How To Choose An Electric Drill For Home
9 tips on how to choose a drill for your home: types of drills, power, application. Drill types by power type
Drills can be divided into two types depending on the power source:
- Corded drills work from the mains, they are high power and easy to maintain. you just need to find an outlet and DO NOT worry about the battery charge. Tying to an outlet is the main disadvantage of such devices, since problems may arise when working on the street or with frequent power outages;
- The cordless drill allows you to carry out work where electricity is available at all or access to the network is difficult. Plus, the absence of wires provides freedom of action. The reverse side of the coin is low maximum power and the need to constantly monitor the battery charge, and sometimes buy a new one. The battery life is 0.5-2 years, you will need to buy strictly defined batteries.
When choosing a cordless drill, pay attention to the type of battery. Lithium-ion Li-Ion is the most popular and most preferred, it is very light and durable in operation. Nickel-cadmium NiCd allows it to work normally in frosty conditions, but has a pronounced memory effect. Let’s say you have 15% of the charge left and you decide to put the battery to recharge, the next time the drill may refuse to work exactly when the charge level is 15%. This, of course, has a negative effect on durability, and interferes with work. Nickel-magnesium NiMg battery does not have such a pronounced memory effect and weighs less.
The larger the battery capacity, the longer you can operate the drill without recharging. Larger batteries are usually installed in professional drills. The duration of recharging is also different: if in household models it can reach 7 hours, then in professional models it is much less. about 1 hour.
The drill mixer differs from the usual universal drill by the presence of special attachments in the kit, which allow you to conveniently mix liquid and semi-liquid compositions. The design of the tool, as a rule, provides for special handles for a comfortable grip during mixing. The drill mixer is suitable for mixing putties, adhesives, paints and other mortars up to 10 liters in volume and allows a more thorough mixing than with a manual process.
Drill types by purpose
Depending on what set of functions the drill has, the following main types of tools are distinguished:
- An ordinary drill, it is sometimes called a hammerless drill;
- Hammer drill;
- Drill screwdriver;
- Drill mixer;
- Angle drill.
All these modifications are quite different from each other, including in price, so when buying it is so important to be aware of the purpose of using the tool.
The power of the drills on sale ranges from 300 to 1500 watts. The higher this indicator, the more loads the tool can handle. In professional models, the power is usually higher than 800-1000 W. The weight of the device also grows with power, so there is no point in taking a drill with a large margin for this parameter. your hands will get very tired during work. On the contrary, if you take a model with insufficient power, then your hands will get tired of the fact that you will have to Apply additional load during drilling.
If you have to work with materials NOT stronger than brick, then you can stop at an 800 W drill. If you plan to drill concrete or constantly use a drill as a construction mixer, then you will need a more powerful model.
Shaft rotation speed and its adjustment
The rotational speed of the drill shaft at idle speed can reach 3500 rpm, but such a frequency is not always necessary. The higher this parameter, the faster it will be possible to drill the hole and the smoother its walls will be. High revs are more necessary in order to grind and polish the surface, but they will also come in handy with impact work. In order to tighten the screw, 400-500 rpm will be enough.
The versatility of the tool is provided by a rotational speed switch. In the simplest models, a step switch is used, in the more advanced ones. an electronic one, which clearly reacts to the force of pressing. If he presses hard, we get the maximum speed.
A speed limiter and soft start are also helpful. The latter allows you to smoothly accelerate the engine and provides a gradual increase in speed from minimum to required. This allows you to get rid of jerks at the start, overloads and drilling errors.
This is a drill without any bells and whistles. It has an impact function, so that the drill can only be used with wood, drywall, metal and other not very hard surfaces. This tool is suitable for minor repairs in the country, in a barn, a wooden house. Conventional drills without impact function can be cordless or powered.
