How to Seal a Plastic Trimmer Tank
Any drop or mechanical impact may cause cracks. And the water-permeable container becomes useless. But stick a plastic water tank it is quite possible that she should serve properly for some time.
To seal a plastic barrel is quite possible at home. We will consider two options for how to eliminate holes in plastic barrels and other containers.
For work, the following materials and tools will be required:
- Stainless mesh (you can take aluminum, copper),
- 100 watt soldering iron.
- Cut off a piece of mesh with scissors.
- We fix the grid at the place of damage to the depth of the thickness of the grid.
- We align it along the seam, moving along the entire plane. At the same time, we solder the grid in parallel with a soldering iron, hold the free edge with a knife, and immediately after cooling, cool with a heat exchanger (knife) – this is an important rule so that the grid does not bristle.
- We introduce the entire mesh into the seam using this method.
- At the end of the work, the seam is completely sealed and reinforced, which gives it strength.
- Repeat the procedure on the back of the tank.
If you have to repair a container in which water is under pressure, you can resort to another method.
To work, you will need:
- Flexible plastic patch
- Building hair dryer
- Protective gloves.
- Wipe the damaged area, remove dirt.
- We start to heat with a hairdryer at low power, so as not to burn a hole, a place with a defect.
- We heat the patch with a hairdryer on the side that will be adjacent to the crack. Gray is already at a higher power.
- We apply the patch to the place of damage and continue to warm up with a hairdryer, adding more power. Protective gloves must be worn on hands so as not to burn yourself. It is important not to overheat the surface.
- Smooth the patch with your fingers and wait for cooling. Pour water and check the quality of work.
The first methodology in practice proved the most effective. The second is more likely to be a temporary measure.
How to seal a plastic tank or a barrel for water – the choice of epoxy
If the defect in the plastic container is small, you can use epoxy glue. Two-component epoxy glue will help to effectively solve the problem of a leaky plastic tank.
It is characterized by increased resistance to moisture and chemicals, polymerizes in just 1 hour, not combustible.
It is necessary to cut off the required amount of glue, knead with clean hands until a homogeneous mass is obtained, mold a cone from it and insert it into the tank opening. Securely lock for a few minutes.
Then you need to wait 2 hours, after which the container can be operated.
Well-established epoxy adhesive-plasticine Contact. It can be used directly under water, resistant to moisture.
Features of Contact epoxy glue:
- Restores the shape of products, and also hermetically fills voids,
- Not afraid of not only water, but also oils, solvents,
- The repaired tank can be used at temperatures from 40 ° C to 150 ° C,
- Within 3-5 minutes the glue can be corrected, and after an hour it can be cleaned, grinded and subjected to other mechanical influences,
- Glue is sold ready to use.
The cost of this composition is from 150 rubles per package in 50 g.
Also have similar properties General Purpos Permapoxy Permatex adhesives (from 314 rubles per 25 ml) and Plastic Weld Permapoxy PERMATEX (from 320 rubles per 25 ml).
Video: How to Seal a Plastic Trimmer Tank
Typically, tanks are made of ceramics. They look aesthetically pleasing, easy to care for, but they have one big drawback: tanks made of this material are fragile.
Therefore, in most children’s institutions, plastic toilet cisterns are installed. They come complete with a rubber sealing sleeve.
Three types of plastic containers
Plastic tanks, according to GOST 21485-2016, should be installed at a distance of not less than one meter from the heating devices. They do not break, their cost is lower and the weight is much less than ceramic products.
The height of the location produce three types:
- Wall mounted with individual fastening near the toilet;
- Wall mounted with a high location.
A plastic tank for a floor-mounted toilet bowl is available in accordance with TU 21-26-320-85. This means that it is made of high strength polypropylene or polymethyl methacrylate, often consisting of two layers.
Device and components
The accessories of the plastic tank may vary depending on its location, material, shape and configuration, but the principle of operation does not change. Everyone has a general purpose – to store and drain water.
When considering the mechanism of fluid drainage, two main types can be distinguished: lateral and upper descent. More common are plastic drain tanks with a push-button top trigger. At the same time, they proved to be a tried and tested drain system. The button on them is located in the center of the cover.
Button fittings are usually installed for closed types of plastic devices. At the same time, drain tanks with a side lever or chain are often found.
The device of the plastic tank:
- Plastic tank. A tank with a hole for installing a float on one side and an outlet for draining water at the bottom.
- Float. Always be at the top (according to the law of physics), due to which the drain valve remains closed through the draft.
- Thrust. Older systems typically use a copper rod. By bending it in different directions, the ascent of the float is regulated, which means the water level in the tank. In new systems, plastic rocker arms are used, on which the volume of liquid is regulated by the movement of the float.
- Rubber bulb. It has the appearance of an inverted cone and plays the role of a shut-off valve to hold water in the tank.
- Button. It is usually located in the middle of the lid and actuates the linkage system. Due to this mechanism, the pear is raised and the water is drained.
- Branch pipe. A connector that has threads on one side and a cone socket for a pear on the other. By means of a nut, the pipe is pressed in the hole to the bottom wall of the tank and is an element of the locking mechanism.
- Cap. It is mounted on the plastic casing of the tank, usually with clips. At the top is a hole for the button.
Water Supply Method
Water is supplied to the plastic tank from the side on one side or the other, and in some models the filling of the tank can take place through the opening for supply from below. Moreover, such a connection of the water supply pipe can be both with the placement of a plastic tank directly on the toilet, and with the top location of the tank. The water supply system inside the plastic tank includes:
- Stop valve;
If the method of supplying water is lateral, then the float is connected to the shut-off valve through a rod or rocker, depending on the configuration and model. In the case of the bottom version – the float acts on the valve through a vertical stem.
How to install a plastic tank?
Depending on the design of the toilet bowl and the shape of the bowl, the mounting of the drain tank is selected, while the tanks are distinguished by those that are suspended and plastic tanks installed directly on the toilet flush.
For a separate location, the following algorithm of actions is provided:
- A plastic tank for draining water is pre-set to the required level and applied to the wall, taking into account the length of the drain pipe.
- Marking relative to the mounting holes.
- Holes are drilled, plugs are clogged.
- The plastic tank is fixed by means of coupling bolts through washers of large diameter.
In those cases when the walls are made of material that does not withstand heavy loads, fasteners occur on the brackets.
After installation and connection to the water supply, the connected units are checked for water leakage.
Mounting to the shelf from the toilet:
- Install the drain tank on the toilet shelf and connect them using bolts through special plastic washers. In the case of mounting a plastic container complete with a toilet, a rubber cuff or self-adhesive gasket is provided, which is installed around the drain hole and prevents fluid from leaking.
- Connect the pipe from the shut-off valve to the water pipe using a flexible hose.
- Make sure there are no water leaks, for which you need to draw water into a plastic container and drain the water by pressing the button. Perform the procedure 2-3 times for a greater guarantee.
There are also universal plastic tanks that can be installed in both ways.