Why a Lawn Mower Doesn’t Collect Grass in a Grass Collector
In this article, we will talk about how to make the right choice for the optimal lawn mower for a summer cottage and garden, what to look for, and also offer our own rating of popular models.
How to choose a lawn mower
First, we recommend deciding on the key technical differences between the models. Usually consumers do not see much difference between the categories presented below, but this will inevitably lead to the wrong choice.
The main types
The following categories of equipment are presented on the Russian market:
Based on the foregoing, we can draw the following conclusion – the lawn mower is the best solution for processing areas that have a flat landscape and simple geometry.
Source of energy
Developers are trying to satisfy the needs of a huge target audience with their individual needs. To perform this task, I had to release a lot of models with different drive options. They are discussed below.
- Electric motor without battery. It is ecologically safe, it is not necessary to constantly purchase fuel and oil, it is characterized by low noise level. The disadvantages are the need to connect to the electrical network, you will have to use an extension cord, and the power remains very limited.
- Electric motor with battery. The advantages are identical to those described above, but have high mobility. If we are talking about robotic lawnmowers, a person will not have to participate in the process. The disadvantages are the same, but to the list mentioned earlier it will be necessary to add a long charge and a limited operating time of the equipment from the battery.
- Petrol engine. It has high performance, designed to operate in harsh conditions, works for a long period of time. Reliability has to be paid for by the constant purchase of fuel and oil, high noise and the need for timely maintenance.
- Without engine, with muscle drive. Despite the complete absence of noise, the minimum price and the absence of restrictions in terms of weather, mowing them with thick or tall grass, alas, will not work.
According to the type of drive, the equipment is also divided into four categories.
- Front wheels They can only be used on a flat lawn. Models with a similar design are characterized by ease of operation, maneuverability when making a turn / turn.
- Rear wheels The rear axle drive provides easy operation on uneven areas with large elevations. Rear-wheel drive is very specific, as the turning radius is significantly increased. To quickly change the trajectory of movement, sometimes you have to stop.
- All wheels. The presence of all-wheel drive allows you to work in any weather, such lawn mowers are easy to raise or lower from the hill. All-wheel drive equipment belongs to the premium segment. Due to the high cost, it is not accessible to everyone. Also, models weigh up to 50 kilograms, which complicates transportation and winter conservation.
- Without drive. Weight averages about 15 kilograms, equipment is characterized by high efficiency. True, it will have to be constantly pushed, and the power leaves much to be desired.
The equipment is divided into three categories depending on the performance of the power unit.
Low Power Class Lawn Mowers
Electric models deliver power up to 1,500 watts, while gasoline engines – up to two and a half horsepower.
It is a compact solution with minimal weight, which is great for processing a small, even garden lawn with flower beds. True, the cutting width is relatively small – no more than 40 centimeters. To mow the lawn, you have to prepare in advance for a great waste of time and effort. The equipment belonging to the low-power class cannot boast of high functionality in general.
Medium Power Lawn Mowers
The performance of electric models is from 1.5 to 2 kilowatts, gasoline engines from two and a half to six horsepower.
Pay attention to this category if you have to process areas with irregularities and slight slopes of the surface. The equipment easily cuts weeds with a thick stem, significantly reducing the amount of time for cutting. Among the shortcomings, we note the relatively large dimensions and weight, as well as the increased cost against the background of a low-power class.
High Power Class Lawn Mowers
This is a premium equipment where only internal combustion engines act as a drive. Their performance starts at around 6 horsepower.
This is a highly efficient reliable equipment, divided into two categories – professional and semi-professional. To match the level, manufacturers endow their equipment with various functional solutions. There are two drawbacks, and both of them are related to finance – the high cost of both the models themselves and their subsequent after-sales service.
Rating of popular lawn mowers 2019
So, above we examined the main parameters that you need to pay attention to when making a purchase. Now move on to the specifics.
