How To Work With A Trimmer
Country notes Safety when working with a grass trimmer. How to properly mow lawns, slopes, tall grass with a trimmer. We clean and store petrol and
Preparing the trimmer for work
Preparing the trimmer for work begins with checking the condition of all parts and assembly according to the instructions. In doing so, you need to make sure that the gearbox is lubricated and that there is enough oil in the crankcase of the four-stroke petrol trimmer. The fuel, depending on the type of engine, two- or four-stroke, is a mixture of gasoline with a special oil in a ratio of 4050: 1 or, respectively, pure gasoline. After the fuel tank is full, all that remains is to open the tap and you can try to start the trimmer, remembering that before you start mowing, you need it to idle for 23 minutes.
With an electric cordless tool, everything is simple after checking for the presence of lubricant, just insert a charged battery into the corresponding slot so that it is ready for use. If the tool is powered from the mains, then an extension cord will be required to the intended place of cutting. The wire must be located outside the range of possible action of the trimmer knives.
The site should be free of foreign objects as much as possible: glass, stones, wire, snags, etc. The presence of people closer than 15 meters is also undesirable. Depending on the capabilities of the particular trimmer and the work to be done, the appropriate cutting attachment must be selected. You can use a mowing head with a grass line, metal knives for weeds or hay, or a bush saw. The mowing should be planned in such a way as to move away from buildings and people.
The slope is also processed according to the principle of mowed grass to the left, choosing a direction so that its top is on the right. Having reached the end of the section, they return to the starting point, rise higher by the width of the stroke and mow the next strip.
Trees and shrubs
On an area where there are many such obstacles, the trimmer is simply irreplaceable, since it is not enough to cut the grass with an ordinary scythe, and the lawn mower is too large. For this, a fishing line is best suited. Before starting to process the site, it is required to mow each tree or bush from all sides. In order not to damage them, you need to hold the trimmer with the protective cover almost close to them, slightly tilting the head to the ground and bypassing from left to right.
Grass trimmer: why and how to use it correctly
Working with a trimmer is quite simpler than an ordinary scythe. But everywhere has its own specifics, therefore, before mastering a new technique, you should do what many leave for later to carefully read the instructions. This is already enough to roughly understand how to use the trimmer, fill it with fuel, figure out how to charge its battery or connect it to the mains.
In this case, it is more convenient to mow in both directions. The first pass from left to right, shearing off the tops of the grass, and then, lowering the tool to the desired level, in the opposite motion shears off the lower part. The cut grass also remains on the treated surface on the left side. If the thickets of weeds are too high, then in order to reduce the likelihood of winding the grass on the drum, you have to mow several times from top to bottom, but this is fraught with increased line consumption.
We carry out the correct mowing in both cases
The device should move correctly in front of you and strictly from right to left, because the grass you mowed will surely fall onto an already mown area, which will give you the opportunity to initially mow the tops of the grass. Then you carry out a reverse motion, due to which you will remove any remaining branches of the grass.
- When working with large areas of the lawn, it is best to divide the work into several stages, visually dividing the territory into squares. In the process of mowing the grass, you should move along the outside, which will make it possible once again not to trample the grass at the same time, without complicating the mowing procedure for yourself. To make it easier to work, it is best to move from below, walking parallel to the already treated area, and then come back.
With this approach, you can easily use the line trimmer to mow the grass around the trees planted on the site, carefully bypassing them, and at the same time not loading the devices. By mowing the grass in the way we recommend above, you can reduce the likelihood of the grass scattering to the sides, making it faster and easier to cut.
How to properly mow with a line trimmer
Mowing with a line mower is much safer than a trimmer equipped with a cord, but this is not always optimal and profitable. The cutting main element (mechanism) must be selected based on the garden area and the height of the weed.
- Previously, we looked at how to mow with a line lawnmower in automatic or semi-automatic mode and manual. In automatic mode, the main cutting element (line) is thrown out after each start of the device motor. On the one hand, this is very convenient, but on the other hand, it is not very economical, for example, your garden plot of a non-standard shape has uneven corners, notches, and with each next transition from place to place, you need to turn off the device and then turn it on again. In this case, it is best to use the second, semi-automatic option. This is when the line is fed in the trimmer by pressing a special button located at the very bottom of the drum (in the cutting area). You just need to press the tip to the ground and the line will be thrown out.
