How to Wind a Spring on a Champion Lawn Mower Starter
In the design of the chainsaw, the starter is responsible for the proper starting of the tool engine. Over time, owners of chainsaws are faced with the need to repair this important component. And, the earlier it is possible to eliminate the malfunction, the less other important parts and mechanisms of the tool will succumb to wear.
The device and principle of operation of the chainsaw starter
Most well-known chainsaw manufacturers equip their products with starters that work on almost the same principle. Its essence is as follows: in the groove of the saw body there is a handle through which a cord is passed. With a sharp lifting of the handle, the cord is also pulled, which engages the drum, which is in the ratchet mechanism. By means of this, a drum with spitz, which is located on the shaft, is driven. During this, the crankshaft makes a couple of revolutions, which leads to compression of the fuel mixture, which at this moment is between the cylinder head and the piston. When lowering the handle, on the contrary, the ratchet and spitz lose their contact, which leads to a shaft stop.
With an increase in the power of the chainsaw, the amount of the fuel mixture increases, which must be ignited when the chainsaw is started. In this case, to start the engine, it is necessary to increase the number of jerks of the starter cord. To accelerate the return of the drum mechanism, manufacturers use a special steel recoil starter spring with excellent elasticity. To facilitate the launch of the chainsaw, leading brands use other methods:
- Pre-enrichment of the fuel mixture with a separate shutter;
- Installation of an automatic decompression valve, which provides a decrease in pressure inside the cylinder of the chainsaw;
- Installation of a primer designed for pumping fuel before starting the engine.
The use of one of these technologies greatly facilitates the launch and extends the life of the starter, which is especially noticeable at low temperatures.
Video: How to Wind a Spring on a Champion Lawn Mower Starter
Typical breaks and repair of a chainsaw starter
The appearance of various malfunctions of the starter leads to the inability to start a chainsaw. The most common starter breakdowns include:
- The starter pulley has completely burst, or cracks have appeared on it;
- The spring burst;
- The starter cable broke.
Do-it-yourself tools will be required to fix each of these malfunctions. You must have a set of screwdrivers and a spare cable with you. Remove and inspect the starter for the chainsaw in the following order:
- To find the cause of the breakdown, the starter from the chainsaw will need to be removed. To do this, unscrew the screws with which the protective cover is held with the starter attached to it;
- After removing the cover, you must carefully unscrew the screw through which the starter is attached to the protective cover;
- Then you need to try to smoothly start the starter. for this, remove the spring and clips from it;
- Further, a coil with a cable is removed from the starter for inspection.
As a result of inspection, you can find a number of typical malfunctions. These include:
- Various pulley damage in the form of tears or cracks mainly in the rear of the part. they interfere with the normal operation of the entire starter;
- Damage to the starter spring of a light start. in such cases, not only the spring itself can be faulty, but also the place of its fixation. this is the most vulnerable part of the spring;
- The starter flywheel dog is damaged.
In any case, any defective part must be completely replaced with a new spare part.
How to replace the chainsaw starter spring?
In order to replace the old spring in the disassembled starter, proceed in the following order:
- Before installing the chainsaw starter spring, you will need to remove the clip of the mechanism. this should be done very carefully so as not to break the part;
- Then you need to look inside the cage. in it you will see a spring wrapped around a C-shaped element. To pull out the spring, fix the upper part with your finger and slightly pull the starter handle to the side;
- After removing the old spring, wrap a new part. At the same time, try to avoid kinks and twisting of the new spring element;
- To assemble the spring of the starter of the chainsaw, you will need to act as carefully as possible, otherwise one incorrect movement can lead to unwinding of the spare part;
- After you have managed to fully insert the spring into the starter, you must carefully lock the clip.