How to Put a Chain on a Saw
To perform a sufficiently large number of works, a chainsaw can be used. The main cutting element of such a tool is represented by a chain with various blades. Modern versions are characterized by the fact that they can be serviced independently. When cutting for a long time or if basic recommendations are not followed, the cutting edge wears out quickly. That is why it is necessary to carry out the removal and sharpening of the chain, and then its installation. A similar procedure is characterized by a fairly large number of features, which we will discuss in more detail later.
How to put a chain on a chainsaw: direction
When considering how to correctly put the chain on a chainsaw, we note the moment that the modern version of the tool has a special mounting wheel. Due to it, the procedure is greatly simplified. Among its features, we note the following points:
- Considering how to properly put a chain on a chainsaw, we note that for a start you should prepare a flat surface. Due to this, the probability of damage to the tool can be eliminated. After that, the main part of the tool, the tire and the chain are laid out separately.
- The next step is to remove the protection, which is designed to protect the sprocket. In most cases, it is fixed using a conventional wing nut.
- On the tire, the tension sprocket turns to the right until it stops. It is in this position that the tool is installed.
- Next, the chain is gradually superimposed on the locking element. A fairly common question can be called on which side this element is posed. Installation starts from the top, the chain rotates so that the tire is on top. Such operations should be performed exclusively with thick gloves that can withstand the impact of the cutting edge. The cutter on the end surface should be located forward.
- Both elements are worn on an asterisk.
- The next step is to re-attach the chain sprocket cover. It is important to ensure that the pins align with the holes. Improper fixation can cause rattling or other problems.
- It is necessary to ensure that the guides fall into a special gutter.
- The condition of the chain is checked visually after it is fixed.
The next step is to directly check whether the chain has been pulled. To do this, release the chain brake and pull it along the line of movement. Inspection is carried out exclusively with special gloves.
In general, we can say that the procedure under consideration is quite simple to implement and special tools are not required for its implementation. However, not all chainsaws are as easy to service as described above.
Functions and device chainsaws
In order to understand the features of the procedure under consideration, you should also consider in detail the device of the chainsaw. Among the features, the following points can be noted:
- The main part is represented by an engine. In most cases, a single-cylinder structure is installed, since this is quite enough for cutting.
- The piston system is push-pull, and air cooling. During operation, a relatively small amount of thermal energy is released, therefore, blowing is enough to remove heat.
- As in many other designs, the oil in question is required, which ensures the smooth movement of the movable element. Oil is added directly to the fuel. Depending on the design features, oil and fuel are mixed in the range of 1:20 or 1:50.
- An important structural element can be called an air filter. Fuel is mixed with air to produce a specific mixture, which is fed into the combustion chamber. If you do not constantly clean the filter element, then there is a chance that debris will fall into the cylinder block. This will cause rapid wear or even jamming of the device.
- A special design is presented as a starter, which is driven by a rope with a handle. If you pull the rope strongly, the flywheel is set in motion.
- The main working mechanism is a tire with a clasp. It is designed to guide the chain and fix it.
- The classic chain consists of three teeth: leading, cutting, connecting. The cutting edge is fastened with rivets.
A fairly common situation can be called the case when you have to pull the handle for a long time. It is due to the fact that the carburetor incorrectly mixes fuel with air. In most cases, it is enough to configure the device in accordance with the features of operation. A chainsaw will not last long if proper maintenance is not provided.
Why does the chain fly. find out the reasons
When considering how to install a chain on a chainsaw, you should also pay attention to what causes it to fly off. There are three main reasons:
- Malfunctioning tires.
- Malfunction of the main elements.
- Weak fixation of the driven sprocket.
- Strong chain elongation.
Each reason becomes the reason why with the use of chainsaws a lot of difficulties arise.
Today, there is often a problem associated with unreliable fixation of the tire. It is characterized by the following features:
- The housing with the guide element is fixed with a bolt.
- The connection is provided by two plates, one of which is located on the body, the second on the one that is designed to guide the circuit at the time of operation.
- The drive sprocket and tire support are protected by a special casing, which eliminates the possibility of damage to the main elements.
- When the locking bolts are loosened, the considered structural element begins to move and vibrate at the time of operation. You can solve this problem by tightening the fasteners.
Other defects simply cannot be solved. In most cases, defects become the reason why you have to purchase a tire and replace it.
How to put a chain and a tire on a chainsaw: assembly
The procedure under consideration is quite simple. It is characterized by the following features:
- First, the chain brake is released.
- The tensioning screw is in close proximity to the tire.