If you are an operator, you should understand that the length of the ends of the cutting element (line), which is located on the drum in an extended (working) state, should not exceed 15 cm. This length should be sufficient for the average power of the grass trimmers.
What you need to do to properly, easily and quickly mow the grass with a trimmer with a line in order for the device itself to serve you much longer than usual.
- Try to keep the main drum (spool) at least 5 cm off the ground.
- When mowing taller grass, mow the top first, and then get close to the stalks to protect your device from damage and prevent mower failure.
- In the process of mowing grass, it is imperative to introduce the cutting element (trimmer) in which the reel rotates in the direction.
- It is best to mow the lawn grass, which is located near the walls of the garden area as a decoration, using only the edges of the line so as not to overload the engine and not wear it out too much.
- Every 15-20 minutes worked, let the device rest.
How to cut tall grass with a line trimmer
It is advisable to cut tall grass in your garden with a powerful trimmer using thick fishing line. But many, most likely, will agree that in most cases, where the weeds are located, the ground will certainly be uneven, as a result of which the owners of such garden plots have different debris and all kinds of stones. To prevent your expensive device (trimmer) from breaking down the mow of tall grass, it is best and faster to mow in two passes. Those. The first step is to cut the entire top of the grass, identify the more difficult mowing areas and run the mower a second time.
When you are going to harvest the grass (using a trimmer) for hay, and you are more or less versed in the area of your plot, then you can predict the course of the mowing of the grass in advance, so it will be faster, more convenient and easier for you. The main thing in such a situation is not to rush to mow, but to approach business competently with a cool head.
How to properly cut grass with a line trimmer
Any owner of a country house or suburban area knows that in summer and spring time it is necessary to constantly look after the lawn, otherwise it will lose its external, attractive appearance. Therefore, many dacha owners are wondering how to properly mow the grass with a trimmer with a fishing line. And before you start learning how to mow, you need to choose the right tool for the site and only then use it correctly on the lawn.
- Controlling the trimmer, as it may seem to many, is not an easy task, but also nothing special (there is nothing complicated in it) if you properly follow the safety measures and know how to operate it correctly, rather than a garden tool, the cutter of which is a metal disc.
Here are some tips for cutting tall grass:
- Try not to overload the mechanism during the bevelling process.
- If tall grass gets tangled on the line, turn off the mechanism immediately so that the motor does not burn out.
- If your trimmer runs on gasoline, cutting wet grass is strictly prohibited.
Depending on what kind of trimmer you have, you still need to prepare it before starting work. If the trimmer is electric, we need to charge it, or turn it on to the 220 Volt network and start working like that. If you are using the grass trimmer with gasoline fuel, fill the tank. Prepare and check the cutting element, depending on the design. It won’t be superfluous to check the safety of the trimmer. When working with the device, it must be hung on the body and hold onto the handles correctly. Use protective goggles or a special mesh (protective) helmet during beveling.
How to properly operate an electric grass trimmer
When choosing equipment for a summer cottage, it is not always worth chasing powerful and dimensional devices. The power of the tool is undoubtedly an important parameter, but it obviously carries with it the increased weight of the device, its large dimensions, as well as the high price and increased fuel costs. But that’s not the point.
If you have a small garden in which fruit trees are densely planted or a small lawn with flower beds and shrubs, then clearing it of weeds and carefully mowing the grass is clearly an overwhelming task for any lawn mower. In such cases, even a hand tool, an ordinary braid, will not help: you simply cannot swing it, bumping into tree trunks.
The ideal solution is a good and inexpensive electric trimmer. It is so light, comfortable and easy to operate that it always becomes a favorite of women and the elderly. A lightweight, quietly humming electric motor, a handle with comfortable grips and a nylon line tucked into a spool are the main components of an electric trimmer.
