Why does the chainsaw quit when you accelerate?
Husqvarna 142 stalls on throttle
Hello! If you’ve ended up on this web page, your chainsaw is probably stopping when you step on the gas, not you want to know why this is happening and what to do about it. Well, let me try to help you with this problem by breaking down the most common causes of such a nuisance, and similarly methods for fixing them.
To begin with, for first-time users, I’ll tell you that you probably need to warm up your chainsaw for about a minute at idle before you start your day’s work. Until the engine has warmed up, the saw may stall on adding gas.
What you need, if the warmed up chainsaw works at idle, but shuts down on load, it means that:
- the carburettor is wrongly set or otherwise clogged. the most common case;
- it lacks air and its consumption sharply increases at higher rpm. it means that the air filter is dirty (it is a rare case, because the filter is dirty gradually, so the user notices the loss of power first);
- it lacks fuel, the consumption of which also increases with increasing speed. this means that the fuel filter is dirty (also an infrequent case);
- the most unpleasant situation is when there is too much friction between the piston and the cylinder wall, because the fuel mixture is not filled with oil. after the chain saw works that way you are more likely to have the piston group repaired, because the piston and the cylinder wall get scuffed, which prevents the chain saw from working.
Not enough oil in the fuel mixture
At first, let us analyze the most unpleasant case. Why? Because before you do filter manipulations it is better to make sure that you have oil and gasoline mixed in the right proportions.
Here, however, it is worth noting that if your saw has already been started many times (nettles, times ten), but continues to start, and then again to stall at higher revs, then apparently with the fuel our customer is fine. Otherwise it would have stopped starting.
In any case I recommend you to dispel the slightest doubt about the fuel quality, when your saw stalls at revs in the beginning Since, if the reason is in the fuel, then, as already written above, of course fall on expensive repairs. And so far, it is doing very well. To dispel doubts is to drain the old fuel from the tank not pour in freshly made, in which oil not gasoline are mixed in the correct proportion.
It is better to look in the instruction manual of your saw for the right spark plug ratio. In the case where you have lost the oil, then look at the ratio on the oil package. Usually it is 1:50 or in other words 1:40. If you use oil “non-native” (and, nettles, for STIHL chain saws “native” will also be almost nothing STIHL), I recommend using the ratio 1:40, if the oil package says 1:50.
If the chainsaw does not start and stops, the performance of the simplest sawing jobs is out of the question. Spontaneous failures can happen not only with budget-priced tools but also with quite prestigious models from leading manufacturers.
Spark is there, spark plug is wet. how to fix the problem?
Wet spark plug indicates a violation of the proportion in the preparation of the fuel mixture. In this condition, the part at first is still able to form a spark, but gradually this property is lost. In addition to the wrong oil to fuel ratio, there are a number of other reasons why the element floods.
- Severe clogging of the air filter;
- Failures in the settings of the carburetor;
- malfunctions in the work of the regular ignition system;
- wrong sequence of actions when starting a cold motor;
- poor gasoline quality.
In the first case, the chainsaw repair is performed by thoroughly cleaning or completely replacing the air filter of the tool.
If the tool began to consume a large amount of fuel while working, and the engine speed began to “float” constantly, decreasing and increasing every 5-10 seconds, then the owner of the chainsaw should adjust the carburetor.
With the repair of the regular ignition system, everything is a little more complicated. To do this, you should check all electrical wiring and measure the gap between the high-voltage wire and the tip of the plug. If necessary, the ignition system must also be cleaned of blockages.
If you cannot find any of these problems, then you need to read the manual. The operator may have started the tool in the wrong order.
If none of the above helped, then the cause of the failure is poor-quality fuel. In that case you need to drain the rest of the gasoline and pour a new fuel with a higher octane number.
Why the chainsaw stalls under load
In some cases, the chain saw is unable to operate normally when under load and simply shuts down. A common cause of this behavior is improper carburetor adjustment or air leaks through the crankshaft oil seals or the carburetor gasket. This behavior may also be caused by a leaking carburetor.
