How to Put a Disc Right on an Angle Grinder
The disc “angle grinder” (angle grinder) is one of its main working parts. It is the disc that determines the use of the tool. With its help, this machine can be used for cutting, grinding or polishing various materials. Depending on the purpose, the disks differ from each other: from abrasive chips. for metal, steel mills and circular saws. for wood processing, with diamond spraying. for stone and tile, various kinds of brushes, brushes and emery wheels. for polishing various surfaces.
The disk “angle grinder” is a consumable item; you will not be able to save on it in the process. The disk is gradually erased (burned out) and must be changed. When planning work, you need to be prepared for this and it is better to stock up on several removable disks in advance.
How to install?
Installing a disk on the UMSh is not so complicated. You can change it simply by following the instructions, although there are some nuances here.
First of all, you need to install the disk the right side. This is especially important if it is cut-off. Usually the side of the disc with the label on which the marking is indicated and, accordingly, the area of its application, is slightly different from the opposite side. This may not be immediately apparent, but with prolonged intensive work, the difference will not only be noticeable. it will be obvious.
On the side on which the label is glued, a wide clamping washer is placed, and the movable nut acts on it when tightening (installing the disc). The nut slides along the polished surface of the washer; without it, it will become more difficult to tighten or unscrew, since the abrasive will hold the nut firmly and more force will be required. This is especially important if a quick disk replacement is required or if it breaks down (jamming).
There is always a chance of disk destruction, but installed correctly, it breaks only at high loads, the disk structure takes into account the difference in loads on both sides.
With circular saws or other products that have teeth or a significant difference between the two sides, the problem of how to set, usually does not arise. For example, it is not possible to fix the grinding disk on the contrary: it simply will not be possible for them to work.
Disks on a stone, including diamond, have a special rotation indicator in the form of an arrow: when installing them, you need to mount them taking into account where the stock will rotate.
When installing, it is also important to consider the size of the disk. In no case should you neglect safety and remove the protective cover. it is better to choose a disk of the appropriate diameter. Sometimes a smaller disk is placed on a “corner grinder” of a smaller size from a large unit. However, an actuated disk, as a rule, cuts worse, the working surface is limited to about half the radius of the disk, the structure is slightly different. The disk burns faster, but does less work. This operation can be justified if the diameter of the rod matches. But the change back will not succeed.
During installation, no debris should get under the disk. Of course, the clamping nut may well squeeze small objects, something will press into the surface of the circle. But a skew imperceptible to the eye will cause a displacement of the plane of rotation and, as a result, a strong vibration of the entire mechanism, it can cause destruction of the disk and, of course, one should not hope for an accurate cut.
Video: How to Put a Disc Right on an Angle Grinder
Before installing the disk, the "angle grinder" must be disconnected from the network. this is the main safety requirement, since a sudden start at this time is fraught with serious injuries.
The clamping nut must be unscrewed with the wrench supplied with the tool. To prevent the stem from rolling, it must be locked by pressing a special button. Unscrew the nut while holding the button down.
After twisting the nut, the disc is put on the released stem, facing outward, and you need to make sure that it is installed exactly on the seat.
A set of new “angle grinder” always includes a number of cardboard gaskets. when installing the disk, they must be laid so that they are between the disk and the clamping elements. Such gaskets will help unscrew a broken or jammed disk.
Further, the nut is manually tightened completely and tightened with a special wrench. Everything, the "angle grinder" is ready for work.
How to remove it?
Disks, especially those intended for cutting, quickly “burn out” and have to be changed.
It will be useful to once again recall the need to disconnect the "angle grinder" from the network. Work is to be done with rapidly rotating parts and it is better to protect yourself.
If you need to replace a used drive, you need to perform a number of simple operations.
- The disc is mounted on the stem spindle with a threaded nut. In the kit of any angle grinder there is a special key, on the horns of which there are fixed pins that cling to the holes of the flange.
- The spindle is fixed with a special button, the cotter pin, when pressed, enters the hole of the gearbox, thereby fixing it. By pressing the button with your right hand, at the same time with your left hand you need to unscrew the fastening nut with a key. If the nut has budged, it is unscrewed by hand. That’s it, now the disk can be removed.
- There are times when for some reason the key was not at hand. What to do? The easiest way is to stop working. But, as they say, this is not our method. It is also possible to unscrew the clamping nut “angle grinder” without a key. Often, a pipe (gas) key is used for this. On such a key there is a device that spreads it. It is necessary to tighten the nut and, fixing the gearbox “angle grinder” with a button, move it from its place. Then it can be unscrewed by hand.
- The nut has holes for fixing it with pins on the key horns, you can unscrew it by tapping with a hammer on a chisel or rod rested in the hole.
- Sometimes it is possible to touch the nut simply by tapping on its edge with a hammer in the direction of twisting. However, in this case, flange damage may occur, especially of the holes for the key pins; later, it may not be possible to apply the key to such a nut.
- A very good result is obtained when using a nail for the manufacture of a key. It is better to choose a large nail, from 100 mm. With the help of a hammer and pliers, a nail is attached to a U-shape. A hacksaw or a chisel cuts off the point and head of the nail. With such an improvised key, you can try to remove the nut. You can bend the ends of such a key, then it will turn into a kind of open-end wrench, but this will require a lot of labor. You can also insert a collar, for example, a hammer or another nail, into the arc formed by a bent nail.
How to change a disk if it is jammed?
What to do if the circle on the "angle grinder" is jammed? This can happen, for example, when as a result of work the pieces of the cut workpiece sharply clamp the rotating disk. Often this leads to its destruction.
To unscrew the nut tightened as a result of rotation, if the circle bites, it can be very difficult.
- One of such methods will be the use of two gas keys at once. The remaining discs must be broken with pliers. One key must clamp the part of the stem located under the disk, and the other. unscrew the flange.
- Sometimes, in order to gain access of the gas key to the rod “angle grinder”, it is necessary to disassemble the gearbox.
- A simple device. cardboard or tin washers. saves from the problem of a jammed nut. Often they are sold with an "angle grinder." But over time, they may be lost or become completely unusable. Making homemade washers is not at all difficult. However, it is better not to neglect them.
In extreme cases, the flange can be sawed with a hacksaw for metal, followed by its replacement with a new one.