How To Disassemble A Lawn Mower
How to choose an electric lawnmower: tips from the pros
Should your meadow become a graceful lawn? We will tell you about the difference between gasoline, electric and manual lawn mowers. In addition, we present to your attention 10 lawn mowers most popular among Amazon users.
Way to travel
Before choosing a lawn mower, you should immediately decide. Whether you will move it around the site yourself, or it should be able to move on its own. The first ones are distinguished by an affordable price, lighter weight and dimensions. It is easier to store and transport them. But physical effort is required to move them. Women and elderly people should not use non-self-propelled mowers.
By choosing a self-propelled version that moves independently, you can serve larger areas. Human intervention in the operation of such a device is reduced only to the task of the direction of movement.
The equipment is distinguished by relatively large dimensions, weight and price, but it is suitable for work on an area of up to 1.2 hectares and does not greatly affect operator fatigue.
In addition to two-, three- and four-wheeled lawn mowers, there are hover models. Their advantages are high maneuverability and cross-country ability on the territory with uneven terrain. But the costs for such mowers are higher than for wheeled versions, and they are more difficult to operate. Hovercraft technology is not in great demand and is rare. One of the few electric models of this type available for purchase in 2019 is the Flymo Turbo Lite 330, with mains power, a 1.15 kW motor and a mowing width of 330 mm.
Before choosing an electric lawn mower, it is worth learning about the recommended compliance of such a parameter as the mowing width of the plot area. The dimensions of the serviced area are related to the characteristics of the mower as follows:
- For a summer cottage with a plot of up to 500 square meters, choose a model with a mowing width of up to 40 cm;
- If the area is within 5-10 acres, the width should be 40-50 cm;
- Maintenance of a plot of 1000-2000 sq.M. Will be provided by equipment with a mowing width of 50-60 cm;
- For large areas, mowers with a strip width of 0.6-1.2 m are suitable.
The cutting height is a parameter that can be adjusted on most lawn mowers. Changing the characteristic is done by rearranging the axle or wheels, by pressing a lever or button. The easiest and most profitable option is to manually adjust the cutting height. The axle is installed in another hole in the mower frame.
The electronically controlled model will cost more. Although, if the mowed grass must always be at the same level, the more important is not the method, but the limits of height adjustment.
Electric motor power
One of the main questions when buying an electric lawn mower is which performance to choose.
Most models are equipped with 500-3000 W motors. The more powerful the engine, the faster and longer the equipment will work.
But buying a device that is too powerful is not worth it. It will consume a lot of electricity without a noticeable effect. The performance should correspond to the area of the plot and the height of the grass.
For giving a standard size (6-10 acres), a lawn mower with a 0.6-1.0 kW motor is enough. The capabilities of the same equipment will be enough to service the plots at least once a week. If the grass is rarely mowed (1-3 times per season) or the area of the plot is large enough, you should think about purchasing a lawn mower with a power of at least 1.5 kW.
Grass collection container
Almost any modern model of a lawn mower is equipped with a grass catcher. A container in which the cut grass is collected. It can be hard or soft. The first type is stronger and more durable, requires almost no maintenance. But it is more difficult to regulate the degree of filling. Soft collectors will have to be washed periodically and will last less. But the amount of grass filling such a bag is noticeable even when the mower is running.
Tank capacity matters when serving large areas. In a small area, you will have to empty the collector no more than 1-3 times during the mowing period. If you need to mulch the grass, the bag or tank for it can be removed and work without it.
According to the type of power supply, electric mowers are divided into network and battery. Models requiring a mains connection are chosen for easy maintenance and long run times. This technique allows you to mow the grass as long as there is current in the network. The only major drawback is the limited service area by cable length. Although the problem is easily solved by purchasing a reel extension cord that extends the power cord by 30, 40 and even 50 meters.
The mower can also be powered by an electric battery. The advantages of this model are the absence of restrictions on movement within the territory of the site. The cord will not get tangled between trees, bushes and other elements of the landscape, it does not need to be lengthened, it is possible to serve areas with no power supply.
The disadvantages of battery technology include less power and operating time. But the second drawback is not so significant. Most self-powered mowers work for at least an hour, and you can also use an additional battery.
Among the battery models, one of the best is the Makita DLM380PM2, a non-self-propelled wheeled device with a 4 Ah battery. The equipment is designed to service 600 sq. M of area, mows a strip 380 mm wide at a height of 250 to 750 mm.
When deciding which electric lawnmower to choose for a summer residence, you can pay attention to robotic devices. The robot is quieter and completely eliminates operator intervention. Cons. High price, small service area, long recharging, the need to limit the perimeter using special cords.
Looking through the rating of robotic lawnmowers, you can find in one of the top positions the Robomow RX20u model with a 200 W electric motor. The device can serve a plot of up to 200 sq. M, almost no noise (noise level 64 dB) and works for at least 1.5 hours.
A deck is a part of a lawn mower with knives. Usually, the following materials are used for its manufacture:
- Aluminum is a metal that increases the price of the device;
- Plastic is the most profitable deck material;
- Steel is a medium-priced option.
To increase the service life of your mower, choose the right model with an aluminum deck. It differs from the plastic version in increased strength, from the steel part. In lighter weight and resistance to corrosion. The plastic deck is used in the cheapest mowers. But, sometimes, when servicing a plot of 2-4 acres, it makes no sense to overpay. The engine of inexpensive and low-powered equipment will fail earlier than a plastic deck.
How to disassemble a lawn mower
To repair the shaft, lubricate its parts, the rod is disassembled with subsequent restoration, at the same time the element can be replaced with a new one. The bar includes:
- Drive steel shaft with square splines or with edges at the ends;
- Aluminum tube;
- Anti-vibration plastic sleeve;
- Rubber shock absorber connecting the motor and the rod;
- Steering wheel, belt and thrust rack.
For disassembly, remove all elements, including the locking handle, ignition switch, gas switch. Remove the gearbox attached to the lower edge of the rod. On some lightweight models, the part is not provided, since the rod is bent, and instead of the shaft there is a flexible cable. The mechanism stops or slips due to licking edges or shaft splines, which requires replacing the axis. When tapping in the tube, the sleeve is most often damaged, it is repaired or replaced.
If you start the lawn mower, and the knives or fishing line move when the engine is idling and there are extraneous noises in front of the engine, then the clutch is disassembled to inspect the clutch and replace the broken spring. Slipping indicates pad wear. To disassemble the clutch, perform the following steps:
- Remove the cover and metal stand;
- Twist the starter cap and cylinder cover;
- Unscrew the screws on the side of the shock absorber tire;
- Remove the tube by unfastening the tightening hardware;
- Disassemble the clutch, inspect the component parts;
- To change the pads, dismantle the spring.
To study the piston rings, the engine is disassembled into parts, the piston is removed:
- Loosen the screws and squeeze the fastening clamps;
- Remove the crankshaft with the rod and the cylinder head;
- Remove the piston and rings.
To ensure the movement of the gearbox, unscrew the cap and place the grease inside the device, turning the shaft.
The carburetor fails due to low-quality gasoline, a damaged air filter or dirt inside the device. In the fuel pump, the membrane is often deformed, it does not fit, there is no channel seal. Before disassembling and adjusting the carburetor, flush the engine and replace or clean the spark plug.
A cord is installed in the coil or knives are mounted to give the motor a light load, the engine is warmed up for 10 minutes. Rotation of the blades at idle speed indicates the need to reduce the number of revolutions with the lower balancer. 3 screws are used to adjust the carburetor:
- The right one changes the degree of fuel enrichment at low speeds, it is turned up first, reaching the maximum frequency at idle;
- The lower handle, when turned to the left, decreases the number of revolutions, and to the right, on the contrary, increases;
- The left bolt changes the fuel enrichment at a high frequency, setting this parameter ends the process.
To disassemble an electric mower, perform the following actions:
- Unscrew the fastening hardware of the cover, remove the freed part of the case, gaining access to the electric motor, start button, connection diagrams and bearings;
- Determine wire breaks, burning smell, melting on parts;
- The device is called the integrity of the supply cord, the resistance is checked;
- Check the operation of the button, clean the brushes and the collector from carbon deposits;
- The engine is removed after disconnecting the screws and wiring;
- The device is used to check the winding of the coil for compliance with the technical parameters given in the passport;
- Examine the bearings and rings on the motor shaft, they are removed after removing the hardware, the propeller and the section of the bed;
- Test the temperature relay by connecting the output and input wires.
Repair of electric lawn mowers
The drive circuit, despite the similarity, is determined by the type of electric motor. Malfunctions associated with engine operation look like this:
- The car will not start;
- After the start, the unit stops working almost immediately;
- During operation, the motor does not increase the speed;
- Strong vibrations occur after starting.
In the process of repairing electric lawn mowers, it is revealed that the capacitor needed to shift the phase fails, this is indicated by the following indirect indicators:
- The motor begins to twitch after the flow of fuel;
- When operating under light load, the engine warms up strongly;
- The unit operates at reduced speeds;
- A monotonous hum is heard.
If checking the brushes and the capacitor shows their serviceability, then the burned out winding becomes the cause. You can make repairs to lawn mowers with your own hands, but it is better to hand it over to a specialist in a workshop. If the owner is confident in his abilities, then he identifies and eliminates problems in the electric motor on his own. To do this, do the following:
- Measure the voltage in the power supply circuit and check its compliance with the operating indicator in the unit’s passport. With significant deviations, a voltage regulator is used or does not work with such a network.
- Examine the plug and cord, check the fuse, and identify mechanical damage. Replace faulty electrical fittings and cables.
- On the unit, remove the power button and test it with a special device (multimeter, tester or indicator screwdriver). On the condenser, oxidation spots are checked, and swellings characteristic of a malfunction are detected.
- The burned areas of the winding are diagnosed on an electric motor, and its integrity is checked with a device. After detecting a malfunction of the electric lawn mower at any of the stages and getting rid of the breakdown, they will test the operation of the unit.
The push button can be tested without the instrument by using a temporary jumper to close the contact. A working unit after connecting plus and minus indicates the health of the part. To replace the button, it is removed from the seat after unscrewing the screws with a screwdriver. To check, you need to re-assemble the mower.
When replacing worn-out brushes, they are removed and new elements are installed. Care must be taken to remove old bearings as they can be difficult to remove from the shaft. Strike or knock them down carefully so as not to destroy the rotor or the landing site. Replacing the burnt out motor is done after dismantling the fan and rings with bearings.
The restoration of the elements is carried out in case of damage to a cylindrical or rotary knife, fishing line. Sometimes it is necessary to repair the transfer device, the grass remover, as well as the housing, handle and wheels. Malfunctions and remedies:
- Broken or damaged cutting blade or missing line. Breakage is visible to the naked eye and is eliminated when repairing the lawn mower with your own hands. The dullness of the knives is evidenced by unequal cuts of grass when examining the area after work. The blades are dismantled, sharpened or replaced with new elements.
- Looseness of the attachment of the blades leads to a change in balance and the occurrence of vibration, rattling, whistling sounds. Because of this, the unit becomes difficult to control, it drives from one side to the other. To correct the deficiency, the knives and fishing line are adjusted, the fasteners are tightened, the cutting elements are set in working position.
- Uncharacteristic knocking, rattling occurs as a result of the relaxation of the fasteners of the electric or gasoline engine, structural parts of the body. Liquid-fueled engines tend to loosen more often as their fluctuations are higher. The problem can be repaired by tightening the bolts. A knock occurs as a result of a foreign object entering the mechanism, it is removed to continue working.
- The cutting blades stop turning if the machine is not powerful enough to handle hard and old growth or the space for rotation is clogged with cut tough stems. Because of this, large breakdowns can occur, therefore, cleaning from the compacted mass is done immediately. The wrong choice of power leads to damage to mechanical components and engine combustion.
- In case of defects in the body, wheels, handles, they are changed or repaired, depending on the amount of damage. The methods of troubleshooting component parts are selected according to the material of manufacture (ferrous metal, plastic, aluminum).
The reason for the wear or tear of the transmission belt is a long service life. The engine is running, but the cutting attachments do not rotate. On self-propelled lawn mowers, the drive belt of the wheels becomes unusable, which contributes to their stopping and interruption of movement. When stretching, chafing, breaking, the belt is replaced with a new product.
Damage to the knife shaft and associated devices occurs due to a meeting with a stump, stone or other obstacle. To fix the breakdown, repair with dismantling of the lawn mower units is required.
Features of self-repair of gasoline and electric lawn mowers
Electric and gasoline lawn mowers have similar design features. The difference in equipment lies in the types of motors installed and the associated operating systems of the unit. Repair of lawn mowers is carried out in the mechanical part or eliminates faults in the drive devices. Breakdowns of the foreground equipment are the same for electric and gasoline units. The reproduction and transmission of torsion is organized differently, so different parts and systems need to be corrected.
Repair of mowers
The units are equipped with two-stroke gasoline internal combustion engines. The repair of gasoline lawn mowers starts with finding the cause of the malfunction:
- If the car does not always start, but work with gas pressure is normal, then the idle speed adjustment in the carburetor design is out of order or the wrong fuel is used. The proportions of oil and gasoline are taken in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. If after this the work does not improve, then repair the lawn mower carburetor.