Electric trimmer efficiency
Electric kos, which operates from a household electrical network, is relevant on a plot of four to six acres planted with trees, flowers, shrubs. It is convenient for it to carefully mow grass near the house or along the curb, mow paths, and an environmentally friendly motor that does not produce exhaust, gas and fumes will even make it possible to remove weeds in any indoor room. Greenhouse or greenhouse.
The trimmer cable limits the cutting radius, but can be extended with a standard extension. If this length is not enough for you, or the parameters of the electrical network do not contribute to the normal operation of the electric motor, then you can purchase a type of electric tool, a cordless trimmer. It works autonomously, the built-in battery lasts for half an hour or an hour of intensive work is enough to mow the trees in the garden. The trimmer motor can be positioned at the top of the tool or at the bottom. Upper motor trimmers work well on bumpy and uneven terrain. They are also perfectly balanced and can work with tall and wet grass, short circuits will not occur. The convenience of working with it is also increased by a single-shoulder loop, which is hung on the shoulder. The lower motor trimmer should only be used on dry grass and on level areas. Often it is the lower motor trimmers that run on a rechargeable battery.
How to use the trimmer correctly
The household trimmer is the easiest to use and at the same time very effective tool. There seems to be nowhere easier to plug the tool in and work. But still, there are some nuances that you need to know in order for the trimmer to work for a long time and efficiently.
1. Site preparation. It is necessary to carefully inspect the mowing area and remove all foreign objects such as stones, glass, wire, etc. Having flown out suddenly from under the fishing line during operation, such an object is capable of causing injury.
2. Installation of the cutting system. There are low-power trimmers that can only work with a fishing line, cutting soft and juicy grass; they do not need to install a cutting system. But some trimmer models with a motor of 1 kW or more can work with a knife. If there are tough weeds or even a small overgrowth of bushes on the site, you need to unscrew the working attachment nut and install the cutting knife. Then tighten the nut tightly with a wrench.
3. Before starting work. It is very important to wear protective goggles when working with the trimmer, because even if you have removed the area from debris, plant stems and grass can fly into your eyes. The same stems, grass and branches can injure hands, so it is advisable to wear gloves. We simply plug in the electric trimmer, but the battery trimmer needs to be charged for several hours before use. Then, if there is a shoulder mount, we hang it on the shoulder, knapsack on both shoulders. We conveniently grasp the trimmer by the handles: grasp the D-shaped handle tightly with your palm, and grip the garden trimmer with a bicycle handle (U-shaped) firmly with both hands. The trimmer should be held over the grass so that the line spool or knife is parallel to the ground. We turn on the start.
4. How to mow correctly. The cutting mechanism rotates counterclockwise. Thus, in order for the cut grass to fall onto the already mown area, easily, with simple movements, we carry the trimmer in front of us, from right to left. To remove the remnants of the grass, make a movement in the other direction from left to right. If the area is flat and large, break it into imaginary squares and mow, moving along the outside of such a square. If the plot is on a slope, then you need to start mowing from the bottom of the lawn, passing across the plot in one direction. Having reached the edge, you need to go back and mow in the same direction, parallel. If there are many trees in the area, only cut with fishing line, otherwise you may cut the tree trunk with a knife. In such a garden, it is best to mow around the perimeter, bypassing the tree in a circle.
Five. Completion of work. Turn off the engine and remove the shoulder straps. It is not yet complete completion. It is necessary to carefully clean the spool and knife from the remains of grass. Then fold the trimmer, if telescopic or collapsible, and hide it until the next mow.
The line also has its secrets
The line is wound on a spool inside the spool, with the ends exposed outward. When mowing, the spool rotates, and the line, with this rotation, cuts the grass. To release the tips, you need to lightly hit the coil on the ground (semi-automatic system), there are automatic reels, in which the fishing line is released itself. There are also several rules when working with fishing line:
In order not to damage the line and reel. Try not to touch the spool and line with various hard materials of tracks, curbs, fences. This will shorten the line prematurely, damage the reel or even jam the engine. The line spool should also not touch the ground.
Cut with the tips more effectively. Mowing the full length of the line can overload the engine. It also reduces the mowing efficiency. The tool should be held so that it only mows with the tips of the line. To do this, tilt it forward towards the mowing side.
