How to start a lawn mower? Pull the cord! Ok, we agree. Sometimes this is not enough. Given that some lawn mowers start differently, depending on the model, in this article we will give you some general tips. Continue reading!
Fill the mower with gasoline and check the oil level in it. It is possible that you forgot to do this. It happens to everyone. But if there is no oil and gasoline in it, then you can pull the cord for at least a whole day, and you will not achieve anything but muscle pain and the chance that your children will learn from you not quite good words.
- Open the fuel tank cap and look into it. If necessary, refuel the mower to the recommended level. The tank must have a marking to indicate to what level the tank should be filled, but if it is not, fill it to the neck. Do not overfill the tank.
- Be sure to check the oil level. If there is not enough oil, then you can easily ruin the engine. Oil is usually poured through a cap on the top of the mower housing, which says "oil" or an oil can. Just like a car, your mower may have a special dipstick with which you can check the engine oil level.
- Please note that some mowers (mainly with a two-stroke engine) use a fuel-oil mixture. If so, carefully read the user manual before refueling the mower.
Bleed the fuel pump! Find a soft cap next to the spark plug, usually red or black. Press it 3-4 times to fill the carburetor with gasoline. Just do not overdo it and do not fill the engine.
- But not all mowers have such a pump. In this case, you will need to fully open the throttle.
Check out the candle. The candle should be near the engine and have a rubber cap. It produces a spark that starts the engine, so make sure that the cap sits tightly on it.
Open the throttle. Shift the throttle lever to the middle or to the last position. Otherwise, the engine will not receive enough fuel to operate.
Use caution when starting the engine. Now most new mowers come with a safety switch that must be held at startup. If your mower does not have such a switch, then make sure that it is stable on the ground.
Pull the cord sharply! Bend the mower body with one hand, and grab the cord with the other and pull it up sharply. You may need to do this several times before the engine starts.
- If the engine sneezes but does not start, then check if there is enough gas in the tank.
- If the engine does not sneeze and does not start, then check the spark plug.
Read the mower’s operating instructions. If the mower still does not start, read the instructions in the troubleshooting section. It is possible there will be an answer to your question.
It often happens that users of such machines try to “save” by pouring into the tank not fuel with the usual octane number, but something incomprehensible that has been standing in a plastic canister for almost a dozen years.
- Always clean your lawn mower after work. Withered grass can stick tightly to it. In addition, it smells bad when it begins to rot. Therefore, as soon as you finish mowing, clean the mower of grass.
- Never leave the mower for the winter with gasoline in the tank. During storage, it may thicken and clog the carburetor.
- Never run your mower without proper lubrication, unless you like to buy new mowers every time.
The main thing is the fuel mixture!
In this case, the remnants of the plastic dissolved in the brutal medium do so terrible things in the combustion chamber that you just can’t do without completely sorting out the mechanism. Gasoline self-propelled lawn mowers are the choice. But you certainly remember forever how to properly store fuel.
What is there to do when the fuel was exactly normal, there is a spark, but the gas trimmer does not start? It may be that you just filled the candle with gasoline. In this case, you need to unscrew it, wipe it with a clean cloth and dry it. More reliable electronic braid trimmers. By the way, checking the candle itself for performance will be completely out of place.
Reasons the lawnmower might not start
A gas mower may not start for the following reasons:
- First, before starting the engine, you need to check the fuel in the tank. A small amount of it will create airiness in the system, but it is impossible to fill the tank full to the brim. When refueling, you must adhere to the mark of the highest fuel level. If the lawnmower sets sail for winter storage, the fuel must be drained, because gasoline tends to evaporate. Fueling is done using a funnel. Before a case of spilled gasoline dries out on the mower parts, the engine must not be started in order to avoid ignition of combustible water.
- Often the lawnmower engine does not start due to the fact that the user does not know how to correctly wind up. Before starting, the lever sets the maximum speed, and then pump gasoline into the carburetor with a primer. The starter cord is gently pulled a little over, and then sharply pulled.
- After unsuccessful attempts to start the engine, you can try to change the spark plug. Often the reason lies precisely in it. If there is no spare candle at hand, and the old one is covered with heavy soot, it must be cleaned with fine-grained emery paper.
- Clogged air filter leads to the preparation of low-quality fuel mixture, and the engine begins to stall or, in general, does not start. To fix the problem easily rinse the removed filter in pure gasoline and then dry it in air. Rinse the air filters every 25 hours, even if the mower does not stall.
- Immediately after starting, the engine may stall due to a jammed piston or crankshaft. Having unscrewed the spark plug, the starter cord must be pumped the engine several times. It is possible that moving parts will develop and the problem will be resolved.
- A low oil level in the crankcase may cause the engine to not start.
Video: How to Charge a Cord into a Lawn Mower
Electric lawn mowers also have their own easily solved problems:
- The commonplace reason that the mower’s electric motor does not work may be a lack of electricity or low voltage. Find out if there is current in the network using a screwdriver indicator, but you need a multimeter to measure voltage.
- The electric mower is equipped with engine thermal protection. Due to grass clogged ventilation holes, the protection will constantly operate, preventing the motor from running. Easily solve the problem by cleaning the ventilation holes.
