How To Cut A Skirting Board At A 45 Degree Angle
How to cut a part or product at an angle of 45 degrees 6 ways to cut a part or product at an angle of 45 degrees
Method of joining platbands without trimming
Platbands today are often not cut at an angle in order to then join together, but make a joint at right angles. This way of joining platbands does not require any special trimming, which is very convenient. In addition, this method looks more modern and attractive.
Angle trimming with a miter box
If, nevertheless, it is necessary to cut this or that part at an angle, then you should stock up on a miter box with a simple device that looks like a small box. The miter box has slots for a saw or a long sharp knife. Of course, these slots are made to form an even and precise 45 degree angle.
However, a miter box can have many slots at once, at different angles. This is convenient because with one tool, you can cut any part at different angles.
There are adjustable miter boxes on sale. The slots in such a miter box can be adjusted, which allows the master to set exactly the angle that is required at the moment. In particular, it is quite easy to move the slots of such a miter box to a 45 degree position.
Now the workpiece can be trimmed elementary. A baguette, platband or plinth is placed in the miter box, after which a saw is inserted into the slots and the excess is simply cut off. The angle ends up being perfect, exactly 45 degrees.
What if there is no miter box? Very simple. It is necessary to make a template according to which it will not be difficult to transfer the necessary markup to the blanks. As a template, you can choose thick cardboard or something else that will be appropriate in this case.
How to cut a part or product at a 45 degree angle
Sometimes you need to trim a particular part or product at a certain angle. As a rule, you need to trim baguettes, fillets, platbands, baseboards and other similar interior elements at an angle of 45 degrees. Everyone can cope with this task. The main thing is not to rush, not to be nervous and everything will work out.
Buy ready-made corner pieces
For example, with regard to baguettes or fillets, special corner elements are sold for them, which perfectly fit into the corner and do not need to be trimmed. You just need to glue them in place and press them well.
If a protractor, miter box or ready-made corner pieces are not available, you will have to look for a suitable template. Of course, the template must have the correct angle. It is applied to the workpiece and the workpiece is marked with a pencil. This is one of the easiest ways to achieve the desired result.
Trimming parts at an angle using a protractor
You can trim the part at an angle using a protractor. This is a measuring tool that is easy to use, and which is designed specifically to measure angles or make the necessary markings on certain parts. The protractor is applied to the part, the angle is marked and the markings are made with a pencil. Using this marking, it will not be difficult to cut the workpiece at the desired angle.
The walls, floor and ceiling will not always be perfectly flat in practice. Most often they have irregularities. For this reason, there is no need to cut the workpieces at clear and precise angles, because they will not fit perfectly anyway.
Instead, it is sometimes convenient to trim the same skirting board in place. That is, first, one plinth plinth is glued, cut it in the corner, and the second plank is cut under it.
Of course, it is hardly possible to perfectly cut the workpiece. However, if a small gap appears in the corner, it can always be covered with putty or gypsum plaster. Nothing special.
: How to cut the corner of a skirting board or baguette without a miter box
How to trim a ceiling plinth using a miter box template
Something resembling a miter box can be done by applying the required cut angles to paper, cardboard or wood. Draw two parallel mowing lines, locate the center, and then set the required angles using a protractor. The advantage of this method is that you can postpone any angle, including more than 90 degrees. Of course, before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth, you must first check the angle between the walls with a corner and measure it with a protractor.
The technique for cutting a ceiling plinth using a painted miter box is exactly the same as using the miter box itself. We press the plinth plank to one of the parallel lines, then set the hacksaw at the desired angle, which is already outlined, and cut it off.
How to trim the corner of a ceiling plinth using ceiling markings
Marking the skirting board on the ceiling also allows you to cut the corner straight and precisely. The only drawback of this method is that it is difficult and inconvenient to keep the plinth strip suspended during the cutting process. Otherwise, you can mark the angle for cutting in this way even more accurately than in other ways. Applying the plinth to the installation site, all wall flaws and deviations in the angle size are immediately taken into account.
