Trimmer Rotates Idling
Caring for a personal plot, summer residents periodically encounter the fact that the lawn mowing does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. For the correct diagnosis of the problem, the owner of the unit useful at the cottage needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
- Where to start diagnosing lawn mowers
- Checking the fuel mixture
- We diagnose a candle and a candle channel
- Diagnostics of lawn mowing filters
- Breather and exhaust channel
- More complex causes of lawn mowing failure
- Rules for the operation and storage of lawn mowers
Where to start diagnosing lawn mowers
If the lawn mowing does not start or immediately stalls after start-up, it is necessary to check all the main components and assemblies in sequence. The verification algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- Candle and candle channel;
- Air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- Exhaust channel.
These nodes are most often the source of major problems that can be fixed after a thorough inspection.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of the gas spit, check the availability and quality of the fuel mixture. Do not save, do not be greedy and do not be clever in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). It is necessary to prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its quantity from real needs. Excess gasoline remaining after work over time loses its quality.
We diagnose a candle and a candle channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is not in doubt, and the lawn mower stalls at start-up, then a filled candle may become the cause. Here, for repair, an ordinary candle key (probably every motorist has it) and a spare candle are suitable.
- We twist the candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not calcine);
- The excess fuel in the chamber is drained through the spark plug hole and dried;
- We clear an old candle from a deposit by means of a file or a lady’s file;
- We set a gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We return everything to its place and try to start a trimmer.
If the candle is working, the nest where it is completely dry and the lawn mower does not want to start, we lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly moistened. No matter how wonderful a spark a candle gives out, there is simply nothing to light up in a dry chamber.
If the trimmer motor still does not start, a cause such as the absence of a spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire should be excluded. If the connection is high-quality, but there is still no spark, most likely, your ignition unit has “flown”. Here you can’t do without a master, because the part is not being repaired, but sold as a single unit.
Diagnostics of lawn mowing filters
Another reason that the gas braid stalls may be an air filter. To exclude it, try to remove the filter and start the trimmer without it. If possible, then you will have to change the air filter to a new one, or at least blow out and thoroughly clean the old one.
A gas trimmer may not start up due to contamination of the fuel filter. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing, try not to leave the suction pipe completely without a filter, this is prohibited by any operating instructions. Haste can result in repair of the engine piston group.
Breather and exhaust channel
Often, "gentle" branded lawn mowers do not start and stall due to contamination of the breather. The main function of this element is to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. If this unit becomes clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank, which prevents the fuel supply. You can fix the problem by cleaning the breather. You can use a regular needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of the braids with internal combustion engines may be impaired due to the ingress of dirt into the exhaust channel or clogging of the silencer mesh. There is such a problem on older models. You can solve the problem by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-spark mesh.
More complex causes of lawn mowing failure
If the step-by-step algorithm for troubleshooting does not give a result, and your braid still does not start or stalls, it is worth examining the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor can be one of the reasons for unstable tool operation. Three main problems can be distinguished here:
- Clogged channels or jets. All this is cleaned with special washes or purged with a powerful jet of compressed air from the compressor. Do not use needles and wire, as passage sections may be damaged;
- Worn carburetor gasket. Output – replacement of failed gaskets;
- Violation of tightness. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing a manometer with a suitable one. Keep track of the readings: if they do not change, everything is fine, and if the pressure starts to fall, then some part of the carburetor is faulty. We’ll have to find it and replace it with a new one.
Video: Trimmer Rotates Idling
If everything is in order with the carburetor, then the gas trimmer may not start due to wear on the piston group. If chips, scratches, or nicks are found on the piston or cylinder, they should be replaced. Piston rings are subject to mandatory inspection. A slight piston loophole while rocking the connecting rod indicates that it is time to change the rings. This procedure is best entrusted to service center specialists.
Rules for the operation and storage of lawn mowers
In order for the lawn mowing to continue well, you need to provide it with good storage and operating conditions:
- During operation, carefully monitor the cooling system, carefully and timely clean the channels in the housing, as well as the fins of the starter;
- If necessary, use solvents, kerosene and other detergents for cleaning;
- Do not clean the tool “hot” – let it cool;
- Strictly follow the requirements of the instruction regarding the operating mode, otherwise you may overheat the engine;
- If you do not plan to use the lawn mower in the next month, the fuel mixture must be drained from it, because over time it breaks up into heavy fractions that will uniquely clog the carburetor channels;
- After draining the fuel, let the trimmer idle until it dies, this will help to completely remove the remains of the working mixture.
