Which grinder is better to grind a wooden bar
In the process of grinding the timber, it is worth adhering to some important safety rules, since the formed small sharp particles of wood can seriously injure a person. In addition, the smallest dust is quite capable of easily entering the respiratory tract.
First you need to purchase a respirator and special protective glasses. It is also recommended to prepare a construction vacuum cleaner with which you can quickly and easily get rid of dust.
How can you grind a bar?
This material can be processed by all kinds of methods and with the help of various devices. Each method has its own pros and cons. The following tools are most commonly used.
- Belt sander. This option is considered optimal for sanding wood surfaces. This unit is the most powerful of all manual machines. It will save a lot of time and effort, as it can handle processing faster than other equipment. In addition, the device allows you to align all the end parts of the structure, remove even the largest irregularities, and, if necessary, form curved shapes.
- Angle grinder (angle grinder). This tool will prove to be a versatile option for woodworking. In this case, you need to choose the right attachments for grinding. Most often, it is these devices that work with materials for painting. In the process of carrying out the procedure, it is better to maintain the technique at minimum speed.
- Electric drill. This tool is used in conjunction with a special grinding wheel. The equipment, as a rule, is used only when there are no special requirements for accuracy and evenness.
Remember that before starting work with a grinding device, the surface of the material should be prepared for this. To do this, you can use a special sandblasting machine or take a simple sandpaper (it is better to use coarse-grained).
In the process of pre-treatment, the wood surface is gradually leveled, the number of chips becomes minimal. If you use glued laminated timber during construction, then you can immediately use a fine abrasive. In any case, do not forget that you will not be able to completely sand the wood with a tool. Almost any such structure has hard-to-reach areas that will have to be leveled manually.
All about bar sanding
During construction and repair work, various wooden materials are used. For interior and exterior decoration, timber is often taken. At the same time, structures made of it must be subjected to special processing and grinding, which will make their surface even and more aesthetic. Today we will talk about how to properly grind a bar, as well as what is the best way to do it.
In order to properly grind the timber with your own hands, to make it completely smooth, you should take into account some important nuances of this procedure. Do not forget that sanding a freshly cut timber is strictly prohibited, since fresh material can quickly clog all the attachments. If wood coatings have acquired a bluish tint, then before the procedure, it is necessary to whiten such a surface using abrasive elements. The grinding technology itself may differ depending on what kind of timber structure will be processed.
When leveling the end sections with a grinder, work should be carried out in several stages, because it is this part of the product that is most often exposed to the negative effects of moisture, begins to swell, crack. Grinding the end should start with a rough leveling, then it will be possible to start finishing and polishing (it is better to do it with an angle grinder).
When all the steps are carried out, the surface of the timber is necessarily covered in several layers with a special protective impregnation for wood.
Rough leveling involves removing black wood pigment from the surface. A small pile should appear at this stage. Finishing sanding involves getting rid of lint, mechanical damage and dents. The polished material must be additionally processed with a vibration nozzle, sandblasting device. This will allow you to finally get rid of minor scratches and other defects that have arisen during work. The stage of impregnation with protective substances is mandatory for all types and species of wood.
A slightly different technology is provided for laminated veneer lumber. This type requires basic sanding immediately after the final assembly of the structure, because this wood is most susceptible to various negative atmospheric influences. In addition, during drying, the fibers of the laminated veneer lumber gradually begin to bulge, and it is almost impossible to remove them by simple grinding.
When leveling the surface of a round timber wall, you will need an angle grinder, but for hard-to-reach areas, you can also use an electric drill or use a special shallow nozzle for an angle grinder.
Remember that even when processing products by manufacturers, all protective impregnations are carefully removed using special abrasives, since after grinding new layers of compounds and antiseptics will have to be applied. Grinding the profiled bar should be carried out in two stages. Leveling is carried out first with a coarse abrasive. After complete shrinkage, the final polishing is done.
