Clutch Replacement On Trimmer
Replacing the clutch Replacing the clutch. Our experts will help you determine the cause of the failure of the clutch system, as well as determine if a complete replacement is necessary.
Among the main signs of a clutch malfunction are:
- Not full inclusion and an increase in pedal travel;
- Decrease pedal travel. Accompanied by slipping and incomplete switching on;
- When interacting with the pedal, a uncharacteristic noise;
- When you try to move away smoothly, strikes and jerks in the transmission;
- Pedal release clutch sinks and does not return to its original position;
- Heard bad smell, which accompanies burnt friction pads;
- In the clutch hydraulic drive, fluid leak;
- A car cannot go downhill or a hill, although earlier it could easily cope with a similar task.
When is repair or replacement needed?
It is very good when attentive drivers notice in a timely manner the symptoms that the clutch is out of order. In this case, it remains just to get to the car service. At the same time, experts recommend driving at low speed, carefully changing gears and not accelerating too much.
Replacing the clutch
Clutch is called a link that is intermediate between the internal combustion engine and the gearbox. Provides transmission and interruption of power flow between the gearbox and the engine. The clutch consists of several elements:
- Release bearing;
- Control systems.
Each of the parts of the clutch assembly is subject to wear, so they need to be replaced periodically. To implement clutch replacement and its main elements will be helped by the specialists of the car service Oiler, here you will find reasonable prices, high-quality services and high-quality service.
What does your clutch need replacement or repair?
Often, breakdowns can affect drive unit. This is accompanied by a complete stop of the car and it can be delivered to the car service only by a tug. Clutch control system repair is much faster and easier to completely replace the entire unit. In this case, you do not even need to remove the gearbox. The mechanical drive is susceptible to breakage due to a broken cable, and the hydraulic drive is susceptible to damage to the hose and cylinders.
At the Oiler car service, specialists will help you establish the cause of the system failure. And they will also determine whether it is necessary to completely replace the clutch of the entire unit, or whether it will be possible to do with the adjustment of individual elements. Our masters note that from the standpoint of durability and benefits for the car owner, it would be better to completely replace the clutch assembly.
Comprehensive service will consist of the following stages:
- The engine is fixed with a winch;
- Drive pads and sensors on the gearbox are dismantled;
- The oil is drained from the gearbox;
- Undercarriage connections open;
- Wheels are dismantled together with calipers and brake discs;
- CV joints are removed;
- The gearbox is dismantled.
How to put the knife on the trimmer
With the arrival of summer, many owners of personal plots are worried about the question of how to put the knife on the trimmer. No less relevant are the questions of why and when it is advisable to replace the line on the brushcutter with a more durable cutting element. In our article we will try to disassemble all this and give useful recommendations to summer residents.
What knives to put on an electric and gas cutter
Before buying and putting a knife on the brushcutter, we will find out what they are and in what cases they are used. Today manufacturers offer the consumer a large number of types of these consumables. In general, all cutting tools designed for mowing grass can be classified:
- By the type of material from which it is made;
- According to the shape of its cutting blades.
The main material for making trimmer knives can be plastic or metal. The use of such consumables largely depends on two parameters:
- Type of brushcutters;
- Mowing areas.
For safety reasons, manufacturers do not recommend putting steel knives on electric trimmers. Almost all brushcutters powered by an electric network and a battery are equipped with plastic blades. Depending on the manufacturer, they can be of a solid disc-shaped design, with several blades or in the form of a special mowing head providing for the installation of removable plastic blades.
Straight bar for petrol trimmer and curved for electric
To put a metal knife on an electric trimmer is not allowed by its design features.
- The curved bar of the machine reduces the distance from its working part to the mower’s feet. In the event of a collision of the blades with a stone or other solid object, the scythe is thrown to the feet.
- The high torque we mentioned above, in the event of a metal blade hitting a hard object, transfers a heavy load to the trimmer flex shaft and its motor. What causes them to fail prematurely.
- The handle of the electric scythe most often does not have a limiting bar acting as a stop. That does not exclude injury to the legs.
It is these features that make it possible to use only plastic knives on trimmers with electric motors. Upon collision with an obstacle, the blades are destroyed, thereby protecting the mower’s legs from possible injury.
