Work Protection With Angle Grinder
Any cutting device has high security requirements. Especially when it comes to cutting metal and other hard materials.
An angle grinder, or an angle grinder (angle grinder), is the most dangerous power tool, and when working with it, safety precautions must never be neglected. Even experienced professionals sometimes get injured using an angle grinder in violation of the instructions.
There are several types of protective equipment required for the operation of this device.
Personal protective equipment
Guaranteed eye safety when using an angle grinder are safety glasses. They have several varieties:
- Open glasses. They resemble ordinary glasses for vision correction or protection from the sun, but have a denser structure and increased thickness of the plastic. These glasses protect your eyes from sparks and small fragments. Their disadvantage is exposure to dust. When working with ceramics and stone, dust is formed that can cause eye irritation. In this case, the following type of glasses will do.
- Closed glasses. They fit tightly on the contour of the face and do not allow dust to penetrate the eyes. Also protect eyes from shards and sparks. Some models have a ventilation system that prevents fogging on the inside of the lens. This version of the glasses will cost a little more, but it has more advantages.
Glasses must be worn regardless of the nature of the material being cut or ground.
Another safety feature when working with an angle grinder is a face shield. It can be reinforced with a special mesh, which makes it stronger. Such a mask is much better than glasses, because it protects not only the eyes, but also the rest of the face.
The main cause of injury is a saw blade split. Its fragments flying with great speed can injure not only a person working with an angle grinder, but also people nearby.
Principles of Safe Operation
Video: Work Protection With Angle Grinder
The presence of personal protective equipment undoubtedly reduces the risk of personal injury when using the angle grinder. But it is worth remembering also other safety requirements.
- Protective cover. This device must always be on the angle grinder. Some negligent operators remove protection in order to wear a larger diameter wheel that is not designed to work with this angle grinder. Sometimes the casing is removed in cases where it is necessary to use an angle grinder at an uncomfortable angle. Such actions are not allowed. Of course, the protective casing does not provide absolute safety, but in most cases it will protect you from getting injured. Recently, a protective modification for the angle grinder has appeared a useful modification. It is called dust extraction. The name is clear. this device helps to direct dust particles in the opposite direction from the operator, which greatly simplifies the work.
- Hand protection. To prevent sparks and hot metal particles from getting on the skin of the hands, it is recommended to use special welding gaiters. Small sparks, getting on the skin, do not bring obvious pain. But when a large burning particle gets in, it causes severe pain. At this moment, the hand may flinch, thereby creating a traumatic situation. Gaiters help to avoid getting hot metal on your hands.
- The choice of abrasive wheel. To work with an angle grinder, you should use an exclusively suitable circle for it. If you use a circle with a diameter larger than the specified, then it can split, even without touching
- with the cut object. The fact is that different models of angle grinder have different speeds, and abrasive wheels have different revolving resistance.
- You should also not use circles with visible external defects such as chips, deep scratches or cracks.
- It is forbidden to install a disk for sawing wooden products on an angle grinder. Firstly, it is dangerous. the saw blade can meet with a knot, because of which the tool can be pulled out of the hands. Secondly, the disk will soon become unusable, because it is not adapted to such a load. The speed of the circular saw is much lower than that of the angle grinder.
- Sawing object. If the workpiece is small, you need to fix it with something. The best option for this would be to use a vise. Never cut the product with one hand while holding it with the other. In this case, the sawing element may be pulled out of the hands.
If the product is large and installed motionless, the bite of the abrasive disc must be prevented. General rules:
- Always unplug the angle grinder when replacing a disc. This is to prevent accidental startup.
- When choosing an abrasive disc, give preference to a trusted manufacturer.
- When working, make sure that the power cord is away from the cutting circle.
- When using an angle grinder, eliminate the possibility of winding hair and clothing onto a rotating disc.
The correct location of the power tool in your hands is the key to safe use. Do not neglect the instructions for working with the angle grinder, this tool is capable of causing severe injuries when neglected.