How To Start A Trimmer Stihl
How to start a petrol trimmer Instructions for starting a petrol trimmer for the first time, starting a petrol trimmer with a warm engine and the main mistakes that should not be made when starting a 2-stroke engine.
Fuel mixture and refueling
For the convenience of preparing the fuel mixture, it is better to have a special canister, where one part contains gasoline, and the other contains 2-stroke oil. We recommend getting one like this, it is very convenient to use https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/dlya-benzopil/kanistryi/
Next, take a measuring container with a scale applied to it, with its help you can prepare the mixture as accurately and quickly as possible. Look in the instructions what brand of gasoline and 2-stroke oil https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/masla-i-smazki/ are recommended by the manufacturer of your petrol cutter model. Pour gasoline and oil into a container for preparing a fuel mixture, according to the proportions indicated in the instructions. Then carefully pour the prepared mixture through a funnel into the trimmer fuel tank. The ratio of gasoline to oil should be exactly as indicated in the instructions. This is a very important point!
How to start a petrol trimmer
The process of commissioning petrol cutters, whether you bought it now or got it after winter storage, the rules listed below will allow you to avoid major mistakes that can damage the tool.
Let’s say you just bought a petrol trimmer. Take the instructions out of the box and see if you have all the parts of the brushcutter that are listed. After that you can start building.
Starting a warm engine
It’s very simple. Move the switch to the working position and pull the cord before starting. If you do everything according to the instructions, then there should be no problems with starting a serviceable petrol cutter.
Starting petrol cutters with a cold engine
To start the brushcutter for the first time, locate the choke lever and place it in the closed position. Turn on the ignition on the handle. If your model has a manual fuel pump, popularly called suction, then press it 3-5 times until you see the fuel mixture inside the primer. The tool is now ready to run. Place the trimmer on a flat surface to ensure a stable position. Pull the starter rope gently until you feel its resistance, and then pull the rope towards you with a sharp movement 3-5 times.
If the engine starts after 5 jerks, open the choke. If this does not happen, open the air damper anyway (if the damper is open and you continue trying to start the engine, the fuel will flood the candle and you will have to dry it, and this is a waste of time).
If the engine does not start when the throttle is open, close it and continue pulling the cord. The first launch can be quite difficult and require up to 15 jerks. After the engine has started to work, press the throttle lever once, so you engage idle. Now let the engine run and warm up. After that it can be stopped by clicking on the “Stop” button.
Basic startup errors
Let’s list the main mistakes that beginners make when starting a gasoline trimmer:
- Starting the engine with the ignition off;
- Starting with a closed damper with the number of jerks more than 5 times;
- Improperly formulated fuel mixture.
We start Stihl MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the Stihl 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
What happens when the primer is pumped up, and how does it help to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumps fuel into the carburetor.
The pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such comments can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long downtime.
The fact is that it is necessary to take care of a successful start after downtime and properly prepare the saw for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1 2 ml of fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw
All Stihl chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, which allows you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may be slightly different.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
We start Stihl 180
In order to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the Stihl 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the Stihl 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the choke valve opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull the starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher revs because the throttle is open as much as possible. To set the damper to idle, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, does not have any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start a Stihl 180. It reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s comments allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
We start Stihl MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the Stihl MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold one.
The instruction for starting this model of the Stihl chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting Stihl 180 and follows the same algorithm.
How to thread the line into the Stihl trimmer spool
The trimmer is one of the most common tools with which you can quickly and easily cut grass, small shrubs, lawn grass and other weeds. It’s not a secret for anyone that in order for the mowing of grass to be successful, it is necessary to use the tool correctly and correctly handle the individual cutting elements.
In trimmers, it doesn’t matter what fuel they run on, special cutting attachments (knives, discs) are used, and some trimmers are supplied to the market in the heads of which such a cutting element as a fishing line is installed, and therefore many are wondering how to fill the line into the Stihl trimmer coil if there are no skills as such.
- Cutting attachments in the form of knives can be sharpened, but the fishing line (also cutting elements), but tends to be consumed. Below we will talk about how to properly thread the line into the Stihl trimmer spool.
A couple of tips
If the line was wound correctly by you, then when you press the bobbin button, the cutting element should be automatically pulled out. The line for your mowing device is one of the most important elements, without which the trimmer can lose all its functionality. You can say that the line (cutting element) is the heart of your mower. Therefore, when buying a fishing line, pay attention to its quality first. When purchasing a fishing line of this or that company, be sure to compare it with the quality of the old fishing line.
Preparing the trimmer spool for winding
Initially, as a rule, the coil is installed to the head of the device itself. The coil consists of two parts: a cover and a spring.
- Whatever company you have a trimmer, the preparation steps are the same for all types. Disassemble the device, or rather remove the coil from the trimmer head. To do this, press the latches located on the sides of the head body until it stops, and turn the head clockwise.
- To open the mowing head without problems, press the side latches; if you cannot do this with your hands, use a flat screwdriver to help. We take out the coil from the head.
- In order to choose the right line for your equipment, on the inside of the reel, numbers must be applied, which indicate the thickness and type of acceptable line. All designations are indicated, as a rule, in millimeters.
- If you did not find any numbers, then the maximum allowable line diameter can be determined by the through hole for inserting the line. The line must run smoothly back and forth.
The process of winding the line on a reel
- After all the preparatory steps, we need to correctly determine how exactly the fishing line will be washed on your device, by turning the lid or in the opposite direction.
- We measure out about 7 mm of cutting material and insert it into the hole of the bobbin with one end. It is worth noting that the line is wound exactly on the style mower model from both sides. The direction of winding the line in such models is indicated on the bobbin itself.
