Does Not Receive Oil To The Chainsaw Chain Partner
The guarantee of a long service life of a chainsaw can be not so much the power characteristics of the tool as the proper way to use and compliance with the rules for handling it. This primarily relates to the chain. Proper care of it will help maintain cutting qualities for more than one decade. It implies not only compliance with the technology of working with the tool, you also need to carefully select the oil for the chainsaw chain, which is recommended to be used regularly.
How to choose a chain
Choosing a chain will help study their typology. Important criteria for differences are:
- Tooth pitch. This parameter is measured in inches. The most common sizes are considered 0.325, 0.375 and 0.404. Each of them is selected depending on the tasks. The smaller the specified parameter, the less productivity will be, which means that you will not need to put a lot of effort. Therefore, it is necessary to purchase a chain whose power would correspond to a chainsaw.
- The thickness of the tail, the leading link, which means the ability to select products for different tires. A 1.1 mm thick tail is only present on small chains for household saws. The most popular is the size of 1.3 mm. Such a model may be present even on semi-professional devices.
- Drunk depth and profile height. The performance of the device depends on this parameter. It is always possible to increase the value if you cut off the stops near each tool. There are two choices: 0.025 ”(0.635 mm) and 0.03” (0.762 mm). The presence of a highly profile type chain makes the chainsaw aggressive and shaving. To maintain a balance between high productivity and low vibration, a product with a small pitch of the tails will help.
- Chain, tire and tooth length. The choice of this parameter directly depends on the power characteristics of the chainsaw. over, the best saws are not always characterized by an increased number of teeth and tire size.
- Types of cutting links. Types of chains according to this characteristic: chisel and chipper. The first option is the most optimal because of the direct working surface, which allows you to evenly cut into the wood. It is difficult to sharpen such links, and if even very small deviations from the upper corners are present, the chain performance will be reduced. Chipper ones have the worst cutting characteristics, but are more resistant to any kind of dirt and easier to sharpen.
- The sequence of links. A model with one cutting link and two tails is popular. But non-standard options are also possible: with a half-run. between each second pair of working teeth only one connecting link is inserted, with an allowance. the link is installed between all adjacent teeth. This allows you to reduce the cost. But at the same time, aggressiveness and productivity are reduced, and wear is increasing, including chainsaws.
- The method of cutting material. Products with longitudinal and transverse cut allow you to guide the tire along and across the fibers, depending on the need. They differ in the angle of sharpening of the cutting links.
How to install a chain
The long life of the device is possible not only subject to careful selection of components for it, the installation of the chain on a chainsaw should also be correct. In addition, sooner or later, chain replacement may be required. In this case, it is necessary to think about safety, in particular, to carry out work in special protective gloves. To "dress" the saw, you need to perform actions in the following sequence:
- Prepare the surface for work. You can correctly put the chain on a table or on another convenient and flat surface. Additionally, the surface can be covered with a rug.
- The wing nut on the housing must be unscrewed, and then remove the sprocket cover.
- The latter must be turned to the right until it stops. After that, gradually put the chain on top of the tire, while it is better to start work from its top. At each step, it is recommended that you follow the correct direction of the chain.
- Turn the chain so that the tire is on top of it. At this stage, the cutter located at the top of the tire should be facing forward, not sideways. This suggests that the direction of movement is correct, and the location is accurate.
- To put the tire on an asterisk.
- After that, put the chain sprocket cover on the engine block, turn the wing nut all the way, but do not completely tighten the sprocket cover.
- Unscrew the clamping screw, for which you need to turn it in the direction of the top of the tire, while the chain links should fall into the corresponding recesses.
- Tighten the wing nut until it locks into place.
- Check the part for sagging and overtightness, if necessary, pull it further or loosen.
