What Are The Wheels For An Angle Grinder
The grit size plays an important role in the grinding discs of the angle grinder. The higher its value, the finer the size of the abrasive particles, which means the finer the grinding:
- 40-80. preliminary processing;
- 100-120. alignment;
- 180-240. final sanding.
Grit sizes for flexible diamond polishing wheels: 50, 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000 (finest grit). The grain on the back says.
There are four types of diamond cutting discs:
- Solid (“Crown”). They are designed for wet cuts only. The cutting edge is continuous. This type of circles provides faster work performance, makes even cuts without chips.
- Segmental. Segmented discs have evenly spaced slots on the cutting edge directed towards the center. They divide the disk into equal parts. segments. Segment wheels are used when performing dry cuts.
- Combined (“Turbo”). The disc edge has a serrated shape consisting of inclined grooves. This type of blade is versatile, suitable for dry and wet cuts.
- Turbo-segment. Their edges are also serrated, but divided into segments, as in a segmented disc. Suitable for dry cutting. The special shape increases productivity.
On sale you can find wheels for an angle grinder with a flange. The flange fixes the circle reliably and quickly, increases rigidity, Reduces vibration, increases processing accuracy, expands the capabilities of the tool, allows you to handle “dead zones”, flat corners.
Types of discs
What kind of discs are there for an angle grinder? Wheels for an angle grinder are classified according to the following parameters:
- Type of work;
- The material from which the circle is made;
- The form;
There are special circles. for wood, metal, concrete, artificial and natural stone, etc. The markings indicate which material the nozzle is suitable for. Each type can be suitable for several types of processed surfaces. For example, a disc for working on a stone for an angle grinder cuts concrete, brick, ceramics, paving slabs, etc. But it is impossible to cut either metal sections in a circle on wood or with a nozzle on rough stainless steel. The angle grinder can process, among other things, asphalt, plastic, glass, fiberglass. If necessary, you can find special discs for an angle grinder (angle grinder) for porcelain stoneware, granite, reinforced concrete, marble, ceramics, tiles, bricks, plastic. If you want to save money, it is preferable to look for a universal circle, which processes several types of materials at once.
Classification by type of work
By the type of work performed, circles to an angle grinder are:
- Cut-off. They are designed for making cuts, rough cuts, etc. The cutting disc has a cutting edge, which is a solid circle or is divided into segments.
- Sawing. The cutting edge has teeth. An angle grinder is used to trim many types of wood products and wood substitutes. You need a saw blade to get the job done. This type of circles is designed to make a smooth, clean cut of solid boards, plywood, parquet, drywall. It is also suitable for laminate, fiberboard, chipboard (including laminated), as well as for making grooves in gas silicate.
- Roughing (grinding wheels). Such nozzles remove the old layer of paint, varnish, primer from the surface to be treated, and polish.
- Stripping. This is a kind of peeling. These include disc metal brushes. They can remove rust and other stubborn dirt.
- Petal circles. They are also referred to as cleanup. Flap discs are used in processing metal, wood, plastic products, cleaning welded seams and burrs, removing rust, etc. Flap disc for an angle grinder consists of plates overlapped around the circumference, according to the principle of flower petals. Varieties: end, batch, with a mandrel. The flap end disc on the angle grinder is designed to be machined at an angle or normal flat. There are two subspecies of it. straight and conical. A straight flap disc is needed when grinding over a large area. Flap cone disc is suitable for finishing seams, joints, etc. The flap disc (folded) is also suitable for large areas. Grinding wheels with a mandrel for an angle grinder are used when working with a cavity. They help to achieve the highest machining accuracy.
- For cutting seams. They are used when making joints in concrete, asphalt, etc. With such attachments, the grinder is also suitable for this work.
- Polishing. Such wheels are used for the final polishing of surfaces. These include replaceable polishing felt and felt attachments for an angle grinder with Velcro, as well as an emery wheel.
Angle grinder discs are made from several different materials. Each of them has its own characteristics. Types of wheels for angle grinders:
- Diamond. They are made of diamond-coated steel. This type of attachments cuts and grinds any metal, concrete, artificial and natural stone (including granite and marble), ceramics, glass. The diamond saw blade for the angle grinder provides the finest cut. You need dust with small cuts. A new type of diamond attachments. polishing wheels on a flexible basis (“shells”). Their surface has a corrugated structure in the form of a turtle shell (hence the name). Flexible diamond discs are attached to the base. a hard rubber attachment with Velcro.
