Remove Paint From Wood Angle Grinder
Removing paint from a wooden coating and not damaging it is not an easy task, but you can cope with it if you know some of the features of the work.
There are several methods to achieve the goal. Paint is removed mechanically, thermally and chemically, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages.
You can learn about how to remove old paint from a tree at home from this article.
How to prepare for the upcoming work?
It is not right to immediately start peeling paint off a tree. First you need to prepare. Depending on the selected cleaning method, The following tools and accessories may be required:
- personal protective equipment: glasses, gloves, mask, respirator;
- spatula, sandpaper;
- building hair dryer;
- drill or angle grinder;
- grinding machine and nozzles;
When all the tools are assembled, you need to think about the following points:
- Work location. If a chemical cleaning method is proposed, it is best to do this outdoors or in a room with good ventilation.
- Protection of surrounding objects and surfaces. They need to be covered with unnecessary matter or plastic wrap.
- Accessibility. If there is such a need, then the object to be cleaned must be moved in advance.
- Paint Thickness. If the layer is thin, then a new paint can be applied directly to it, without preliminary cleaning. Thick coating is best removed. The preferred method is mechanical cleaning.
- Coating duration. An old coat of wood is easy to peel off, so you should not leave it. Otherwise, the new coating will lie unevenly and peel off.
How and how to remove from a wooden surface?
There are 3 ways to remove paint from a tree:
- Mechanical method. It involves cleaning with a tool, such as an angle grinder or a spatula.
- Chemical. Special solvents are used to remove the composition.
- Thermal. This method involves heating the paint, after which it can be easily removed.
In order not to damage the product and not cause harm to health during the work, you must follow the algorithm of actions that exists for each method of cleaning.
You can find out how to remove old paint from a wooden floor here, from wooden doors. here.
How to clean mechanically?
A mechanical cleaning method is the most affordable but time consuming. It is implemented using various tools.
Removing the paintwork with sandpaper:
- prepare several sheets of sandpaper with large and small abrasive;
- sand the top layer with rough abrasive material;
- Remove paint residues with fine abrasive paper.
When it comes to processing an impressive surface size, it is more rational to use an angle grinder.
Features of its application:
- Purchase an emery blade. To work, you will need several nozzles at once, since they will be clogged with paint particles and sawdust.
- Connect the device to the network and systematically process the surface of the tree.
- You must hold the angle grinder parallel to the product, with a little pressure.
If small areas of paint remain after cleaning, they are cleaned by hand, using sandpaper or a hard metal brush.
To remove the coloring composition mechanically, you can use a drill, grinder and spatula.
The advantages of mechanical cleaning:
- gentle processing of the product;
- the ability to control the applied force;
- lack of smell;
- low cost of consumables.
How to quickly clean with chemicals?
To remove paint, you can use chemical washes. It is best to purchase wood products.
General instructions for use:
- Remove all dust and dirt from the surface.
- Apply solvent to the product that needs to be cleaned. This is most conveniently done with a paint brush or roller.
- Leave for exposure. The time will vary, depending on the selected composition. Most often, 20-30 minutes is enough.
- Remove softened paint with a spatula.
- Wash off any remaining product with clean water.
Видео: Remove Paint From Wood Angle Grinder
If the composition could not be removed the first time, then the procedure must be repeated.
Washes that can be used to remove paint from a wooden surface:
- Docker wood: remover for paint from wood. The cost of 5 liters of gel is 2700 rubles. This composition effectively removes any paints and varnishes and does not harm wood. The gel works quickly, after 10 minutes you can start cleaning. The product is consumed very economically, its layer should not exceed 1-2 mm.
- Syntrol: washing off paint from wood. The cost of 1 kg of funds is 740 rubles. This amount is enough to process 5 square meters. m. Washing is quick in action. You can begin to remove the paint 5-12 minutes after application.
- Washing Novbytkhim. The cost of 0.5 liter is 115 rubles. This is a universal tool that can be used for working with wood. Its duration is 20-30 minutes.
- there is no need to apply significant physical effort;
- uneven surfaces and hard to reach places can be treated;
- high speed of work.
The disadvantages of the method include financial costs and the release of toxic fumes into the air.
How to make a do-it-yourself cleaner?
You can prepare a cleaner yourself.
The recipe for the simplest composition:
- 2 parts ammonia;
- 1 part turpentine;
- two components are mixed with each other and applied to the paint.
The remedy will begin to act in 20 minutes. The paint will foam and exfoliate. If the layer is thick, then the exposure time is increased to 40 minutes.
Another recipe for home wash, which is suitable for processing wooden surfaces:
- a piece of chalk;
- caustic soda;
- oatmeal to make it thick.
You can use a construction hairdryer to remove paint. Hot air comes out of it, under the influence of which the composition softens and can be cleaned with a spatula.
Mode of application:
- Connect the device to the network.
- Direct the hair dryer to the surface that needs to be treated.
- Wait for the paint to soften.
- Scrub it off with a spatula.
- Work out the entire product systematically.
In addition to the hairdryer, you can use an iron and foil, through which the paint is heated and cleaned with a spatula. This method can only be used if a small surface area needs cleaning.
Both paint and wood can catch fire, so use electrical appliances carefully. At hand should be water, with which you can extinguish the beginning of a fire.
Which option to give preference?
Giving preference to a particular cleaning method, you need to start from a specific task, which is facing a person, namely:
- If the surface needs high-quality processing, then 2 methods are combined: first, the object is worked out with a professional solvent, and then the areas are cleaned manually.
- If it is necessary to save money, then cleaning is carried out using sandpaper or using foil and iron.
- When safety comes to the fore, dry cleaning is chosen.
Features for different types of dyes
Depending on the type of dye, methods for its removal will vary:
- oil compounds are well cleaned with a spatula or angle grinder;
- water based paints are solvent resistant;
- acrylic paint can be cleaned mechanically or chemically;
- powder paints are washed off with a powerful jet of water, for example, from a high pressure washer;
- hair dye that has fallen on a wooden surface can be washed off with an alcohol solution.
Several layers of different paints are most efficiently removed by the thermal method.
The most common mistakes
The most common mistakes people make when trying to remove paint from wooden surfaces:
- Application of chemicals immediately to the entire area. If the composition is used for the first time, then first you need to process a small area.
- Cleaning the wood with too stiff brushes or rough abrasive tips. They can lead to the destruction of the breed.
- Long exposure of washes and solvents on a wooden surface. Even the most expensive and effective washes can damage the product. Therefore, leaving them longer than 1-2 hours is not recommended.
- Overheating of the surface, when trying to remove the paint by the thermal method. This situation is fire hazard.
- The use of plastic containers when working with washes. Aggressive formulations can lead to spoilage.
To make the process of removing paint from wood efficient and safe, The following recommendations must be observed:
- Do not press on the surface of the product with great force. This is true for the mechanical cleaning method.
- Always use personal protective equipment.
- Protect floors and surrounding objects with plastic wrap.
- Do not heat the wall in the area of wiring and electrical appliances.
- After applying the wash, the surface must be washed with clean water.
- If aggressive substances get on the skin or on the mucous membranes, immediately rinse them with plenty of water.
Following these recommendations, you can qualitatively clean any surface from paint.
A few basic ways to remove old paint from wooden surfaces in a video:
It is not difficult to remove the paint composition from wooden surfaces if you correctly approach the solution of the issue. Choosing the best method and observing safety rules, you can quickly and inexpensively cope with the task.
Be sure to take into account the type of paint, the thickness of the applied layer and the time that it is planned to devote to the upcoming work.