How To Cut A Pipe At A 45 Degree Angle
How to cut a pipe straight
To make the cut from a general-purpose tool even, you should use special fixtures to fix the workpiece. These can be templates, vices or miter boxes. In addition, it is very important to correctly mark the future cut and during work make sure that the cutting line does not go to the side.
Paper mold for pipe
To cut exactly at 45 °, you can make your own paper mold. To do this, you should:
- Measure or calculate the length of the outer circumference.
- From the corner of a sheet of A4 printer paper, draw a line at an angle of 45 °. If there is no protractor, such a line can be obtained by folding together the edges of the sheet adjacent to the corner.
- Put the circumference on it.
- This will be the hypotenuse. Build an isosceles right triangle to it. One side will be the edge of the paper, the second should be lowered perpendicular to the second edge from the deferred point.
- Cut the resulting triangle. this will be the template for cutting pipes at an angle of 45 °.
Paper mold for pipe
It should be wrapped around the workpiece, aligning the ends of the hypotenuse. The cut will pass along the mowing line of the legs. The line should be marked with a marker or paper tape. Further, along the marked mowing line, you can evenly cut a piece with the required bevel.
The method is suitable for pipes with a diameter of up to 63 millimeters.
Simple tooling for cutting
The versatile pendulum circular saw is perfect for cutting straight and angled thick-walled pipes of large diameter, both round and rectangular in cross-section. Such devices work in the procurement areas of small industries and on construction sites, where it is required to evenly cut a large amount of reinforcement to size.
The circular saw together with the electric motor is fixed on the pendulum arm and can be brought into the working area with great precision and then cut in one plane.
Advanced devices are equipped with an articulated arm that allows you to change the direction of the cut. In the models of the lower and middle price segment, the orientation of the mowing line of the cut is carried out by means of a rotary table equipped with clamps for reliable fixation of the workpiece. In addition, the table can tilt to the side up to 45 °. The turntable and lifting mechanism are equipped with protractors that allow you to set the angle with an accuracy of a degree.
To securely fix the pipe at a given angle, a clamp and two steel corners with a side close to the pipe diameter are used. The short corner is fixed on the rotary work table using its standard screw clamps. Fastening and cutting process step by step:
- Set the turntable to the required cutting angle and secure it.
- Lay the pipe between the corners and tighten them with a manual clamp so that the marked cutting line remains free.
- Start engine.
- After a set of revolutions, smoothly bring the disc to the metal surface and cut the workpiece evenly. At the beginning and end of the cut, when the cross-section of the metal being cut is maximum, you should not apply large forces to the handle of the pendulum.
The main advantages of this method:
- High performance, also with thick walls
- Smooth and smooth cut requiring minimal deburring and filing
- No need to build patterns.
Reception and disadvantages are inherent:
- Applicability to small and medium diameters
- High cost of the machine
- Low mobility
- High power consumption and noise
Oblique cut at 45 °
Cutting the end of the pipe exactly at 45 ° is possible without the use of complex tools. It is enough to apply the locksmith ingenuity. You will need to do the following:
- Cut a piece of paper into a square.
- Fold diagonally. Learn a right-angled isosceles triangle.
- Wrap the workpiece with a sheet so that the leg of the triangle is perpendicular to the axis, and the hypotenuse forms an ascending spiral.
- Secure the sheet with tape.
- Fix the workpiece and cut along the oblique edge of the sheet. Turns out at 45 °.
Bevel cutting of pipes
There is another popular method. The end of the blank is immersed in a container with liquid at the required angle You need to cut off along the border of wet and dry areas.
This is a U-shaped template, in the side walls of which slots have already been made at specified angles. The pipe is abutted against the wall of the miter box farthest from the master and pressed there with a hand or a hand clamp. The hand saw blade is inserted into the corresponding grooves and sawed. If necessary, cut at a different angle, you can make additional cuts in the walls of the miter box.
Precision cutting machines
Band saws are distinguished by high stability of the plane of the blade movement and cutting accuracy. They are also widely used in the procurement areas of small-scale and medium-scale production. They are characterized by versatility, reliability and high performance.
For private use, the Italian company MASS offers a compact band sawing unit. It is equipped with a manual clamping device and can evenly cut pipes with a diameter of up to 65 mm, as well as rolled products of any profile of the same thickness.
The rotary device allows you to set an arbitrary cutting direction from 0 to 45 °. Cutting blade frequency. up to 45 strokes per minute. An economical 370 watt motor allows you to use a regular home single-phase 220 V power grid.
