How to properly wind the line on the trimmer
How to tuck line into the trimmer: a few simple tips
Thanks to modern power tools, a person is given a lot of opportunities to reduce manual labor. These innovations include the trimmer, which greatly facilitates the process of mowing and lawn care. This device reduces the time for gardening work, turning difficult physical work into entertainment. The trimmer uses a fishing line as a cutting tool. It stretches strongly and thus mows grass of almost any height. It is quite easy to operate a power tool, but the problem arises when the cutting material runs out. Not everyone will immediately figure out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. Although this is a simple operation, it is not always clear to a person who is faced with this task for the first time how to properly wind it on a reel. over, the instructions do not contain information on how to choose and replace the trimmer line.
How to quickly and correctly tuck the line into the trimmer?
Once you figure out how to change the cutting material, further use and maintenance of the trimmer will be greatly simplified. To wind the trimmer line, several operations should be performed, namely:
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right. You will have a head with the remnants of an old thread in your hands. Open it with a screwdriver, or wring out the latch and turn the cover in the direction of the arrow. This operation should be carried out carefully, since there is a spring inside, which, straightening, can throw out all the internal parts of the drum. To change the line in the trimmer, you need to take out the spool and remove the rest of the material.
- Take 5 meters of new thread and fold it in half. There is a hole in the middle of the spool where you need to insert the material. There is also an arrow indicating the direction to reel in the trimmer line. It is important to consider some points. If there are two holes in the spool, then half of the trimmer line should be tucked in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. When finishing inserting the material, it is better to leave 15-20 cm free.
- Assemble the drum, reinstall the spring and washers. Then, while holding the spool, thread the ends of the line into the holes on the sides of the nozzle. Then put the head in place, pulling on the cutting material.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
How to Wind a Trimmer Head
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads may vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Now you need to understand how to properly remove the head from the trimmer and how to pull the drum out of it.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the consumption of fuel or energy increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). It is necessary to ensure that the line sits evenly in the reel.
Do not forget that thick thread will be shorter than thin thread.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Carefully pass the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding of the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to inspect the coil head. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the winding direction, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before that threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
- Remained to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
How to wind the line onto the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While it is very easy to change your line, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes. you just have to constantly practice it. This article will look at changing line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
Although winding the line is a very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring a thread, think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less and therefore lack line. Do not be afraid to measure out a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a hurry, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This will cause the line to come out of the reel and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This mistake is the most common one. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should not use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, you do not need to use a thread on young grass if you need to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until it has been fully wound and collected. Although this is obvious, some people do this in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
It is quite common for beginners to make mistakes, so you need to follow the tips given in this article.
See below for how to replace the line on the Patriot trimmer.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not an easy task. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future, all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
It is worth reading this guide to find out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the coils of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The line spool is the bottom end of the trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you first need to find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- From a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.
How to wind the line on a trimmer reel: winding methods and video
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A trimmer will help to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
- Features of the use of trimmers
- Which line to choose
- Thickness selection
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the more dry and coarse weeds it is capable of overpowering.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
Using the wrong thread can damage the tool. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the machine’s motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
The first way to wind the line
The required amount of line has been cut off. Now you need to carefully examine the bobbin in order to understand what type it belongs to. It depends on how the line is to be wound on it.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they differ slightly from each other. Regardless of the type, the coil is divided into two sections. upper and lower. In the first type, the dividing edge does not close into a ring and has a depression.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it there are small through holes on the sides on both sides. The method of winding the thread must be studied depending on which of the above types the coil belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter segment must be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but in such a way that one half is about fifteen centimeters longer.
- Then the place of the fold must be inserted into the recess in the dividing face. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool, the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding directly. You need to wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, you need to hold the threads so that they do not intertwine and the upper half winds up in the upper part of the spool, and the lower half in the lower part. Each half should have about fifteen centimeters free from the end.
- There are small indentations (or, in other words, grooves) in the upper edge of the bobbin for securing the consumable. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these grooves so that they are fixed against each other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable into the tool. the ends attached to the bobbin must be threaded into the corresponding holes in the trimmer head.
- That’s all. The winding process is complete. Now all that remains is to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring fits neatly back between the bobbin and the head. Then you need to insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended that the free ends of the thread be pulled out more. To do this, pull the ends of the consumable one by one so that they are removed from the grooves of the bobbin. You can make sure that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by trying to pull the threads a little. they should freely exit through the holes in the head.