The best way to diagnose and correct a chainsaw that starts up and shuts down under load is at a service center. к. You need a special tool to check the carburetor and crankcase for leaks.
A saw that is unable to work under load will also have difficulty holding idle speed. They will “float”. Diagnosis begins with a check for leaks in the crankcase and carburetor. If you find leakage of air through the oil seals of the crankshaft, they must be replaced. If you find air leakage in the carburetor, you can eliminate the cause by installing a repair set of gaskets.
Only after the above actions have failed and the engine crankcase with the carburetor sealed, you can proceed to the adjustment of the carburetor.
The reason for this algorithm in the following, if the air suction from the crankcase is not eliminated, and just carburetor was adjusted to the normal operation of the engine, the fuel mixture will contain more fuel than it is required by the sealed crankcase, which in turn will significantly increase its consumption. Also, most likely, in the engine will appear soot, which will also have a negative impact on the further work of the chainsaw.
In some models of chainsaws, to ensure the operation of the fuel pump, special hoses are installed, which transmit the air pulse from the engine crankcase to the carburetor fuel pump. If this hose is frayed, the saw will run irregularly at idle and will not run at all under load.
Owners of Husqvarna 137 and Husqvarna 142 chain saws should first check the impulse hose if any problem occurs with the engine. к. this is considered the most common cause of these chainsaws.
Why a chainsaw just shuts down under load
In some cases, the chainsaw just won’t work right under load and throttles up. A common cause of this behavior is improper carburetor adjustment or air leaks through the crankshaft oil seals or carburetor gasket. This can also be caused by a leaking carburetor.
It is best to have the cause of the problem diagnosed and fixed at a service center, since a chain saw starts and shuts down under load. к. special tools are needed to check carburetor and engine crankcase tightness.
A saw that is unable to operate under load will also have difficulty holding idle speed. They will “float”. Start by checking carburetor and crankcase for leaks. If you find leakage of air through the crankshaft oil seals, they need to be replaced. If you find air leaks in the carburetor, you can eliminate the cause by installing a repair set of gaskets.
Only after the above steps have failed and the engine crankcase with a carburetor tight, you can proceed to the adjustment of the carburetor.
The reason for this algorithm is the following, if the air leakage from the crankcase is not eliminated, but the carburetor was just adjusted to the normal engine operation, the fuel mixture will contain more fuel than it is required by the sealed crankcase, which in turn will significantly increase its consumption. It is also likely that the engine will be laden with soot, which will also have a negative influence on the further operation of the chain saw.
Some chainsaw models have special hoses that transmit the air pulse from the engine crankcase to the carburetor fuel pump to keep the fuel pump running. If this hose fractures, the saw will run irregularly when idling and will not run at all under load.
Owners of household chainsaws Husqvarna 137 and Husqvarna 142 should first check the impulse hose if there are any deviations from normal engine operation, t. к. it is considered the most common cause of these chainsaw failures.
Air filter clogging
The main cause of a clogged air filter is fine dust produced while sawing wood. Sawing raw wood is especially clogged. Of all the causes of a chainsaw stalling, this is the most common. Some models are an exception. For example, a STIHL chain saw stops for many reasons, but not because of a clogged air filter. Because her carburetor has a compensator that draws in air if the filter fails. Particles of wood dust get under the housing and are sucked in by the filter mounted on the carburetor. A clogged screen creates resistance to air, and less air enters the carburetor. To clean the air filter, you must remove the covering cap and separate it from the carburetor.
Before removing the machine, brush off the sawdust or blow it out with air. Then remove the filter so that no debris enters the carburetor. The carburettor should be covered with a rag for the time of cleaning. Then close the filter with compressed air from the inside and refit it.