- The next step is to pull the cutting element clockwise.
- If it is difficult to move the chain, you have to loosen the locking screw.
Modern chainsaw designs greatly simplify this work. Therefore, you can perform it yourself even in the absence of special tools.
The chain is stretched
If the chain is used incorrectly or for a long time, it can stretch a lot. This is due to the fact that the metal may deform over time. Too much wear becomes the reason why you have to purchase a new version, but it is possible to use the old for a short period. Quick stretching can only be avoided if the operating instructions are followed. To carry out the work required:
It is not difficult to put on a stretched version of the performance, but with the restoration there are quite a few problems, since the metal is characterized by increased strength. In this case, the main elements are fastened with rivets. The work is carried out as follows:
- The product is fastened in tees.
- If the work is carried out using an angle grinder, then there is a chance that the surface will be damaged, since this tool is difficult to control.
- After grinding, rivets are knocked out. Do not throw it away due to the possibility of repeated use.
- Chain manufacturers do not produce spare parts that are required for maintenance.
- You can make a rivet with your own hands, but the work is quite complicated.
- The product is divided into two parts. It is worth considering that the number of guides and the distance between them should remain unchanged.
When solving a problem with a long length, do not forget that the chain too short can no longer be pulled. In addition, it is not recommended to apply oil to the saw chain.
Poorly fixed drive sprocket
Quite widespread was the option when the leading sprocket is poorly fixed. Often, she herself detaches herself during operation. The solution to this problem is as follows:
- The engine cover and spark plug are removed, after which the air filter is removed.
- The next step is to dismantle the spark plug, which requires a special key.
- A special plug allows you to lock the piston in position.
- The clutch plate is turned with a special key until the piston changes position, which should be located on top.
After that, you can fix the sprocket in the correct position and solve the problem in question. The indicated information indicates that such work is rather problematic, often it is carried out by organizations serving chainsaws.
How to install a chainsaw cutter
After installing the chain, tighten it correctly and check the degree of tension. Among the features of this point, we note the following:
- Too much tension causes excessive load, so the product may burst.
- Lack of tension leads to chain wear and many other problems.
In general, we can say that there are practically no problems with fixing an unworn product.
You can stretch using two methods: fast and frontal. If stretch is used, then the chain is installed on the chainsaw as follows:
- Unscrew the nuts.
- The tire is held and lifted off the edge.
- There is a special bolt that is used to tension the chain.
- The tire rises to eliminate the possibility of sagging of the canvas.
Video: How to Put a Chain on a Saw
To do such a job is quite simple, it requires a small set of tools.
The quick method involves lifting the wing nut handle and loosening it, the screw rotates clockwise, after which the wing nut is also tightened and the handle is released.
Chain tension is carried out in a clockwise direction when there is not much free time. The chain screw is fixed securely to eliminate the possibility of rattling at the time of operation.
It is important to timely check the degree of tension. As previously noted, with sagging or strong tension, the cutting edge can wear out quickly. The work on checking the condition of the circuit is carried out as follows:
- First, the brake system is turned off.
- In gloves, the chain on the tire is held manually.
- If it goes to the right and does not sag, then everything is fine.
- If it runs back to back, then the tension should be slightly relaxed, since there is a possibility of a break at the time of operation.
Proper operation of the chainsaw significantly extends its service life. The main recommendations are as follows:
- You need to clean the spark plug from time to time, due to which you can ensure an easy start. Over time, soot may appear on the surface, which greatly complicates the process of igniting the fuel mixture.
- Lubrication of bearings is carried out regularly. For this, a special substance or motor oil is used. If the device runs dry, then there is a possibility of significant wear. Adding lubricant solves a fairly large number of problems.
- Regular lubrication of the air filter is necessary, in some cases it is lubricated with oil. If necessary, replace the filter with a new one. Do not forget that the filter element eliminates the possibility of contaminants entering the cylinder block.
- Before direct work, attention is paid to ensure that all the locking elements are well tightened. To do this, you have to conduct a visual inspection every time before using a chainsaw.
- The driven sprocket must also be lubricated continuously. In addition, there is a possibility of its clogging. Otherwise, the item wears out quickly.
- Sharpen and chain the oil periodically. Operation with significant defects is not recommended, as this significantly increases the degree of wear.
In conclusion, we note that timely maintenance should be carried out, since otherwise even a high-quality tool will not last for a long period. In some cases, you have to take the saw to special firms that provide related services.
If you find an error, please select a piece of text and press Ctrlenter.