Cutting the corner of the skirting board:
- The first step is to cut two workpieces at a 90 degree angle.
- Then we first apply one plank, resting its end against the perpendicular wall. We draw a line on the ceiling, outlining the contour of the plinth.
- We remove this bar and apply a striker, also pushing its end against the wall. We outline the line.
- The intersection point of the marked lines will be the mark at which the skirting board needs to be cut.
- Again, we apply each bar in turn and mark the cutting point on them.
- We draw the line from this point to the other edge of the plinth.
We cut off the skirting boards along the outlined lines, join them and apply them to the installation site. Please note that this method is easier to cut inside corners.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box
The miter box is a simple carpentry tool that allows you to cut the workpiece at the desired angle. Most often it is a tray made of plastic, wood or metal with vertical slots for cutting at an angle of 90 and 45. There are also more complex designs of a miter box for cutting at angles of 90, 60 and 45 degrees. For more professional work, a miter box with a rotary mechanism is used, where the hacksaw can be fixed at any angle to the workpiece.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box:
- We apply the plinth to the ceiling, measure the required length.
- Then we install the plinth plinth in the miter box so that the position coincides with the position of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The plinth strip should be pressed against the far wall of the miter box.
- We hold the plinth with your left hand.
- We choose such a position of the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and at the same time the handle of the hacksaw is as close as possible to the left hand.
- We cut the workpiece without making excessive pressure on the saw.
- The next step is to trim the plinth striker. We also install it to the far wall of the miter box.
- Press and hold with your right hand.
- We choose a position for the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and the handle of the hacksaw approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the skirting board.
Next, we join the trimmed plinths and check the cutting accuracy. For a more accurate orientation, they also say that to complete the inner corner, you must start cutting from the front of the skirting board. Wooden skirting boards will most likely need to be filed after trimming.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box outside corner:
- In order not to be mistaken with the dimensions, it is better to start by marking the inner corner, and then cut out the outer corner. Otherwise, a situation is possible when the planks may not be enough in length.
- It is necessary to attach the plank to the ceiling and outline the dimensions.
- Install the plinth strip and press it against the nearest wall.
- Hold it with your left hand and choose a position for the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the left hand.
- We cut off the workpiece.
- Install the striker to the nearest wall, hold it with your right hand.
- We set the hacksaw at a 45 degree angle when the handle approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the workpiece and join the corner.
Trimming the workpiece with a miter box is only suitable if the angle between the walls is even 90 degrees. If the accuracy is poor, you will have to use other methods.
The ceiling plinth performs not only a decorative function, visually separating the walls from the ceiling, but can also hide the joints of various finishing materials of the ceiling and walls. Not every interior design involves the use of a skirting board, but more often than not, the overall appearance of the room seems incomplete without it. There is nothing difficult in attaching this fillet element, almost all types of skirting boards are attached with glue. But the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the premises can confuse many. Indeed, even in the simplest room there are internal corners, where the plinths of the ceiling plinth must be precisely and beautifully docked. And in a more complex configuration of the room, you will also have to dock the skirting boards, performing the outer corner. In this article, we will look at various options for how to cut a ceiling plinth with and without tools at hand.
First, you need to figure out how to cut the ceiling plinth, the answer to it depends on the material from which the fillet is made. At the moment, we sell ceiling skirting boards made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (foam), polyurethane and wood.
PVC ceiling skirting boards are the cheapest. They are easily dents and creases that cannot be repaired, so the product must be thrown away. Also their disadvantage is electrostaticity, the ability to attract dust. You can cut them with a sharp construction knife or a hacksaw.
Styrofoam ceiling skirting boards are also cheap. This material is very fragile, it crumbles easily during processing, therefore, it is necessary to cut the expanded polystyrene with a sharp knife or a hacksaw on metal, without making too strong pressing forces.
Ceiling skirting boards made of extruded polystyrene foam are slightly more expensive than polystyrene foam, they are denser and more difficult to cut. However, they crumble less, making them easier and more comfortable to work with. They are cut with a construction knife and a hacksaw for metal.
