Can a Screwdriver Drill Concrete
Which screwdriver to choose for drilling concrete?
During many construction processes, there is a need for drilling concrete. A tool that can cope with this task is a screwdriver.
Design and specifications
Outwardly, as in mechanical action, a screwdriver resembles a drill. The difference is the low rotation speed / high moment of scrolling. In addition, fixed speed indicators are installed on screwdrivers (on drills they are regulated independently). Speed control is necessary for safe and high-quality tool operation. The chuck stops moving when the screw is fully tightened. Despite the cartridge stopping, the engine is still in operation.
For a particular type of work, a specific speed / mode of operation is calculated. There is a function of reversing, tightening, unscrewing screws (as well as nuts, screws, screws, soft materials). Masters constantly use screwdrivers. In some cases (working with drywall, assembling the interior, creating a partition), the tool increases the speed and productivity of the work several times.
The scheme of the device cordless screwdriver.
Screwdrivers are designed on the same principle. The basis of the design:
- pistol grip (for leading hand operation);
- little weight;
- start key that starts / regulates rotations;
- power source. mains or battery (note that the battery is more massive and more expensive than the tool itself);
- capacity is limited by the total weight of the tool;
- continuous operation time. about 3 hours;
- spare battery available (depending on model).
The list of advantages of screwdrivers:
- autonomy (modern production involves the absence of a network cable);
- easy drilling of concrete (and other materials);
- a screwdriver can be used for household repairs / installation / assembly of furniture;
- adjustable drilling speed in a screwdriver;
- a large number of varieties for a particular type of work (impact screwdriver / cordless impact screwdriver, etc.).
Two types of drilling are available:
Feature: Battery charging is completed within 20 minutes. The amount of braking / rotation is adjusted independently, depending on the needs and goals. Built-in LED flashlight. The leader among screwdrivers in speed and ease of switching modes.
Cordless impact screwdriver. The main differences:
- light weight;
- high performance;
- high torque;
- multifunctionality (can perform some list of works);
Percussion instrument is suitable for:
- drilling walls made of any material;
- assembly / disassembly of building elements and structures.
As for the design of the instrument, Metabo Power has 2 speeds (soft / hard moment). LED backlight, special belt mount, reverse mode, high work intensity. Charging can be carried out both mobile and offline.
The difference between this screwdriver is:
- powerful impact mechanism (drilling in concrete holes 13/60 mm, in stone. 16 mm);
- 3-speed gearbox, the speed of which is regulated by the consumer;
- for torque mode, you can choose 1 desired combination of 22;
- the speed block integrated in the tool gives additional control over the process;
- LED backlight;
- specially designed chuck to drill a variety of materials;
- functionality (closely related to technical characteristics);
- Compatible with fasteners to drill metal / wood / stone / concrete.
Cordless screwdriver capable of drilling masonry / making holes in concrete monolithic blocks / screwing screws. Tool Feature:
- the ability to drill at a speed of 0.9 J;
- weight is 1 kg;
- battery charge speed. 3 hours;
- makes holes in concrete in a few seconds, the charge is enough for 70 screws;
- speed is regulated independently;
- the cartridge can be replaced with any similar one (other brands can be used);
- 6-sided cartridge.
The rules for working with concrete tools are not complicated and do not establish a clear framework. Remember about safety measures, do not expose yourself and your building to danger.
- pre-load the gun (be sure to follow the time frames for charging, which are indicated in the instructions for purchase. If you do not follow these rules, the tool can quickly become unusable);
- install the desired nozzle into the tool;
- press it, moving the cartridge;
- use reverse to replace chuck or drill;
- try not to expose the gun to strong mechanical impact, this can ruin its quality characteristics;
- after use, wipe, clean and place in a dry place inaccessible to children.
After you familiarize yourself with the purpose, the rules of work and the main types of this tool, you can safely start using it. Remember that strict adherence to the instructions and safety precautions will help extend the life of the tool and protect you personally. Store the implement in a special box that children cannot access.
Before buying, consult with the seller, indicate to him the purpose of your purchase. You will be selected the most optimal. and the right model. Product prices vary depending on the manufacturer / mechanical indicators / composition. Under the correct storage conditions / compliance with the operating rules, the tool will last several years. Pay attention to the terms of the warranty and possible repair of the warranty product.
If you do not have time to carry out construction work yourself, hire a construction team.