- The line is brought out to about 17 cm freely so that the ends can cut off the weeds. We add that it is not worth winding the line on a reel of great length. Leave about 5 mm from the line to the edge of the bobbin.
- The two ends of the line are inserted into the holes in the bobbin. Both of these ends must be securely attached to the device body.
- The springs removed from the coil (if any) are inserted in the same way as they were removed, i.E. Into the bobbin and the head body itself.
- To determine if you have correctly inserted the line into the trimmer, you need the element itself (bobbin) to be easily inserted into the head body of your device. If necessary, pull the free ends of the line outward. To achieve this, you need to pull the line out of the groove with a sharp movement through the holes in the bobbin.
So, let’s say you figured out how quickly, and most importantly, to correctly wind the line on the Stihl trimmer reel. All you have to do is insert everything correctly into the grooves and fix the main cover on the device. Then you can press on the bobbin itself and make counterclockwise movements until you feel the stop. If you do not feel the emphasis, then most likely you have not tucked the line correctly and you will have to start everything from scratch.
What can be used instead of fishing line
- If, instead of a special cutting element, say a fishing line, you install a metal cable, then your trimmer can turn into a real dangerous weapon not only for you and your eyes, but also for all the people around you. This is due to the fact that during the trimmer operation, the steel cable will constantly work, which will lead to entanglement, and small pieces of it can scatter on all sides with great speed.
- The same can happen if you use copper wire instead of a steel cable, but in this case the pieces of separation from the copper wire will be slightly larger and may cause you even more injury. And if God forbid, accidentally catch such a cutting element on the leg, then after that a deep cut in soft tissues is 100% guaranteed, and in some cases, all this can lead to amputation of small limbs (fingers) of the legs and even hands. Therefore, our advice to you, do not use any other cutting elements, except for the fishing line, for your own safety and those around you.
About the manufacturer Stihl
The history of this German brand dates back to 1926. At the initial stages of its development, the company was engaged in the production and sale of various components for washing and steam machines. It all started, like many companies, with a small production and narrow focus, which made it possible to focus on the quality of products.
To date, the company has expanded its activities in more than 160 countries around the world, opening new centers and production offices in Switzerland, China and many other countries. This is understandable, because the range of the company is impressive: motor-drills, gasoline sprayers, mowers, gasoline trimmers, chainsaws and much more. I would like to note that Shtil chainsaws are very popular due to their functionality and reasonable price.
DIY Stihl trimmer repair and operating instructions FS-38 and 55 (Stihl FS), carburetor adjustment
It is inherent in man to ennoble the place in which he spends the lion’s share of his time. Residents of cities resort to the services of designers, or they themselves try to change something in their home, buy new furniture, wallpaper, so that when they come home after a hard day, they can mentally rest and relax in a favorable environment. Residents of their own homes outside the city have completely different concerns and requirements. It is necessary to mow shrubs, grass, various dead wood in a timely manner, carefully monitor the condition of the personal plot and garden. It is clear that this requires slightly different means of achieving comfort. And here the new brainchild of Stihl mower engineering comes to the fore.
Recommendations for use
It is necessary to take temporary breaks from work. This is necessary so that the engine of the device does not overheat and fail prematurely. For amateur models, there is a break every 20 minutes for the same time. For professional mowers, work should be interrupted every 50 minutes, in which case the downtime should be at least 10 minutes.
Stihl FS 70 mower price
She is over an improved model with higher power and multitasking. An anti-vibration system is provided to significantly reduce the impact of a running engine on the handle.
FS 70 features:
- Engine power 1.2 hp;
- Engine displacement 27.2 cm3;
- Tank volume 0.34 l;
- Two-stroke engine type;
- The bar is straight;
- T-shaped handle;
- Complete set belt, reel with fishing line;
- Line diameter 2.4 mm;
- Weight 5.4 kg.
Petrol lawn mower FS 38
The model is distinguished, first of all, by its simplicity and compactness, which is quite enough for proper maintenance of the local area. The main control keys are located on the handle of the device, which greatly facilitates and speeds up the work.
- Engine power 0.9 hp;
- Engine displacement 27.2 cm3;
- Tank volume 0.33 l;
- Two-stroke engine type;
- The bar is straight;
- D-shaped handle;
- Complete set 2-gear grass trimmer blade, goggles for protection, belt;
- Weight 4.1 kg.
This model is one of the most popular on the market! You will find out about all the units that are included in the rating of the best gas mowers here.
The model belongs to professional models, so the goals set for it will be slightly higher. It is designed for cutting rough grass, tough shrubs and young trees.
It has a state-of-the-art, high-power engine that does not emit a lot of harmful emissions.
- Engine power 1.9 hp;
- Engine volume 36.3 cm3;
- Tank volume 0.53 l;
- The bar is straight;
- T-shaped handle;
- Complete set shoulder strap, two-blade knife;
- Line diameter 2.4 mm;
- Weight 5.9 kg.
The range of prices for these models does not mean any difference in quality, first of all, every Stihl mower is designed for a specific job.
It is quite clear that there is no point in purchasing a more expensive and powerful model if you have a small plot or lawn in front of the house. Simpler models will do just fine with this task, but the word “simplicity” is not used here in a derogatory manner. Powerful mowers are designed to handle large areas with overgrown and dense surfaces, hence the price difference. If you are confused in such a variety of tools, then do not be upset, but feel free to click here and we will tell you how to choose a lawn mower for a summer residence.
However, whichever model you choose, you need to follow certain operating rules recommended by the manufacturer in order to avoid possible damage.