- Carbide. Circles of this type are also made of metal. They have high-carbon molybdenum steels with additions of chromium and nickel at the edges. They are used mainly for cutting metals, less often for wood. The angle grinder is suitable for many metals. There are carbide discs specially designed for thin, high carbon, stainless steel, aluminum.
- Abrasive. The base is thick waterproof latex paper with reinforcing mesh or fiber. A layer of abrasive material is applied to it. particles of aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, tungsten carbide or corundum. The bond for the abrasive is a resin or polymer. A fiber grinding disc for an angle grinder is used complete with a plastic or rubber backing pad. It serves as a stop and cools the abrasive. Abrasive wheels are used as cutting, grinding or roughing. Fiber discs are suitable for wood and concrete, non-ferrous and ferrous metals. The abrasive is zirconate or aluminum oxide, ceramic grain. Fiber disc is ideal for roughly removing old paint from walls, facades and other surfaces.
- Detachable from metal wire. Disc brushes made of this material are used to remove rust and other types of stubborn plaque.
Discs for an angle grinder can conditionally include backing pads. They are also called backing discs or belleville discs. Plates are made of plastic or rubber. They are used in combination with some grinding, polishing, cleaning abrasive nozzles, emery wheels. The need to use a platter should be clarified when buying a particular wheel for an angle grinder.
Angle Grinder Discs (Angle Grinder)
Angle grinder (angle grinder, angle grinder). a tool with which it is possible to perform several types of work. In each case, the use of additional devices is required. special discs and nozzles. Which circle to choose in a particular case?
The sizes of discs designed for an angle grinder may vary. Each of them has certain diameters. internal and external. The internal angle grinder is matched to the fit size. In household grinders, it is the same. 22.2 mm. Here the outer diameter of the circle depends on the depth of cut or the area of the ground surface. A larger blade gives a deeper cut. Outer disc diameters for angle grinder 115, 125, 150, 180, 230. Wheels have different thicknesses. When choosing, you need to give preference to those that are thicker. Thin disc will wear out faster.
A huge selection of wheels for different purposes for an angle grinder allows this tool to perform many tasks. From the assortment offered by manufacturers, you just need to choose the appropriate disc diameter, material, shape. It should be remembered that the high cost is associated with the higher strength of the wheel, which means that the tool life sometimes increases several times.
Discs and attachments for an angle grinder: their types and purpose
Agree, it is always more convenient to have one universal tool at hand than several specialized ones. the issue of transporting a huge amount of rarely used “trash” is immediately resolved. Instead of carrying around a lot of all kinds of tools, craftsmen transport a small set of them. The most versatile tool in this regard can be called an angle grinder. With its help, using different discs or attachments, you can carry out a fairly wide range of all kinds of operations. An angle grinder is able to cut almost any material, regardless of its strength, thin sections, polishes, sharpening, peeling. in general, it can perform all types of work for which rotational movements can be used. It is in such attachments that we will be discussed in this article, in which, together with the website stroisovety.Org, we will study all available discs for an angle grinder and understand their purpose.
How to choose discs and attachments for your angle grinder
Cut-off discs for angle grinder
Cut-off discs are the most common replacement cutting tool for an angle grinder. there are quite a few of them and they are able to overcome almost any material. The most used among them are angle grinders for metal, stone, wood and diamond wheel.
- Disc for cutting metal. It should be understood that angle grinder cutting discs can vary in both their outer diameter and thickness. With the diameter of such nozzles, everything seems to be clear. in this respect, they are designed for small, medium and large tools. Accordingly, their diameter can be 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230mm. As for the thickness of THESE discs, it can vary from 1mm to 3.2mm. Large diameter discs are made thicker, small diameter discs can be of any thickness. This approach to business is associated with both the speed of rotation of the disk and the expected loads on them.
Disc for angle grinder for metal
- Stone discs. Here are their metal-cutting counterparts, they differ exclusively in the used abrasives.