Drill chuck type
Depending on how the drill is fixed, drill chucks can be:
- A key or toothed chuck fixes the drill with a key, clamping it with three symmetrical “petals”. It is believed that such a mount allows you to more securely hold the drill, therefore it is used in powerful and impact drills. The downside is the inconvenience when replacing the drill, since it is necessary to use a special key. By the way, he can get lost, and then the time for replacement increases several times. Some craftsmen tie the key to the drill;
- The quick-release mechanism allows you to change drills very quickly using only a little manual effort. In terms of reliability, it is not inferior to the key chuck, but still it is used only in drills with low power, designed to work with not very hard materials. In terms of durability, the mechanism is inferior to the key.
Also, when choosing a drill, pay attention to the diameter of the chuck. The minimum value may approach 0, but it is usually necessary to use a delight of less than 1.5 mm. The maximum value can be 10-13 mm and even 16 mm in powerful drills.
As the name suggests, such a tool is designed for drilling holes in the most inaccessible and narrow places, where you cannot get to with a conventional drill. The design of the device is characterized by the presence of a bevel gear and the location of the rotating shaft perpendicular to the body. Such drills, as a rule, have low power and there is no need to speak about any impact function here.
An angle drill is a very specific tool, so it is better to take a regular model and, if necessary, use a special attachment. it is cheaper and in most cases wiser.
Each device performs a specific set of operations. Therefore, the designs differ in different models. Professional tools are classified according to their purpose:
- Shock. Can punch and drill any hard or brittle material (concrete, brick, metal, wood, plastic, glass). This is possible due to the movement of the axis, which, in addition to rotation, pushes back and forth. If necessary, the impact function can be switched off, only drilling. But remember: This is not a puncher. The device is designed for work of an average degree of complexity. with constant heavy loads, it will not last long. Typically, the model uses two modes. conventional and hammer drilling. The second method is suitable for punching holes in brick, concrete floors and partitions. Rotational mode is applied when working with other materials.
Unstressed. It makes only rotational movements, it is used for drilling holes in metal and wood (for this, special drills for wood / metal are selected). Answering yourself to the question “how to choose a drill for the house?”, Think about the shockless model: it is optimal for minor repairs, solving household issues.
Angular. It can be used to drill holes in narrow, hard-to-reach places, corners. The rotating shaft is placed perpendicular to the body. The shock function is not provided, the power is low. This model can be replaced with a regular straight line with an angle attachment. As you already understood, there are many types of drills. But you only need to choose one. Let’s continue our acquaintance with them.
Screwdriver. It can perform several different tasks: tighten / unscrew screws, self-tapping screws, screws; Drill holes. Works in pulse mode. Has a reverse function. Used for assembling furniture and drilling small holes (for example, for a picture). Can change the twisting force. Since it is not powerful, it is not suitable for hard surface treatment. In general, the characteristics of the screwdriver are encouraging, since it is a lightweight and versatile device capable of performing many useful functions.
The main parameters for choosing a drill
Having studied the main types of tools, let’s talk about the principles of their choice. This is NOT price at all, although it does matter too. Such points are important:
- Power. To solve small household tasks, a low-power or medium-power device (500. 900 W) will be enough. For drilling large deep holes, mixing viscous consistencies, solving more complex professional tasks, you will need a tool of at least 1000 W. only its torque is able to cope with large loads. When deciding which drill to choose for the home, it is better to choose a low-power or medium-power.
- Cartridge. Two aspects are important here: the shape and diameter of the fit. By shape, they are divided into: a) quick-clamping and b) gear (key). The peculiarity of the first in manual installation of the drill And it is very convenient to do it. True, they also have disadvantages: they have a short service life, frequent breakdowns are possible. The second type of chuck is clamped only with a special key. Secondly, the drill did not fit into it, but it keeps it tight. That is why it is used in powerful devices (this is the question of how to choose an impact drill, the load on which is very large). The disadvantage is that if you lose the key, a problem arises, so you have to tie it to the body. As for the diameter of the chuck, the bigger it is, the better. The minimum value is taken without restrictions: the chuck jaws can be compressed to 1.5 mm (and even to a value of 0, although there is no particular need for this). The maximum values are 16 mm (heavy-duty models), 13 mm (medium-power devices) or 10 mm (light devices).