Chainsaw chain is the element that is subjected to the greatest loads and overheating. From such influences, it can break, fly off the guide rail or just become dull from prolonged use. For timely maintenance or replacement with a new one, you need to know how to remove the chain from the chainsaw yourself and install it back. A step-by-step algorithm of these operations will be shown below.
The direction of the chain and which side to wear
The chain of the chainsaw, if you carefully consider it, has saw teeth directed in one direction. Therefore, the correct direction of the saw teeth on the guide tire is very simple to determine: if you place the chainsaw itself in the plane that it is in the process of working, then the row of teeth located on top of the guide tire, with sharp edges should be directed towards the end of the tire. At the same time, the row of teeth, which is located below the chainsaw, with sharp edges should look in the opposite direction, in the direction of the drive sprocket.
It will not work to put the chain with its teeth inward to the grooves in the guide rail, it simply will not stay on the tire. Therefore, it is necessary to wear the chain of the chainsaw on the tire so that the guide ears of the links of the saw blade are directed inside the guide tire.
The chain of the chainsaw together with the guide bar during operation experience the greatest load, unlike other parts of the chainsaw. Over time, it lengthens in size due to the boring of gaps in the connecting links. This process occurs absolutely with any kind of chains, therefore, when operating a chainsaw, it is necessary to periodically monitor the correct chain tension and its wear.
The following depend on the state of the circuit:
- the term of her life;
- safety of work on felling or dissolution of wood;
- ICE resource.
If the chain is tightened, then the efficiency of sawing is reduced, the engine and transmission are subjected to increased loads. The guide tire is very hot due to increased friction, the operation mode of the chainsaw goes to the excessive consumption of the fuel mixture.
What to do if the chain sags
If the chain slacks, there is a risk of injury to the operator. after all, the saw blade may break or simply fly off the guide sprockets. Of course, modern chainsaws have security systems and emergency stops, but these systems do not always work correctly.
It is important not to install a chain with defective or damaged saw links on the chainsaw, in addition to the danger of tearing at any time, such a chain will sharpen the guide grooves of the tire, which will lead to its skew, uneven cut and failure of the guide bar.
What can cause a chain to sag during even short operation?
- There may be problems with the guide rail. Sometimes due to an oversight of the operator or due to severe wear of the threads of the fixing bolts in the place of fastening of the guide bar, vibration can occur, which causes a weakening of the chain tension. It is necessary to check the condition of the fixing bolts and, if necessary, replace them with new ones. When the bolts are sufficiently tightened, such problems do not arise.
- When the chainsaw is handled with care enough over time, any chain may wear out. Trying to repair it or assemble one from several is a futile task. If the chain headset is stretched due to natural reasons, it is best to purchase a new one.
- The asterisk is skewed. Due to the displacement of the sprocket teeth, sagging may occur. In this case, it is best to contact the service center to repair and adjust the position of the driving star. It is quite difficult to fix the drive sprocket in the correct position, because you will have to dismantle many small parts, remove the guide rail, and then reassemble everything in the reverse order.
Step-by-step installation algorithm
Not all modern chainsaws are equipped with an installation wheel, which greatly simplifies the installation of the saw blade. Systems with an adjusting wheel among household chainsaws are generally rare. Therefore, it is very important to know the technology and sequence of installing the chain on a chainsaw.
Key points to pay attention to:
- Prepare a flat surface on which you will put together the chain and the bar. This will minimize the chance of damage to the chainsaw or loss of small parts. A tire is laid out on the prepared surface and a chain is parallel in parallel.
- Remove the sprocket protection, on modern chainsaws it is enough to unscrew the wing nut, on older models, you may need a ring wrench of the appropriate size.
- At the base of the guide rail, turn the tension sprocket all the way to the right. Only in this position is the chain installed.
- Then the chain in series link by link is imposed on the locking groove on the guide rail. Install the chain from the top of the guide, gradually rotate it so that the tire is always on top, and the chain is below, this will allow it to always be in a taut state and lie in the guide groove without problems. When you perform this step, be sure to wear thick protective gloves, because your fingers will touch the cutting edge. Seen from above, the cutter is always located forward to the end of the guide rail.
- Put the tire and chain on the drive sprocket.
- Fasten the chain sprocket cover in place. Make sure that all mounting pins align with the holes. Incorrect installation with distortions or not to the end can be the cause of extraneous noise, rattling.
- Make sure that the guides “enter” into the special mounting groove.
- After installation, check the chain fixation on the chainsaw and on the tire. Everything should be securely fixed without backlash.
