How to Sew a Sewer Pipe Along
The most difficult step when replacing an old pipeline is to dismantle a cast-iron pipe that has served its purpose. Previously, pipes made of cast iron were used in the construction of communications, the connection of which took place with cement mortar, sulfur or aluminum. Pipelines assembled using the last two substances can be destroyed with great difficulty, so you need to prepare for lengthy dismantling work. And this article will tell you about the technology of their implementation.
Laying a new sewer often begins with the dismantling of the old
At first, it might seem that disassembling outdated communications is a trifle, because breaking is not to build. However, here we need just the right, qualified approach, because otherwise it is easy to damage the riser connecting several apartments at once. And this is a real disaster, the consequence of which will be the need to replace the common riser and, of course, the unlimited indignation of the neighbors.
Carefully dismantle the cast-iron pipe, following this order:
- Turn off the supply of tap water to the apartment.
- Disconnect the hose from the toilet using an adjustable wrench of the hose supplying water to the flush tank.
- Dismantling the toilet bowl (it is necessary to unscrew the bolts securing it to the floor).
The bathroom after dismantling the toilet
- The release of the bathroom premises from foreign objects and equipment that may interfere with the replacement of the pipeline (bidet, sink, washing machine, etc.).
- Dismantling the old sewage system. Due to the fact that cast iron is characterized by high fragility, pipes located at some distance from the riser can be easily broken with a hammer.
- Removing pipes directly to the old riser.
- Installation of a cuff on a tee bell. First, you need to thoroughly clean the socket from old lubricants that impede the high-quality installation of a new sewer system.
Burner joint failure
If the joints of the pig-iron pipeline are fastened with sulfur, this greatly complicates the task of dismantling. However, we have some tips on how to disassemble cast-iron sewer pipes in this case. Like any chemical substance, sulfur is destroyed by certain influences, namely, by prolonged heating with an open flame. High temperatures make it viscous and ductile, making it easy to remove material from the surface.
Video: How to Sew a Sewer Pipe Along
Sulfur heating with a gas burner
To dismantle a pipe connected to sulfur, prepare a hammer and chisel, as well as a gas burner for heating. By the way, the torch can be replaced with a blowtorch.
When the pipeline is heated by a lamp or a burner, harmful gas. sulfur dioxide. will be released into the surrounding space. In addition, open flames are also dangerous. Therefore, measures to protect life, health and the environment are mandatory. Sulfur heating operations can last several hours, so that the combustion products do not harm the lungs, a gas mask is needed, and a metal or asbestos protective shield is suitable to prevent accidental fires of furniture and other interior elements.
Screwdriver joint cleaning
Joint resolution without burner (video)
If you can’t use the burner, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the video below.
It is advisable to start dismantling with the analysis of pipes located at a distance from the riser. This is not difficult and problems will most likely not arise if a chisel and hammer are used, because cast iron is a very fragile metal.
So, we will consider how to remove a pig-iron sewer pipe:
- Destruction with a hammer is carried out until a cross is inserted into the riser.
With a hammer, break sections to the cross
- Next, you need to gradually loosen it inside the riser. You can leave a piece of pipe connected to the cross, then the operation to destroy the cross will be simplified. Some experts, on the contrary, remove cast iron pipes to the maximum, exposing the joints to the maximum.
- Having put on protective equipment and covering the furniture with screens, you should start heating the sulfur. Work will go faster if two people participate in the dismantling: one melts the compounds with a blowtorch or gas torch, and the second removes the viscous sulfur with a knife.
- When more sulfur is removed from the docking points, the crosspiece is removed from the riser.
Pipe disassembled to riser
The dismantling of the old pipeline should be carried out to the maximum possible limit, since it is better to cut off the cast-iron pipe to the place of its transition into the socket. Then the joining of a new plastic pipeline and a cast-iron pipe will take less time and effort. Do not think about how to cut a cast-iron pipe, use an angle grinder.
How to cut a cast iron pipe if you do not have an angle grinder? Take a hacksaw for metal and get to work, but this, of course, will increase the duration of dismantling operations.
Cast Iron Pipe Cutting Angle Grinder
Sometimes, cutting plastic pipes can be difficult. Try to saw it halfway around the circumference, and then apply slight pressure or make a slight rotation. the pipe will burst.
Before connecting the cast-iron and polymer pipes, it is required to clean the first of sulfur, using the same heating. After removal of sulfur, the pipes are allowed to cool, usually a few hours. At the final stage, a new sewer network is being installed. It is best to purchase pipes made of modern materials: plastic or metal plastic.