- The cause of the mower’s electric motor not working may be a failed switch. Here you will have to contact the service center or replace the broken part yourself.
If none of the above tips helped to start the unit, you do not need to touch anything else, but it is better to contact specialists.
The video tells about the preparation of the lawnmower for launch:
When spring comes, people often spend their free time in their summer cottage. With the onset of warm days, they try to rid their area of problems such as weeds and grass. It is difficult to do it manually, especially if the area is very large, so a lawn mower will help. Thanks to this technique, you can trim the grass and remove weeds – this is a suitable device for mowing unnecessary plants near the fence, at home, between the rows in the garden on a flower bed and so on. Read about how to choose a lawn mower that is right for your needs. The cutting element in this device is a fishing line (strong polyethylene thread), which is wound on a special element – a reel. But over time, the fishing line wears out and there is a need for its replacement. The article will discuss how to refill fishing line in a lawn mower.
What kind of fishing line to choose to refuel the lawn mower
The thickness of the polyethylene yarn depends on the model of technology and varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. She may be:
- With a round cross section – this is the most durable material for mowing herbaceous plants;
- With curly section – used for mowing soft plants;
- Twisted – used for thin grass;
- Professional type, not suitable for all models of equipment.
To change the line on the lawnmower, you need to purchase a cutting thread, which will be ideal for a particular type of mower.
The device of the line in the mower
The arrangement of the element on which the kapron thread is wound is very simple. This element is called a coil. It has two “tracks” – the upper and lower. Between these paths there is a special partition with a recess. A fishing line is wound around these tracks. It must first be pulled through the recess.
Features of replacing fishing line on video.
Replacement Instructions – How to Insert a Fishing Line
It should be noted that the coils in the mowers can be different:
- For functioning with one antennae;
- For functioning with two antennae;
- Fishing line should be threaded through the through hole, which is located inside the element.
And do not confuse this part with an extension for a lawn mower on a reel, because despite the similar name they are two completely different elements.
This article will tell you about how much the ZIL 130 dump truck weighs and what this transport is capable of.
Read here //machinspec.Com/lesozagotovitelnaya/benzopila/stanok-dlya-zatochki.Html how to assemble a machine for sharpening chains of chains with your own hands quickly and easily.
In the first version, it is very simple to wind the cutting element:
- On the inside of the coil element there is a locking eye.
- One antennae of the thread is inserted into it.
- It is necessary to refill the kapron thread in the direction opposite to the rotation of the bobbin element.
- It will take only from 2 to 4 meters of fishing line. When the winding process is completed, put the small end of this cutting element out and fix it in the groove, which is necessary to fix the fishing line so that it does not unwind during the operation of the mower.
- If there is no special groove, then the end should be held by hand so that the cutting element does not untwist during further collection of the element.
- At the last stage, it is necessary to thread the outer end of the thread into a special hole located on the outer part of the element. After that, the coil can be inserted into the mower.
When the roller works with two ends of a polyethylene thread, then the following steps must be taken to fill the line into the mower:
- Inside, the reel will show how many recesses there are for winding (two or one). If there is one recess, then both ends of the thread will be laid along this recess. If there are two, then the antennae are laid out separately – each in its recess.
- It is necessary to rewind from 2 to 4 meters of polyethylene thread and thread its two ends into the hole.
- Wind both threads in the same direction as the drum rotates.
- When all the fishing line is wound, the ends should be fixed in the grooves or held by hand.
- Both ends are threaded into the eye on the outside of the roller housing.
- After that, the drum is assembled and inserted into the mower.
Tips and steps for replacing fishing line on a video.
The coil element or roller may have a completely different design than the previous two options. The line can be threaded through the eye, which is through and located inside the reel. In this case, it is not necessary to disassemble the roller drum and manually wind the polyethylene thread.
The polyethylene thread is threaded through the hole and rotated by pressing a special button. This the button is located on the body and is designed to operate the equipment, to be able to produce fishing line as it wears.
For quick and safe replacement of fishing line on the reel of the mower, safety precautions must be observed. Before removing the reel in order to wind the line onto the lawnmower, it is necessary to disconnect the equipment from the power supply (if the mower is powered by electricity). Here I want to mention the reliability rating of electric lawn mowers, which will help you choose a safe assistant.
Another important safety rule that must be observed is pressing the lock button. You can find out its location on the equipment body using the instruction manual. For example, the manual for a gasoline mower can be found here.
Do not forget that the cutting element must be adjusted. There is a tuning button on the unit body. If the process does not start automatically and the thread tension loosens, then the button is clamped and the line is pulled out of the reel with force.
Watch the video instruction.
If there is a summer cottage or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then for the convenience of cleaning grass and weeds, you must use a lawn mower. If you are thinking of choosing an electric lawnmower or gasoline, then click here and you will find comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the line on the mower wears out and requires replacement – this can be done independently. Choosing this polyethylene thread is necessary depending on the model of the mower. It is also worth watching about the remaining details of the unit, here for example you will find information about the Craftsman lawn mower knives, which also wear out and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The spool device into which the fishing line is inserted is very simple. But it differs depending on whether the spool works with one or two thread antennae. It is important to observe safety precautions when replacing fishing line in the reel.