How To Make A Cultivator From A Trimmer
How to make a snow blower from a trimmer blueprints
Snow Blower Assembly Manual
Not every trimmer is suitable for making a snow blower. If the farm has an electric or lawn mower with a curved bar, in which the torque is transmitted to the knife by a flexible cable, then the conversion process does not even need to start. The fact is that such trimmer models are low-power. The performance of the snow blower will be weak and the engine will constantly overheat.
A good snow blower comes from a powerful trimmer with a straight boom. Such an electric or gasoline scythe is characterized by the transfer of torque to the knife through a rigid shaft and a gearbox.
The device of snow removal equipment is simple. The working element is a nozzle, which is placed instead of a knife. It is an impeller with blades. For the manufacture of this part, you need steel with a thickness of 1.5 mm. The impeller must be placed in a casing. a snail. For its manufacture, take a piece of large diameter pipe, usually within 300 mm.
Re-equipping a trimmer with your own hands into a snow blower will do without complicated drawings, but at least the simplest diagram should be at hand. It will help create a general understanding of the design.
Now let’s take a step-by-step look at how to make a do-it-yourself snow blower from an electric or lawn mower:
- Snow blower manufacturing begins with the body. If you are lucky enough to get a beer barrel, then you need to cut a piece of 150 mm long from it. The workpiece is needed together with the bottom, since the trimmer gear will be fixed on it.
- A hole is drilled in the center of the bottom. Its diameter should be enough to pass the trimmer’s working shaft, on which an impeller-shaped attachment will be put on. Around the large hole, you need to mark the mounting location of the gearbox. Usually there are three points. Bolt holes are drilled according to the marking.
- Now for the snow blower you need to make an exit. a deflector, through the yaky snow will be thrown out. A hole is cut in the side shelf of the case. It can be made square or round as you wish. The hole diameter is 100 mm. The branch pipe is welded to it later. And now you need to cut a blank in the shape of a half circle from a sheet of steel. This plug is used to weld 1/3 of the end of the face of the snail body. The plug will prevent snow from flying out of the snail forward, but direct it into the deflector. The vent hole must be centered on the front cover.
- Next, you need to make a rotor for the snowplow, that is, the impeller itself, which will throw snow. The trimmer disc is taken as a basis. But first, four blades of 250×100 mm are cut out of steel. The blanks are made ideally of the same size to avoid imbalance. Finished blades are cross welded to the disc.
- Now it’s the turn to finish the deflector. The hole on the body is already ready, now you need to fix the pipe to it. It can be kicked out of galvanized steel. The branch pipe is made 100 mm high and welded to the body. A knee is fixed to it of a similar length so that the snow is ejected to the side. It is better to make the deflector round. You will NOT have to make an elbow for such a pipe. It can be taken from a plastic sewer with a diameter of 100 mm.
- The last piece left to make is the guide vane. It is cut from a sheet of steel. You should get a workpiece measuring 300×400 mm. On the sides, the sides are folded with a height of 20 mm. The finished blade is welded to the bottom of the body from the front side.
- All parts of the snow blower are ready, it remains only to assemble them into a single structure. First, the trimmer gear is bolted to the volute. The shaft comes out inside the housing. They put on a homemade nozzle with blades.
The do-it-yourself SNOW-CLEANER from the trimmer will be considered ready when the rotary structure is installed on the frame. It is enough to weld a regular rectangle from the corners. Wooden runners are fixed to the frame from below. On skis, it is easier to push the snow blower through the snow. The control handle is the native trimmer bar.
An example of a snow blower from a trimmer is shown:
Converting the trimmer to a snow blower
The device of such a homemade product is so simple that you do NOT have to build complex drawings and grind parts. You just need to make an impeller, which is attached to the trimmer instead of a knife and place this whole structure in a casing.
In terms of efficiency, the auger wins the rotor. The mechanism consists of screw circular knives. While rotating, they cut even stale, wet and icy cover. The spiral turns move the Collected Mass towards the center of the body, where the blades push it through the deflector. If you connect such a nozzle to the trimmers, it will be able to throw snow to the side at a distance of up to 3 m. However, it must be taken into account that the auger mechanism creates a large load on the engine. Especially. this is observed when removing hard snow. Only a powerful trimmer can be used for this attachment.