- Discs for wood. In principle, the use of such disks is fraught with unpleasant consequences in the form of all kinds of injuries. you need to work with them very carefully. Compliance with safety measures when working with such replaceable attachments is in your best interest. Firstly, it is not worth removing the protective cover from the tool and, secondly, for an angle grinder it is better to use a disc for wood with a fine tooth. In no case should you cut wood with a strong feed. But it is better to refuse to use such attachments on a large instrument altogether. The ideal option for using such a tool would be to use it in conjunction with special equipment (fixtures for stationary attachment of an angle grinder).
Wood discs for angle grinder photo
- Diamond disc for angle grinder. This accessory can be called universal. it is able to cut almost any material, from soft to durable. Such attachments are most widely used in the field of cutting porcelain stoneware, reinforced concrete, artificial and natural stone and tiles. There are different types of discs for each of THESE materials. some of them have a solid cutting edge, and some are ragged with slots. Also, depending on the purpose of these wheels, they can have a coarse or fine fraction of diamond dusting. For example, discs for an angle grinder for concrete have a fine dusting and special transverse grooves along their entire diameter. In contrast, the diamond disc for a stone angle grinder has a solid cutting edge.
Diamond disc for angle grinder photo
Visually, the purpose of diamond discs is difficult to determine, therefore, when purchasing such attachments, carefully read the packaging. everything is written in detail in its purpose.
Grinding and Polishing Discs for Angle Grinder
There are quite a few types of grinding and polishing wheels. depending on the required surface quality, discs with replaceable sandpaper, felt, and sponge, and even cloth can be installed on the angle grinder.
Grinding disc for angle grinder photo
Most of them require the use of special fine abrasive pastes or even liquids to work. For coarse grinding and sanding, fine abrasive grinding wheels are used. Grinding discs for an angle grinder allow you to finish almost any material to the required roughness. such attachments are used even in auto repair shops for polishing car bodies.
Flap disc for angle grinder
Tool grinding discs and roughing attachments for angle grinders
Among this type of attachments, in order to expand the functionality of the angle grinder, three types stand out significantly. twisted cutters, abrasive sharpening discs and diamond roughing.
- Twisted cones are used for roughing metal and stone surfaces. if we are talking about removing old paint or overwhelmingly dried cement mortar, then you can hardly find a better replacement tool. It is made in the form of steel cups, along the perimeter of which wire brushes are installed. The size of the wire can be different. depending on the roughness of processing, the cutter can be equipped with both thick and thin wire.
Roughing attachments for angle grinder photo
- Abrasive grinding wheels. Such nozzles are designed for rough metal processing. they are used to clean weld seams and sharpen all kinds of cutting tools. As a rule, such attachments are most widely used on small angle grinders. this is due to ease of use. Cutting wheels can be distinguished by their thickness and shape. their inner part has a recess, which allows the sharpening process to be performed with the flat part of the circle, and the thickness cannot be less than 5 mm.
Grinding discs for angle grinder photo
- Diamond roughing discs. In principle, they are somewhat similar to abrasive sharpeners. Only in contrast to them, processing with a diamond tool of this type can be performed only by the periphery of the disk, on which the cutting edges are located. In contrast to its sharpening fellow, a rough diamond is NOT intended for working with metals, its strong point is a roughing of concrete, stone and similar materials. If we are talking about removing a small section of cement screed, then coming up with something better than this diamond, and will not work.
Discs for angle grinder photo
In general, one way or another, and discs for an angle grinder can significantly increase the functionality of an angle grinder. In modern construction and other spheres of life, it is very difficult to find any industry where an angle grinder is not used. together with a huge number of all kinds of attachments, it is a truly universal tool.
What are cutting wheels?
When buying a cutting disc for an angle grinder, a responsible approach is required for the appropriate choice. What parameters are used to classify cutting discs by wood?
- Disc diameter;
- Cutting depth of the tree;
- Teeth characteristics: shape, frequency, number.
What To Consider When Planning To Use A Cut-Off Wheel For A Modern Angle Grinder?
If sawing discs for an angle grinder for wood are rarely used, and the type of wood to be processed will be different, it is best to choose a model with variable beveled teeth.
What parameters are desirable to take into account for successful woodworking when choosing sawing consumable tools?
- Requires rounded cutouts to be made towards the shaft.
- The optimum disc thickness is 2 mm.
- The depth of the cutouts can be up to 20 mm.
- Cutouts are sometimes empty, but in some cases they are filled with copper.