- Shaft rotation speed. How to choose a drill for this parameter? It’s very simple: the higher the speed, the smoother the walls of the drilled hole are. The quality of grinding, impacting and polishing work is also higher, even with low tool power. Screwing is best done at 400. 500 rpm. In this case, the adjustment function is very important.
- Hole diameter. Its maximum value is usually indicated in the technical data sheet for several different materials: steel, wood and metal. Added values for brick and stone to impact model instructions. The maximum hole when drilling with a diamond crown reaches 30 cm. The minimum is 0.6 cm. In addition, the diameter of the drill itself is also indicated. It will be easier for you to understand how to choose a drill if you read the instructions for the tool and read its technical specifications.
- Switch. It is important for adjusting speeds when changing from one type of work to another (for example, from screwing screws, which occurs at high speed, to drilling, which requires fewer revolutions). Which drill should you choose? Infinitely adjustable, which is controlled by an electronic switch when the start is pressed. With strong pressure, rotation increases, with weak pressure, it decreases. There is a special switch on the body for step adjustment. Many devices have a soft starter that gradually accelerates the shaft from low to high rpm. The mechanism for stabilizing the speed under load allows you to adjust the device to work with different surfaces and excludes it from jamming during overloads.
- Fixing the button. When turned on, the start button is fixed. Thus, the hand of a working person is freed from unnecessary movements. In addition, if you fix the drill on a stand, then you can convert it into a drilling machine.
Drill types by power type
According to this parameter, instruments are classified as follows:
- Network. As the name implies, they are powered by the mains. Among them there are professional and household models. They are characterized by high power and easy operation. Speaking about the characteristics of electric drills, one should note their minus: they are “tied” to the outlet. NOT suitable for outdoor use or frequent power outages.
- Rechargeable. Most often these are screwdrivers. They benefit from operation without a power cord and outlet. the battery is simply recharged. This is important, especially if you cannot connect to the mains for some reason. How to choose a cordless drill / driver? Be sure to pay attention to the type of battery. Nickel-cadmium is short-lived, plus it requires constant operation. If the tool will be rarely used, it is not worth purchasing. Metal hybrid and lithium-ion batteries have a longer lifespan, but are suitable for low-power devices that only work on soft surfaces.
How to choose an electric drill?
Let’s talk about how to choose a drill. No repair is complete without it. In addition to conventional drilling, she performs a number of other useful work.
Devices are of two types:
- Household. Designed for amateurs, rarely used, from time to time. Their power is low (and therefore the price is lower), but the functionality is wide. They are suitable for drilling and driving screws. How to choose the right drill / driver? To understand this, you need to get acquainted with different types of techniques.
- Professional. Designed for professionals. Withstand active exploitation. They have a powerful engine, they can work for many hours in a row (7-8), but they cost an order of magnitude more. Next, let’s talk about different types of units.
Famous brands at a glance
Asking the question “Which drill is better to choose?”, The most popular brands cannot be ignored. What manufacturers offer us?
If we consider network devices, then in approximately the same price category there are three brands:
- Makita. They have an ordinary self-locking chuck, a rather long lever. They work quite well, but in case they are not overloaded. They have a long handle, which is not very convenient. There is a reverse button on the side.
If you decide to choose one of THESE brands of power drill, you can’t go wrong. Any of them will justify itself in operation. All of them are productive, convenient, have wide functionality, and serve for a long time. During use, they do NOT cause problems. These are good budget tools for home use. Can be used for professional work.
The classification of drills according to the best percussion models looks like this.
- Bison. Excellent value for money, light weight.
- Bort. Popular budget devices with good performance.
- Military. Affordable price.
- Bosh. Excellent functionality, keyless chuck.
- Makita. The best price-quality ratio.
- Dewalt. The lightest, weighing only 1.6 kilograms. Wondering which drill to choose? DO NOT doubt the reliability of the DeWalt brand. feel free to purchase!
- Metabo. They have excellent functionality. Works like a drilling machine.
- Makita. Reliability and high build quality.
- Bosh. The winning combination of performance and price.
- Dewalt. The most convenient use (optimal weight distribution).