The use of metal knives only on gasoline trimmers is also due to design features.
- The straight bar design increases leg clearance for complete safety.
- Comfortable U-shaped and J-shaped handles for a firm grip. The D-shaped handles of the brushcutter are equipped with a limiter resting on the leg of the mower, which does not allow the head to come close to the feet when the cutting disc meets a solid obstacle.
- The clutch of the gasoline engine allows smooth acceleration to the optimum level. And when the blade hits a hard surface, it can absorb part of the impact.
Thus, petrol trimmers with a metal blade installed are best used in large areas. They will successfully cope not only with high coarse grass, weeds, burdocks and nettles, but also shrubs, as well as young trees.
The shape of the blades of the disc supplied to the trimmer does not in any way affect the quality of the work performed. Speed does not depend on them either. Triangular, trapezoidal, rectangular shapes are all the marketing ploy of manufacturers.
Why you need to put the knife on the trimmer
A trimmer with a knife installed on it is most convenient to use for more comfortable mowing of tall and coarse grass in the country. The line on the brushcutter cannot cope in such cases. Thin tears very quickly. Using 2.3mm thick cord or homemade rods with cables causes the vegetation to wrap around the spool. This increases the load on the engine. As a result, the piston group and other moving parts of the unit wear out very quickly.
If the weeds are mowed with an electric trimmer without a knife, only a fishing line, even a thick one with a curly section, will not solve the problem. There is always a risk of overheating the motor and damaging the flexible shaft. And it’s all about the large torque of the electric motor. Grass wrapped around the spindle creates strong resistance to the shaft, which resembles a speedometer cable, which does not withstand and twists.
In order to protect equipment from premature wear, manufacturers have provided for the possibility of installing special knives on trimmers. The design and shape of the existing cutting elements allows you to easily cope not only with coarse and overgrown grass, but also to successfully deal with young shrub growth.
How to put a knife on the trimmer correctly
Putting the knife on the trimmer is not that difficult. The manufacturer completes its tools with a special pin that allows you to block the gearbox and a wrench with which the spool and fishing line are unscrewed. The most important thing is to observe safety precautions and the sequence of assembly and disassembly when changing cutting elements.
The algorithm for setting the knife to the trimmer is as follows:
- Remove the protective cover;
- We block the drive. To do this, it is necessary to align the two holes in the shaft hub and in the gearbox cup. After combining them, insert a pin into the holes;
- We unscrew the spool with line or the attachment nut holding the boot (if the trimmer has not been used yet) from the hub clockwise;
- Next, we install the cutting knife, so that the slots on the hub washer coincide with the recesses in the hole of the cutting disc;
- Install the boot;
- We tighten the fastening nut (counterclockwise) while holding the locking pin;
- We tighten it using a tubular wrench;
- We return the protective cover to its place.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated. Now you can safely start mowing weeds on the site.
Constructive components of the chainsaw
All chainsaws are similar in structure, regardless of whether they are European (ECHO, Stihl, Husqvarna) or domestic (Kedr, Ural). Inside the body are the main elements of the fuel tank and engine, and outside the starter, handle, saw part (tire) with a chain. A sharp jerk of the cable starts the engine, and that saw blade.
To begin with, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the rollers, which show how the chainsaw works and how it works:
From time to time, the saw malfunctions, which require disassembly to eliminate. What can happen to such a simple mechanism as a chainsaw? At least the following:
- Ceases to start;
- Starts up, but soon stops;
- Ceases to function in the cut;
- Loses its power;
Most of the malfunctions are associated either with interruptions in the operation of the engine (fuel supply system, exhaust system, ignition, cylinder-piston part), or with malfunctions of other systems and components (clutch, chain brake, tire, lubrication system). Consider the most common breakdowns and techniques for their elimination.
A working chainsaw starts with one jerk and does not fail in the cut
Assessment of the state of the cylinder-piston group
Often the engine will not start or run at full strength due to low cylinder pressure. It can be caused by piston or cylinder wear, piston ring sinking, bearing wear. You can partially examine the condition of the cylinder-piston group (CPG) by removing the muffler and looking into the opened hole.
