How to Snap a Fishing Line to a Trimmer
05 July 2018
A trimmer is a great solution for those who have a large garden or lawn near the house that needs to be constantly cut. But like any other tool, sometimes it requires intervention. After some time, there will be a need to replace certain elements, and this will have to be learned.
How to do this? To replace the main cutting element, you must first select it correctly. In principle, the instruction manual for lawn mowers should indicate the diameter of the thread that should be used in it.
When you have purchased the required cutting element, try installing it correctly. It should be noted that there is a huge amount of video on the Internet that will help you figure out how to properly put fishing line into the trimmer coil.
How to change the line on the trimmer
Below we have provided step-by-step instructions for replacing the trimmer thread.
The first thing to do is disconnect the tool from the mains and turn off the engine. Then you need to remove the trimmer head. This can be done using a simple screwdriver by lowering it into the hole of the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning. And then just unscrew
Usually they are unscrewed clockwise, but different models have different mechanisms, so it may have to be twisted in the opposite direction. But if suddenly, for some reason you can’t figure it out, then we strongly recommend that you refer to the user manual to understand how to disconnect it
The second one. After removing the mowing head, open it. This can be done by means of latches, which are located opposite each other. By clicking on them, you can remove the head cover, and then pull out the reel from it, on which the fishing line is wound. Pulling it out you can determine what type it belongs to. There are single-section and two-section bobbins
We disassemble how to fill the fishing line into the trimmer coil in two versions
So, there is only one option – we charge the fishing line into a single-section coil. The prepared piece of thread is folded in half and pushed into the spool. Then, we begin to wind both ends in the same direction, which will be indicated by the arrow on the spool. At the end of the winding, do not forget to check that the different ends of the thread look in different directions
Option two – winding fishing line two-section reel. A pre-prepared thread is divided into two parts, and its ends should be fixed: this should be done by placing them in special fixtures
Winding is carried out, as in the first case – according to the arrow indicated on the spool. Both segments must be wound so that they do not overlap. Further, the ends of the thread should be fixed in the grooves and divorced on opposite sides
After that, the spring is inserted into the coil, and all this is placed in the mowing head. When placing the coil in the trimmer, you need to carefully hold the spring while parallelly inserting the line into the slots of the lawn mowing head. And in the end, it just needs to be fixed with the final part, that is, the lid.
After you tucked the thread into the trimmer, you need to check it. If you did everything correctly, everything will work, if you made a mistake, we recommend that you read the article again, and even better, if you watch a video how to install a fishing line on a reel in a trimmer.
How to pull a fishing line from a trimmer coil
Video: How to Snap a Fishing Line to a Trimmer
Over time, the cutting element of the head wears out, and there is a need to pull out the remnants of the old fishing line. Not everyone knows how to do this. Our step-by-step instruction plus a video on how to pull a thread from a trimmer reel, which you can find on the network, will help in solving this issue.
It is necessary to disassemble the mowing head
Using the clips, remove the cover
We clean the remains of the cutting material
Complicated ? Of course not. But if, nevertheless, doubts creep into you that for some reason you will not be able to do this, then of course find and watch a video on how to pull out or how to wind a thread on a lawn-mowing reel.
How to replace a fishing line on an electric trimmer
In fact, it makes no difference which oblique you use, whether it is electric or gasoline. Threading is the same. The only difference is that if you use a gas spit, you get more freedom, as it is not limited to the cable that is present on the electric spit
Yes, do not hesitate to use special videos for installing or refueling the fishing line in an electric scythe, which can teach you much faster than simple reading.
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for a long time, for some owners of private houses it is still a novelty. That is why often questions arise about how to properly wind a line on an electric or gas trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly to achieve the desired result. Moreover, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers give an answer to this urgent question. Study the article and find out how the line is wound around the reel of the trimmer.
The procedure for winding fishing line on the trimmer reel
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working nozzles. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of fishing line – this point should be considered when purchasing supplies.
So, how do you charge the fishing line into the trimmer coil? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press your fingers on the two latches located on opposite sides of the slots, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: the reels with automatic line feed have a spring, which can forcefully drop the lid along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove scraps of old fishing line.
- Now you need to find the middle of the fishing line. To do this, rewind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut and fold in half.
- Hook the middle of the fishing line into an existing recess or insert it into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by the arrow, which is usually applied to the body of the trimmer coil (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided reel: in this case, the fishing line should be wound in different directions: one end – in one direction, the other – in the other, while the loop of the fishing line must be brought into the dividing slot located in the middle.
- Leave the loose ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be drum assembly. Replace the washers and spring. On the upper ring of the reel there are two recesses where you need to fill the antenna line of the fishing line. Pass them through the holes and install the reel in the drum, trying to tighten the fishing line and not displace the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess fishing line will be cut off by the cutting blade itself.
As you can see, it is easy to wind the line onto the reel of the trimmer: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will be useful to you when choosing a fishing line, its winding and subsequent work:
- Fishing line is of different thickness and with different cross-section. The best option for winding is the "native" for this model of fishing line;
- Never use a fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawn mower, but also others;
- The fishing line is cut off when the working trimmer comes into contact with solid objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop every time, turn off the device and rewind the fishing line onto the reel;
- Use a straight line for mowing grass and a pigtail line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not be permanently cut.