- Makita. The highest quality professional device.
- Bosh. High degree of reliability, long service life. When thinking about how to choose a drill driver, pay attention to this brand.
- Hammer. High-performance, equipped with a powerful motor, develop the highest rotational speed (44800 bpm). They can drill any material. Equipped with a reversing function and a keyless chuck. Have two speeds and speed control.
- Metabo. Reliability at a reasonable price. They are characterized by a high vibration frequency (per minute) and are capable of drilling concrete and brick surfaces. The start button has electronic rotation control. Can be used as a drilling machine.
- Dewalt. Decent “middle peasants”. They are sold at an average price, but at the same time they compete adequately with the top models. Can work on hard surfaces such as steel and concrete. They have a proprietary toothed chuck design (the key is included). The hammer drilling mode allows you to make holes accurately and quickly. They have a beautiful design, a durable body made of a material that is pleasant to the touch, and a long rubberized cord. Reliable and easy to use. Equipped with a reverse mode and mechanical interlock of the power button.
We hope this little excursion into the world of drilling and crushing technology will tell you how to choose a good drill. We wish you to find your tool, with which you will work a lot and fruitfully!
How to choose an electric drill?
In 1895, a German engineer invented the first ever power tool called the Electric Drill. Mass production only started in 1955.
Very often, the Electric Drill is used in design and household work. In such cases, it is advisable to use NOT a building, but smaller sizes and with less power.
When choosing this tool, you need to take into account both its main application and the amount of working time. An electric drill is a kind of tool, which requires not only special care, but also known in it for more correct and accurate use. If you follow all the instructions, then it will serve you for many years.
In domestic conditions, it is most often used for drilling holes in walls. It helps in fixing both suspended ceilings and cornices, mirrors, sconces and other household purposes. Since in our time, constructions made of reinforced concrete, tiles, plastic, metal-plastic have become fashionable, this tool will become a good helper for you.
An electric drill is most often a pistol-shaped device. The internal filling is a start switch, a traction converter, a rheostat or a thyristor power regulator, a reverse, an electric motor is often equipped with a shock mechanism. To install construction or locksmith nozzles, a chuck is attached to the drill spindle. In more powerful drills there is a Morse taper fit in the shaft for fixing the drill in it. Also, grinding attachments are very often used, or special tripods, which turn an ordinary hand-held electric drill into a drilling machine, with which you can perform the largest possible volume of work. The angle of the drill allows you to smoothly change the feed.
Some progressive companies. Manufacturers are increasingly introducing new know-how, which largely affects the consumer properties of tools.
Application Electric Drill
How, after all, does the Electric Drill work? When it is put into operation, the rotation of the cartridge begins, which brings the nozzle into mechanical movement. With the help of the reverse, you can adjust the direction, and with the help of a rheostat, the rotation speed, which is measured by the number of revolutions per unit of time.
There are two operating modes of drills: simple and with a blow.
1. Simple. Typical for plumbing and joinery.
2. An impact drill is used to drill holes in stone, concrete or masonry. The impact mode will allow you to break through the hard layer of the wall in a short time and save your time. The thing is that the drill not only rotates, but also makes reciprocating movements. Special tip, with increased hardness, designed for drilling in stone, concrete, brick and other building materials.
Often, an impact drill is considered as a full-fledged hammer drill, but do not forget that in terms of efficiency, these are two completely different tools. When there is a risk of splitting the material, it is not worth using hammer drilling. Examples of this would be the edges of the walls. Punching holes in roof tiles or ceramic tiles.
The drill can be used not only for drilling, but also for screwing or unscrewing screws and screws. By attaching the chuck to the drill, you can use the attachments for grinding and cutting materials.
Be extremely careful when working with this tool. In order to avoid the ingress of small particles of processed metal, it is necessary to use protective glasses in the eyes.
Many Electric Drills are equipped with jaw chucks. This is a hollow cylinder, on the surface of which an adjusting sleeve or ring moves. The cylinder itself is attached to the drill shaft with one of the bases, and nozzles are fixed to the other.
