Which fishing line is better to use for trimmer
A beautiful and well-groomed lawn in front of the house or a neat lawn framed by ornamental shrubs largely speaks not only of the attractiveness of the artistic solution, but also of the industriousness of the owner of the estate.
And these are not empty words, because systematic lawn care requires not only compliance with technological cycles, but also hard work.
Created and brought to perfection, tools for lawn care simultaneously with the need for skillful handling also require a high-quality selection of consumables, the quality of which largely determines the success of an ideal lawn.
How and which line to choose for the trimmer?
The small-scale mechanization tools offered today for small areas and for the maintenance of large areas with difficult terrain, mainly electric and petrol trimmers, have a working body in the form of a universal head, in the drum of which a synthetic fishing line or vein is wound, as it is sometimes called.
Basically, all manufacturers of this kind of technology in the instructions for use indicate the parameters of the fishing line. diameter. A similar kind of indication is also on the spool, where the direction of winding the fishing line and its diameter is indicated.
However, today there are several types of fishing line for the trimmer, which not only differ from each other in color, diameter and shape, but also have completely different characteristics.
The main parameters of the trimmer line
Manufacturers most often indicate the diameter of the fishing line, and this is partly correct. the mowing head has holes with metal inserts of a certain inner diameter, into which it is impossible to insert a fishing line of a larger diameter.
Thus, one of the parameters of the fishing line is:
- The thickness of the thread.
What nuances should be observed during the work?
As with the start of operation of any equipment, it is recommended that you read the instructions before starting to work with the trimmer, just read and not run your eyes, this is simple and extremely useful, in any case, if you are not experienced with this kind of equipment, you can avoid damage at the initial stage.
Already in the future, when experience appears, this largely compensates for the large consumption of fishing line, but nevertheless, it should be borne in mind that initially you must adhere to the manufacturer’s advice.
The second important point is the knowledge of the main parameters of the fishing line and their accounting for work:
Given that the trimmers have different capacities, and the destination manufacturers are trying to recommend different thicknesses of fishing line for different models of trimmers.
For small electric machines designed to care for small areas of the lawn, the main buyers of which are housewives, and older people, manufacturers recommend fishing line with a diameter of 1.4 to 2.4 mm.
For electric braids and gasoline trimmers of medium power, which are needed to care for fairly large areas, manufacturers recommend fishing line from 2.4 mm to 3 mm.
Видео: Which fishing line is better to use for trimmer
Professional units capable of working for several hours in a row, mowing grass in areas with difficult terrain, with shrubs and dry grass, it is recommended fishing line with a thickness of 3. 3.2 mm.
In many ways, the result of the trimmer also depends on the shape of the cross section of the fishing line. Conventionally, all types can be divided into two types. a fishing line of circular cross section and a fishing line of complex section. square, rectangle, star.
The most common type of fishing line is a fishing line of circular cross section.
This is caused by several factors:
- round thread production is much cheaper than the production of a complex section;
- round thread withstands heavy loads. during mowing, the tip of the fishing line is sharpened and, thus, an even regular cut is obtained, similar to the cut of a hand braid;
- round fishing line is spent less than other types of fishing line;
- round section is available in all types of diameter products from 1.4 mm to 3.3 mm inclusive.
Disadvantages of a round cross section of fishing line:
- makes noise during work, therefore, for particularly tender consumers who do not like to wear headphones, the manufacturer offers a round spiral line with reduced noise during operation;
- despite being present in all kinds of sizes, round fishing line is not suitable for mowing shrubs and dead wood, its main purpose is young green grass.
Fishing line of square or rectangular section:
- the main purpose. professional trimmers for haymowing on tall grass;
- the cut is made by the edges of the rectangle, as a result of which the mowing is smooth, without crushing the stems.
- sizes. from 2.4 mm to 3.3 mm.
Of the minuses:
- high consumption when working on rocky areas, near hedges, trees. the fishing line is quite fragile;
- mainly used on powerful electric and gas trimmers.
Star-shaped fishing line:
- the main purpose is dry grass and small shrubs;
- sizes from 2.4 mm to 3.0 mm;
- some manufacturers for reinforcing the fishing line make it two-component when there is a metal core inside the fishing line;
Of the minuses it should be noted:
- high and very high cost (fishing line with a metal core);
- requires a special coil for a trimmer or a special disk;
- when mowing with such fishing line, the use of mowed grass in the form of livestock feed is not recommended.
The composition of the fishing line
However, basically the service life of the fishing line does not depend on the shape or diameter of the thread, but on what composition it is made of. Most often, domestic manufacturers use nylon as the main material.
It is quite flexible, elastic, strong, and can be deformed by stretching. Relatively easy to withstand heavy loads and high temperatures.
Nylon fishing line in the price range is the cheapest, but this does not mean that low-quality, given the price / quality / performance ratio, the nylon fishing line will show a very decent result.
Coaxial, two-component fishing line can withstand the most stress and is considered the strongest. Its secret is simple. a dense, even rigid core and a rather elastic outer layer.
This combination allows the fishing line to retain its properties for a long time and wear out gradually, much more slowly than a nylon fishing line.
The line with the metal central core was originally intended for professional work. mowing grass along the freeways, cleaning steep slopes, working on rocky areas.
And therefore, it has an appropriate price, which is not entirely suitable for working on a personal plot.
The main criterion for choosing a fishing line should be the correspondence of the diameter of the fishing line to the trimmer, its power, and capabilities.
It is not necessary to put the entire skein of fishing line in a reel, a small length is enough to prevent spontaneous scattering of the working head, especially since to work with the trimmer it is necessary to select a fishing line in the size range specified in the instructions. a light thread of small diameter also harms the tool, as well as a thicker thread.
Review of the best brands of manufacturers
Among branded threads for trimmers, the greatest authority and popularity among professionals are fishing line Makita, Black&Decker, Husqvarna, Bosch. These are well-known brands that have set the bar for high quality and innovation for more than a year.
The most common on the market, and quite affordable to the average consumer (both for the amateur and for professional use) are Forte, Intertool, Master Tool, Sturm, Verto, Sadko, Werk, Team leader.