Why does the chain fly and break
If a chain flies from a chainsaw or it breaks, it means that the device has some kind of malfunction, in normal conditions it should not do this. There are three reasons why a chain flies:
- Problems with the bus. They lead to a weakening of the tension, which can lead to the chain breaking. Most often, this problem occurs in the groove between the outer plate on the casing of the chain headset and the inner plate on the motor housing. The casing with the tire is fixed with a bolt, which during the operation of the chainsaw can be weakened, as a result of which the tire begins to move or vibrate. To solve this problem, it is necessary to find and lower the chain brake, for which the tension screw, which is located next to the tire, must be turned until it is fully tensioned.
- The chain has stretched. Sagging may indicate a malfunction of the chainsaw mechanism. During operation, the metal is deformed, which means it can become 0.5-1 cm longer. In this case, it is recommended to replace or shorten the chain.
- The drive sprocket is loose. To fix it, you need to remove the protective cover of the engine and spark plugs, and then pull out the air filter. The candle itself also needs to be unscrewed, after which a special stopper fixing the piston should be installed in its place. Turn the mounting disk clockwise until the piston stops in its highest position. A thick rope folded several times can act as a stopper. After fixing the piston, clamp the drive sprocket. Assemble the chainsaw by installing all parts in the reverse order.
Most problems can be solved by repair. Only in exceptional cases will you have to change it.
How to shorten the chain with your own hands
You can repair the chainsaw chain with your own hands, subject to the availability of a special tool (most often comes with a saw). Most often, you need to shorten it, especially if it is stretched. It is difficult to do, but possible. To repair it by shortening, you need to prepare the following tools:
Some work can be done with a welding machine, if there are doubts about one’s own strength.
To shorten the chain on a chainsaw, you need to rivet it. Since it is made of durable steel, the process can be complicated. It connects to the inside of the rivet. The reduction is performed in the following sequence:
- Lock the part in a vise.
- Grind off the protruding part with a file or file.
- Knock out rivets with a beard.
- To do a similar job in one more place. This will allow riveting it.
- Remove links.
- Connect to old rivets, while they need to be pressed on the sides. The rivet can be welded to the side parts of the link, after which all excesses should be filed with a file.
Which oil to use for chain lubrication
This part requires constant lubrication, for which you can fill in special oil for the chainsaw, and it must be of high quality. It is recommended to choose oil for the lubrication of chains of chainsaws from the manufacturer of the saw itself. Its consumption is small, so you should not save on buying. But pouring liquid on the circuit itself is not necessary. There are entire lubrication systems to help it flow smoothly onto the tire.
There are other criteria for choosing a saw lubricant:
- resistance to freezing, because sometimes you have to use a saw in the winter, including lubricating it with oil, which means that it should not freeze at low temperatures;
- optimal viscosity of the oil for the chain;
- the oil that is used must not leave a residue on candles and other spare parts;
- lack of impurities.
Change the chain oil if the part heats up and various breakdowns occur.
Chain Lubrication Scheme
The chain saw lubrication system consists of the following elements:
- oil tank, which is located in the crankcase;
- filter in the tank;
- oil pipe, that is, a hose of small diameter;
- oil pump.
Chainsaws are equipped with an automatic lubrication system. This means that the oil enters the chain only when the latter comes in contact with wood. The scheme of the system is as follows. The gear, which is located on the main shaft, drives the shaft of the oil pump. This creates pressure in the oil line, which makes the oil move towards the tire.
The oil channel ends at the place where the tire of the device contacts the crankcase of the chainsaw. The chain tension of the chainsaw for oil supply does not matter. She still lubricates herself.
No oil flows to the chain
The fact that the oil does not enter the circuit can be found by the following signs:
- dry parts and lack of gloss;
- its quick stretching;
- lack of oil reduction from a tank;
- decreased cutting efficiency.
To check whether or not there is an oil supply, you need to direct the end of the tire to the side and maximize the speed, while the end of the tire should be located at a distance of 10 cm from the tree.
Видео: Does Not Receive Oil To The Chainsaw Chain Partner
If oil stains appear on the wood surface, then there is no problem with the oil supply. You may need to adjust the feed.
The reasons for the lack of oil supply can be:
- Lack of thread on oil pump shaft. In this case, it will be necessary to replace it.
- Breakage of an oil hose.