How to make a cultivator, lawn mower, motorbike, snow blower from a trimmer
Which is better for trailer trimmers: auger or rotor
When making a snow blower from a trimmer, there are two options for installing the working mechanism: auger and rotor. Let’s look at what is the difference between the designs, as well as their positive and negative sides.
The advantage of the rotary mechanism is the ease of assembly. After all, the mechanical part practically remains native. The impeller is made of a circular cutter, which fits to the trimmer head. The range of snow throwing in such a design can reach 6 m.
The disadvantage of the rotor is its use only on loose and freshly fallen cover. Wet snow will stick to the snail, and pieces of ice can jam between the blades.
The mechanical part of the snow blower can be chosen as you wish. But in any case, remember that the trimmer is NOT designed for such a heavy load. The engine must be taken a break during operation so that it does not overheat.
Homemade snow blower
There are many options for creating snow removal equipment based on a trimmer. The easiest way to upgrade is to replace the knife with a rotor. Such a snow blower works like a shovel, but at the same time it is simply moved through the snow: the device rakes it and moves it to the side.
To implement the planned alteration, you will need the following materials and tools:
- a lawn mower with a straight bar, at the end of which a reducer is installed;
- A metal keg, suitable even for beer, for example, from the drink “Baltika”;
- Trimmer cutter with multiple teeth (used for mowing dense thickets of grass)
- Drill with drills;
- angle grinder and welding machine.
Instead of a barrel, you can use a thin sheet of metal (sheet metal) 1.5 mm thick.
The snow blower assembly process is performed in the following sequence:
- Cut in a circle, departing from the bottom of 15 cm, keg;
- They make a hole in the bottom for the lawn mowers gearbox and drill 3 more small holes to fix its shield;
- A 10 by 10 cm square is cut from the side to throw snow out of it;
- A third of the open front part of the barrel is closed with a piece of metal (gestures), while the hole for the ejection should be located along the central mowing line of the damper;
- The rotor is made;
- A deflector is made, which will direct the ejected snow in the right direction;
- It is welded to the body at the location of the hole for the ejection of the snow mass;
- Attach the blade from below;
- Install the lawn mowers’ gearbox and secure with bolts;
- They put the rotor like a simple working knife.
The deflector is done like this:
- A strip is cut out of metal, the width of which is 15 cm and the length is 30 cm;
- Bend the workpiece slightly;
- Welded from the long sides of the sides 10 cm high so that the snow does NOT scatter at the exit.
The rotor is made in the following sequence:
- Cut rectangular strips from a metal sheet measuring 25 by 10 cm;
- Cut and grind the plates in the shape of the blades;
- Weld them crosswise to the disc from the lawn mowers.
A spatula is made from the remnants of the material. To do this, use a piece of gestures 30 by 40 cm.Along the long sides, the edges are bent to form a two-centimeter side.
A self-made snow plow should be used at full throttle. this will extend the life of the device, because frequent pressing on the gas leads to engine breakdown. It is difficult to weld thin metal because it can easily burn through it. Therefore, the work must be done by an experienced welder.
Construction assembly sequence
To independently assemble a bicycle with a gasoline engine, you will need, in addition to the materials and parts considered, also:
- Cable for adjusting engine operation;
- Exhaust pipe, welded;
- Chain tensioner.
Motorbikes are assembled according to the following algorithm:
- They put an asterisk on the rear bicycle wheel;
- The engine (with an asterisk on the shaft) is fixed with a clamp on the frame behind the seat or on the trunk, if the design features of the bicycle allow, otherwise you will need to choose another convenient place for this purpose;
- Put the chain on the sprockets of the wheel and engine;
- Attach the tensioner;
- Adjust the chain tension;
- Fix the gas handle;
- Stretch a cable from it to the engine;
- Secure the fuel tank;
- Mount the carburetor.
For the purpose of personal safety during operation, motorbikes modernize the braking system, change wheel tires for non-slip products, check the integrity and stability in motion of the created structure. After the entire structure is assembled, it is tested, having previously examined for imperfections.
lawn mowers can be converted into a motor-drill, which will also be used as an ice screw if necessary. As a result, construction work will be accelerated and will require less labor. Motorized drills make recesses for fence posts, pile foundations and for the erection of other structures.