Polyurethane ceiling skirting boards are the most expensive at the moment. They are durable, elastic and moisture resistant, easily cut with a construction knife and do not crumble. The disadvantage of polyurethane skirting boards is their dependence on temperature changes. For example, over a gas stove, a polyurethane skirting board will permanently deform and begin to crackle slightly. If you try to process or cut such a plinth, it may bend or deform in other ways.
Wooden ceiling skirting boards are dense, heavy pieces that can only be cut with a hacksaw, preferably with fine, dense teeth. You can also use a cloth for metal.
Before proceeding to the enumeration of the ways of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, I would like to note that there is a possibility not to cut the plinth with great precision. Available for sale special corner pieces, into which the edges of the skirting board are inserted. In this case, it is enough to cut the plinth strip at an angle of 90, and the corner element will hide all the flaws. But this method is not always used, since the dimensions of the corner elements are slightly larger than the skirting boards themselves, therefore the corners in the room will stand out against the general background. Sometimes it can look bulky. However, if the design of the room allows the use of corner pieces for ceiling skirting boards, it makes sense to use them. Further instructions will come in handy for those who nevertheless decided to accurately cut the skirting boards at a given angle.
DIY impromptu miter box
Making a miter box with your own hands is also not difficult.
Method 1. You will need three wooden planks or boards, which must be put together in a U-shaped box. Then the required angles are marked on the walls of the box, and a cut is made with a hacksaw. As a result, you should get a wooden miter box in which grooves are cut.
Method 2. A combination of an impromptu miter box and a template with marked lines. For the convenience of cutting, it is necessary to build something in which it will be convenient to hold the plinth strip, since it is difficult to keep it suspended. It is enough to put together a corner from two wooden planks or boards. On paper, you need to draw a mowing line with angles for cutting at 45 degrees or at any other. Then we apply the baseboard blank to the corner, press it with our hand, as described in the technology for using the miter box, move the piece of paper with the template under the edge where we are going to cut it, and cut it off. In the process of cutting, we focus on the line drawn on the paper.
Method 3. As an impromptu miter box, you can use anything, anything. That we form an angle. For example, a table pushed against a wall.
It is not necessary to fix the plinths of the ceiling plinths before you cut the striker and try on their location. Only after the two strikers are perfectly aligned in the corner, you can start attaching them to the ceiling. Minor flaws can be finished with a file or a nail file in the case of wooden and polyurethane skirting boards. To fit the foam products, you will have to wield a sharp knife.
If suddenly, even after adjusting the skirting boards, a small gap remains between them, do not despair, it can be repaired with putty. Cutting the ceiling plinth yourself is not difficult. But in order not to spoil many products, it is better to pre-practice on small blanks.
Using a ready-made miter box
A miter box will help you to cut the skirting board at an angle of 45 degrees. By the way, do you know how to use the miter box? The specialists of our portal have prepared a step by step for you.
Self-made miter box
- 1. First, you need to assemble the box of the future tool. To do this, it is necessary to drill holes in its side walls, for future fastening with screws and, having smeared the ends of the parts with glue, connect them in such a way that both walls are strictly perpendicular to the bottom and parallel to each other, after which we fix them with screws.
- 2. Using a protractor, mark an angle of 45 degrees with a pencil, if necessary, add additional mowing lines for the grooves. The most important part is the cuts, it is best to make them with the same hacksaw blade as you will be cutting products. It is necessary to cut by holding the blade, avoiding strong pressure on the tool, first we cut one side, then the other.
- 3. We start processing the material. With a clamp or screws, we fix the miter box on the working surface. At the place of the future cut on the plinth or board, we make a mark. How to cut at an angle of 45 degrees becomes clear if you press it tightly against the side wall and align the mark with the slot on the template. We insert the hacksaw into the groove and cut the workpiece, while the work of the blade is limited to cuts, which allows you to make the cut as smoothly and accurately as possible.