- While pressing the bobbin down, you need to put the cover over it. The cover must be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies are aligned and the bobbin remains fixed between them.
- And finally, the very last action. the head is screwed back into place at the bottom of the tool.
The process is complete. The line is tucked into a reel. The trimmer is ready for further work.
How To Tips for Easy Restring of Weed Eater with 2 strings
Features of the use of trimmers
A trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, flower beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, like a trimmer, exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, trimmer types differ markedly from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, a fishing line can be its cutting element. Of course, the line tucked into the trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the trimmer, the more active the line is used in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the winding of the line on the reel plays an important role in the trimmer operation. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will fit any coil with rare exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, such a species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is due to this feature that threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which can be called rapid wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. This type of thread is often used in gasoline powered tools with an engine over 1.5 horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core is much higher than the cost of other types of yarns.
Second winding method
- A previously prepared segment of six meters in length is required to be bent exactly in the middle and cut. Thus, two segments of the same length are obtained.
- At one end of each segment, you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, it is necessary to bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and fix it for a short time so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one segment is taken. The hook is inserted into the through hole at the top of the bobbin.
- Now you can proceed to the key stage. winding. The direction in which to wind is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin. It is important to ensure that the line is wound strictly within the upper part of the reel. You do not need to wind the thread to the very tip. about fifteen centimeters should remain free from the end.
- In the upper edge of the spool there are small recesses (so-called grooves) for fixing the consumable. The loose “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these grooves.
- The top of the coil is tucked in. Now you need to do the same procedure with the bottom. Take the second piece of thread. The “hook” is threaded through the through hole at the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that, you can start winding the fishing line (within the lower compartment). And for this segment, you also need to leave about fifteen centimeters free from the end. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one into which the end of the first segment was inserted.
The subsequent steps for this type of coils are exactly the same as described for the previous type in paragraphs five to nine.
This is how the line in the trimmer spool changes. There is nothing complicated in the process. And already after several refuelings, all actions will come to automatism.
To visually study the process described above, you can turn to the Internet for help. On the popular YouTube portal there are many different videos showing how to wind the line on the trimmer reel.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
05 July 2018
The trimmer is a great solution for those who have a large garden or lawn near the house that needs to be constantly trimmed. But like any other tool, sometimes it requires intervention. After some time, it will become necessary to replace certain elements, and this will have to be learned.
How can this be done? To replace the main cutting element, you must first select it correctly. In principle, the operator’s manual for lawn mowers should indicate the diameter of the thread to be used in it.
When you have acquired the required cutting element, try to install it correctly. It should be noted that there are a huge number of videos on the Internet that will help you figure out how to properly thread the line into the trimmer coil.
How to change the line on the trimmer
Below we have provided step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer thread.
The first thing to do is to unplug the tool and turn off the engine. Then you need to remove the trimmer head. This can be done using a simple screwdriver and dropping it into the hole of the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just unscrew
They are usually unscrewed in a clockwise direction, but different models have different mechanisms, so it may have to be turned in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason, you cannot figure it out, then we strongly recommend that you refer to the user manual to understand how to disconnect it.
Second. After removing the mowing head, open it. This can be done by means of clamps that are located opposite each other. By pressing on them, you can remove the head cover, and then pull out the spool on which the line is wound. By pulling it out, you can determine what type it belongs to. There are one-piece and two-piece bobbins
We analyze how to thread the line into the trimmer spool in two versions
So, there is only one option. we load the line into a single-section reel. The prepared piece of thread is folded in half and pushed into the spool. Then, we begin to wind both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by the arrow on the spool. At the end of winding, do not forget to make sure that different ends of the thread are looking in different directions.
Option two. winding the line with a two-piece reel. The pre-prepared thread is divided into two parts, and its ends must be fixed: this must be done by placing them in special fasteners
Winding is carried out, as in the first case, according to the arrow indicated on the spool. Both segments should be wound so that they do not intersect. Further, the ends of the thread should be fixed in the grooves and divorced on opposite sides.