The need for grinding
Most buildings are made of non-planed material with uneven bevels. This can significantly spoil the appearance of the structure, therefore, in this case, additional finishing is required, both outside and inside the house. A pre-processed timber has a more aesthetic appearance. Often, after its installation, the coatings are not finished with other decorative materials, therefore, the use of this wood in most cases allows significant savings.
Wood treatment must be done before applying antiseptic and other protective compounds. The grinding procedure significantly extends the service life of the structure, since various protective impregnations on the surface of such a tree penetrate much deeper.
In addition, sanding can enhance the natural beauty of wood and prepare the surface for future painting. It removes all existing irregularities and chips, which allows the coloring substances to evenly fall on the base.
Grinding is best done after thorough drying of the material (especially for profiled surfaces), but before installing door and window structures, installing ceilings and floors. This limitation is due to the abundance of dust that remains after leveling.
Before starting work, it is necessary to carefully prepare the wall coverings from the timber. If you are going to carry out the treatment indoors, then first of all you need to completely get rid of the resin that comes out. You can use a small scraper to do this. Large clots should be removed with special solvents. If the resin is not removed, then it will quickly render the abrasive unusable, clogging its structure, and this will cause the paint to subsequently not be able to evenly lie on the surface of the material.
Before starting grinding, be sure to pay attention to the parameters of the technical equipment. The grinder must have a power of at least 1 kW. The use of a weaker apparatus can lead to the formation of grooves on the surface, the removal of which will be quite problematic. In order for the grinding to be as smooth as possible and the result to be of high quality, you should monitor the progress of the machine and the direction of the wood fibers. They must match each other.
Do not forget to stock up on building paint in advance for further coating the timber. After grinding, it quickly begins to lose its attractive appearance, darkens, which can negatively affect the future coating. Therefore, it is recommended to apply pigments faster. Otherwise, you will have to re-sand the surface.
For information on how to grind a timber with your own hands, see the next video.
You can give the following recommendations: among the companies that produce high-reliability grinding machines, Makita, Bosch, Festool, DeWALT and others stand out, as well as the Russian company Interskol.
- LShM. Skil Masters 7660MA, DeWALT DW433, Makita5032.
- PSHM. Makita BO4557, Bosch GSS280, Sparky MP250, Hitachi SV 12SH, Festool Deltex DX93E.
- EShM. Kress 900MPS, Bosch GEX 125, Metabo SKE425, Inteskol EShM-150.
Model Bosch PBS 75 AE
750 W two-hand sander. It is intended for the treatment of various wooden surfaces, for example, walls made of timber or logs. Belt width 75 mm. Equipped with a system of stepless speed control of the main shaft. Device weight 5.6 kg.
- High productivity allows processing large areas in a short period of time.
- Detachable front handle. Thanks to this, you can sand the wood floor in the area of its abutment to the wall.
- Convenient sanding belt replacement reduces machine set-up time.
- A powerful vacuum cleaner that collects almost all the dust that forms during sanding. The bag can be easily removed for cleaning.
- Sanding belt smooth start system.
- Presence of a plastic storage case. Convenient to carry.
- Relatively large mass. Long-term work on vertical planes causes fatigue.
- A short power cord limits freedom of action. You have to additionally use an extension cord.
- Weak fixation of the speed control wheel. during grinding, it is necessary to constantly monitor its position.
- Increased noise level.
Output. The Bosch PBS 75 AE 0.603.2A1.120 has a higher productivity compared to other models in the same class. This makes it a good choice for entrepreneurs who provide paid services and are interested in getting work done quickly. Due to the high enough price, it seems impractical to buy a machine for use only in the household.
How to choose the right one?
Choosing the right grinder will help you get rid of unnecessary problems and optimally approach the work.
When buying a tool, you need to pay attention to the versatility and orientation of the device, technical parameters, ease of use, manufacturer’s warranty.
It is necessary to realistically assess the scope of the planned work and, based on the need, purchase the necessary tool.
Drum sander is a technique designed mainly for coarse sanding. At the highest level, it also copes with scraping. removing the paint layer from the parquet.
