How To Start A Stihl Saw
We start the chainsaw according to the instructions
For different chainsaws, starting can be done in different ways. Let’s look at the two most popular mechanisms that are used to start a chainsaw that exist today. Let’s take the Stihl MS 180 and Echo CS-352ES chainsaws as an example. If you have a different brand of chainsaw, then just try to start by analogy, since most likely you have the same or similar mechanism.
Before starting the description of the starting process, I would like to note that for some chainsaws, the instructions say that before starting the chainsaw, you need to turn on the emergency stop brake. Say it’s safer. However, with a fixed brake, starting the chainsaw is more difficult, so it is better to unlock it. If you do everything wisely, then the chainsaw will not do anything to you during startup. If you are afraid that without fixing the brake the chainsaw, when you try to start it, can harm you, then it is better not to take up this tool at all.
So let’s start with the Stihl MS 180.
- The first thing to do before starting this chainsaw is to move the choke adjustment lever to the lower position (Fig. 1). Please note that this lever moves to the very bottom on the chainsaw only if the gas button is pressed. Therefore, we hold down the gas button and move the lever down. Thus, we close the damper in the carburetor and fix the gas in the pressed position at the chainsaw.
Figure: 1 After you have done this, further, to start the chainsaw, begin to pull the starter handle with an energetic movement until you hear that the chainsaw tried to start and immediately stalled. After that, we move the throttle position adjustment lever at the chainsaw one step up (Fig. 2).
- In this position, pull the starter handle again until the chainsaw starts. At the same time, if it turned out to be started, due to the fact that the throttle stick is fixed in the pressed position, it will immediately work at high speeds.
- Then, once press and release the gas button on the chainsaw, the throttle adjustment lever will automatically return to the operating position (Fig. 3), and the speed of the chainsaw will decrease. Now you can work.
- If you need to start a heated chainsaw, then you just need to put the lever in the position, as in fig. 3, and can be wound.
- To stop the engine of the chainsaw, raise the choke adjustment lever to the upper position (Fig. 4).
Now let’s analyze the second second mechanism that allows you to start the chainsaw.
- First, before trying to start, turn on the ignition by moving the toggle switch or the chainsaw switch to the appropriate position (Fig. 5).
Figure: 5 Then press the swap primer several times (Fig. 6). Gasoline will be pumped into it and after that we press it 3-5 more times. If you have a chainsaw without a primer, then go to the next step.
Figure: 6 Now on the chainsaw, pull the throttle position adjustment lever to the end (fig. 7). In some chainsaws, in order to start it, this lever can be pulled out only when the gas button is pressed, while the gas button itself will be fixed in the pressed position. Others do not have to press the gas button. True, in this case, the gas on the chainsaw is fixed automatically or not at all.
- Next, pull the starter handle until the chainsaw makes an attempt to start and stalls. After that, push the throttle position adjustment lever back on the chainsaw until it stops and again pull the starter handle until the chainsaw starts. In some cases, in order to start the chainsaw, the throttle position adjustment lever needs to be pushed only halfway, and it must be fully pushed in after the chainsaw starts.
- Chainsaws with fixed gas have high RPM after starting. Where there is no fixation, the revs are low. In the latter case, due to the low speed of the chainsaw, it usually stalls after working for a short time. In this case, without adjusting anything, we start the chainsaw again and this can be done several times until the chainsaw warms up a little and can already keep the speed and not stall.
- To start a hot chainsaw, you just need to turn on the ignition by moving the corresponding toggle switch, and you can pull the starter handle.
Why the chainsaw won’t start?
If you did everything according to the instructions, and the chainsaw does not start, then something is wrong with it. This may be due to several of the most common reasons: no spark; no fuel is supplied; clogged air filter. So, below we offer a procedure that will help identify the reason why the chainsaw does not start.
How to start a chainsaw
The question of how to start a chainsaw can be divided into two parts:
- Factory according to instructions
- What to do if you can’t start
The information from the first part will be useful to those who have lost the instructions, or those who have little information about the instructions.
The second part will tell you what to do if you did everything correctly according to the instructions, but the chainsaw still won’t start. It will also be useful for those who have a poorly started chainsaw.
Procedure if your chainsaw does not start
The first thing I would like to note is that if your chainsaw does not start, do not turn any screws on the carburetor. If you are not an expert, then you still will not be able to set up something on your own and you will not be able to start the chainsaw.
The next steps necessary to start the chainsaw, perform in the order indicated, starting to do the action under the next number only if the previous one did not help.
- For starters, try just leaving the chainsaw alone for 5-10 minutes. Perhaps during the start-up, a candle flooded with it, this happens. Then try starting again according to the instructions.
- Remove the housing cover on the chainsaw, remove the air filter and try to start without it. If the filter is dirty, it should be washed in soapy water and dried or replaced with a new one.