Inside the cylinder, along special guides, metal cams move when the adjusting ring rotates. Depending on the direction of rotation, they either approach or move away from each other. The chuck body has a hole with a tapered surface or a thread for attaching to the drill shaft.
The jaw chuck fixes nozzles, both cylindrical and of any diameter. suitable ranges are 0.8-10mm and 1.5-13mm.
Direction of rotation and adjustment of angular speed
Changing the start of the electric motor helps to change the direction of rotation. A switch is installed on the drill body, which is located near the handle. Switching during operation overloads the motor, therefore the trigger is designed so that switching is NOT possible without switching off.
Angular velocity control is used in such drilling applications:
Drilling in low-melting metals;
Large diameter holes;
To reduce the speed when tightening and unscrewing screws;
at the start of drilling.
Electric drill selection
When buying an electric drill, be guided by its intended purpose, the price ratio also depends on it. Quality. Also, NOT the last place in this matter, It takes the service life, activity of use and functionality of the purchased tool.
There are several principles by which to choose a drill model for home use. Consider them.
At home, the Electric Drill is used for drilling holes, hanging ceilings and other household items. At the moment, most often, in modern construction, they use materials such as reinforced concrete, tiles, metal-plastic. But wood, brick, metal are also NOT an exception.
If you are going to purchase an electric plane, jigsaw, and you already have an Electric drill on your farm, then a detachable power cable will be a very useful thing (in the event that all the tools are of the same brand and of the same company).
Antivibrationsystem- an anti-vibration system designed to reduce the harm of vibration to humans, Reduces the impact by about half. If you use an electric drill on rare occasions, then such a system is not particularly relevant. Spring-dampened handle complicates the workflow and affects the price of the tool.
To increase the torque with small dimensions Reduced dimensions of the Electric Drill reducer have been developed. This improvement is costly.
When buying an electric drill, pay special attention to the presence of the company manual and the warranty card. The instrument must have double electrical insulation. this is a case of non-conductive material, and all current-carrying internal elements are provided with another independent electrical insulation.
How to choose an electric boiler for a private house, criteria:
The first step in choosing the right electric boiler is choosing the power. The extent to which the room can warm up the boiler depends on it. If you need a boiler only as source of heat, then again, the power may be less, and if you also need hot water supply, then the small power will not be enough.
In order to calculate the power, it is necessary to take into account:
- Dimensions of the heated room;
- The level of thermal insulation of the room;
- Materials from which the walls and ceiling are made in the room;
- The presence / absence of a ventilation system;
- The number and sizes of window and door openings;
- Temperature features of your region.
How to choose an electric boiler for heating a private house?
Electric heating boilers are simple, environmentally friendly heating devices that will save free space in your home and provide you with warmth and comfort in any bad weather. Such boilers do NOT emit harmful substances, have a fully automated control system and are absolutely silent during operation. Electric boilers are not only an efficient source of heat, but also an excellent boiler replacement. they can provide a home with an uninterrupted supply of hot water.
By their design, electric boilers for heating a private house are quite simple. They consist of:
- Heat exchanger (represents a tank with heating elements)
- Boiler regulation and control unit;
- A pump for circulating water in the system;
- Expansion tank;
- Safety valve;
- Some models also come with a programmer.
Advantages of electric boilers for heating a private house
Although electric boilers for heating a private house are more expensive than solid fuel and gas boilers, they also have a number of advantages, which should not be neglected.
Electric boilers boast a wide power range and an extensive model range, so you can choose the ideal heater for both individual heating and commercial purposes. Electric boilers have a high efficiency. up to 99%, and thanks to the step power level of many modern models, electricity will be consumed as economically as possible.
Electric boilers are environmentally friendly and do not require the installation of a chimney, have a high level of automation, are durable, easy to operate and have a low cost price. The main thing when choosing an electric boiler for heating a private house is not to rush to make a choice, but to approach it more responsibly, take into account all the nuances of each model and consult with experts.
Tefal Optigrill GC712
Thanks to the reliable clamping mechanism, fish and meat dishes are cooked several times faster.