The spring is then inserted into the reel and the whole thing is placed in the mowing head. When placing the spool in the trimmer, you need to gently hold the spring parallel while inserting the line into the slots on the mower head. And in the end, it just needs to be secured with the final part, that is, with a lid.
After threading the trimmer, you need to check it. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, but if you make a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, or even better, if you watch the video on how to install a line on a reel in a trimmer.
How to remove the line from the trimmer reel
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and it becomes necessary to pull out the remnants of the old line. Not everyone knows how to do this. Our step-by-step instructions plus a video on how to pull the thread from the trimmer spool, which you can find on the net, will help in solving this issue.
It is necessary to disassemble the mowing head
Remove the cover using the clips
We clean the remnants of cutting material
Hard ? Of course not. But if, nevertheless, doubts creep into you that for some reason you cannot do this, then of course find and watch the video how to pull out or how to wind the thread on the reel of lawn mowers.
How to replace the line on an electric trimmer
In fact, it makes no difference which oblique you use, be it electric or gasoline. Threading is the same. The only difference is that if you use a gas streamer, you get more freedom, since you are not limited by the cable that is present on the electric streamer.
Yes, do not hesitate to use the special videos on installing or threading the line in an electric scooter, which can teach you much faster than simple reading.
How to wind the line on the trimmer correctly
A garden trimmer is a useful tool that makes life much easier for any gardener or private home owner. The grass just rushes in the summer, especially after the rains, so you can’t go anywhere without it. But over time, sooner or later, the line in it will end, and it will be necessary to insert a replaceable skein of new line. Some summer residents get stumped. how to do it yourself? So our article will help them.
Changing the line on the trimmer
This article will tell you how to change the line on the trimmer. For some people, this job may not be easy. But the step-by-step instructions that are available here will help you in this matter.
So the first thing to do is remove the gear cover. We combine the hole on the side of the curly lower washer and the axial recess, insert a screwdriver to fix the shaft from scrolling. Now unscrew the nozzle. The thread on the shaft, as a rule, has a reverse thread, take this into account when unscrewing.
Next, the disassembly of the nozzle follows. There, the lid is fixed with latches through the holes. So you just have to push these clips into the holes and the cover will come off. If the attachment has automatic / semi-automatic line feeding modes, it means that there is a spring inside, which can simply fly out when the lid is opened, be prepared for this. We lay out all the removed parts neatly in order.
Now it’s time to take the line and rewind 5 meters from it, cut off this piece. Pay attention to its thickness, do not wind a line of greater thickness on the unit than specified in the manual for the tool. Otherwise, there will be an increased load on the engine and higher fuel consumption during operation. We bend the measured line in half to find the middle and get a loop.
There are a couple of notches in the middle of the coil, sometimes they are not notches, but holes located opposite each other. With a loop we cling to one of the grooves and wind the fishing line counterclockwise. If the reel has 2 compartments, then we wind each end of the fishing line on them separately. Leave the last 15-20 cm free and clamp them while in the recesses of the coil.
We assemble the device again, pull the free ends of the fishing line into the holes on the body. We put on the cover, snapping the latches into their grooves. Now you can pull out these loose ends of the line.
It remains only to attach the working node in place, as in the first paragraph. Do not forget about reverse rotation on screwing.
Now you can learn how to wind the line around the trimmer. Actually, the whole process was detailed above. No time-consuming operations requiring the presence of specialists. Your lawn mower is ready for use again.
How to properly attach the thread to the trimmer
Winding the line to the trimmer. it’s a simple matter, but it requires some skill. First you need to firmly attach the reel to the rod. Then pass one end of the fluorocarbon through all the ears of the rod and fasten it to the spool. To do this, you need to raise the bow of the coil, wrap the fishing line around and tie with an Arbor knot.
If the thread is stiff or thick, then before winding it should be immersed in warm water, after this procedure it will become more elastic and lie smoother. When winding, it is desirable that there is an assistant who would hold the bobbin with the fishing line. In the process, you should slightly slow down the fluorocarbon with your finger or a soft cloth.
Every fisherman must know how to wind the line on the trimmer and what is backing. Backing is a reel spool reel. For this, a thread with a diameter of 0.1 to 0.3 mm is often used. If you use a thicker fluorocarbon as a reel, it can lead to uneven and uneven laying of the main line. It is highly undesirable to use wet materials for backing, such as nylon and cotton threads. They are unable to dry completely for a long time, which leads to debate, and the replacement of the line on the trimmer. these are additional financial costs.