An important point is the degree of chain tension after its installation. Setting the correct tension is very simple and takes no more than three minutes. First, loosen the nuts on the protective cover. Use the freely rotating adjusting screw to catch the correct tension so that the chain does not stretch more than 3-5 mm from the edge of the guide bar.
It remains only to tighten the nuts and check the tension. If adjustment is needed, adjust the tension again.
What is important to know: when the chain is in operation, due to the friction forces, its metal is very hot and expands, while the length increases. Therefore, it is important to regularly check the tension and correct it in time.
How to install the tire and chain on a chainsaw, see the following video, which presents a clear algorithm of actions:
How to unravel a chainsaw chain
When removing the old or when putting on a new chain on the guide bar of the chainsaw, it may get confused. It can also occur during sloppy transport. When the chain is tangled, it folds into rings.
Due to the lack of flexibility in the transverse direction, it is very difficult to untangle it with bare hands, because when you try to untangle one ring in another place, a new ring is formed.
It is necessary to put the chain of the chainsaw on a horizontal surface and untwist the rings in different directions, while pulling the blade in such a direction that the diameter of the rings increases. Sooner or later, the chain will unravel in its natural position.
There is another way. you can rivet one link of the chain and straighten it, then connect it into a ring and rivet the riveted links back.
Why does the chain jump
Many, even the most experienced users of chainsaws, faced in their life a situation where the chain jumped off the guide bar during operation. The most common cause is insufficient chain tension or wear.
In 80% of cases, the stretched chain links slip from the teeth of the drive sprocket, and under the action of centrifugal force it flies out from the guide. Although sometimes the problem arises due to the incorrect position of the sprocket relative to the axis of rotation or a loosely fixed saw tire on a chainsaw.
Now on sale there are many models of chains for chainsaws. First you need to know what size is right for your chainsaw and not make a mistake in the purchase. The second step is to correctly install it on a chainsaw. This is a somewhat time-consuming process, but if you know how to dress and set the chain on the saw bar yourself, then the happy owner should have no problems. We tried to describe in detail the process of installing the saw blade on a chainsaw.
We hope that after reading this article you will succeed the first time. But in order to minimize the appearance of problems with a chainsaw and chain in the future, do not forget 3 basic rules:
- If the chain is worn out and sagging. replace it with a new one;
- If vibration occurs during cutting and the cut is bad. watch for chain tension on the chainsaw;
- Never use saw blades that are defective or repaired by dubious specialists, your health and those who are near are much more important than a small cost savings on buying a new and reliable chain.
Installing the chain on a chainsaw, how to pull and check the tension
If you have a chainsaw at home, you should know that this requires special care. It is necessary to periodically clean and sharpen the chains, clean the air filter, oil supply and tires. And, of course, you need to monitor chain stretching, since if you pull it badly, there is a risk not only to damage the saw, but also your health if the chain flies off at high speed.
Chainsaw device features
The main part of the gasoline saw engine. In most modern devices, the engine is single-cylinder. Air cooling, push-pull piston system. Oil in these types of engines is added directly to gasoline, and all because of the fact that the fuel constantly flushes the crankcase. The oil-gasoline ratio ranges from 1:20 to 1:50, depending on the manufacturer of the chainsaw.
The chainsaw air filter plays an equally important role. He needs regular cleaning. If you allow the filter to become very dirty, dust from it will fall directly into the piston system, which will damage the engine.
If the filter becomes clogged, the saw loses speed and the engine starts to overheat, and this can cause the piston rings to burn.
Chainsaw starter. This is a rope with a handle, pulling which you control the engine. When you pull the rope, the teeth cling to the ratchet, the flywheel begins to rotate.
Many complain that pulling a rope for a long time to ignite the engine. It depends on whether the carburetor is positioned correctly. If the carburetor produces the correct mixture of oil and gasoline, then no problems.
The main working mechanism. tire with clasp.
The chain consists of three types of teeth: leading, cutting and connecting. They are connected by rivets. Cutting teeth are located on two sides: right and left.
Chains are divided into two types: high profile and low profile. The first type includes clamps, in which the teeth are located with a large gap, in the second. with less clearance. In addition, chains can vary in liner thickness and line length. A chainsaw chain is attached to a tire that guides it to the right side. The end of the tire has a specific groove that holds the links and allows the chain to rotate. There is a driven sprocket in front of the bus. A chain with a tire is called a headset because they are removable parts of a chainsaw.
The gasoline saw has an automatic chain lubrication system. The tire delivers oil, which then absorbs the sawdust. If the saw is idling, the oil supply stops.