- The presence of defective threads on the drive gear of the pump.
- No corkscrew of the main shaft. You can solve the problem by installing a stud of the appropriate diameter and the required length.
- Clogging. The line can be cleaned by blowing with compressed air or using a thin wire. If the blockage is in the filter or in the pump itself, then these parts are best replaced.
It is not enough to know how to solve problems with a broken or broken chain, because there is always the opportunity to prevent this. Proper care of the saw will help extend the life of the device and its parts. Therefore, it is recommended to follow the advice of specialists:
- Regularly clean the air filter and lubricate it with oil. The filter needs to be changed periodically.
- Every time before starting work, you need to check the tightness of all nuts and bolts. Then, during operation, the device will not fail.
- You need to lubricate both the bearings and the sprocket.
- Regularly clean candles from fumes.
- Lubricate, sharpen and tighten the chain in time.
A quality chainsaw, subject to proper care and timely repair, can last longer than the warranty period.
When moving the chainsaw chains in the groove of the tire due to friction, a large amount of heat is released. If oil does not enter the chain of the chainsaw, it is necessary to stop operation and take all measures to eliminate the malfunction of the lubrication system. The combination of high loads and overheating of the headset is accompanied by its accelerated wear and premature failure.
- Without exception, all chainsaws and their electrical counterparts are equipped with the systems of the same type by the principle of operation, through which the lubrication of the tire, the saw chain and its drive parts is realized.
- The standard composition of this device includes a tank from which the chain oil is supplied to the pump inlet with a fixed or adjustable capacity.
- Next, the working fluid in a metered amount enters the groove of the tire, in which the shanks of the saw chain are evenly distributed over the entire headset and the working surface of the crown of the drive sprocket.
Tires for product sets from 400 mm in length are equipped with a driven sprocket. Periodic lubrication of the bearing is carried out individually, after 6-8 hours of operation.
Symptoms of a lubricant system malfunction
The correct choice of consumable lubricant and the excellent operation of the system contribute to complete lubrication, efficient cooling of the saw equipment and the full development of its resource.
There are several external signs that the chain on the chainsaw is not lubricated. First of all, it is:
- constant oil level in the tank;
- increased engine load;
- accelerated wear of the cutting edges of the saw links;
- characteristic smell of overheated wood.
In the simplest version, the cause of oil starvation may be clogged with sawdust oil channels. This disadvantage is typical for budget headsets that do not have convenient access to problem areas.
Reasons for decreasing system performance and efficiency
In the right amount, oil is not supplied to the chainsaw chain for several reasons. Of the most characteristic failures, we can name:
- clogging of the filter located in the oil tank;
- mechanical failure of one of the elements of the worm pump drive;
- in winter, the performance of the discharge device is reduced due to filling the system with too thick oil.
In the latter case, the drive and all pump parts operate at increased loads, initiating serious mechanical damage.
Advantages of premium class oil pumps
The maintainability of collapsible pumps is sufficient to restore the operability of the unit at home.
The gears of the drive of the pumps of budget chainsaws are mostly polymer. Advanced in terms of technical equipment branded models with adjustable performance are equipped with drive mechanisms made of non-ferrous metals. The cost of such systems is offset by an economical, up to 50%, flow of working fluid.
Self-help troubleshooting feature
A full-fledged independent repair of the chainsaw chain lubricant, all conditions being equal, requires knowledge of the interaction of all elements of the system, the availability of tools and locksmith skills.
The restoration of the operating parameters of many chainsaws provides for partial or complete dismantling of the component equipment. To perform complex repair work it is better to use the capabilities and technical potential of service workshops.
Parts with torn threads and damaged splined joints, as well as non-separable structures that complete the lubrication system of the popular Stihl 180 chainsaws and other similar models, must be replaced.
If, when the tank is filled, oil does not enter the headset design, the reason should be sought in the pump itself. Dismantling and disassembling the mechanism will help to identify defective parts and eliminate the malfunction by replacing them.