- Unscrew the spark plug from the chainsaw. Check for a spark. If there is no spark, then try putting in a new candle. If the spark does not appear, then this means that the ignition unit is damaged and the saw needs to be carried for repair. True, visual observation of a spark does not mean that the ignition unit is working properly. If there is a spark, and the chainsaw did not work, do the following steps on the list.
- If there is a spark, but the candle is wet, then turn the chainsaw over to drain excess gas from the cylinder if it has accumulated there. Juggle the starter 10-15 times without the spark plug to ventilate the combustion chamber. Ignite the candle and screw it back, or better, change it to a new one, if available. Try starting again according to the instructions.
- If the candle is dry, draw one or two cubes of gasoline mixture into the syringe and pour it into the cylinder. Try to start the chainsaw, perhaps a small speck has got into the carburetor, which prevents the fuel from entering the combustion chamber. It is quite possible that this speck will be pulled out by the stream formed after starting the chainsaw by adding fuel directly to the cylinder.
- Unscrew the muffler and remove it, being careful not to spoil the gasket between the muffler and the engine. Try starting without muffler and air filter. With the muffler removed from the chainsaw, you can inspect the piston from the inside. If there are burrs or scuffs on the walls of the cylinder or piston, or the ring on the piston is jammed with burrs, then you will have to be very upset, as this means that the piston is damaged or worn out. This usually happens when oil is not added to the fuel mixture. With such a malfunction, you will have to contact the service, and perhaps even think about buying a new chainsaw, since replacing a piston is a rather expensive operation.
Thus, we have sorted out in this article how to start a chainsaw according to the instructions, as well as what to do if the chainsaw does not start. We hope you find these tips helpful.
How to start a Stihl saw
Working with a chainsaw begins directly with its start. And it is at this stage that the most common problem often arises: the launch does not take place. Racking their brains on how to start a Stihl saw, many run to the nearest workshops and talk about its breakdown. And if the saw is new, then they generally try to return it back to the seller. In fact, the reason is not in the malfunction of the saw, but only in its features, which should be taken into account when starting.
If the saw is new, then you should not throw its instructions too far, because it describes important and main actions that cannot be neglected. You can also find other tips there. For example, how to sharpen a saw correctly. The saw must be prepared before starting. For this, special protection is removed from the tire, and oil for the chain and gasoline for the engine are poured into special tanks, which is diluted with two-stroke oil into a kind of gasoline mixture. It is also important to set the chain tension.
On the recommendation of specialists or the same instructions, starting the chainsaw begins with activating the chain brake. Some models are equipped with a decompression valve, therefore it is recommended to press it in order to quickly start the engine of the chainsaw. It is recommended to do the same with the fuel pump, pressing which will significantly reduce the number of pumping. If it is a question of how to sharpen the saw correctly, then it must be in a neutral state, and all the actions described should not be applied to it.
Now the combination lever is set to the cold start state, that is, first you need to activate the throttle lever, and then press the combination lever itself all the way down. When starting, the saw must be placed on a level surface, preferably a hard floor, and the saw blade must not be in contact with the surface. The stability of the chainsaw is ensured by gripping the main handle with the left hand, and with the lower leg. Before choosing a reciprocating saw, it is important that it is equipped with additional handles for safety and ease of use.
Then the starter rope is slowly pulled with the free hand. When resistance is felt, the cable is pulled sharply up several times. At this time, the engine starts, but quickly turns off. This does not mean that it is time to think about how to repair the saw. You just need to move the combined lever to the half-throttle position, that is, one position. The engine is now started using the starter rope. The lever immediately moves to its original position, and a finger briefly presses the gas lever. Now the chainsaw can be slowly raised and started to use carefully, be sure to observe all safety measures.
How to start a Stihl saw
Before using the device, carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions. Different saw models differ in design, technical and functional capabilities and, accordingly, have their own inclusion features.
Let’s answer the question: how to start a Stihl saw, using the example of a general algorithm for working with a unit:
- Filling with fuel It is advisable to fill the fuel mixture immediately before starting work. Attention should be paid to the quality and proportions of fuels and lubricants, since the performance of the equipment and its further condition depend on this.
- It is necessary to push the chain brake forward to activate it.
- Place the machine on a firm surface. The cutting part must not come into contact with the ground, as this can blunt the bar, damage the tool and endanger the health and safety of the saw. Do not start the device on a surface where there are traces of gasoline or oil, this can lead to a fire.
- Remove tire protection.
- Press the decompressor this step is relevant for those models of equipment that are equipped with a decompression valve.
- Pressing the fuel pump is relevant for equipment that has it.
- Move the combination lever to the cold start position.
- Pull the starter cord slowly. And then repeat the action until the characteristic sound of starting the engine, which should immediately turn off.
- Close the choke, move the position control lever up.
- Pull the starter rope again until the mechanism starts.
- Press the throttle lever with your index finger. At this point, the combination lever will move to the normal idle position.
- Raise the instrument slowly by the upper holder.