A compressor placed in the spark plug hole will help to measure the compression in the engine, according to the measurement results, you can also talk about the state of the CPG. Accurate data is obtained only after the complete disassembly of the mechanism. If the piston is chipped or scratched, it must be replaced. The piston ring must be clean, free of carbon deposits, and be exactly in place.
Piston and crank mechanism wear is considered a serious problem.
According to the results of measuring the compression, one can judge the condition of the parts of the CPG
Do-it-yourself chainsaw repair: analysis of major breakdowns and methods of their elimination
It would seem, why does a chainsaw need a summer resident who grows vegetables and fruits, or a country house owner who has a small garden and several flower beds? The question disappears when there is a desire to build a bathhouse, update a greenhouse, knock down an old business, or just make a bench for relaxation. Unfortunately, any mechanism periodically needs preventive maintenance and replacement of spare parts, and for this you need to be well versed in the device of the product, besides, repairing the chainsaw with your own hands will save time and money.
Checking the ignition system
The first thing to do if the chainsaw breaks down is to inspect the spark plug by disconnecting the wire and carefully unscrewing it with a special key.
Chainsaw ignition system components: 1 flywheel with magnets, 2 ignition module, 3 spark plug, 4 high voltage wire
Unscrew the spark plug to check its condition.
Her appearance says a lot:
- Dry. Most likely, the fuel mixture does not enter the cylinder. It’s not about the ignition system, so the plug is screwed back in.
- Strongly splashed with fuel. The reason for the excess fuel mixture lies either in the violation of the starting rules, or in the incorrect adjustment of the carburetor. The spark plug is carefully wiped, shut off the fuel supply and turn on the starter to remove excess fuel and ventilate the combustion chamber. Then the candle is put in place and the mechanism is started again.
- Covered with black carbon. This may indicate the use of low-quality oil, an incorrectly adjusted carburetor, or an incorrectly calculated gasoline to oil ratio. The candle should be washed, cleaned of carbon deposits with a sharp object (awl or needle), wipe the electrodes with a sandpaper and put in place.
When checking the candle, you need to pay attention to the gap between the electrodes: it is considered normal from 0.5 to 0.65 mm. A damaged or worn gasket must be replaced.
A large amount of black carbon on the spark plug indicates a malfunction of the engine.
To be sure, you should also check for a spark. To do this, put the ignition cable on the spark plug, connect the plug nut and the cylinder with pliers, start the starter and watch for the spark. If it is missing, the plug must be replaced. If the new spark plug also does not produce a spark, the problem is in the high-voltage wire or in a broken connection with the spark plug.
Fuel supply system repair
Fuel may not enter the cylinder for the following reasons:
- Dirty fuel filter. Remove the fuel hose and check how the fuel flows. If the jet is weak, the filter may need to be cleaned. It is taken out through the filler hole of the fuel tank and cleaned; in case of severe contamination, it is replaced with a new one. As a preventive measure, it is recommended to replace the fuel filter every three months.
- Clogged breather (holes in the fuel tank cap). Check also by disconnecting the hose, in case of blockage, clean it with a needle.
- Lack or insufficient amount of fuel. There may be several reasons for the malfunction. The first reason is the clogged air filter. Air ceases to flow into the carburetor in the required amount, in this regard, due to a too rich fuel mixture, the engine’s operation is disrupted. The contaminated filter is carefully removed, cleaned and rinsed in water, then dried and reinstalled.
Another reason is the improper adjustment of the carburetor. The adjustment is made with three screws.
Timely replacement of the fuel filter ensures full fuel supply
The fuel hose and choke actuator must fit snugly against the fittings
The throttle cable must be in place
During work, you must use the instructions, otherwise you can only make it worse.
And the last reason is a violation of the integrity of the membrane or clogging of the carburetor channels.
To repair the carburetor yourself, you need to get acquainted with all its parts.
All parts must be clean, dry and in good condition.
Repairing the chain lubrication system
Consider three main faults:
- Oil leakage. Check that the pipes are tightly connected to the pump unions and if they are cracked. Problem tubes are sealed or replaced.
- Insufficient oil supply. Most likely the lubrication passages are clogged.
- Cracks in the oil pump housing. Part replacement required.
Here’s how to diagnose the lubrication system: