How to Fix a Trimmer on Your Own
Trimmers must be repaired as soon as possible when the first signs of failure appear, so that minor malfunctions do not lead to more serious problems. All models are characterized by the presence of such main nodes and structural elements: drive system (engine), transmission devices, working part (knife or fishing line), belts and handles. Damage can occur in any part, but some nodes fail much more often than others.
Motor-scythes running on gasoline or electricity (like different models from different manufacturers) differ in the design and nature of the malfunctions. Some of them can be quite easily removed with your own hands, while others will require more overhaul or contacting a service center.
The main malfunctions of gasoline trimmers
The most frequent breakdowns of the brushcutter are associated with such structural elements:
- engine (in particular with a piston system);
- starter (rope break, breakage or out of engagement of the spring);
- with ignition or fuel supply system;
- gear mechanism (gear);
- filters and silencer.
Symptoms are as follows:
- the appearance of Lawn Mower uncharacteristic sounds;
- the brushcutter does not turn on, does not gain the required speed or stalls;
- when the engine is running, the working part does not rotate or slips;
- gasoline leak;
- excessive heating of individual nodes.
Smaller breakdowns that can be detected without any special diagnostics can also happen:
- depressing the start button;
- fall of the limiter;
- breakage of the fishing line or breakage (loss of sharpness) of the knife.
It’s easy to fix minor problems. Repairing a gas trimmer in more complex cases will require preliminary diagnosis to find out the exact reasons. If you have the appropriate knowledge and skills of locksmith work, then the problems can be fixed independently, replacing the failed parts.
Dismantling gasoline spit, lubricating its parts and replacing faulty elements
To disassemble the brushcutter for repairs, you will need, in general, such devices:
- a set of screwdrivers (with different tips) and wrenches;
- small puller for removing bearings;
- special candle key;
In each case, you will need to disassemble the individual nodes.
It should be borne in mind that the starter (launcher) in a number of models is non-separable. in this case, with problems with it, only an element replacement is possible. If the assembly is disassembled, then it can be repaired by removing and replacing the rope and spring, or by installing the latter in place (when it disengages).
Parsing and replacing the boom
Quite often, it is necessary to repair the trimmer bar. It is a structure of such parts:
- a drive shaft made of steel having multifaceted or square splines at the upper and lower ends;
- aluminum tubes;
- a plastic sleeve designed to maintain a centralized position of the drive shaft in the tube (so that it does not vibrate);
- rubber shock absorber needed to connect the rod to the motor;
- steering wheel with a handle used for control, and stand, belt.
On some models, there is a shock absorber between the steering rack and the boom. All control elements (locking lever, ignition switch, gas button) are located on the handle.
A bevel bevel gear is connected to the lower end of the rod, but some light models are available without it. This is due to the fact that the rod has a curved shape, and the flexible cable is the shaft.
How to disassemble the rod and then assemble it to lubricate the shaft or replace it, is detailed in the video below. In the same way, a broken bar is replaced with a new one.
It often happens that the multifaceted or square splines of the drive shaft “slip together”, while the working mechanism does not rotate or does this with a slip. Then the shaft is changed.
When appears knock on the tube, disassemble the rod and check the condition of the sleeve, and if necessary, replace it. How to assemble the throttle stick on the trimmer is discussed in the video below.
If the rod is not intact, suitable for installation, then you can pull the fault point with a clamp or impose a semblance of tire. Such a measure is temporary, so replace as soon as possible.
When a knife or fishing line is almost constantly spinning when the engine is idling, and uncharacteristic sounds emanate from the front of the motor, this indicates a breakdown of the clutch. The cause is a bursting spring. In this case, the technique mows normally.
If slipping occurs, in addition, the pads are worn out.
The trimmer clutch is repaired as follows:
- remove the cover from the muffler;
- remove the metal stand;
- after removing the cylinder and starter caps to gain access to the clutch;
- unscrew the side screws to remove the shock absorber cover;
- take the tube out of it, after having let in the tightening bolts;
- untwist the clutch (shown in the photo below);
- Inspect the condition of the springs, pads and bearings;
- they catch a new spring by threading the hooks into the corresponding holes;
- To replace the pads, you need to remove the spring, and then unscrew the bolts on them.
Video: How to Fix a Trimmer on Your Own
If necessary lock the crankshaft using, for example, a rope.
Repairing a gasoline engine, carburetor and gearbox
Problems with the engine can be caused by problems with the piston system, seals, rings. To eliminate them, you must remove the drive motor.
Determining what exactly caused the breakdown is not easy. If there is a guarantee, the mechanism should be taken to a service center for diagnosis and repair. If you turn to specialists for help there is no way, then you should consider that the most common replacement piston rings. To do this, you need to disassemble the engine, get the piston. Do this in the following sequence:
- remove the cover of the plastic case by unscrewing the screws or squeezing the clamps;
- disconnect the bar with the crankshaft;
- remove the cylinder head;
- take out the piston and rings;
- if necessary, carry out their replacement;
- assemble in the reverse order.