STIHL chain saw cuts out: Reasons
If the tool cuts out shortly after starting, there is something wrong with the machine or a part. To determine the cause, test the mechanism yourself or in a service shop. Sometimes the cause of the machine starting poorly is improper maintenance of the saw:
- insufficient gasoline volume;
- poorly prepared fuel mixture;
- Poor lubrication;
- A muffler clogged with combustion products;
- unadjusted carburetor;
- air filter is leaking;
- Piston or cylinder failure.
When pushing on the gas
Sawing units run at idle, but the chainsaw stalls when the throttle is depressed, t. к. higher load. The tool is warmed up before use by running the engine at idle for a minute. If this is neglected, the engine stops after the pedal is depressed. Other causes may include:
- Clogged or unadjusted fuel mixing unit;
- clogged air filter does not produce the proper airflow when the load is increased;
- contaminated gasoline filter does not allow the correct amount of mixture to pass;
- The cylinder wall and piston are rubbing.
Low fuel octane rating becomes the cause of braking, t. к. this circumstance does not allow the engine to reach the required power when the load is increased.
At idle speed
A malfunction in the fuel system leads to air intake. In this case, the unit stalls at idle speed and does not hold their number. Additional suction decreases the air pulse to the fuel pump and goes through the sump diaphragm or crankshaft seals. Diagnose with a vacuum gauge.
Stoppage of engine operation in the cold occurs for other reasons:
- the spark plug passage contains an excessive amount of combustible mixture;
- the gap between the spark plug tip and high voltage cradle is not adjusted;
- Power unit malfunction.
Check oil seals by pouring petrol into the crankcase, leakage can be seen visually. So, the engine does not work at idle speed, and at high frequency leaky seals will lead to jamming of the bearings. If the elements are leaking, they are replaced with new ones and sealed.
At full throttle
Sometimes the engine stops after idling. To determine the cause, it is necessary to look at the surrounding circumstances:
- Engine stalls in the middle of operation for no apparent reason. The starter is in a stationary position and does not turn. Means the tool is jammed and needs urgent repair.
- During normal operation, power is reduced for a short time and the engine stops, the cylinders are overheated. The situation indicates air leakage under the rubber nozzle between the carburetor cylinder, possibly due to a tear. The air is depleting the fuel, the nozzle must be replaced.
Does not pick up speed
There are many mechanical systems involved in starting the machine and it could be the result of various factors that cause the STIHL chain saw to run out of speed after idling. Steady idling and motor stalling under load can occur for the following reasons:
- engine life is exhausted;
- Wear, deformation and corrosion of the piston group
- ignition coil or spark plug failure;
- carburetor screws are out of balance.
If the tool does not rev up, the fuel cap hole is obstructed. Occurrence of vacuum does not give the right amount of fuel, therefore the engine does not gain the required power. RPMs decrease when carbon monoxide builds up in the muffler, making it difficult to evacuate combustion gases.
The engine speed does not drop
The tool quickly reaches maximum RPM and power is not diminished. This situation is explained by the fact that:
- Throttle doesn’t work because of weakened spring or traction element;
- occasional failure of on-off toggle switch;
- no corkscrew on the throttle axle;
- carburetor is clogged;
- the fuel hose and gasoline filter are not working properly.
What to do
The power tool is operated according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Only after checking the chain tensioning does the machine start. Check that the fuel and oil tanks are filled at the same time and hold the machine securely in hand. If the machine still fails to operate when you follow the instructions, it is time to repair the STIHL chain saw.
How to start your STIHL chain saw: Instruction manual
The tool builder has taken all measures and designed the manual so that the machine is easy to start. The user will keep himself safe from injury if he follows the suggested intervals:
- Switch on the ignition and turn the crank handle down. The air inlet from the air filter is blocked by the carburettor choke. To start the chain saw correctly, the throttle valve has to be open so that the fuel-enriched mixture is replenished.
- The lever is set in the gas position. The starter motor is jerked several times until the first spark is felt. If the flash passes, the tool is ready to go. The mechanism operates at high rpm because of a closed throttle diaphragm. To return it to idle, briefly press the throttle trigger. The number of revolutions quickly returns to normal.