- 4. Before sawing the skirting board, make sure that the corner of the room is really straight and, if it is not, you need to adjust the cutting angle of the workpiece. To do this, measure the inner corner of the wall joint, and divide the result by two. If you do not have a professional rotary miter box that can change the cutting angle by the required amount, then to achieve the result, you need to saw additional grooves at the desired angle in a homemade miter box. This way you can cut the skirting board for the most accurate alignment.
Now you know how to cut a workpiece at a 45 degree angle. Perhaps the time has come to move from theory to practical action. The team of the mebeldok.com portal is sure that you will definitely succeed. Stay with us!
How to cut at a 45 degree angle
Often during repairs, you can face a situation when it is necessary to saw off a piece from a part, at an angle of strictly 45 degrees. Usually, this is needed to connect two parts at right angles, 90 degrees, such as: door trim, plinth, pieces of furniture and much more. An experienced craftsman, professionally engaged in repair work, can often do without special devices, and practically by eye is able to cut the necessary part smoothly and clearly. But if you are a novice repairman, and you have a desire to do the work as efficiently as possible, without damaging expensive parts, then you just need to purchase a miter box a special device that allows you to saw off the material at a given angle without any special tweaks.
To work, you need to have: a miter box, a hacksaw, a protractor with a pencil, a workpiece made of wood, a screwdriver with screws or a clamp.
How to cut the corners of a ceiling plinth
This is an instruction manual on how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth. Considered options for solutions like.
Skirting board cutting technology
For efficient and high-quality work, you need to choose a tool in accordance with the material of the baseboard and choose a cutting method. If you have a miter box, then there will be no particular difficulties in the process. If it is not there, then two options are possible: cut according to a template and measurements on the ceiling, or make this tool yourself.
Selection of tools for cutting ceiling skirting boards
To properly and accurately cut the skirting board, you need to use a suitable cutting tool. It is chosen depending on the material from which the fillets are made:
- Styrofoam. It is characterized by low strength and is relatively inexpensive, and therefore foam models are becoming more and more popular. Their strength does not particularly affect the performance, since usually the ceiling plinth is not subjected to mechanical stress. A regular utility knife is suitable for cutting.
Extruded polystyrene foam. A cheap material with a density several times higher than that of foam. Because of this, cutting it is a little more difficult, and therefore a sharp and thin knife is used for this purpose.
- Wood. Such skirting boards are more difficult to process, although they have many advantages (environmental friendliness, durability). They cost more
especially if made of hardwood. Before cutting a wood skirting board, stock up on a hacksaw.
- In addition to the tool for direct cutting of the baguette, you will need a miter box. This is a special device made of wood, plastic or metal in the form of a box with notches on the sides. A hacksaw or knife can be inserted into it at the desired angle. Thus, the cutting angle is as accurate as possible.
- We knock three planks of 5015 cm with a long edge into the shape of a three-sided, rectangular box. Please note that an angle of 90 degrees must be respected between the side rails and the transverse board.
- Before cutting the corners, mark the vertical direction with a simple pencil.
Using a protractor, mark an angle of 45 degrees on the bars. Instead of a protractor, you can use a school square. In it, one angle is 90 degrees, and the other two are 45 degrees.
Rules for cutting ceiling plinths by marking
This method is used to cut the skirting board in cases where there is no miter box or parts from which it can be made.
To do this, you need to make markings on the wall in this order:
- We put the baguette in the corner to the place of fastening.
Along its one edge we draw the base line for the attachment level on the ceiling.
We apply the fillet in the same way to the perpendicularly drawn mowing line on the ceiling and again draw a straight line along one side. We should have two line segments that intersect at one point.
We again apply two skirting boards in turn and mark this point on them.
We repeat the same procedure now on the wall to mark the place of cutting from below on the products.
We connect two points with a line. It can run at an angle of 38-45 degrees, as walls and corners in living rooms are often uneven.
- Cut off the baguette along the mowing line.
Technique for cutting ceiling skirting boards
This method can be used if your corners are even and you want to trim the baguette exactly 45 degrees. To do this, before cutting the ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to draw a miter box on thick paper. Draw two parallel mowing lines and mark the angles at the desired degrees using a protractor.