The principle of operation of drum machines is based on the rotation of a cylindrical shaft (drum), “started” by an electric motor. An abrasive belt is installed on the shaft. When the drum rotates, it is closely pressed against the wooden surface and “erases” from it a layer of the specified thickness (depending on the grain size of the abrasive on the belt). On average, during the grinding stage, the drum machine removes a layer of 1-1.5 mm from the surface. This is accompanied by the formation of wood dust and sawdust, therefore, most models of drum machines are equipped with dust collectors.
The abrasive belts used for this type of grinder are quite coarse. P24-40. Therefore, they cannot cope with polishing, and after the passage of the drum machine, it is usually necessary to refine other types of machines (disk, vibration, eccentric).
Any drum grinder is a massive unit that moves on wheels. Weight can vary from 70 to 90 kg (on average). The less weight (respectively, and dimensions) of the machine, the easier it is to operate, but its performance may be lower. If work is coming up in an apartment, then it is better to use a machine with a lighter weight. For large production areas, oversized units are more suitable.
Performance also directly depends on power. The average value is 2.2 kW. The more power, the stronger the mechanical effect on the surface. And the more a large drum (with a wide and long abrasive belt) such a machine will be able to “pull”.
The use of oscillatory technology in grinding machines is typical for new models. Their principle of operation is based on the fact that the engine performs not rotary, but oscillatory motion. The oscillation range (oscillation angle) is more than 3º, which provides an amplitude of more than 5-6 mm.
- low dust formation with the exclusion of its emission in the centrifugal direction;
- the ability to handle complex areas;
- smoothness of work;
- the ability to perform the function of deep cut.
The capabilities of the tool are increased when using an electric motor with a power of more than 0.3 kW.
Model DeWALT DWE6423
Compact sander with 280 watts. The maximum grinding wheel diameter is 125 mm. The rotational speed of the disk is 12000 rpm, and the platform travel is 2.4 mm. It is completed with a dust collector. Operating weight 1.28 kg.
- Convenient to work, allows you to grind wooden parts for long periods of time and not experience fatigue.
- Speed control makes it possible to achieve high quality wood processing with any physical properties. hard, soft, loose.
- Sands any surface, including narrow edges. It is possible to process wood both flat and with the edge of the disc.
- Long wire does not limit the freedom to manipulate the device.
- The cable does not grow dull over time, but always remains elastic.
- Hand vibration protection.
- The velcro sole does not hold some of the sanding discs well enough. This leads to frequent interruptions in work, which in turn reduces productivity.
- Noisiness. When working for a long time, you need to wear headphones.
- No case or bag included. inconvenient to store and transport.
Output. One of the best options for sanding small wooden parts. The use of the device allows not only grinding, but also polishing the surface. A good choice for household use when you do not need to process a lot of wood at high speed. The performance of this machine is highly dependent on the type of wood being processed.
Model Bosch GEX 125-150 AVE
Grinding machine with a power of 400 watts. The equipment includes 2 handles. AVE adjustable power take-off. Rotational speed of the disk is 12000 rpm. Platform stroke 4 mm with a number of vibrations of 24000 rpm. The device is designed to work with a disc with a diameter of up to 150 mm. Weight 2.4 kg. Equipped with vibration absorption system.
- Long service life in intensive use. This property is due to the use of reliable components.
- No vibration during woodworking. Sophisticated system absorbs all vibrations for improved sanding quality and ease of use.
- Low noise. It is possible to use this grinder on objects with increased requirements for sound insulation.
- Secure retention of the disc with Velcro. Simplified platform change with Velcro.
- Convenient adjustment of the speed of rotation of the grinding disc.
- Bulkiness limits the use of the product in cramped conditions, for example, in the corner area of the room.
- Large mass makes it difficult to manipulate the machine.
- The dust collector does not collect all the dust. an additional vacuum cleaner must be used.
- Strong heating at high speeds.
Output. An excellent choice for long-term entrepreneurs. It can be used in furniture production. Branded German quality of parts is a guarantee of long-term use. Significant advantage over other devices in the same class. increased power, which provides excellent performance.