Tall grass requires several mows. If the grass is taller than 20 centimeters, then one mowing will not do here. You need to mow two or three times, from top to bottom. This is to prevent the grass from wrapping around the reel. The wound grass is the guaranteed overheating of the engine. If the grass is still wrapped, you need to stop the tool and clean it.
The line ran away and hid in the reel. This option happens when you work if you did not release the line from the reel in time. After all, the line is erased and shortened during mowing. If you do not have time to release it, then stop the engine, unplug the tool, and then disassemble the spool and pass the ends of the line into the desired holes.
What determines line consumption? Remember that the line wears out faster if the grass is tough. Therefore, you need to release it more often when mowing weeds and dry tough grass. Around the foundation of the house, near the wall and the curb, the line consumption will also be greater than directly on the lawn or near the trees. It is worth considering: if you work carefully and accurately, then the consumption of the trimmer line will be optimal and economical.
Before starting operation, be sure to run in gasoline mowers. The operator turns on the engine, it should run for a while at idle speed. It is necessary to ensure that the engine does not overheat, there should be no load.
When running in brushcutters, the load is gradually increased. If you start working at high rpm, the motor will not run in well, this will affect the further operation of the mower.
When you start it for the first time, you should not completely use up the temporary resource. After the engine runs at idle speed, you can proceed to treating the lawn. The brushcutter should work no more than 15 minutes, after that the motor is turned off, it should cool down.
If you need to run in the electric trimmer, the braid is first assembled. Then do test runs at least 3-5 times. If the engine is running well, proceed to mowing. At first, they work no more than 5 minutes, then the duration of work is gradually increased.
How to use the trimmer correctly
Garden trimmers are effective. Newbies think it’s easy to operate a lawnmower by plugging it in or pouring fuel, but that’s not entirely true.
The efficiency of the garden tool and its service life directly depend on the operating conditions. Therefore, before using the trimmer, you need to do some preparatory work.
The lawn from which you need to mow the grass is carefully examined. Glass and large stones must be removed. If they fly out from under a running mower, they can injure a person. Wire is removed from the lawn, because it can wrap around the rotating element and break the mower.
After that, proceed to the installation of the cutting system. There are low power trimmers on the market that only use line. It is designed for cutting juicy and soft grass. But there are models with a capacity of more than 1 kilowatt, on which metal knives are installed. They cut off sow thistle and other hard weeds, trim young shrubs.
In order to replace the cord with knives, you need to unscrew the fastening nut, install the cutting element. Then the nut must be returned to its place, tightened with a wrench.
The operator must take care of his own safety. Mow the grass in heavy protective clothing. Special goggles are used to protect the eyes; they will protect against dust, grass and flying debris. Hands are covered with gloves.
The electric trimmer is plugged into the network, and battery models are charged for several hours before use. The petrol mower is filled with fuel.
Hold the mower with the spool or knife parallel to the ground. When the tool is in the correct position, turn on the motor. Turn off the mower after the grass has been cut.
How to put on a belt
If the tool has a shoulder mount, hang it on the shoulder before starting work. The trimmer is fixed on both shoulders if it has a knapsack mount.
The bicycle handle model is held with 2 hands, the D-shaped handle is wrapped around the palm. The belt must be worn so that it is comfortable, then the back will not get tired.
Before the first start, the operator assembles the mower, the procedure is described in the instructions that come with the product.
If the trimmer is gasoline, it must be checked before use. The fuel tank is filled up to the neck.
The motor must run in to fuel, so the first time it is started, it must run for a few minutes without load. Then start mowing the grass.
How to cut your lawn to keep it smooth
In order for the lawn to be cut evenly, the mower should be lowered as low as possible during operation. The plot must be divided into squares. You need to work moving clockwise. In this case, the hay will always lie on the left without getting in the way.
Wet Weather Operation
Electric mowers must not be used in the rain, there may be a short circuit. When the precipitation stops, you must wait until the grass dries up.
Not all gasoline mowers are protected against moisture, so some manufacturers prohibit the operation of mowers in the rain.