes immediately after the chuck. The user can coordinate the effort for a specific screw by scrolling the limiter. Result: as soon as the self-tapping screw is tightened to the desired level, the chuck will stop, although the motor will still work.
Interesting: The stop not only helps to tighten the bolts, preventing excessive sinking into the material, but also protects the tool from wear.
Criteria for choosing a cordless screwdriver
To choose a quality screwdriver, it is not enough to pay attention only to the price, appearance and comfort in the hand. It is necessary to additionally evaluate a lot of characteristics. Those who do not trust the consultants can independently study the technical passport of the device they like. It describes the main parameters and capabilities. What is important when buying a cordless screwdriver and which device is better for the house from inexpensive ones is described in detail in the following sections.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver: 6 tips and a rating of 5 cool models
A screwdriver is essentially an electrical substitute for a screwdriver. It performs the same functions as its younger brother, only makes the process of tightening / unscrewing screws and bolts much faster. Such a tool is especially effective if there are tens or even hundreds of screws. The device can not only twist the screws. By installing a special drill, you can make holes in wood, plastic and thin metal with a screwdriver. Powerful devices even take bricks and concrete. In general, the tool is indispensable in everyday life and during repairs.
Voltage and other parameters
For an ordinary buyer of a screwdriver, it is enough to know:
- For household appliances, the voltage ranges from 10-14 V;
- For professional, the indicator should be more than 18 V. Some instruments boast a level of 36 V.
The next characteristic is power. The parameter informs the user about the speed of the device. It is logical that the higher the power, the faster the screw will be screwed in. But you should not overdo it, for household purposes and do-it-yourself flow repairs, a 500-700 W model is quite enough.
In order not to send the device for charging every half hour of operation, you should pay close attention to the battery. Modern screwdrivers use:
- Lithium-ion batteries are not subject to self-discharge, the most common. They can be charged up to 3000 times, and at any stage and discharge level.
- Nickel-cadmium are not afraid of cold, they work efficiently at subzero temperatures. However, there is a slight downside to self-discharge. You need to store such a battery with 0% charge in order to save capacity to the maximum.
- Nickel-metal hybrid eco-friendly batteries found in some European brands. These batteries are compact and lightweight, but they are frost-resistant.
When comparing battery specifications, it’s also worth looking at capacity. The autonomy of the device and the number of possible recharges depend on it. Over time, the capacity decreases, this also needs to be taken into account.
The hackneyed truth is a brand beyond competition. Yes, branded tools are more expensive, but they have a quality guarantee and service centers for repairs, and the screwdrivers themselves are made of durable components.
Quite good screwdrivers with a removable battery are also offered by Varo Kreator, Sparky, Dnipro-M and others.
To choose the ideal device for specific purposes, you should pay attention to the number of revolutions. The manufacturer calls this parameter speed or rotational speed. It is adjusted by pressing the trigger, the harder you press, the greater the speed. In addition, the frequency shows whether the tool will be able to drive a screw into a dense material and what is the approximate diameter of the hole if the screwdriver replaces the drill.
If the customer is confident that the device will only be used for tightening screws and bolts, 500 rpm is more than enough. Screwdrivers, which act as drills, operate at 1200 rpm.
Nuance: there are models with 1, 2 and 3 speeds on the market, where one is for self-tapping screws, the second is for drilling small holes, the third is for working with metal or other durable raw materials.
This type of screwdriver has the following advantages:
- Energy autonomy. The cordless screwdriver is not tied to a power source, it is located in the tool itself. In the event of a power outage, you can continue working without problems. A pre-charged battery makes it possible to use the tool in places without an electrical source.
- Mobility. In the case of working with a power screwdriver at some distance from the power source, you need to use extension cords, and the battery model allows you to work anywhere, be it a high-rise building or a basement. A battery-powered screwdriver will be a godsend for domestic use in a home outside the city or an irreplaceable assistant in case of professional use.
- Spare battery. Having made a choice in favor of a rechargeable device, it would be good to purchase a spare battery. As a result, unexpected discharge can be avoided and the above benefits of this instrument can be enjoyed without any sudden trouble.
In addition to technical characteristics, these screwdrivers are distinguished by the type of battery. When choosing this device, you should pay attention to the available type of battery. They come in 3 types: Ni-Cd (nickel-cadmium), Li-Ion (lithium-ion), and Ni-MH (nickel-metal hydride).
The choice of a certain type of battery should be carried out according to the following parameters:
- Number of charges. A nickel-cadmium screwdriver can withstand as much as 1000 charges, a nickel-metal hydride screwdriver up to 500, and a lithium-ion one has the highest capacity.
- Memory effect. This parameter has an effect on the capacity of the battery if it was not fully charged. The lithium-ion battery may not be fully charged and this does not affect the subsequent volume of the battery, which cannot be said about the other two types of batteries.
- Low temperature resistance. The nickel cadmium battery can be used when working outdoors in low temperatures. This is what makes it different from the other two types of batteries, because they will not work fully at low temperatures.
- Safety. On all environmental metrics, the lithium-ion battery will benefit.
According to the principle of power supply, screwdrivers are divided into three types:
- Mains powered tools;
- Battery models;
- Combined devices.
For those buyers who cannot decide which screwdriver to choose, network or battery, combined models have been created. Their direct principle of operation is based on the ability to operate on both battery and mains. Quality combination screwdrivers are manufactured by Blaucraft.
Which screwdriver is better?
Screwdrivers are used for their intended purpose (screwing / unscrewing process, drilling holes in concrete, wood, brick, wood, threading) and indirectly (drilling holes in ice, stirring liquid building materials).
Before starting the selection, you need to think about what areas of application the selected tool will have, how often it will be used. Conditionally, screwdrivers are divided into amateur and professional. Amateur models are intended for domestic use, they do not have great power and high performance.
The amateur analog has a torque of 10-15 Nm, while the rotation speed is 400-500 rpm. When choosing such a tool, it is necessary to focus on the soft torque responsible for screwing in / out.
Professional models have a rigid torque of up to 130 Nm, the speed can reach 1200-1300 rpm.
A screwdriver that works directly from the mains has a similarity to a drill. It is expressed in a similar form and a wire through which power is supplied to the instrument. The main difference between a drill and a screwdriver is the possible torque adjustment in the latter. This type of tool is mainly aimed at professional use. At the same time, firms involved in the production of screwdrivers produce only a few models for the home.
Firms and manufacturers of screwdrivers on the market are represented in large numbers, but you need to pay attention not to the brand, but to the functionality and power of the tool.
The production of mains-powered screwdrivers is carried out by Bosch, Makita, Interskol, Fiolent.
Consider the advantages that a cordless screwdriver has:
- Continuous workflow. Due to the fact that power is supplied from the network constantly through the wire, work with the network device remains uninterrupted for exactly as long as necessary.
- Less weight compared to a cordless screwdriver. An important criterion when working with a tool is its weight.
- When buying a power screwdriver you only need to pay for the technical characteristics of the tool. The mains-powered screwdriver also gains in costs because there is no replacement of the battery cell in case of breakage or wear.