How to choose the right model of angle grinder?
When studying modern wheels for an angle grinder, it is important to understand the basic principles of choosing consumables for an angle grinder. What aspects to take into account?
The grinding wheels have several standard diameters. The smallest model is 115 mm. However, discs for an angle grinder 125 mm are of greater practical importance. over, it was the one hundred and twenty-fifth angle grinder that received the widest distribution Not only among professionals, but among home craftsmen.
Natural wood always turns out to be a specific heterogeneous material, therefore, working with it requires Special circles. Discs for an angle grinder, which are designed for cutting metal or concrete, are categorically not suitable for such processing. Otherwise, the angle grinder will be destroyed or burned by overheating.
When choosing grinding equipment, it is important to note that the standard installed shaft diameter is 22.2 mm. There used to be several divisions, so labeling still plays an important role. Today, for example, a standard saw blade for woodworking has a diameter of 125×22.2 mm.
Although the maximum size of the angle grinder is 230 mm, such dimensions are undesirable for woodworking. Choosing a tool with a large diameter (from 150 mm), you run the risk of serious injury. Preferred dimensions are 115×22.2-125×22.2 mm. In addition, one hundred and twenty-fifth circles are able to cope with a fairly large range of production tasks.
Only if you understand the specifics of the equipment used, you can learn how to correctly select discs for an angle grinder, for safe and effective processing of natural wood.
There are budget cutting discs Hitachi, Makita, Luga. They grind off faster, vibrate more strongly than more expensive ones. The surface finish is different from that of more expensive counterparts. Professionals choose Kronenflex saw blades from Klingspor or Bosch. They grind down more slowly, practically DO NOT vibrate. Less likely to degrade if misused.
Choosing the right angle grinder
Initially, you need to decide on the tool with which you plan to cut wood. It is known that discs are produced for standard sizes of an angle grinder. The smallest diameter is 115 mm, but such a tool is used in extreme cases. The main advantage of such an angle grinder is its compactness, but it is extremely inconvenient to work with such a tool for a long time. Ideal for woodworking is an angle grinder with 125 mm disc. It is this size of the circle for wood that is the safest, therefore it is widely used.
A wood angle grinder requires a special disc to work. It is categorically contraindicated to cut wood with abrasive or diamond wheels. This will not help to cope with the task, but will rather lead to destruction or overheating of the instrument. When choosing a wheel for an angle grinder for wood, it is important to pay attention to the inner diameter of the shaft, which according to the standard is 22.2 mm.
The optimal wheel for woodworking has the following parameters: 125×22.5 mm. The angle grinder for discs of 150 mm and above is not recommended for use on wood, as the risk of serious injury increases. It is better to use tools for cutting or grinding wood under 125 or 115 diameters of circles.
This is a rough job in wood and a disc for a wood angle grinder is suitable. There are two types of factory-made nozzles for this type of work.
- The disk is a plane. Practical attachment for primary processing of logs and non-edged boards. It is massive, durable and equipped with three knives. With its help, the tree is cleared of bark. It is not necessary to install a protective cover for operation, as the thick cut-off wheel will NOT collapse.
- Rough. It consists of a metal base and a chain for a chainsaw, with which its outer part is finished. This structure allows for rough cleaning of wooden blanks from bark, leveling cracks and chips. Rough chain wheel suitable for cutting wood.
What are the discs for the angle grinder for wood
- Angle grinder discs: starting with market research
- How to choose the right model of angle grinder?
- What are cutting wheels?
- Equipment for grinding and roughing work
- Job tips
The angle grinder, popularly known as the angle grinder, is a decent and versatile tool. It is this equipment that allows you to successfully perform cutting, grinding, polishing, sawing off almost any material. When choosing a grinder, it is extremely important to understand which model is recommended for use. The choice is largely determined by the main purpose of the proposed equipment. Metal and wood will require different types of discs and a specific approach, since otherwise the work will NOT bring the desired results.
Features of marking discs for angle grinder. Spinning methods if the disc is jammed
What if the pressure flange is stuck? This nuisance, when the nut is bitten, often occurs if, while working with thick and durable materials, the tool is jammed in the workpiece. In this case, the abrasive wheel often breaks, and the spindle continuing to rotate is tightly tightened by the clamping flange. There are several ways to spin an angle grinder if the disc is jammed.