The amount of thread required for backing can only be determined empirically. This requires two spools. The required amount of working line is first wound onto one, and then the backing is wound in such a way that two millimeters remain to the edges of the side. After this procedure, the spool with wound fluorocarbon is removed and an empty one is put on, on which the thread is wound, only in the reverse order. Backing first, then working nylon.
Beginning fishermen, due to their inexperience, pay little attention to the choice of a rod and tackle, but the right equipment is the key to the success of fishing. Usually, spools are purchased with a spool size from 2000 to 3000, which can accommodate 100 meters of line with a number from 0.2 to 0.3 mm.
In addition to their size, they differ from each other in the way they are wound on a bobbin. You can wind the line on the trimmer spool with straight, cylindrical or tapered laying, it all depends on the model. It is also worth paying attention to the country of origin of fishing tackle. If the reel is of Chinese origin, from a cheap series, then always be prepared for line tangling during casts and the appearance of a “beard”, in addition, the cheap version quickly fails and requires repair or replacement.
With high-quality winding, fluorocarbon should form a strictly parallel stacking relative to the spool with a direct winding method, and inclined with a tapered.
How to wind line on a trimmer
During winding, the handle of the reel should be turned smoothly, without jerks and at high speeds. Care must be taken to ensure that the thread lies in straight parallel lines. Do not wind too thick line that is not intended for this reel.
Smoothly winding fluorocarbon, you should pay attention to how much is left to the side. The optimal distance is 2 mm from the top layer to the edge of the side.
What should be the length of the working thread
How to wind line on a trimmer: examples and recommendations
As a rule, before going fishing, it is necessary to check all the tackle, the reliability of the connecting loops and the sharpness of the hooks. But do not forget about the backing, which is wound on a reel, because the success of fishing in general will depend on how you wind the line around the trimmer. Incorrectly wound, it can lead to a “beard”, which is difficult to untangle and which takes a huge amount of precious time, the casting distance can be significantly reduced, and in general in such a situation it is better not to fish.
Storing nylon thread on a spool
How to wind the line on the trimmer. sorted it out, now let’s talk about storing fishing tackle, in particular fluorocarbon on the spool. For a long service life of the thread, you should adhere to several rules, the implementation of which allows you to save money on the purchase of new equipment.
It is important to remember that after fishing, the line and parts of the reel get wet, they should be well dried. Poorly dried fluorocarbon melts very quickly and becomes unusable. It becomes brittle and can break at the most crucial moment. To prevent this from happening, after seasonal fishing, the line from the reel should be rolled up and spread on the floor so that it dries well. This procedure should be carried out with backing (reeling). You can dry the nylon thread after each fishing trip if you go to it once a month.
You already know how to change the line on the trimmer, it shouldn’t be too difficult. Always store your fishing tackle in a dry place, this will guarantee reliability and durability.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
Preparation. remove and disassemble the spool
On most electric and petrol trims, you will need to remove the spool to replace the line. The FUBAG tool lets you skip this step. To make the instruction universal, we will still consider it in detail:
Secure the shaft. Insert the locking element into the corresponding hole. It can be a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
Unscrew the bobbin case. In our example. strictly clockwise.
Unscrew the cover according to the direction indicated on the body.
Remove the coil for winding.
The preparatory stage has been passed. You can proceed to winding the fishing line.
How to choose a fishing line. length, diameter, restrictions
IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. This replacement is ineffective and dangerous. The rope can injure not only the mower himself, but also those around him.
As for the length, you should rely on the estimated frequency of use of the trimmer. The more often, the more it costs to stock up expenses.
Information about the possible line diameter can be found on the body trimmer spools. Most likely, the range will be indicated there. The thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the appropriate option, taking into account the characteristics of the cultivated area. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
How to properly wind the line on the trimmer reel. Step-by-step guide VIDEO
Insert the resulting loop into the groove.
Lay the line in the direction indicated on the element body.
Insert the short end into the slot on the side of the spool.
Secure the long end in the opposite groove.
Place the spool of coiled line into the spool body.
Pull the line out of the locking grooves.
Put on the cover and fix.
Trim the ends of the line, leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
The replacement of the line is completed and now all that remains is to screw the bobbin onto the trimmer and you can work.