Husqvarna LC 140
Model Husqvarna LC 140 is a practical solution for owners of country houses with a personal plot. Buyers note the simplicity and ease of use.
The 125 cc 2.4-horsepower engine runs smoothly in all conditions – Briggs and Stratton technology fosters this. Grass flies into a soft grass catcher located at the rear of the structure. The tank has a volume of 800 milliliters, which is enough for an hour of intensive use.
The only drawback, according to customers, is the large packaging, which will result in overpayments for delivery from other regions.
Wheel lawn mower CHAMPION LM4215 belongs to the budget class. Equipped with a soft grass catcher of 40 liters. It is characterized by a small, as for its class, noise level – 96 dB. Lateral discharge is not provided.
A distinctive advantage of the equipment against competitors is the presence of a separate tank for filling oil. This makes it easier to prepare for the next processing session. As necessary, the user can choose the optimal level of bevel height from five available.
Video: Why a Lawn Mower Doesn’t Collect Grass in a Grass Collector
Among the disadvantages, it is worth noting the lack of a power regulator, as well as the specificity of maneuvering in cramped conditions.
GARDENA PowerMax 1400/34
The GARDENA PowerMax 1400/34 is another budget-friendly machine equipped with a 1.4 kW electric motor. Grass catcher – hard type. It is located behind, under the handle, behind the wheelbase. Compared with competitors, it has a very low weight – only 9700 grams in a fully complete state.
The manufacturer claims that the cord length is enough to handle a landscape area of 400 square meters. The presence of an electric motor significantly reduced the level of generated noise, bringing it to 79 dB.
Oleo-Mac G 48 PK Comfort Plus
The Oleo-Mac G 48 PK Comfort Plus Lawn Mower is professional-grade equipment designed to handle large areas.
The model is equipped with a four-stroke gasoline engine with a volume of 140 cm³. One full tank of 1 liter is enough to process an area of 1400 square meters. Grass enters a soft-type container. Depending on personal preferences and features of the processed landscape, the owner can choose one of six cutting height modes. The total weight of the wheeled lawnmower is 25.4 kilograms.
PATRIOT PT 42 LS
Lawnmower PATRIOT PT 42 LS is one of the best mid-range models on the domestic market.
The curb weight is 27 kilograms. It is justified by the presence of a self-propelled mechanism, thanks to which, the owner does not have to push the equipment.
The soft grass catcher does not absorb unpleasant odors, which makes the model one of the best for country houses and summer cottages. The gas engine has a power of three and a half horsepower.
Hyundai L 4310
The best option from the middle price range is the Hyundai L 4310. This lawn mower copes with terrain processing of any level of complexity. For only 13 thousand, the buyer receives reliable equipment that supports six options for adjusting the cutting height.
The oil and gas tank make it unnecessary for the user to mix fuel and lubricant. The model is compatible with popular mulching nozzles. A fuel tank of one liter is enough to handle more than 1200 square meters of area. The engine has a long service life, therefore, does not require constant maintenance.
BOSCH Rotak 43 LI (0.600.8A4.507)
One of the most successful models from the German manufacturer. BOSCH Rotak 43 LI (0.600.8A4.507) is a professional-class model that does not require service maintenance of the motor and other components.
The grass catcher is hard, has a large volume of 50 liters. Installation of a mulching nozzle is supported. There are six options for cutting height to choose from. The electric motor is powered by an integrated rechargeable battery with a capacity of 4 ampere hours and a voltage of 36 volts.
Standard equipment consists of two rechargeable batteries, each of which is charged for two hours.
Makita PLM4628N is a self-propelled lawnmower equipped with rear-wheel drive. One full tank is enough to process an area of 1,400 square meters.
Thanks to the use of new technologies, it was possible to reduce motor noise to 87 dB. Grass can be ejected in different directions – not only in the grass catcher, but also backward, to the left or right side.
The power unit from Briggs and Stratton implements all the advanced technological solutions. There is a motor brake. Perhaps this is the best option for the money.