Before winter storage, follow these steps:
- Completely disassemble the braid, rinse and clean all the details that you can;
- Inspect the parts for damage, if necessary, eliminate distortions, gusts, bends and any other malfunctions;
- Pour enough oil into the gearbox and clean the air filter;
- You can partially disassemble the motor, flush, blow and grease all moving parts;
- In order to lubricate the piston, you need to unscrew the candle, raise the piston to the dead center with the starter, pour a little oil into the spark plug hole and rotate the crankshaft a couple of times;
- If you are not keeping the lawn mowing house, wind the engine with an oiled rag.
Winter has come and now many cars “start” in time for alarms (banal programmable startup). Also, many write that it is precisely because of such “warm-ups” that a large amount of fuel is spent. That is, consumption at idle is simply huge (growing by almost 50%)! BUT is it really so? How much is the car consumption per hour with such idle warm-ups? Let’s understand the video version as usual …
THE CONTENT OF THE ARTICLE
- About alarm
- How much does it spend per hour?
- So how much does autostart spend?
- VIDEO VERSION
Of course, the colder, the more difficult it is for the car to start up and work for the first 3 to 5 minutes, then the system warms up and the flow rate drops. But as it becomes clear that there is any expense, but not as huge as many people write.
Alarm with auto start, allows you to start the car for 5 – 10 minutes. And usually the default is 10 minutes, you yourself can set 5, on some alarms 3 minutes.
You can set it as an automatic start in time, for example:
- Will start before your arrival
- Or by the time interval (every 2 hours),
- By temperature (warmed up – stopped – cooled down – started again).
- Well, of course, you can start in the morning yourself from the window (this is if the car is standing in front of the windows).
The most common are points 1 and 4, and basically no one cleans the factory settings, the machine "drumming" 10 minutes. (during this time, we are lower and we will calculate fuel consumption)
How much does it spend per hour?
We approached the most interesting thing – measurements. You can calculate the flow rate for a long time using the formulas. BUT we will do it easier, we have a wonderful diagnostic adapter for car ELM327 (which is installed in the OBD2 connector). Yet now modern “injection” cars are a bit of a computer.
Next, we put the TORQUE program on our phone, it has a bunch of tools that allow us to read certain readings through the sensors of the car.
Well, and of course we have a plug-in – "instant fuel consumption", it is calculated just "liters per hour."
How to connect to the car, I will not tell in detail (all this will be in the video version). I will also measure the average consumption per hour on my car – KIA OPTIMA 2.0 liter.
I also conducted experiments on machines with a smaller engine capacity, 1.4 – 1.6 liters. They have fuel consumption for warmed up motor about 0.6 – 0.7l, the cold will also be spend about 1l. In hour. I think that such a fuel consumption algorithm is regulated ECU, after the system heats up to at least 20, 30 degrees, the control unit automatically reduces the fuel supply, the speed drops.
Of course, the lower the temperature overboard, the interval at higher speeds with a consumption of 1 liter per hour will be greater. For example, at 20.30 degrees it will be approximately 5 – 7 minutes.
So how much does autostart spend?
Here it’s not difficult to calculate. We will take the standard case of “10” minutes before work, and “10” after the working day (why “10”, because rarely anyone will change the default alarm settings for 5 or less minutes).
Also I will take the flow at 10 degrees. Let me remind you that the first 3 minutes it is – 1l / h
At 20 gr. 5 minutes. – 1l / h
At 30 gr. 7 minutes – 1l / h
It turns out (33 = 6min.) – 1l / h, then (77 = 14min.) – 0.7l / h
We have 60 minutes per hour:
Then – 1000ml / 60 = 16.6ml / min 6 = 100ml
Next – 700ml / 60 = 11.7ml / min 14 = 163ml
As a result, at 10g. Celsius (2.0 liter engine) – for two starts of 10 minutes each, consumes – 100 163 ml = 263 ml. OR ALMOST – 0.3 liters. It is up to you whether it is a lot or a little.
Of course, a car whose engine is not so voluminous will spend a little less on idle. If you go the logical way, let’s say the 1.6 liter engine is 20% smaller in volume in the 2.0 version. So he will consume these 20% less, at idle.
263 ml – 20% = 210 ml.
Of course, if you have a larger motor volume and lower temperature, then everything can be calculated for your conditions. As you can see, all this is quite simple.
Well, and before the outcome of the article, I want to say – what on winter fuel consumption, affects not only idle (engine), but also a bunch of other parameters. For example, winter tires, oil density, snow on the roads, etc. See all about this in my video, I advise everyone.
I end here, I think my article and video were useful to you. Sincerely your AUTO BLOGGER
(28 votes, average: 4.21 out of 5)
Which gasoline is better in winter in cold weather? Consider brands 92 and 95, times.
What is an anti-gel and how does it work. Information you need, read
Propane or methane. Which is better for cars. And what difference do they have?