For industrial use
Such equipment is used in industries where the volume of work is large or it is necessary to cut pipes of large diameter. In order to cut straight, use:
- Lathe. Suitable for high-precision cutting of workpieces, chamfering, making shoulders, transitions of diameters and other shaped processing. Allows lathe and threading, both internal and external. The length of the part is limited by the overhang of the machine head. Diameter. overhang of chuck jaws.
- Tape machines. They are used to cut large diameter pipe without removing it from the trench or collection point. They also work on deformed products.
- Disc cutting machines. Highly automated machine with pendulum saw and workpiece feeding mechanism. Often included in production mowing lines, used for high-performance cutting of rolled products into equal pieces.
- Manual disk installations. Mobile equipment is used to cut the rolled metal exactly right at the installation site. Equipped with a multifunctional clamp that allows you to securely fix products of different diameters and cut them evenly without damaging the edges. The rotary work table allows you to cut exactly at any angle. The most advanced models are equipped with an orbital welding system. This allows you not only to cut, but also to connect the segments.
CNC Pipe Cutting Machine
Some tips for cutting pipes
Sometimes in the household it is required to cut to connect the pipeline at different angles or along the axis. The main tool for these works is a universal angle grinder and discs for metal.
Figure: 9 Slitting the pipeline
Techniques for cutting pipes at an angle of circular cross-section
Round pipes of different diameters are cut at an angle when changing the direction of the pipeline, while it should be borne in mind that a straight cut at the desired angle, unlike a rectangular section, will not lead to a tight joint of the edges. Therefore, special patterns are used, in which the marked edge has a curved shape, which makes it possible to obtain a high connection density.
Cutting at 45 degrees
But, if you still need to cut a round pipe made of steel or various types of plastics, then for this you need a piece for cutting pipes at an angle, the shape of which is calculated manually or by machine. The task is greatly simplified if at an angle of forty-five degrees it is necessary to cut a metal profile of a square section.
For a quick cut, you can use an ordinary sheet of paper folded diagonally, with which you mark the surface for the future cut. Using folded paper, proceed as follows:
- Carry out on the straight surface of the profile in the place where the cut is made, strictly perpendicular to the line;
- Apply a diagonally folded sheet of paper to the side surface with the sharp end to the mowing line so that the top edge of the paper triangle is flush with the top side of the metal profile.
Figure: 2 Homemade template for cutting pipe at 45 degrees
- Draw the line with a pencil along the side of the sheet at an angle of 45 degrees, after which the paper corner is applied to the other side and outlined with a pencil (it is better to use a thin marker).
For sawing, you can use an angle grinder with a disc for metal, first drawing a thin line along the markings, and then gradually deepening it until the edges are completely separated.
How to cut 45 degree pipe with high precision at home
When working on the installation of gas or water mains, it is often necessary to change the direction of the mowing line, while the pipeline is cut and then welded at the desired angle. Most often, the direction changes by 90 degrees, and the question arises. how to cut the pipe at 45 degrees in order to accurately connect the joints when welding.
It is possible to cope with the problem with cut edge angles of 45 or 90 degrees with the appropriate knowledge and techniques that will help save not only time, but also materials during the work. At other angles of rotation, it is impossible to solve the problem with a ruler and a sheet of paper. you will have to call computer equipment for help.
Fig. 1 How to cut a pipe at an angle of 45 degrees
- Cutting at 45 degrees
- Making a template for trimming a metal profile
- DIY pipe miter box
- Cutting at 90 degrees
- Collar insert
- Techniques for cutting pipes at an angle of circular cross-section
- Paper mold for pipe
- Tools used
- For individual use
- For industrial use
- How to cut a large 45 degree pipe
- How to cut a cast iron pipe
- Some tips for cutting pipes
- Performing a longitudinal cut
- Oblique cut
Performing a longitudinal cut
To make a high-quality even longitudinal cut, you can use a simple device in the form of a metal corner. It is securely fixed on a flat wooden surface with screws and the pipe is pressed against it with a heavy load. An angle grinder makes a longitudinal cut of the pipe top, slightly resting the disc on the surface of the angle.
The corner can be attached to the pipe with clamps and a cut can be made along the upper wall of the corner in the same way.
To obtain branches of metal pipelines in the form of tees, a collar insert is used, for which it is necessary to cut the edge of a round pipe adjacent to the walls of another at a right angle. To implement the method, proceed as follows:
- Cut the edges of the workpiece at a right angle using the previously described method.
- On a round end surface, four equidistant points are marked with a marker, located at angles of 90 and 180 degrees to each other.