Checking the system for oil output and performance
Oil filter contamination results in a significant decrease in pump performance. Checking this option is easy. To do this, you need to hold the headset of the working revolving saw over a clean sheet of paper.
By the density and size of the oil strip, you can confidently judge the condition of the system and the complexity of the upcoming repair.
When asked why the repaired lubrication system works, but the right amount of oil does not go to the chain, there is no definite answer. The cause of failure may be errors made during assembly, malfunctioning of standard adjustments, inconsistency of the density and viscosity of the selected composition with the declared characteristics.
Headset oil starvation is possible when installing on a household saw with an unregulated pump a longer production tire, which is equipped with professional-grade chainsaw equipment.
The specifics of repairing Chinese chainsaws
A significant share of the imported chainsaw range is made up of Chinese-made chainsaw equipment. Many models with more or less success are copied from the best European developments.
The main advantage of Chinese products of the budget segment is a high level of interchangeability of spare parts, components and systems. For the repair of Chinese chainsaws, in some cases, you can use accessories from models of other manufacturers identical in power and purpose.
Chainsaw chain not lubricated
During the long-term operation of the chainsaw, some of its elements and components may become unusable.
How to adjust the oil supply to the chain in a conventional chainsaw. Proper lubrication of the chainsaw chain
One of the most vulnerable components is the oil pump. In this regard, many owners of saws have a question about how to repair the oil supply on a chainsaw.
The task of the oil pump is to supply lubricant to the chain. this is necessary for its smooth movement along the guide rail. When the oil pump fails, the lubrication of the chain deteriorates, and therefore the efficiency of the chainsaw decreases. In some cases, this leads to an open circuit. To prevent negative moments, it is necessary to start repairing the oil supply in a timely manner. How to do it?
Principle of operation and pump arrangement
Oil pumps can be made of metal and plastic. They are also divided into two types, which differ in their design:
The pump is driven by the movement of the drive sprocket. During the movement of the chain, oil is supplied to a special channel located on the guide rail. At idle (when the drive sprocket does not rotate), the pump does not provide lubrication. this is done to save.
The speed and volume of lubricant supply to the chain directly depends on the number of revolutions of the sprocket. In some models of chainsaws, a manual adjustment system is provided with a special screw located on the device’s body. On expensive saw models, the oil supply is automatically adjusted during operation.
Main problems with oil supply
When working a chainsaw, there can be two types of problems with the supply of lubricant to the chain:
- Inadequate oil flow that can be caused for various reasons. If measures are not taken in time, the quality of work will noticeably deteriorate, and the chain itself may even become worthless.
- Excessive amount of oil. In this case, after prolonged use, pools of grease may accumulate under the saw. This not only affects the consumption of oil, which will have to be constantly added, but also negatively affects the environment.
Both of these problems must be fixed as soon as possible after they are discovered. This will extend the life of the saw and reduce the consumption of lubricating fluid.
If the oil is supplied to the chain in excessive quantities, not only during the operation of the saw, but also at idle, manual adjustment should be made (if the pump design provides such an opportunity). This is done with a screw, which is located on the housing near the guide rail, usually from the bottom or side. By tightening the screw, the oil supply is reduced, by loosening. vice versa. If the adjustment does not help, it is necessary to check the serviceability of the pump, as well as inspect the tire. perhaps at the place of its connection with the housing, a gap has formed through which oil flows past the chain.
A lack of oil can be caused by several reasons, each of which has its own solution:
- Faulty oil pump. As a rule, it consists in unsuitable laying. In order to replace it, it is necessary to carefully disassemble the pump so as not to damage its moving parts. Next, a new gasket is installed, after which the pump is assembled and installed in place.
- Damage to the oil pipe. In the event that the pump gasket is in good condition, or its replacement has not led to a result, the tightness of the hose should be checked. If it is faulty, you need to replace it. Otherwise, it will not be superfluous to clean it and fix it with sealant.
If the reason is not the failure of the pump, it is necessary to inspect all conductive holes and channels for clogging, and if necessary, clean them of foreign objects. This can be done with a jet of compressed air.