We make a motorbike
From an ordinary bicycle, home craftsmen managed to make it more practically into a vehicle. they rearranged the engine from a lawn mower to it. At the same time, options are practically implemented with both a gasoline engine and an electric motor.
DIY lawn mower
The lawn mower makes it easier to care for ornamental grassy plantings, and also speeds up the work in the presence of large areas that need to be processed. There are many ready-made, easy-to-use models on the market for such equipment, but they are expensive, therefore not available to everyone. They also quickly fail in the presence of large weeds and stones on the site. Homemade products are much cheaper than factory counterparts, moreover, they are more practical to work with.
The components of the lawn mower design are:
- Engine (gasoline or electric), which is the basis of the created mechanism;
- A frame designed to fix all parts of the device on it;
- Shroud for protection;
- Handles and wheels;
- Control system block of the created unit.
Craftsman folk invent many different ways of converting a trimmer into a lawn mower. The simplest option is presented on:
A frame version of a homemade device is very common in practice. Tools and materials for the independent implementation of the project will be required the same as in the previous case. Plus you still need:
- Plywood letter (or metal 3-4 mm thick);
- Metal corner 25×25 mm;
- 2 m pipes of different diameters.
The manufacturing process is as follows:
- A rectangular frame 50×60 cm is welded from the corner;
- Wheels of the required size are installed in the corners, which can be taken even from old toys;
- On top of the frame, plywood cut to its size is fixed or metal is welded;
- In the center of the trolley, a hole is made for the trimmer bar and fasteners for it;
- A knife is made or a suitable ready-made option is chosen;
- Next, fix the lawn mower on the cart;
- Install the knife;
- Mounted to protect against flying in different directions Cut grass cover on the back of the cart;
- Start to try out the device.
There are many ways to make knives, and their shape (design) is radically different. At the same time, various materials and old tools are used (for example, an old wood saw). The main principle is that the knives are well sharpened and balanced. this is necessary to prevent vibration of the equipment during operation.
It often happens that they do NOT use an old lawn mower, but only the engine from the trimmer and the control unit for it. In this case, you will need to make handles for the trolley and fix all structural details on the frame.
When assembling and operating the mower, be sure to follow safety precautions to avoid injury. You can also attach a bag to the machine to collect the mowed grass.
Other homemade options
Thanks to the economical and reliable engine, the trimmer is the basis for many other homemade products. Below we will briefly describe the possible options and give instructions for their implementation.
Making a snowmobile for children
The trimmer can also be converted into a snowmobile. The process consists of installing the engine on a structure equipped with skis. Due to the insufficient power of the motors available on lawn mowers, the created independent technique is capable of transporting only a small weight. She also moves over relatively flat terrain. Such a homemade product will serve as an interesting and useful toy for children.
Thes below show some possible options for homemade equipment:
DIYers have come up with many different ways to adapt the trimmer motor to the snowmobile. Here, the restrictions are related to personal imagination and the existing list of unnecessary devices and equipment that can be used to create homemade snowmobiles.
Lawn mower ice screw
The lawn mower can be converted into an ice screw. Factory counterparts are quite complex and powerful devices. Structurally, the technique is a screw connected to the engine (in most cases, two-stroke units are installed). Industrial devices are equipped with automatic safety systems, which turn off the ice screw in case of malfunction and exclude the possibility of accidental starting. The models also differ in the number of speeds: one- or two-speed.
For fans of winter fishing, buying a factory unit is expensive, and it is hard to work with a manual device with a large ice thickness. Converting an old trimmer into an ice screw will help save energy and money.
In addition to lawn mowers, you will need storms (factory or homemade) and tools for assembling the final design. The difficulty lies in attaching the working part to the trimmer. Much depends on the available lawn mower model.
The followings show how an ice screw made from a trimmer works:
The last contains a possible option for attaching the drill to lawn mowers.
Compared to industrial counterparts, a home-made ice drill is a low-power device, but enough for drilling holes. Also, the device is lightweight, which makes it easy to transport.
Converting a trimmer to a chainsaw
A gasoline lawn mower can also make a chainsaw. To translate the rationalization idea into reality, you will need old device models. All details will be taken with him. The below shows the result.
Converting the trimmer into gasoline dust consists in installing this part from lawn mowers on it instead of your own engine.