Manual setting available in four positions and four cooking programs from chicken to sandwich.
- Famous brand;
- High-quality assembly;
- Intuitive setting;
- Feet available.
How to choose: what parameters Pay attention to?
- Working surface size.
The choice should be made depending on the number of people for whom you plan to cook.
For example, for a family of 4-5 people, you need to purchase a grill with an area of 50 cm 2.
In a home electric grill, the power varies within 0.7.2.2 kW. The higher it is, the faster the food will cook.
- Materials used.
Ideally, the case should be stainless steel and the work surface should be non-stick.
Cheaper and less durable models are made of heat-resistant plastic, and their working surface is covered with enamel.
- Temperature control.
The models are considered especially convenient in which the temperature of the upper and lower working surface can be individually adjusted.
Allows you to set the cooking time, after which the device automatically turns on.
The function is useful for busy people and young mothers.
- Heating mode (keeping temperature)
Keeps cooked food hot and fresh for a long time.
- Delayed start mode.
Thanks to him, you can set the start time of cooking.
That is, the Electric Grill can cook the food contained in it, even when you are in the kitchen.
- Display or light indexing.
Shows which mode the device is operating in.
- Thermal insulation of handles.
Allows you to rearrange a hot, working device to another place.
- Drip tray. removable greatly simplifies the cleaning of the device.
- Work surface relief. a flat surface is much easier to clean.
How and how to choose an electric grill for your home? Review of popular models
How does a home electric grill work? What parameters should you pay attention to before buying? What models are most in demand among buyers and why? Read in our article!
Is it possible to enjoy the taste of juicy grilled meat living in the “stone jungle”? Sure! If you have an Electric Grill.
With it, you can cook your favorite steaks and vegetables on the wire rack, even where you cannot light a fire.
In this article we will tell you what to look for when looking for a kitchen unit, which parameters are better to pay attention to before buying in order to choose the right device for your home.
REDMOND SteakMaster RGM-M805
Model included in the rating of the best electric grills.
Combines grill, oven and barbecue functionality. 7 modes and programs, including heating and heating. Non-stick coating allows you to clean your grill without too much difficulty.
- 7 operating modes;
- 3 modes of frying;
- Easy to clean.
- Unnecessary built-in functions that you have to pay extra for.
Tefal Optigrill XL GC722D34
Voted the best electric grill. Differs in an excellent balance of strength and ease of use.
Heats up quickly. Supports 4 different temperature settings.
The large surface of 40 x 20 cm allows you to cook at once for the whole family.
- 4 temperature settings;
- High-quality assembly.
- High price
Delonghi CGH 1030D
Seven cooking modes open up new possibilities for lovers of culinary experiments.
The size of the working surface 37 x 46 centimeters allows you to cook at the same time from 2 to 4 servings.
Stylish display makes operation more comfortable and easy, and non-stick coating makes grill easy to clean.
- Attractive design;
- Famous brand.
- May splash grease while cooking.
What types of devices are there?
Electric grills are divided into two main types:
Massive devices that require a large area of placement and a constant connection to the 380 V network.
Used in catering establishments.
Compact, widely used in everyday life. All you need to do is plug into a power outlet.
The second type is what you need. Let’s take a closer look at what types it qualifies for:
How the electric grill works
The principle of operation of an electric grill is as simple as possible: the food is placed between the heating elements and the device is closed. This way the dish is evenly heated and fried.
Unlike the usual frying pan, the Electric Grill DOES NOT accumulate fat in itself. it flows into a special compartment.
The electric grill will be an excellent purchase for you if you follow the calorie intake.
Products are placed directly on the work surface. Function without additional devices.
Such electric grills can be of several types:
Heating element is located on one side only.
In some cases, the meat has to be turned over, respectively, the cooking process takes twice as long.
The dish is fried on both sides at the same time, which significantly speeds up cooking.
The function of setting the distance between the heating elements increases the range of dishes that can be cooked on the electric grill.
Can work as a single-sided or double-sided device.
Best suited for active home use, as they have a wide range of modes.