Do not want to bother with a chainsaw, but need to adjust the flow of oil? Contact our specialists for help diagnosing and repairing the chainsaw, and if necessary, carry out repairs and adjust the lubrication level. Your saw will be like new!
Back to list
Tires Chainsaws chains. Chain lubrication system, adjustment and sharpening.
Partner Chainsaw Chain Oil Adjustment
Most modern chainsaw oil pumps are designed the same way: in the body (photo 1 pos. 1) there is a cylinder (photo 1 pos. 2), into which a plunger (photo 1 pos. 3) is inserted, making rotational-translational movements in it.
Cylinder in the lower part it has two holes (only one of them is visible in photo 1 item 4): it is sucked in through one oil, and pushed out into the second.
Plunger (photo 2). this is a steel rod, on the one hand it has a milling groove. flats, and on the second. a plastic or steel gear. When the plunger rotates, the flats alternately open and close the inlet and outlet openings of the cylinder. When translating upward, the flat first opens the inlet (while closing the outlet) and creates a slight decrease in pressure. Due to this, a portion of the oil is sucked into the cylinder. Then, turning, the plunger moves down, opening the outlet hole with the flat (while closing the inlet) and pushing the oil out of the cylinder. So it is fed to the bus in small portions. Due to the high frequency of cycles, a constant and continuous flow of lubricant is created.
Are used two types of oil pumps (photo 3): with an adjustable oil flow rate and an unregulated flow rate. In the first case, the gears of the plunger have an oblique tooth, and the translational upward movement is provided by an additionally installed spring. Oil flow control is carried out by changing the stroke length of the plunger in the cylinder. An example is an oil pump for Chinese saws with an engine displacement of 45-52 cc
In the case of an unregulated oil pump, the plunger has an oblique closed groove in which the fixed stop of the body abuts. The rotation causes the groove to slide along the stop, and since it is oblique, this movement causes the plunger to go forward backward. With such a scheme, it is impossible to limit the stroke of the plunger and oil is supplied in constant quantities. Example. Husqvarna 137, 142 chainsaw oil pump
The torque from the engine to the plunger is transmitted through a special drive unit, which also has a gear. the counterpart of the gear on the plunger. In fact, this is a worm pair. The oil pump drive is driven either by the drive chain sprocket (photo 4 pos. 1), or by the crankshaft itself (photo 4 pos. 2).
In the first case, the plunger is mechanically connected to the drive sprocket and rotates only with it. The photo 4 pos. 1 shows the Stihl MS-180 chainsaw drive. The steel antennae clings to a special recess on the cup of the drive sprocket. When the sprocket rotates, the drive rotates with it. In this case, there is no oil supply at idle.
In the second case, the drive is rigidly fixed on the shaft and constantly rotates with it. Photo 4 pos. 2 shows the drive of the Husqvarna chainsaw oil pump 137, 142. It is pressed onto the shank of the crankshaft and rotates with it constantly. Therefore, oil is constantly supplied, even if the saw is in idle mode.
Usually, one of the gears (either on the plunger or on the drive) is made plastic in order to secure the part with a more complex structure or complicated installation. The first part will break and wear out the plastic part.
On some saws, the oil pump with the drive may be additionally closed with a special cover (photo 5, the cover of the oil pump of the Chinese chainsaw 45-52 cc), which protects the worm joint and the pump itself from dirt and wood dust. On some saws, such as Husqvarna 137, 142, the oil pump housing itself closes the connection between the drive and the plunger, thereby acting as a protective cover.
For normal operation of the tire and chain, a certain amount of lubricant is required.
adjustment of oil supply to the chainsaw chain
In order for the design of the lubrication system existing on a chainsaw to give out, the oil must have a suitable viscosity. Judging by the mechanics, the oil pump does not care what kind of oil you use: automobile, transmission or special. The main thing is that the viscosity lies in the established acceptable range. However, this does not mean that any oil can be poured. The task of chain oil is not to save you money on its purchase, but to lubricate the parts of the tire and chain. Different oils do this differently. But more about that in another article “Chain oil. What to pour? ".