Can I drill with a screwdriver? EcommerceMarket.ru
Manufacturers offer a variety of tools. Almost everyone can choose a tool for their financial capabilities and technical requirements. A screwdriver is increasingly found in the home workshop. Therefore, questions arise, what else can be done with it. Today we understand whether it is possible to drill with a screwdriver?
Specialists do not recommend working with concrete. Such a solid material can not even take a drill with good technical characteristics. But, if your model has an impact function, then you can try to overpower thin concrete, stone or brick. As a rule, modern structures are erected from aerated concrete or silicate brick. Such surfaces can be drilled with the most ordinary model, which does not contain a shock function. The main thing is to use the right drill.
What can a screwdriver handle without problems? If you plan to work with wood, plaster, metal or plywood, then you can safely get the tool. It will help not only to tighten the screws, but also come in handy for drilling.
How to save on a punch and drill a concrete wall with a conventional drill?
Many people live in houses with concrete walls, and when it becomes necessary to make a hole in them, they encounter serious difficulties.
Video: Can a Screwdriver Drill Concrete
Do not despair and be upset if you did not immediately manage to hang a shelf, a lamp or a cabinet, read our recommendations and everything will work out.
There are several options with which you can independently drill a concrete wall.
Concrete structures are highly durable, so it is quite difficult to drill them yourself.
This is due to the fact that crushed stone is used to create concrete products, and when you drill, you fall on it, the process is very difficult.
The need for drilling a concrete wall arises quite often, it is necessary for the installation of shelves, cabinets, air conditioning, lighting fixtures, when attaching insulation etc.
There are several ways to solve this problem:
- with a punch or a powerful impact drill;
- conventional electric drill or screwdriver;
- diamond drilling.
To carry out this work, an ordinary drill will not work, it is necessary to purchase tools soldered with a victorious alloy.
It should be remembered that for walls made of relatively soft materials, use of drill bits is impossible, since the holes will turn out uneven, and the wall will collapse. It is also impossible to work with metal with such a tool.
To create holes of large diameter or cutting a doorway, diamond drill bits are used. To use such a tool, it is necessary to use special installations, they allow you to make holes with a diameter of up to 250 mm.
Since the cost of such equipment is high, it is easier to hire specialists or you can rent it.
The better to drill
As already mentioned, you can drill a concrete wall in several ways, we will consider each of them in more detail.
When using a puncher or hammer drill, they must be switched to shock mode, a working tool with a winning tip is inserted and it should be directed perpendicular to the wall surface.
If drilling is carried out for a long time, then periodically it is necessary to moisten the drill so that it does not overheat much.
After you have drilled to the required depth, pull the working tool back without turning off the punch. To clean the finished hole from dust, it is necessary to deepen and pull out the drill several times.
Ordinary drill or screwdriver
If you do not have the tools described above, then you can perform this work with a conventional electric drill or a powerful screwdriver.
To perform drilling, you will need more time than using a hammer drill, but you can do it yourself.
In this case, in addition to the drill and drill, you will also need a punch. First, a small indentation is made at the drilling site using a punch and a hammer.
After that, a working tool is inserted into it and drilling begins. If the drill has stopped, again break the hard patches with a punch and continue to work.
Although a conventional electric drill or screwdriver is not suitable for working with concrete, but if you do not have a punch, you can make several small holes with these tools, but you need to use a spear-shaped drill with a carbide tip, it is usually used for tile.
This is the most effective way by which you can simply and quickly make a hole of the required diameter in a concrete wall.
To perform these works, you will need special equipment, consisting of these elements:
- electric motor;
- a stand that is securely fixed to the base;
- core drill.
During operation, it is not necessary to cool the drill, as water is supplied to it, which not only cools the tool, but also prevents dust from forming.
If specialists work, then together with the specified equipment they use a vacuum cleaner, with which they remove dust and water.
Since the price of such equipment is very large, it is not advisable to buy it for domestic use. If necessary, make a hole of large diameter, for this you can always invite specialists.
So that you can properly drill a concrete wall, you must have the necessary equipment, perform all work carefully and adhere to the following recommendations:
- without a punch, the work can be done with an impact drill or drilled with a screwdriver;
- do not buy cheap drills, as they quickly lose the winning tip, and they fail;
- instead of a punch, you can use a winning tool, one you will break crushed stone, and the second, inserted into a conventional electric drill, drill;
- To work with concrete, the hammer must have an SDS-plus cartridge;
- consider the location of the fittings to determine where it is located, you can use a metal detector;
- for working with concrete, universal drills with diamond spraying can be used, but they need to be inserted only in a conventional drill, or the shock mode must be turned off.