- The circumference is measured, the resulting diameter is divided by 3. From two diametrically located points, the resulting distance is laid, after which these points are connected to two other smooth arc, drawing the fishing line with a marker.
Fig. 5 Example of a collar section of a pipe
- An angle grinder is cut along the marking and the semicircular segments are separated, after which the part is ready for welding. With minor inaccuracies in mating, it can be sealed with a sledgehammer, attached to the round surface of another element.
Pipe cutting at an angle of 45 and 90 degrees
If you need to cut the pipe at an angle of 45 degrees, which is often required when laying water and heating pipes. Steel, cast iron pipes that are cylindrical in shape are often used. In the installation work, rectangular or shaped pipes are used. However, the pipe of the angle grinder should be cut correctly so that it can be easily connected later. Therefore, you should carefully mark the pipe.
Some craftsmen try to mark the place of the cut using a tape measure, but we warn you that the result is likely to be negative. And for a positive result, consider the following professional recommendation.
Take a sheet of paper or cardboard, preferably A4, fold it diagonally and wrap it around the pipe where you plan to cut it evenly. The edges of the paper must be exactly aligned with each other. And the side of the paper that is closer to the end of the pipe was perpendicular to the axis. Then mark the cut line in a circle.
If you need to cut exactly at an angle of 90 degrees, then solve the problem quickly using paper or masking tape again. Wrap around the pipe so that the ends match. Make even lines and saw off.
How to cut a profile pipe straight?
Masters advise using a square when cutting a profile pipe. To do this, apply the square in turn to the sides, and turn and mark with smooth movements. After action, fix the pipe and cut. Prepare yourself a template that will come in handy in the future and save time. Better to produce an angle grinder, so the cut will be smoother.
How to cut a cast iron pipe?
When working with a cast iron pipe, keep in mind that it is a brittle material. Therefore, we will point out a method with which it will be possible to cut such a metal without damage.
Before starting work, make notes for the cut as you would for steel pipes. Place a piece of wood for support. Run your angle grinder around the circumference of the pipe making small cuts. Then take the chisels, insert them into the groove and hit hard with a hammer. Be aware that bakelite-based cutting discs are used to cut cast iron pipes.
If you don’t have an angle grinder at hand to cut a cast-iron sewer pipe or other purposes, use a metal hacksaw, chisels or special pipe cutters.
How to cut a gas pipe?
Cutting a gas pipe is dangerous, so it is best to entrust it to professionals. But if you are confident in your strength, then take an angle grinder, welding, hacksaw, gas welding to cut the metal.
- Shut off the gas riser before work. Then release the rest of the gas from the pipe. To do this, light the gas in the burners and wait for it to go out.
- After the actions taken, cut. Using the welding method, the metal base burns when exposed to high temperature. The result is fast and effective. But remember that cutting or rooting gas pipes again requires experience.
How to cut a pipe straight angle grinder?
When dealing with construction or plumbing tasks, you need to know how to cut the pipe straight from an angle grinder. In the article, we will consider quick and easy ways of how to properly cut an angle grinder pipe so that the result is perfect.
Methods for cutting large diameter pipes
There are a number of reliable tools for cutting large diameter pipes such as sewers. Next, we will consider some of them in detail:
- An angle grinder is an inexpensive and affordable option, but it is considered not the safest when working with such materials. Once you decide to use this method, then be careful and use protective equipment.
- A roller machine (pipe cutter) is such a tool adapted for such manipulations. The device is attached and material removal begins. The clamping force is adjusted using mechanical devices. It is important to note that the machine models differ in shape, so consider the ratio with the pipe before use.
- Flame cutting is the most popular option for cutting larger diameter pipes, sheet metal. The cut occurs due to the action of a high intensity flame, the metal melts and leaves the cut zone with a gas flow. This method is convenient and effective.
How to cut a pipe lengthwise correctly?
A quick way to cut a pipe lengthwise with an angle grinder:
- Focus on the markup.
- Use for such a case the painter’s thread, which has found distribution when marking walls.
- Before starting work, fix the pipe and with small movements, carefully saw the pipe.
- Better not to rush, but delicately and slowly process the parts of the pipe, so the cutting disc does not jump off the marking lines. Remember safety.
How to cut thin walled pipes?
Thin-walled pipes are made of non-ferrous metals: aluminum, copper. Such work should be done delicately, since there is a high probability of material deformation. Fillers such as sand are used for cutting. Actions can be carried out using an angle grinder, a special machine.