- Pull the chain brake handle towards you.
When the chainsaw starts, you need to give it a minute to warm up, after which you can start working.
When working with an already warmed-up engine, you need to put the throttle adjustment lever in the working position, and start the unit in the usual way.
To stop the engine of the chainsaw, lift the throttle adjustment lever up.
How to start a Stihl saw?
On summer cottages, in private houses, when working in gardens and backyard territories, it is often necessary to use special equipment, which requires the use of appropriate knowledge and skills on the part of the user.
Stihl chainsaws are a motor-driven garden tool with a wide range of applications: wood harvesting, old tree sawing, seasonal pruning, etc. The equipment of the German company Stihl is known for such technical characteristics as:
- Compactness and high power;
- Special protection and safety system;
- Quality parts and assembly.
The unit belongs to traumatic types of equipment. Before using it, you must read the user manual, follow all safety measures. An important and responsible step is the correct start of the device.
Why the Stihl saw won’t start?
The principle of starting the unit consists of a chain of interconnected processes. If one link of the chain fails or is missing, then this not only adversely affects the operation of the equipment, but can also lead to its breakdown or to problems starting the device.
The operation of the tool involves the following steps:
- Compressed fuel mixture supply. It is needed for the engine to work;
- Spark supply. Required for ignition;
- Startup and operation of the device as a result of previous processes.
If, despite the order of actions described in the instructions, the unit does not start, then one of the processes has been disrupted in one of the chain links.
How to start a Stihl MS 180 saw
The Stihl 180 unit has a conventional starting system, as there are no additional mechanisms installed on the model. Before starting operation, pour a petrol-oil mixture into the fuel tank and fill the oil tank with oil. Recall that the manufacturer recommends using only certified Stihl brand oils for its equipment.
Further algorithm of actions:
- Switch on the ignition, set the control lever to the lowest level.
- Place the tool on a firm surface.
- Pull the starter handle until fuel enters the cylinder. The characteristic sound of the first flash indicates that the fuel has reached the cylinder and the device is ready to start.
- Move the control stick one division up.
- Pull the starter rope again. The mechanism will start to work at increased speed, due to the maximum open throttle.
- Press and release the throttle trigger to set the throttle to idle, which normalizes the speed of the cutting head.
If after the listed actions it was not possible to start the device, then you need to check the inventory for faults.
The reasons why the chainsaw may not start:
- Malfunctions associated with the fuel system: poor fuel quality, lack of fuel mixture supply.
- Clogged main filter elements. A dirty gas filter prevents the supply of fuel to the carburetor of the internal combustion engine, which immediately adversely affects the operation of the equipment. A clogged air filter, in turn, cannot provide a full air supply, without which the engine cannot be started.
- No spark. The reason for this may be a poor quality or damaged spark plug.
- Engine overheating.
Monitor the quality and correct ratio of the proportions of the fuel mixture. The presence of water or a large amount of oil in the fuel can cause malfunction or problems with starting garden tools. The optimal shelf life of the gasoline-oil mixture is 1 month, then coking resinous deposits form in it, which negatively affect the engine performance.
If the saw does not work when you first try to start, you can first stop it for 10 minutes, then try to start the unit again. If a second attempt does not work, you will have to look under the body of the garden machine: check the condition of the filters, inspect the carburetor and spark plug. Dirty filters should be tried to be cleaned, washed in soapy water, then dried. Running filters will have to be replaced. If the spark plug is wet and does not spark, you can try to dry it, but it is advisable to replace it too.
Why the Stihl 180 saw won’t start
The main reasons that can lead to difficulties in starting the tool:
- Lack of spark is a common problem for all types of chainsaws. Without a spark, the process of ignition and ignition is impossible. The first thing to do if you can’t start your Stihl 180 saw is to check the spark plugs. Plugged plugs indicate a lubricating oil leak. During prolonged operation, the connection between the oil tank hose and the pump loses its tightness, which, in turn, can cause leaks. To fix the problem, you need to restore the tightness at the junction, dry or replace the candle. Spark plugs have a limited service life, over time they deplete their resource, they have to be replaced.
- Blockages in the fuel supply system occur during use when air and gas filters become dirty. To check the condition of the filter, what you need to get out and try to blow it. If the air does not pass, then there is a blockage that prevents the fuel supply. Filter cleaning solution. In the same way, you can check if the fuel hose is dirty. You can clean the hose with a wire.
- A ruptured or cracked fuel pump membrane is another reason that prevents the flow of fuel. Replacing the membrane will solve the problem.
- Equipment malfunction is also indicated by irregularities and chips on the cylinder, which usually cause the unit to fade.
- Also, do not forget to periodically lubricate the device chain.
If a visual inspection did not help to find the cause of the malfunction of the Stihl saw, then you need to contact the specialists of the service workshops.
Correct use, timely prevention and periodic maintenance of Stihl garden equipment will extend the service life of the inventory and ensure the safety of the user.