Why does the chain fly off on a chainsaw
Consequences of poor-quality repairs
The consequences of poor-quality repairs can be very sad, the chain at the moment of breaking can injure the operator. Of course, modern saws are equipped with all kinds of protection. For example, catchers are installed on them, which are designed to protect the operator in an emergency, and the right hand, which is located on the mowing line of the chain, is hidden behind the body.
But, protection does not give a 100% guarantee, therefore, before using a repair chain with maximum load, you need to test it on light work, cut a couple of branches or boards.
Also, the consequences of poor-quality repairs can affect the performance of the chainsaw. Consider what mistakes can be made during repairs and how they will affect the operation of the saw.
There are two ways to stretch the chain: fast and frontal. It is best to stretch in the frontal way.
If you carry out a frontal tension, then you need to unscrew the nuts that hold the tire and lift it over the edge. With a special bolt on the right, you need to tighten the chain until an acceptable tension is obtained, and then raise the tire even higher and clamp it.
Important! It is worth remembering that only a cold chain can be pulled. If you pull the chains overheated after operation, then after cooling it can burst and damage the tire (according to the laws of physics, hot metal always expands).
If using the quick tightening method, first lift the wing nut handle and loosen it. Then tighten the chain tensioning screw clockwise as far as it will go. Then retighten the wing nut and lower the handle.
Chainsaw device features
The main part of a gasoline saw is the engine. In most modern devices, the engine is single-cylinder. Air cooling, two-stroke piston system.
Oil in these types of engines is added directly to gasoline, and all due to the fact that the fuel is constantly flushing the crankcase. The oil-to-gasoline ratio varies from 1:20 to 1:50 depending on the manufacturer of the chainsaw.
The air filter on gasoline saws plays an equally important role. It needs regular cleaning. If the filter is heavily contaminated, dust from it will fall directly into the piston system, which will lead to engine damage.
If the filter is clogged, the saw loses speed and the engine starts to overheat, which can lead to burning of the piston rings.
Did you know? The beginning of the production of gasoline saws is considered the end of the 1920s. The first chainsaws were produced by STIHL.
The starter on gasoline saws is a rope with a handle that you pull on to activate the motor. When you pull on the rope, the teeth catch the ratchet, the flywheel starts to spin.
Many people complain that they have to pull the rope for a long time to ignite the engine. It depends on whether the carburetor is correctly aligned. If the carburetor produces the correct oil-gasoline mixture, then there should be no problems.
The main working mechanism is a tire with a chain.
The chain consists of three types of teeth: leading, cutting and connecting. They are riveted together. Cutting teeth are located on two sides: right and left.
Chains are divided into two types: high profile and low profile. The first type includes chains, in which the teeth are located with a large gap, the second. with a smaller gap. Chains can also vary in shank thickness and link length. The chainsaw chain is attached to a bar that guides it in the correct direction. The end of the tire has a specific groove that holds the links and allows the chain to rotate. A driven sprocket is located at the front of the tire. The chain together with the bar is called a headset, since they are detachable parts of the chainsaw.
Important! If the carburetor is not adjusted correctly, then when starting the saw motor, you will have to pull the starter rope for a long time.
The gasoline saw has an automatic chain lubrication system. The tire supplies oil, which is then absorbed by the sawdust. If the saw is idling, the oil supply stops.
Tools required for work
When starting riveting, the first step is to remove the link from the chain, for this you need to rivet the rivets. For riveting, you will need an anvil, a hammer, a fine barb, a vise, an angle grinder with a grinding wheel, or emery. These tools do not allow you to do a good job, but everyone can find them. A more cultured and gentle way, remove rivets with a special punch.
There are several designs of punch holes, let’s talk about the most popular.
How to tension: installing the chainsaw cutting element
We have analyzed the main reasons for the sagging chain. How to install a chain on a chainsaw is described in the paragraph above. Now you need to correctly tighten the chain, and check if it will overtighten.
Keyless tensioning system
It began to be used relatively recently, it is considered new, if not advanced. Differs from the classic nut, as follows:
- another tensioner mechanism;
- lack of an external tightening nut;
- adjustment without additional tools.
Instead of a turnkey nut for 13 on the lid, there is a wing (swivel cap) with a handle for tightening by hand. It also has a nut, but it is hidden inside. Instead of an adjusting screw for a screwdriver in this system, the tension is carried out using a tension wheel (adjusting knob).
Instead of a gear shaft, there is a sprocket and a tension washer.
- the mechanism itself is more complicated than a traditional wrench;
- the installation of the cutting attachment causes additional problems, because complicates the process of pairing all the parts in the right order;
- less adjustment stroke, a slightly stretched chain will still serve with a traditional tensioning system, here it will sag and become unusable.