ATTENTION! Typical line problems
No wonder they say: “Forewarned is forearmed“. Knowing about possible problems and the causes of their occurrence, you can prevent them in time. We recommend to remember or leave a memo.
|Line break||Stones, branches and solid objects in the grass||Avoid collision|
|Poor cord quality||Replace with a quality analogue|
|Head outlet wear||Complete replacement of part required|
|The line is unwound||The spring in the coil is weakened||Check spring and replace if damaged|
|The line is sticking||Poor line quality, due to which it can melt under the influence of temperature from the heating head||Reel in less line or replace with a better line|
For a better understanding of the mechanism of the process of changing the line in the spool with a video guide prepared by FUBAG specialists:
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small electric bottom motor trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When disassembling, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (on such trimmers it is not yet possible to put a knife), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now we turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-handed) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled using latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
How to properly wind the line on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the spool (bobbin) of the trimmer. It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try in this article to deal with this issue.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the trimmer. this will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. Having reeled the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound in order to expose it outside. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that the line does not unwind at the time of collecting the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, assemble and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both tendrils are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove should have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. We collect the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the bend into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button. the fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time, it will not work to turn it in the “wrong” direction, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the fishing line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!
Auto feed trimmer: how to wind the line into the removable spool
In some models of trimmers, a reel is installed, in which the line is refueled automatically. It is enough for the owner to fix the ends in the head, after turning on the equipment, the mechanism will perform all the winding manipulations on its own.
You should know this! The strengths of the automatic trimmer head include the ease of winding. The disadvantages of such equipment are frequent breakdowns of a complex mechanism and high cost.
How to wind the line correctly: replacement features depending on the type of removable trimmer coil
To figure out how to thread the line into the removable trimmer head, the following recommendations and video instructions will help.
Things to consider when choosing a fishing line
It is important to choose the right material before inserting and locking the line into the detachable trimmer spool.
Rating of the best petrol trimmer models. A review of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from experts reviewed in this review, will help in a difficult choice among many device models.
How to wind the line around the reel of the double barb trimmer
You can watch the video before work, and also take into account the following recommendations.
- If there is only one track, both threads are wound parallel.
- If there are two tracks, each piece is wound in a separate groove.
- Wind the threads in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head.
- The length of the free ends should not exceed fifteen centimeters.
- Thread the ends into the outlet holes.
- Assemble the head and check the trimmer performance.
Advice! If the loose antennae are of different lengths, do not worry. During operation, excess ends will be cut off.
How to quickly and easily remove the coil with your own hands
Before replacing the old line with a new one in the detachable trimmer spool, you must remove the head.
The process is completely simple, even beginners can do the job:
- Remove the upper fixing cover.
- Take out the removable spool.
- Get the spring out, if any.
- Unscrew the bolt with a screwdriver.
- Remove the housing from the shaft.
Before putting on the line on the trimmer, you need to pay attention to the section of the cord:
- round threads are the most common option. They cut the grass perfectly, even in difficult areas;
- Spiral line is suitable for thin grass. It is not very durable and is not suitable for old thickets;
- a cord with notches and sharp edges is chosen for mowing weeds;
- fishing line with a variety of geometric sections will help mow the lawn more evenly, however, the strength of the consumable is low.
Important! Most wear-resistant consumable is 2-piece round, reinforced internally.
The owner of the lawn mower should know that it is strictly forbidden to use metal wire, fishing thread and various strings.
Before you wind the thread on the trimmer spool, you should pay attention to its size. Most often, a line with a cross section of 2 mm is used.
You can choose a suitable diameter in the following ways:
- See the recommendations in the manufacturer’s instructions for the trimmer.
- Manufacturers often apply cross-section information to the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord must match the diameter of the reel hole.
Important! The thicker the thread is tucked in, the harder the grass it can cut.
How to properly wind the line around the spool of a single-barbed trimmer
Most often, a thread up to five meters long is used. The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Bend the cord with a loop and insert into the groove of the head.
- Wind the thread in the opposite direction to the markings on the body. They indicate the direction of movement of the head.
- Leave the end of the thread up to fifteen centimeters free to increase centrifugal force.
- Thread the free end through the spool outlet.
- Assemble the trimmer head.