Hand pads for sanding wood
When processing any board, you can rub it with sandpaper over the surface. There will be some result. Only the hand will get tired rather quickly, and the abrasive will heat up, it will become inconvenient to hold it.
For fixing, many use a regular block. A piece of sandpaper is wrapped around it. For the simplest work, this is enough. However, real craftsmen make more comfortable devices.
The sanding pad is made in the following sequence.
- Two wedge slots are sawn through the hardwood board. 2.
- A pair of wedges is also made. 3.
- Cut the skin to a suitable length so that the ends fit into the wedge grooves.
- Then the skin is fixed with wedges in the grooves.
- The finished sanding pad is ready to use.
A simpler block can be made using two self-tapping screws and two stationery pins for paper
- Self-tapping screws are screwed on the non-working part of the shoe (it is more convenient to use self-tapping screws with a press washer).
- The fastening loop of one of the clothespins is inserted under the head of the self-tapping screw on one side, the other is installed on the back of the device.
- Cut sandpaper long enough to clip it into place.
- The block is ready. For the convenience of working from above, it is advisable to fix the handle.
When working with a tree, sometimes it is necessary to process not only planes. Often, to give the original shape, curved grooves are cut or give a complex shape. In order to grind the surface in this case too, the pads are made with a curved working surface (Fig. 3 and Fig. 4).
If it becomes necessary to obtain a strict angle, then use a corner block. There is only one working surface on it. The other surface is used to maintain the exact angle. often done for processing at right angles (90 °), but you can make a similar grinding device at any desired angle.
What parameters should be considered when choosing a floor grinder
All kinds of wood floor sander can be divided into household and professional. The first type of units is characterized by compact dimensions, low weight and affordable cost. The power of these devices reaches only 1 kW. Such units are rarely used. They are able to handle a 15 cm wide space in one go.
Wood floor grinding machines are divided into household and professional.
Professional wood floor sanding tools are large and heavy equipment. Such machines are capable of treating an area with a diameter of up to 60 cm in one go. The units are equipped with protection against engine overheating, equipped with attachments that can be replaced very quickly. Also, such mechanisms have various protector elements in the form of limiters, RCDs, speed switches, rotary ergonomic handles. The value of power consumption for such machines is on average 2-2.5 kW.
Professional units have the ability to adjust the downforce of the abrasive. This allows you to ensure a uniform fit of the nozzle to the surface to be treated, which allows you to get a better result.
When choosing a high-quality grinder, you should pay attention not only to ease of use, but also to the quality of manufacturing of its elements. The unit must have a flat surface without chips, cracks, sagging, coating sagging, a significant gap between parts
Note! It is necessary to ensure the strength and reliability of all fasteners. Professional units are powerful and large-sized equipment. Some models are equipped with additional functions, among which there may be a soft start option, the ability to adjust the engine speed, usually there is an adapter for attaching a dust collector or vacuum cleaner
Some models are equipped with additional functions, among which there may be a soft start option, the ability to adjust the engine speed, usually there is an adapter for attaching a dust collector or vacuum cleaner.
When choosing a specific model, you should also pay attention to the units of well-known manufacturers, such as Aeg, Stanley, Lagler and Bosch, which offer high-quality equipment with a long warranty and proper post-warranty service.
The technology in question is very common.It can be used at home, it is presented in several main stages:
- Primer application.
- By polishing.
Each should be given a lot of attention, since, for example, improper grinding will not allow a high-quality polish.
Fast sanding primer
The surface of a part made of wood, regardless of whether it retains its natural appearance or is covered with wood stain or varnish, is primed.
The primer closes all the pores, as if it seals them.
As a result, the hygroscopicity of the wood decreases, and the paint lays down better and more evenly than on an unprimed surface.
Make sure the room you are working in is dry, dust-free and not too cool. This will create the ideal working environment. It is more convenient to apply the primer with a soft flat brush.
