Which Drill Bits Are Best For A Hammer Drill
About how not to get lost in this avalanche of offers will be discussed in this article. For a reasonable choice, we need to consider the structure of the drill, its characteristics and determine which brands deserve the confidence of the buyer.
Key parameters and characteristics of the drills
The drill with SDS. plus has a shank diameter of 10 mm. This is the most common size for residential and semi-professional rotary hammers.
The SDS-max shank has a diameter of 18 mm, this is the standard for professional tools.
There is also an intermediate standard SDS. top with a diameter of 14 mm, but it is used only in some Bosch models, so we will not focus on it.
A few words should be said about the adapters from one size to another. If the punch is powerful, then most likely the drills for the SDS. max punch will be the standard, for such a punch you can buy an SDS. plus adapter or an adapter that allows you to use a conventional drill. But in the latter case it will be very inconvenient to drill, because the tool is heavy and powerful. For one-time work, there may be a way out, but think about whether it is worth the money.
For drills with SDS. plus, an adapter for SDS. max is not practical, because the tool is not designed for such loads and, accordingly, wear will increase significantly. For these types of drills, it is more advisable to purchase an adapter that will allow the use of conventional drills. In this case, you can use the punch as a drill, but the quality and accuracy of the holes will not be the same as with a drill. If accuracy is an uncritically important characteristic and such types of work are not constant, and from time to time, then perhaps it’s worth acquiring, you can do without acquiring a drill.
The drill for a puncher is also divided into three types according to their purpose: screw drills, with a large and not large angle of inclination of the working groove.
Auger drills are ideal for deep holes. Their design allows you to well remove dust, which means that drilling will be with less load on the tool and the time to create a hole will be significantly reduced. Purpose: many holes of great depth.
Drills for Makita puncher or any other with a small angle of inclination of the working grooves are designed for long work with little effort. They are used to produce a large number of holes with shallow depth.
The drill for Bosch and other brands of punchers with a large angle of inclination of the working groove provides high drilling speed, which means productivity. At the same time, the load on the hammer drill is greater than when using auger drills. Their use is optimal in the production of single deep holes.
There are also drills with single and double helix grooves. In order to find out which one you need. you should refer to the user manual of the tool.
Note. The drill grease will extend the life of both the drill chuck and the drill itself.
A drill for concrete for a perforator is represented by a wide selection of diameters (from 4 to 25 mm) and lengths (from 5 to 100 cm). The choice of these parameters depends on the needs of the user, for example, if you need to hang the shelf on the wall, then, as a rule, if the structure is not too heavy, use dowels with a diameter of 6. 8 mm. For such work, you need a drill for a perforator 6 mm in diameter.
Video: Which Drill Bits Are Best For A Hammer Drill
An important nuance when choosing a drill for a hammer drill is the shape of the cutting surface. If it has a "conservative", i.e. a straight surface or with a slight protrusion. this creates an additional load on the punch, on the hands and the drill becomes duller faster. To date, the best option is a drill with a centering spike, and generally a good shape of the cutting edges, which has the property of self-sharpening. There are some, for example, products from Alpen and several others.
The shape of the drill head directly affects the degree of delamination in concrete or brick, respectively, with a centering spike, it will create a hole in which the dowel will be stronger to "sit". It is easier to work with such augers, since they are more evenly held in the channel and do not strive to jump to the side.
Types of nozzles for rotary hammers
Above we mentioned mainly about drills for perforators. But there are other species, there are four in all:
- directly drill for Makita punch and others, they are designed to create holes in concrete, brick, stone, etc. The user selects their length and diameter according to their needs, depending on the complexity of the work;
- chisels. There are three varieties of them: chisel, chisel. peak and chisel channel. An ordinary chisel is designed to remove plaster, tile, etc. A chisel. a peak is designed to dismantle, grind and break holes in concrete and other types of surfaces. The purpose of a channel chisel for a punch is to quickly and easily create straight, straight grooves in the surface. It is especially useful during work on the replacement and installation of wiring in the house;
- drill bit, indispensable for installation of electrical wiring. It allows you to easily and quickly create holes in the walls for switches, sockets and junction boxes. There are different diameters.
Note. Any noticeable deformation of the shank of the drill or the nozzle of the perforator makes it unsuitable for use. If you neglect this advice, then jamming may occur in the SDS cartridge and you will not be able to remove it. This will lead to the replacement of the punch spindle, and is it worth reminding that it costs more than an example more expensive than a drill or a nozzle?
Which brand do you prefer?
As mentioned at the very beginning of the article, only 14 factories are officially engaged in the production of drills for perforators. Accordingly, the whole variety of nozzles presented can be divided into two categories: official. high-quality (original) and not original (it’s difficult to talk about quality, because there is no certification, and the product can be both reliable enough and “consumer goods”). But it’s not so simple with the original augers either, for example, it is reliably known that the DreBo Werkzengfabrik factory in Germany produces products both under its own brand and for companies such as AEG, Milwaukee, Wurth and Hitachi. That is, in fact, the quality of all brands will be almost the same and when choosing, one should rather be guided by the parameters of the drill itself, its shape, etc.
Bosch drills are manufactured in China and Germany. over, the technology and characteristics they have are very different. For example, the Chinese analogue has worse dust removal, which is why it tends to clog the exhaust channels and, accordingly, heats up more strongly, the overall load on the tool increases. But the whole paradox is that in some endurance tests, the Chinese counterpart lasts longer than its German counterpart. Therefore, which of the options to give preference to you.
Also, when choosing a drill for a perforator, price plays an important role. In general, the price category can be divided into three parts:
- cheap, respectively, reliability and quality should not be expected (not that hardening, not that metal, production technology is not sustained). They can be recommended in cases of one-time work, for example, hang a picture.
- "Household" drills of famous brands, such as those mentioned above. They cost more, but they will also serve incomparably longer. You can tell you not one repair is enough.
- professional, everything here is by the highest criteria, therefore the price will also be the highest of all categories. And if you are not going to master the profession of a builder, you can get by with the second category. But if there is a desire and financial opportunities. get, as a rule, such drills and nozzles for the home master for life. The quality of this category can be judged by similar products from the Soviet period, drills are still in use and much more appreciated than modern "consumer goods".