If you need to drill a concrete wall in an apartment, then the easiest way is to use a hammer drill or hammer drill, but if they are not there, then a regular electric drill will do.
During the performance of these works, you must adhere to the developed technologies and safety rules, then you can not only make a hole on your own without attracting expensive specialists, but also avoid injuries.
How to drill concrete and brick with a screwdriver, video:
How to drill a concrete wall. a possible way out
Sooner or later, most people living in houses with concrete walls need to hang a cabinet, a lamp, a shelf or a picture. At this point, the urgent question arises of how to drill a concrete wall. It is no secret that every home master at least once in his life has encountered this problem, but not everyone knows how to solve it. Many courageously torment the drill and their own strengths, but, not achieving the necessary result, they drop everything until the next attempt to make a hole in the wall. But the drill eventually breaks, and the shelves still stand somewhere in the corner of the room or gather dust in the pantry. But there are still options. you just need to know them and be able to use them.
What do professionals advise?
Holes in concrete have to be made often enough, especially in the process:
- finishing work;
- furniture installation;
- air conditioning suspension;
- an additional electrical wiring device;
- installation of plumbing.
There are two ways to solve the problem of holes in a concrete wall:
- impact drill, and preferably a puncher, with a drill;
- diamond drilling.
It is worth noting that it will not work to make a hole in a concrete wall with ordinary drills, so before you begin, you need to purchase drills with specially soldered plates made of high-strength victorious alloy, which perfectly cope with concrete and brick. But for soft materials, it is not recommended to use them, since winning drills do not cut them, but crumble them.
What will help the home master?
In domestic conditions, when it is necessary to make 2-3 holes in concrete, you can get by with a conventional drill, without an impact function. For this, it is necessary to submerge the concrete drill with a strong metal pin (punch), which is the same size as the diameter of the hole, as the victory drill is immersed in the wall body. It is used in the case when the drill begins to "stop" in the wall. At this point, a steel punch is inserted into the hole and they begin to hit it with a hammer or sledgehammer, trying to crush too dense areas and punch the hole deeper. In this case, the pin is slightly rotated. Then a hammerless drill can come back into operation.
All of the above steps are repeated one after another until the hole is enlarged to the required depth. This method is quite time-consuming and tedious, but quite acceptable for a pair of holes.
As an option, when drilling holes in concrete, you can use universal drills with diamond spraying. They are highly effective when working with metal, gravel and concrete. They can only be installed on a conventional electric drill, or on a tool with the vibration function disabled.
Work with a drill very carefully, otherwise it will fail too quickly. The advice that professionals give is to avoid overheating the drill, it should be moistened with cold water from time to time.
How to choose a tool?
For a larger scope of work, a perforator or drill having an impact function and drills with drill tips are needed. An impact drill combines rotary with reciprocating motion, which helps it to cope with lightweight concrete, and there is a simple answer to the question of how to drill a concrete wall that is supporting, the best assistant will be a puncher, the main purpose of which is to pierce concrete fencing. There is another difference:
- hammer drill is designed for drilling holes of not more than 12 mm in diameter;
- The puncher is capable of drilling large holes.
Drill reinforcement caught in the body of the concrete wall should be drills for metal.
What drill large holes?
Professionals who are constantly faced with the problem of drilling holes in concrete use special equipment, which includes:
- powerful electric motor;
- drilling drive;
- diamond core drills of different diameters;
- fixed on the base of the guide rack.
Diamond drilling allows you to make holes of large diameter. up to 40 cm. The process occurs quite quickly, efficiently, without excess dust and noise. Water is automatically supplied to the drilling site, which simultaneously cools the diamond crown and rinses off the dust.
During diamond drilling, the holes are precise in shape and clear in shape, with a polished inner surface. They can be made in various enclosing structures at any angle to the horizon, and the possibility of cracks or chips in concrete is completely excluded. Destruction occurs only at the location of the future hole.
Specialized firms are engaged in diamond drilling, so if necessary, drill holes in large-diameter concrete, you can invite the masters with their equipment. And it’s not necessary to buy a diamond drilling rig specifically for this.