Using a gasoline lawn mower to mow the lawn, you must be careful and follow the operating rules exactly. After completion of work, the device must be cleaned, as even a slight clogging can block the moving mechanism. If frequent breakdowns of the mower occur: a review and solution of problems can be found by reading this article.
The main reason for the failure of the mechanism can be called misuse. Having knowledge of the principle of operation and mechanisms of gardening technology, you can fix the problems yourself. But it’s better to consult a specialist, especially in case of serious damage. Among the failures that occur most often, the following can be distinguished:
- Unusual garden technology noise. This usually happens due to loosening of the bolts or poor fixing of the housing. It is necessary to carefully inspect all nodes and tighten the bolts. If the noise resembles a whistle – most likely a foreign object has got into the mechanism. It is necessary to turn off the mechanism and remove the foreign object;
- The case shakes unnaturally during operation. Most likely, the cause is a malfunction of the cutting element that needs to be replaced;
- The mower does not start. First you need to check if there is enough gasoline in the tank. If everything is okay with this and the engine is not working, a possible cause may be a defective spark plug. In other cases, it is recommended to consult a specialist, since it will not be easy to repair the mower yourself;
- The engine does not gain momentum and immediately stalls. The cause may be jamming of the mechanism. If this happens due to lack of lubrication, it is necessary to add oil to the crankcase and set the mechanism in motion;
- Rough lawn surface. This means that the cutting elements are dull and cut grass poorly. It is necessary to sharpen knives, and it is better to replace them with new ones;
- The mower does not ride or movement is difficult. First of all, you should check whether the cutting height is selected correctly.
All of these malfunctions can be eliminated independently without contacting specialists.
It is worth listing a few tricks thanks to which you can keep your garden equipment in excellent condition and minimize the need for special maintenance.
- If the lawnmower has not worked for a long time, it is necessary to drain the stagnant gasoline, as shown in the photo;
- Gently pour high-quality gasoline into an empty tank with a watering can;
- If necessary, add a carburetor swap primer and set the maximum speed.
Lawn Mower Does Not Start
- If the engine does not start, check the position of the choke. If the air temperature exceeds 30 ° C, you need to set the middle position;
- With long-term operation of the equipment, it is necessary to take breaks for 5 minutes to avoid overheating of the engine;
- It is necessary to check whether gasoline got on the spark plug;
- If the gas in the tank is stagnant, it is worth changing it to a new one;
- It is necessary to check whether the filter passes air well; if necessary, rinse it;
- You can pump fuel into the carburetor using a primer.
If the mower does not ride, check the drive belt – it may be worn out and needs to be replaced.
The mower is not gaining momentum
The cause may be such malfunctions:
- It is necessary to inspect the muffler – perhaps it is clogged;
- The grass is wound on a shaft and this does not twist the knife, as shown in the photo;
- Rust on the mechanism and parts;
If the mower does not work at full power, it is necessary to disassemble and clean the mechanism.
Lawn Mower Does Not Collect Grass
The cause of this may be malfunctioning or blunt knives. In order to avoid this situation, you need to install new knives every season. You can do with sharpening knives at an angle of 30 °.
When sharpening, you must protect yourself with special glasses and protective gloves. After sharpening, you need to test the balancing of the knives.
Knives are incorrectly adjusted
This can be seen on the uneven surface of the lawn. Before making any adjustments, you must turn off the mower and wear protective gloves.
The gap between the cylinder and the knives should be uniform in all areas and not exceed the thickness of the sheet of office paper. Even to control the gaps, the same paper is used. It is inserted between the cylinder and the knife, after which the drum rotates. It is necessary to adjust the knives until the paper is cut evenly at any point on the knife.
After reviewing the information, we can conclude that with proper work with garden equipment and timely maintenance, most of the problems can be avoided. If the trouble nevertheless happened and the lawn mower does not work at full capacity, you can try to fix the breakdown yourself or contact a service center.