The primer dries up in about half an hour. But wait at least an hour before sanding the primed surface with the finest grit (40). Work only in the direction of the grain of the wood, change the skin more often and knock out the fine dust that forms during sanding.
The surface, which seemed to be perfectly smooth, became rough and fluffy after moistening.
On the prepared surface, gently apply the diluted primer with a flat brush.
What are the benefits of hand grinding?
In the absence of a special tool, grinding can be carried out with manual surface treatment. This requires only a special block, as well as a grain of skins suitable for a particular type of work. Among the features of this process, we note the following points:
- The design has a special fastening element, due to which the fastening of sandpaper is ensured.
- A coarse sandpaper can be used to grind a product with a high roughness. This is due to the fact that the small one wears out quickly. Grinding should be carried out in several stages, due to which a high level of smoothness is achieved.
- Hand grinding is often carried out when the product has a small area.
- By using a bar of various sizes and shapes, complex products can be processed.
Manual grater for grinding wood The manual method has been used for quite a long time. It should be borne in mind that it is possible to achieve the required result only if you have a lot of work experience.
If there are no special tools for sanding wood, then you can do this manually. For work, it is enough to have only a skin and a special bar that you can make with your own hands. The advantages include the following points:
- Low cash costs.
- Can be sanded on any surface and hard-to-reach areas.
- Grinding can also be carried out in the absence of an energy source.
High quality can only be achieved with the use of a special skin. The polishing of the stain coatings is carried out in order not to apply the topcoat. Among the features of this procedure, we note:
- A skin with the finest grain is selected, suitable for polishing.
- A special polishing agent may be added.
- The speed of movement of the abrasive during polishing should be maximum.
Only after applying the polish can you polish. The technology is as follows:
- The substance is applied with a swab, which must be well saturated.
- Withstands some time, required for the substance to dry on the surface. The tree is wiped with a clean rag.
- Apply two more coats of varnish.
It takes about two days to dry the wood. After that, you can carry out the final polishing.
What and how can you grind
If you need wood processing, you need to choose the best tool. In this case, the following features should be taken into account:
- Product variety. These can be load-bearing structures made of timber, windows and doors, furniture parts, decorative elements. Each of the products has the best option, which allows you to achieve maximum quality with a minimum of time and effort.
- Grinding quality. This is a rather important factor. In some cases, it is enough to smooth out large roughness, in others. to bring the surface to perfection. Therefore, before starting work, it is important to prepare brushes and discs that have different grain sizes.
- Scope of work. Small structures can be handled manually, large ones require an electric tool.
The following devices are used for sanding wood:
- angle grinder;
- surface grinder;
- belt sander;
- hand tool.
The vibrating tool helps to successfully polish surfaces. Also, such devices allow you to get a good result when removing old paint or varnishing. For work, use sheets or circles with an abrasive surface. To fix them on the sole, soles or Velcro are used.
5 Easy Ledge Grinds
How to sand timber walls
In this case, the same tools are suitable as for processing logs. In this case, it is necessary to assess how much wood layer needs to be removed. If the bathhouse is made of glued or profiled timber, nothing needs to be leveled. In such a situation, it is sufficient to use an angle grinder. If you have little experience, it is better to take an eccentric machine.
Important! Walls made of ordinary timber need to be well leveled. In this case, you need to use an angle grinder.
Wood sanding rules
How to properly grind wood with an angle grinder or other tools? This question interests many.
When is the best time to grind
Grinding the frame is required after the main shrinkage. During this period, the log dries up, which makes it easier to work with it. It can be difficult to remove even a thin layer from raw wood. If the log house is made of dried wood, it can be processed immediately.
Which is better for sanding wood. grinder or sander
Repair work is often accompanied by the need to sand the wood. There are many options for performing this procedure. Each of the methods has certain pros and cons. Many people are interested in. what is the best way to grind wood: an angle grinder or a grinder? Further in the material a detailed answer to this question.
Sanding wood has a variety of features
angle grinder discs for rust removal and paint stripping
Pros and cons of wood sanding tools
Different tools can be used when sanding wood surfaces at home.