- No accessories are provided as standard on the STIHL MC model so you can start the chain saw in a lighter version.
Idle speed adjustment
Carry out service work on the tool before beginning the calibration procedure. In order for the idle speed adjustment to be effective, preventive maintenance is done:
To adjust the no-load speed, use the adjusting screw. Its rotation depends on the desired setting:
- For standard adjustments turn the thumbwheel against the clock hand until it turns in a tight turn. Then circle around 2 times in the direction of the arrow.
- If the chain saw is operated at a low rpm, turn the screw clockwise until the chain starts to run. Then half turn in counterclockwise direction.
- At high frequency, the regulator is turned against the hand of the clock until the chain stops. After that, continue to rotate another half-turn in the same direction.
It is not possible to adjust the idle speed if there is air leaking into the engine through the gasket, acceleration pump, seals, or other reason.
Setting the ignition
Gasoline engines are equipped with an ignition system that ignites the fuel. The timing of the flare affects the performance of the engine. With mass production in the factory, the adjustment of the chainsaw ignition is not done. Marks are placed on the respective rotating elements, which are aligned during adjustment. Incorrect adjustment leads to the engine starting and stalling.
Check that the spark plug is dry and that the ignition circuit is functional before adjustment. Place the spark plug cable between the spark plug and the cylinder and restart the starter. If there is no flash, test cable with a probe. Then check that the cable to the disconnect button is in good condition.
If the cables are undamaged, check the ignition coil. This is done with a special tester to test the device. At the same time the readings on the device should coincide with the technical characteristics of the coil, which are prescribed in the instruction manual. If discrepancies are identified, the ignition unit is replaced by a functioning device.
The coil may be damaged by vibration from dropping the tool or from knocks, so work with care.
Crankshaft bearings replacement
First they measure the compression, if there is no compression, then the reason is in the piston group breakage.
The required pressure in the cylinder should be 8 atm, if it is lower, it is possible that the cylinder and piston, rings, crankshaft bearings are worn.
To find out the state of the piston system, it is required to completely disassemble the saw and remove all the main nodes of the mechanism:
- dismantle the headset, remove the cover on the rail;
- remove the tire guide and the tool chain with the wrench from the kit;
- Remove the air filter, remove the spark plug;
- The piston stopper is attached in place of the spark plug to secure the crankshaft;
- You remove the clutch, and then you can access the clutch system.
Rings with bearings are inspected, defects are detected. You can do the replacement yourself, which will require repair skills, or take the tool to a specialized shop. Reassembly is done in reverse order.
Why does the chainsaw quit when you accelerate??
Hi! If you are on this web page, then most likely your chainsaw stops when you press the gas, and you want to find out why this happens and what to do about it. Still, I’ll try to give you all the help you need in this dilemma, breaking down the more common causes of such a failure, and similarly ways to fix them.
At the beginning I will write for users-beginners that some chain saws before the start of the day asks to warm up the engine at idle for about one minute. As long as the engine is not warmed up, the saw may stall when you add gas.
What you need, if the warmed up chainsaw works at idle, but stops on load, it means that
- incorrectly adjusted or clogged carburetor. the most common case;
- She lacks air, the consumption of which increases sharply with increasing speed. this means that the air filter is dirty (the case is rare, because the contamination of the filter is uniform, so the user notices the loss of power at first);
- It does not have enough fuel, the consumption of which also increases with increasing speed. this means that the fuel filter is dirty (also not uncommon);
- and the nastiest case, if between the piston and the wall of the cylinder there is excessive friction, due to lack of oil in the fuel consistency. after such work chainsaw you are likely to fly into the repair of piston group, because the piston and the walls of the cylinder formed zababia, preventing the operation of the saw.
A chainsaw can stop suddenly because the piston is stuck in the cylinder or the crankshaft bearing is destroyed due to oil starvation or poor quality engine oil.