The rings should be installed carefully because they are fragile enough.
How the piston is put and what happens oil seal replacement during engine repair, it is clearly shown in the videos below:
With regular use, brushcutters can break gear. It wears out gears, bearings (they can also break). To prevent this from happening often, you should regularly lubricate this unit. Frequency is almost always indicated in the operating instructions for the model used (at least once a season). The roller below may serve as a repair instruction.
To grease gear, unscrew the plug and simply squeeze a suitable lubricant into the assembly by turning the shaft.
You can only remove and clean the carburetor yourself, as well as replace the gasket between it and the engine. The tightness of the node at home is quite problematic to determine. The main thing is to correctly assemble the equipment after repair so that the trimmer works without problems.
Common malfunctions of electric trimmers
Electric trimmers differ from gasoline devices in a more simplified design. Conventionally, an electric braid is divided into mechanical and electrical parts. Accordingly, the same groups of problems occurring with this equipment are distinguished.
Most breakdowns cannot be visually detected. To do this, you need to use various devices. Visually, you can determine the following:
- the integrity of the power cable is violated (insulation is torn from it, or it is clearly broken);
- falling or jamming of the start button;
- mechanical external damage to the brushcutter;
- problems with the cutting part;
- stopping the braid when clogging with grass;
- damage to the plug.
To find out which part has broken in other cases, you will need to disassemble the electric braid and consistently check the most likely options. In this case, pay attention to the external manifestations of deviations from the normal operation of the device. They help establish the cause.
Repair of an electric trimmer will require the following instruments and tools:
- indicator screwdrivers;
- multimeter or tester;
- soldering iron;
- a set of keys;
- screwdrivers with different nozzles.
Electric braids often do not work due to reasons not directly related to them, but caused by a decrease in the supply voltage in the network or the inoperative state of the used outlet.
How to disassemble and repair an electric braid yourself
Before disassembling and repairing the electric braid, you should check the status of the outlet and the voltage in the network. If its value deviates from the norms specified in the instruction manual, then you should not even try to work with the device without stabilizer, designed for the appropriate power. Otherwise, the motor may fail. Only after determining that the cause of the trimmer failure is directly related to it, can we begin to analyze the mechanism for repair purposes.
Dismantling and repair of electrical parts
Disassembly of the electric braid in order to repair its electrical part is carried out in this sequence.
- Lay the trimmer on a flat surface (such as a table) that does not contain excess objects.
- Unscrew the cover screws located on one side.
- Remove the unscrewed half of the case, gaining access to the start button, electric motor, brush assembly, bearings, electrical connections (these elements are shown in the photo below).
Disassembled electric trimmer
The brush and bearing assemblies are shown in the photograph below.
The braid will work and without thermal relay, only need to constantly independently check the temperature of the motor, periodically letting it cool. You can also install a new similar sensor.
The start button of the motor can be checked by shorting the jumper of its contacts. If the trimmer works, then the problem is clear. But this option is unsafe. Everything should be done carefully so as not to get an electric shock. To change the button, you should use a screwdriver to remove it from the seat and connect the wiring from the old to the new. After replacing, you need to assemble the electric braid, and then check its operability.
Brush replacement required if they collapsed. At the same time, remove the old ones enough from the grooves, and install the new ones in their place.
The connection terminals on different models of trimmers are almost identical, therefore, the connection-disconnection of wires is the same.
Bearing replacement It is a rather complicated operation because it can stick and not be removed from the motor shaft. Tighten or knock it down carefully so as not to damage the rotor or seat.
Bearing for trimmer ET1003A
When the trimmer motor fails and needs to be replaced with a new one, carefully remove the fan and bearings, and then install them in their original place. In terms of costs, the replacement is almost comparable to the acquisition of a new mechanism. It is better to entrust it to specialists in the absence of experience with electric motors.
Electric braid assembly
The assembly instructions for the electric part of the brushcutter are as follows:
- install the engine by tightening the mounting screws;
- connect an electric circuit;
- lay the wires neatly between the individual compartments in the existing recesses;
- close the top cover by latching the locks and screwing it with screws.
After assembly, check the operability of the device.
There are a lot of possible failures in gasoline and electric trimmers. For the device to be operational for a long time, it should be kept clean, in a dry place. The important point is regular preventive measures (e.g. gearbox lubrication) and compliance with the operating instructions set forth in the device manual. It is better to purchase equipment of high quality from well-known manufacturers.
When disassembling the mechanism, it is recommended to photograph the process in stages so as not to forget anything, and not to miss a single detail during assembly. When replacing parts, you should pay attention to the selection of suitable components: it is better to use original spare parts.
In some models, the rod consists of two parts. a coupling is used to connect them. Such devices are convenient for transportation.