We place the fillet in this case in the same way as on a traditional miter box. Please note that you need to cut the skirting board holding the tool in a strictly vertical position.
Method for cutting a ceiling plinth without a miter box
To neatly dock fillets in the inner corners, you can do without a miter box.
We carry out the work in the following order:
- We apply the end part of the baguette to the sheet of paper and outline the outline of the convex side. It is more convenient to use a small section of the baseboard (if any).
Cut out the resulting template.
We transfer the contour to the surface of the baguette with a simple pencil.
Cut along the drawn curve.
For fitting, we apply one plinth tightly with the end part to the wall, and then the second.
- If there are small gaps, then they can be processed with a clerical knife or subsequently sealed with a sealant.
Features of cutting ceiling plinths in a miter box
It is necessary to work with this device with extreme care so as not to blunt the tool and not leave cuts in unnecessary places. In the process, we adhere to the following instructions:
- We fix the baguette in the miter box in the same way as it is planned to place it on the wall. The side that will be pressed against the ceiling on the miter box should rest against the sidewall.
We insert a cutting tool (hacksaw or knife) into the required gap and cut the fillet.
- We process the joint of the ceiling plinth and apply it to the wall to check the correctness. The foam molding can be corrected with a sharp knife if the roughness of the end is about 2 mm. The wooden skirting board can be simply sanded with sandpaper. For ease of use, it can be glued to a wooden block.
- Measure the length of the plinth from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave the fishing line on the wrong side with a pencil, indicating the desired length. It should be noted that the edge (its upper part) should protrude slightly outward.
- The plinth is moved to the miter box and cut off.
- The adjacent strip must also be measured with a margin and cut off in a mirror image to the first part.
Trying on the ceiling plinth: the joining of the parts should be perfectly flat. If the result is not achieved and there are irregularities at the joints, you can trim the edges with an ordinary knife to a perfect fit.
Checking the smooth docking
The first way with a miter box
The miter box usually looks like a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool represents the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool, designed for cutting wooden parts at an angle of 90 and 45. There are types of such a device for professional work, with a swivel mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
Ceiling corners are divided into internal and external, the method of joining them is slightly different.
How to cut the corner of a ceiling plinth straight
A beautiful and neat edging of the ceiling hides the joints between the coatings and is an additional element of the room’s decor. But in order for the ceiling plinth to look really beautiful, you need to be able to properly join its corner joints.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth evenly can be found in our article.
Related article: how to properly glue the ceiling plinth with glue and putty.
Method two without additional tools
For the inner corner, you can use the simplest way of perfect joining by marking on the ceiling. Another example of how to cut a corner nice and even.
- A fillet is applied to the ceiling, tightly pressing its even edge into a corner.
- Draw a line along the long side of the baseboard on the ceiling.
- The same action is done with the adjacent part on the other side.
- Mark the point of intersection of the lines.
The end result is an even 45 ° angle if you draw the line from the point of intersection to the edge of the part. Note that the above marking method works only with perfectly flat corners.
- We make the correct measurements.
- We install the plinth strip in the miter box so that this position exactly coincides with the placement on the ceiling.
- The plinth should be firmly pressed against the opposite wall of the miter box. Hold and press with your free hand.
- We put a hacksaw at an angle of 45 in a special hole and cut off the part.
- The adjacent part must be cut in the same way, only in a mirror image, as shown in.
With a good eye and accuracy of hand action, you can use a homemade template that resembles an imitation of a miter box. To do this, take a thin board or thick plywood and draw a layout in the form of a horizontal rectangle. Using a protractor, mark 45 on the right and left sides of the rectangle. Draw mowing lines connecting opposite edges. You can now cut the ceiling plinth using this layout. The actions are simple and similar to the description above in the first option. Only the ceiling parts should not be inserted, but superimposed on the drawing and combined with the hacksaw layout of the layout.
Special accessories for docking