In the first case operability of the tool can be restored by pouring a few drops of engine oil into the spark plug hole. Crank mechanism damage repair involves complete disassembly in a well-equipped workshop.
Elimination of fuel equipment failures
A simple analysis of failures and malfunctions shows that most of them are caused by unskilled adjustment of the fuel system. A closer inspection reveals that the causes of the situation when the engine does not start, does not pick up speed and stops are practically the same.
In most cases it is:
- air infiltration due to loose screw fasteners or broken crankshaft oil seal;
- contamination of the jets;
- Leaking float valve;
- The air filter can be removed for a test run.
Troubleshooting on your own
If the engine cannot be started, proceed as follows in sequence
Air filter and spark plug location.
- Check the gasoline in the tank.
- Change the fuel if it has been stored for more than a month.
- Check the fuel filter. Disconnect the hose from the carburetor and observe the trickle. If gasoline flows freely, the fuel filter is not clogged. If flow rate is low, clean the filler cap port or filter.
- Clean the air filter. The air filter can be removed for a test run.
- Inspect and clean the muffler for carbon buildup.
- Check that the starter is working properly. If necessary, repair the starter (replace the pulley, spring or cable).
- Disassemble and clean a clogged carburetor.
- Use a tester to check the high-voltage wire for a breakage.
- Measure the gap between the flywheel magnets and the ignition module (should be 0.2 mm).
- Unscrew the spark plug and inspect it. Measure the gap between the electrodes with a feeler gauge (normal 0.5-0.6 mm). By the appearance of the electrodes determine the nature of the fault. If the spark plug is dry, there is no working mixture. The working part filled with gasoline indicates poor carburetor adjustment or lack of spark. To check the presence of the spark plug connect the high-voltage tip to the plug, put the skirt on the cylinder radiator and pull the starter cord. If there is no discharge between the electrodes the spark plug must be replaced. Scorch on the electrodes indicates a low quality fuel mixture. The central and side electrodes should be cleaned with emery paper.
- No compression. The reason. failure of the piston group. Measure compression. First you need to unscrew the spark plug. Then insert a pressure gauge into the cylinder bore and use the starter cord to move the piston. The cylinder pressure indicates the condition of the cylinder-piston group (CPG). It should not be less than 8 atm. Low readings are caused by wear of the cylinder, piston, piston rings.
What to do if the engine stalls after starting?
Diagram of interaction between fuel and air flow in chainsaw carburetor.
Saw often does not run for a long time after starting. chain saw stops almost immediately. This malfunction has characteristic signs. Listed are probable causes of the failure and how to correct it:
- Lack of fuel or low fuel volume. If the failure appears when sawing in a tilted position, it indicates that the intake tube is elevated above the fuel level. Check the fuel in the tank. Check the fuel system for leaks and don’t forget to add gasoline.
- Poor fuel mixture. Prepare fuel according to saw manufacturer’s instructions. Completely replace the mixture.
- The breather plug is clogged. Low fuel consumption to the engine. Breather. breather hole in tank lid. Clean blockage with needle.
- Poor contact of the spark plug with the high-voltage wire cap. If this occurs, the spark plug bore is extremely hot. Clean contact and install tightly on spark plug.
- Spark plug malfunction. Replace with new or known good replacement.
- Muffler clogged with combustion products (exhaust gas). Muffler must be cleaned.
- The carburetor is out of adjustment. For the adjustment of the mixture quality the carburetor has 3 screws: “L”. fine adjustment, “H”. fine adjustment of high rpm and “T”. adjustment at idle rpm. Following the sequence of screws adjustment, achieve higher revolutions of the crankshaft.
- Clogged air filter. Low amount of air is sucked into the carburettor and causes an enriched mixture. Saw stalls with increasing load when cutting hardwood and large-diameter logs. Washing the filter in warm water and drying it out.
- Failure of the piston group. Replace defective parts.