- If unstable operation is noted in any modes and the engine starts poorly, then the air filter is clogged, the fuel jet is clogged. The first elements are washed or changed depending on the magnitude of the fault. The jets are blown out using a jet of compressed atmosphere, the degree of pressure of the needle is adjusted. It is impossible to stretch the existing spring, since the force on the needle will increase and the engine will work worse.
- If the motor starts efficiently, but stalls when the load is “hot”, then the reason is poor air flow. To eliminate, blow through the filter.
- If the mower does not start, despite the orderly flow of fuel and a sufficient amount of it in the tank, then the reason lies in the inoperative ignition coil. It is changed to a new part after simple manipulations. The presence of soot on the spark plug is visually visible, and replacement of the element is an effective remedy. When checking, the candle should give out a flash that is clearly visible to the naked eye in daylight.
By the type of spark plug, damage to the systems is determined and the need to repair the lawn mower engine is identified:
- A dry candle indicates problems with the flow of fuel;
- A wet surface indicates a malfunction of the carburetor system.
Fuel problems are causing the engine to fail. During operation, the amount of the combustible mixture in the tank, the oil level and its condition are regularly checked.
The carburetor is cleaned independently, without resorting to the services of masters.
The assembly is disassembled and washed with technical means, pre-purged with air. Before reinstalling, the carburetor is adjusted and adjusted. A clogged fuel hose is corrected by cleaning the saloon with a needle or changing the heating filter. Sometimes a malfunction is caused by a broken starter cord. It is connected by a knot or the starter is disassembled to replace the element.
Gasoline engines work without problems on sites with an inclination of no more than 15˚, sometimes they overcome short drops of up to 30˚. If the engine stalls on steep slopes, then there may be no malfunction, you need to work under permissible conditions. To improve starting, the throttle lever, which is on many models, is moved to the maximum position.
The gasoline engine does not work well when the piston group is worn out or the piston burns out. To identify a breakdown, the engine is disassembled and serviceable parts are installed. Replace the elements in the case of a stuck crankshaft, with cracks in the casing of the engine or carburetor.
The engine brakes when the exhaust port is clogged at the outlet. The blockage is corrected by moving the piston to the upper position, followed by mechanical cleaning of soot with a thin wooden rod.
DIY electric lawn mower repair
Mechanical repair for all types of lawn mowers
Regardless of the type of engine, the mechanical part of the scythe includes knives, a device for ejecting or accumulating cut grass and a transmission mechanism. Most often, knives fail or line ends.
Cleaning the mechanical part of the Bosh lawn mower
Broken or bent knives are visible to the naked eye. Depending on the material and the degree of damage, the knives are replaced or restored by simply folding them back to their original state. With heavy wear, the cutting part can be sharpened. A do-it-yourself lawn mower from a trimmer can fail for many reasons. Most often this is an excess of the maximum permissible load on the torque and engine, since a knife is used instead of a fishing line.
Restoration of the throttle handle
When inspecting, check the condition of the grass supply duct into the container and, if necessary, clean it. Complex mechanical failures require a complex tool, special equipment, professional skills and it is better to entrust the elimination of such malfunctions to professionals.
Engine starts but does not hold load
If the engine starts and runs at idle, but does not hold the load poorly during operation. Most likely, “oxygen starvation” takes place. Such do-it-yourself lawn mower repair is performed by replacing or cleaning the “blow-through” air filter.
Do-it-yourself electric and gasoline lawn mowers repair
Repair of both gasoline and electric lawn mowers may be necessary at the most unexpected moment. We will tell you about the main breakdowns of home-made and branded equipment, tell you what to look for, and by what signs you can recognize a malfunction.
The engine starts poorly and runs unstably in all modes
Most likely causes: clogged fuel jets, clogged fuel filter, clogged air filter. For elimination: jets are blown with compressed air, filters are changed or washed, depending on their design.
Bosh lawn mower engine repair
Starts bad, but works fine
A do-it-yourself mechanical lawnmower with a gasoline engine does not start well, but it works normally in operating modes (when gas is supplied). This malfunction can be caused by two reasons. A malfunction of the idle system in the carburetor or an incorrect fuel composition.
Exploded drawing of a petrol lawn mower
To eliminate it, you should start with fuel, combine gasoline and oil of the required brands in the required proportion and pour this fuel into the tank instead of the old one. If that doesn’t work. Remove and disassemble the carburetor and adjust the idle system according to the manufacturer’s instructions.