Chain Keeps Falling off Chainsaw. Clean. Fix, Diagnosing
How to rivet
The riveted link is installed on the chain and laid on the anvil with the open side up. After that, the top plate is put on the rivets and lightly tapped with a hammer so that it sits as tightly as possible. After that, you can start flattening the rivets. For this, an anvil, a barb and a hammer are used.
The headset is placed on the anvil, the barb is placed on the rivet and a sharp blow is made with a hammer. The second rivet is riveted in the same way. As a result, in the protruding part of the rivet, a thickening should be obtained, which will reliably hold the upper link plate, preventing it from disconnecting.
At the last stage, it is necessary to check that the chain link moves and it is not jammed when riveting.
Fixing a chainsaw that throws its chain.
Important: if the work was not carried out correctly and the repair link does not go, then you cannot install such a chain on a chainsaw.
Consider what can happen if the rivet is not correct.
Why the chain flies, we find out the reasons
If you are wondering why the chain on your chainsaw flies, then there is some kind of malfunction in the mechanism. There are three main reasons for this problem: bar malfunction, chain stretch, and loose sprocket. Let’s take a closer look at each of the possible causes of breakdown.
Why does the chain stretch?
Most often it is the poor quality of the saw element itself. If you notice signs of stretching, then the part must be replaced immediately.
Chain lubrication problems
For proper operation, the chain must be constantly lubricated in order to reduce friction between the tire and the links, as well as to prevent premature wear of the links.
- If the chain is not lubricated on the chainsaw, then there is a problem with the oil pump. oil is not supplied due to a clogged channel. Lack of lubrication is the reason why the chain stretches or why the chain breaks. Clean the channels, the smallest particles of shavings constantly get there and clog them. May also cut off the oil hose. If you need to adjust the oil pump of the chainsaw or repair it, it is better to contact the service.
- Splashes oil from the chain. Incorrectly selected lubricant. it is too liquid, therefore it does not so much lubricate the links as splashes on the wood. Replaces grease with a thicker one.
The chain falls
Why does the chain fly off the tire? There may be several reasons and they are all different:
- Drive or driven sprocket is worn. Due to the fact that the sprocket is worn out, the adhesion to the chain decreases, which is why the chain flies off the chainsaw. Sprocket replacement required.
- The chain has stretched out. Why does the chain stretch on a chainsaw. due to insufficient lubrication. The metal heats up and stretches, albeit by a fraction of a millimeter, but if you take into account the number of links, then even 3-4 mm is enough for the chain to fly off the tire. The chain needs to be changed.
- The chain tensioner, which regulates its tension, is loosened. how to adjust the chainsaw, or rather the chain tension? You need to adjust the tensioner. this can be done in just a few minutes.
Stalls and does not work at idle:
- The muffler is clogged. It is necessary to remove carbon deposits.
- Lost carburetor settings. Idling adjustment is required on the chainsaw. It is carried out using the adjusting bolts marked L and H. How to adjust the idle speed, see the article on adjusting the carburetor.
Chainsaw chain. reasons for sagging, tension and checking
A gasoline saw is a tool that requires regular, gentle maintenance, without which it quickly becomes unusable. This service includes a number of operations:
- Tensioning the chain
- Oil lubrication
- Cleaning the air filter
- Removal of contamination
It is especially necessary to ensure that the chain of such a saw is properly tensioned, otherwise it will not only quickly become unusable, but can also cause serious injury if this element unexpectedly flies off during operation at high speeds.
Not gaining momentum
The problem manifests itself at startup. The chainsaw does not develop speed, it works in jerks or idle, stalls, starts from the pusher, when starting it beats back.
- If the device does not keep idling, the reasons may be a clogged filter, poor-quality combustible mixture, carburetor, ignition module, or deformation of engine elements under load.
- If the saw is not producing full power, check the carburetor. There is a possibility that the settings of the worker node are set incorrectly. Adjust the “H” jumper, which is responsible for cutting under load. To do this, adjust the fuel delivery at high speed.
- Does not slow down. The problem is that the device can quickly develop speed at high revs and not drop it. It is necessary to check the functioning of the throttle valve, switching the toggle switch, the presence of a corkscrew on the throttle shaft.
- Accelerates rotation speed uncontrollably. Causes may be in the carburetor, fuel delivery system, connectors leading to the carburetor.
- The technique works only on suction. The reason is improper preparation of the fuel mixture, a large amount of oil.
These are the main, most common causes of this type of malfunction.
Why does the chain fly off?
Why does it break off, or why it gets stuck during prolonged work with a chainsaw. There may be several reasons why the chain breaks, but the most common of them is mechanical damage to the tire on which the saw element of the tool is held.
Shoots the carburetor:
- Ignition too late. the air-fuel mixture does not have time to burn out in the cylinder, so a sound that looks like a small explosion is obtained.
- Lean air-fuel mixture. Too little gasoline enters the mixture. adjusting the chainsaw, or rather the jets, is required in order to increase the fuel supply. Why the chainsaw thrusts itself. for the same reason.