Now you will be able to find and eliminate the reasons why chainsaws start and stop on your own. A chain saw is a high-speed cutting attachment and is considered a cutting tool with a high risk of injury. Strictly obey safety rules when working, maintaining and repairing your chainsaw.
There is a spark, the spark plug is wet. how to solve the problem?
Wet spark plugs indicate a faulty mixture proportions. In this condition, the part is still able to form a spark at first, but gradually this property of the spark plug is lost. In addition to the wrong oil to fuel ratio, there are a number of other reasons why the element floods.
- Severe clogging of the air filter;
- malfunctions in the carburetor settings;
- malfunctions in the regular ignition system;
- Incorrect sequence of actions when starting a cold engine;
- poor quality of gasoline.
In the first case, the chainsaw repair is performed by thoroughly cleaning or completely replacing the air filter of the tool.
If the tool began to consume a large amount of fuel when working, and the engine speed began to “float” constantly, decreasing and increasing every 5-10 seconds, then the owner of the chainsaw should adjust the carburetor.
With the repair of the regular ignition system, everything is a little more complicated. To do this, check all electrical wiring and make measurements of the gap between the high-voltage wire and the tip of the spark plug. If necessary, it is also necessary to clean the ignition system from clogs.
If none of these malfunctions could not be found, then you will need to study the manual. The operator may have started the tool in the wrong order.
If none of the above helped, then the cause of the breakdown is poor-quality fuel. In this case, you need to drain the rest of the gasoline and pour new fuel with a higher octane number.
Check the chain saw’s major systems
We check each system one by one:
- Fuel tank. Probably there is not enough fuel or it is of poor quality.
- The next place to check is the spark plug and the high-voltage wire. Pay attention, the normal spark plug gap is less than half a millimeter.
- If the above items are checked and work properly, move on to the carburetor and fuel filter. With a breakdown of the carburetor it is necessary to address to experts.
Stops at idle
Sometimes the saw cuts out at idle and a clogged muffler is a very common cause. It can easily be cleaned yourself, you don’t need a high technician to do it.
In addition to cleaning, there is another option, but we treat it very carefully so as not to damage the internal parts of the machine.
To adjust the carburetor, you need to find two bolts with the letters L and H. The last one needs to be turned, just a little, only half a turn. It is responsible for the RPM of the tool and, if necessary, it will raise the idle speed.
Checking the chainsaw’s main systems
If the chainsaw stops immediately after you start it, there is a malfunction in some part of the machine. You can’t identify the cause right away, so you have to check all the parts one by one.
The first thing to check is the chainsaw’s fuel tank. The fuel may simply not be enough to work properly, so it is necessary to prepare a mixture in accordance with the standards of mixing oil and gasoline. Gasoline needs to be of the highest octane rating and oil is usually chosen according to the recommendations in the owner’s manual.
If it is not the amount of fuel, the next cause might be the spark plugs. Not only the spark plugs are checked, but also the high-voltage wire from the tips. The gap on the spark plug must be no more than 0.5 mm.
If the gap is too small, it means that there is a deposit on the spark plugs, which must be cleaned, and then you can install the parts in their place and check if the chainsaw will start or not. It is also recommended to replace the spark plugs completely with new ones from time to time, even if they are in good condition.
Another reason why your chain saw malfunctions after you throttle may be a broken carburetor or fuel filter. Cleaning the fuel filter yourself is simple enough unlike the carburetor, which has a more complex design and therefore this part is best left to professionals.
Why a chainsaw won’t start or stops when idling?
It happens sometimes that the chain saw cuts out at idle rpm. In most cases the cause is unclean muffler that can be easily cleaned without help from specialists. You can also fix problems by adjusting the carburetor. On this part of the chain saw there are two bolts with the letters L and H. The bolt called L is responsible for the chain saw’s rpm.
To increase the idle speed you need to turn the bolt half a turn, and maybe that will solve the problem. Do not forget that the carburetor. it is quite a complex system and its adjustment may be beyond the power of an ordinary person. If you incorrectly set the value of the RPM, you can deform the internal system of the chainsaw, so it is better to entrust this work to professionals.
What to do if the chainsaw stalls on load?
Very often chain saws with a powerful power device will shut down from an increase in load. The cause may only be a dirty fuel filter or in the gas tank. It is best to replace the entire fuel filter with such a problem, especially since it does not cost too much. If this does not help, then it is recommended to check the quality of the mixture.
To be more precise, it is necessary to prepare a new fuel mixture, having previously changed gasoline. Maybe it’s just the quality of gasoline, and the low octane number simply does not allow the chainsaw engine to reach sufficient power at excessive loads.
Chainsaw stalls at higher rpm
In those cases where the chainsaw begins to stall at high RPM, you need to check such parts as:
The air filter gets very clogged during operation, so it needs to be cleaned and maybe even rinsed under warm water, but you will need to dry the part well before installing it. After that, the fuel hose is disconnected from the carburetor.
If no fluid flows out through it, then it is simply clogged and it is recommended to clean it or buy a new hose. If the mixture flows through the fuel hose in full volume, then the filter may not be checked. In all other cases it is necessary to clean the breather plug with a regular needle, and replace or flush the gasoline filter.
The cause might even be in the gasoline pump. We are talking about checking the wear and tear of this part. If the fuel leaks through the walls of the gasoline pump, then it should be replaced. If the fuel isn’t leaking through the walls, that’s not why the chain saw cuts out at high rpm.
The main causes of chainsaw failure
Although all the possible faults in some part of the chainsaw system are described, it may not be sufficient to solve them. We need to dwell on some aspects of problem solving in more detail.
Checking the fuel mixture and spark plugs
The fuel mixture that is poured into the chainsaw must be pre-cooked. First of all, it must not be forgotten that when making the fuel mixture it is necessary to use only qualitative and approved components according to the instruction book. You should also remember that it is better to drain the fuel before maintenance or between seasons, when the chain saw is idle.
Checking spark plugs can be divided into several subparagraphs. First, it is necessary to remove the spark plugs and check their tips for fuel. This can happen from time to time when the chainsaw starts. Most often this happens to inexperienced users who simply forget to follow the rules of the sequence when starting a chainsaw at cold rpm.
Secondly, there may be soot on the spark plugs, which simply clogs the connection gap. The gap should have a distance of 0.5 to 0.65 mm. Remove fouling with fine-grained sandpaper or a brush with metal hairs.
Checking and cleaning the muffler
Sometimes it happens that checking all the components from the hose to the spark plugs doesn’t help and the chain saw keeps stalling on the gas. In that case all you have to do is check the muffler. This piece of equipment is very often the cause of failure. The point is that over a long period of use of a chainsaw, a large number of deposits accumulate in the muffler. Besides, sediment occurs if you pour a bad mixture of fuel or use the wrong equipment.
The first thing to do is to check the muffler for any carbon deposits. To do so, it must be dismantled. First unscrew the nuts, remove the muffler, plate and reflector. The main thing is not to tear the studs on the mounts during disassembling. If you find soot inside, it is necessary to clean the muffler, and it can be done in two ways.
The easiest way to clean the muffler can be applied to collapsible chainsaws. To do this you should perform several actions:
When removing fouling, the main thing is not to apply too much force, so as not to deform the structure of the muffler.
The second option is suitable only for non-disassembled models and here it is quite difficult to remove the soot in all areas of the muffler. It is physically impossible to reach all parts of the muffler, but before the main cleaning it is recommended to perform the mechanical cleaning at least in those places, where the brush reaches.
After that, a shot is poured into the muffler, which removes the soot when shaking the chainsaw, but this method is not the most effective. it is better to use special chemicals, which are poured into the system and the equipment is stored for several hours. After that the muffler is blown.
Naturally, there is no guarantee that the chemicals will completely remove the soot, but it will relatively reduce the amount of sediment on the walls of the muffler.