Choosing a Chainsaw Sharpening Machine
For comfortable work and even cuts, you need not only a high-quality and powerful tool, but also a sharp chain. You can sharpen it manually with files or a machine for sharpening chains of chainsaws. The first method is perfect if you just need to sharpen the blunted tooth blades, without changing anything in them. But if the teeth have greatly lost their shape, it will be difficult to process them manually and will take a lot of time. Therefore, in this case, it is better to use grinding machines, they will help to sharpen all teeth correctly and evenly.
Before using any tool for sharpening a chain of a chainsaw, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the instructions, observe the operating rules and safety precautions.
Types and advantages of machines
Sharpening machines are available manual and automatic, each of them has its positive and negative sides. Hand tools are divided into stationary and mobile. The former are mounted on a table or other surface, and the latter directly onto the chainsaw tire. As a result, you do not need to remove the chain. Mobile chainsaw sharpening machines are attached to the tire with screws on both sides. The instrument has a scale with degree marking, where the required sharpening angle is set.
When buying a hand-held machine, it should be noted that files often are not included in its package, since their size depends on the type of chain.
Advantages of hand tools:
- the cost is much lower than that of an automatic;
- the teeth are sharpened qualitatively and equally, since the settings are set only 1 time and for the most damaged of them;
- operation does not require connection to an electric network;
- safe to use;
- a chain sharpened by hand has a longer service life than that sharpened on an electric tool.
The main thing is to correctly determine the desired angle depending on the purpose of the chain. For quality hand-held machines for sharpening chains of chainsaws, a table of values for sharpening angles is always attached.
All teeth must have the same height so that the load on the chain is distributed evenly. If one of the teeth is noticeably lower, then the risk that the chain will break in this place is extremely high.
The disadvantages of hand tools can be attributed only to a long time for processing equipment.
Automatic machine tools
The electric chainsaw sharpener looks like a circular saw, but is mounted on a frame. It has an engine, a handle, a grinding wheel with a protective cover. all together they are called a movable working head. Also, the machine has screws for adjusting the sharpening angles, depth, caliper and chain lock, and on the bottom there is a scale for setting the rear corner.
The advantages of electric machines:
Video: Choosing a Chainsaw Sharpening Machine
- sharpening will require much less time than if done manually;
- with the correct selection of parameters and observance of the operating rules, all the teeth will be exactly the same;
- compact in size and light in weight;
- simple operation.
The main disadvantage is that the chain grinds faster than when machining on a manual fixture. Do not load the engine for too long, otherwise it will lead to its overheating. Electricity is needed to operate.
You should buy an automatic machine when you often need to process a large amount of equipment. It is also essential for carbide chains that cannot be sharpened with a hand set for sharpening chainsaw chains.
Sharpening technology and how to find out what you need to sharpen a chain
Signs by which you can determine that the teeth have become blunt:
- the chainsaw vibrates violently, gets stuck and tries to escape from the hands;
- sawing time is required more than usual;
- increased fuel consumption;
- the chips became shallow.
The sooner the treatment is carried out, the less metal needs to be removed, which means that the chain will last much longer.
Before you begin, you need to choose the smallest tooth. All parameters are adjusted according to it, so that all the teeth are the same.
Step-by-step instructions on how to sharpen a chain on an automatic machine with your own hands:
- The snap screw is loosened and it is removed from the chainsaw;
- The chain is installed in the holder (swivel support), so that the links are directed towards the grinding wheel.
- The required degree of the rear corner of the upper blade is selected (50 ° or 60 ° depending on its type).
- The chain lock (blade) is adjusted so that it abuts against the sharpened tooth.
- By marking the scale with degrees, the angle of sharpening the chainsaw chain is set. It ranges from 25 ° to 35 °, and can also be equal to 10 ° for accessories designed for longitudinal sawing of wood.
- The head with the grinding disc is smoothly lowered onto the chain and the depth of sharpening is adjusted with the screw.
- The head rises and after all the screws are tightened tightly, the device starts up.
- The grinding wheel slowly lowers and the tooth is sharpened with a few short strokes so that the metal does not overheat.
- First, sharpening is carried out on one side, and then the caliper is rotated and the chain is processed from the second.
As soon as all teeth of the chain are sharpened, it should be thoroughly cleaned of chips and dust, and then immersed in oil. This will significantly extend its service life.
After sharpening the teeth, be sure to check the depth gauges. On most types of chains, the distance between their upper edge and the prong is 0.65 mm. The limiter affects the depth of incision of the teeth into the wood, therefore, for high-quality and comfortable work, it is necessary to monitor its value.
How to choose a machine
When choosing a tool, you should pay attention to its power and the number of revolutions per minute, as well as to the diameter of the grinding wheel, since the purpose of the appointment depends on it. Speed affects tool performance. Devices with 3000 rpm are suitable for home use, and for processing a large number of chains, a more powerful machine should be purchased. 4800-7500 rpm.
Similarly with power, if you plan to use it only a few times a month, it is better to take medium power, then it will not experience heavy loads and will last longer.
The price of a grinding machine for chainsaw chains depends on its characteristics and configuration (the presence of a protective screen against sparks, turning the head, cooling system, automatic clamping vice and so on). Do not buy too cheap models, especially if they are completely made of ordinary plastic.