How To Start A Chainsaw Stihl
Why not start the Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The reason for the lack of start of the Stihl model, in this case, is to fill the spark plug.
To fix the problem, you will need to disassemble the upper part of the tool and unscrew the plug. If a thick layer of carbon has formed on the candle, it will need to be cleaned and dried. After that, the clean candle can be screwed back in.
Chainsaws Stihl 180 malfunctions and repairs
The simplicity of the Stihl MS 180 household chainsaw device allows its owner to eliminate most of the tool malfunctions with his own hands. To successfully repair a model, first of all, you need to determine the causes of the breakdown. The repair algorithm in each case is different and depends on the type of malfunction.
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
It is necessary to start the Stihl chainsaw in the following sequence:
- First of all, you need to turn on the inertial brake by pulling its plastic lever away from you;
- Next, you need to carefully remove the protective plastic cover;
- Then you need to press the standard fuel pump button. Thanks to this, the fuel will enter the cylinder and it will be easier for the starter to start the engine;
- Next, the combination switch must be set to the permissible position marked Cold Start;
- Then grab the Stihl saw with both hands and slowly pull the plastic lever of the factory built-in starter until resistance is felt. Immediately after this, it is necessary to quickly pull the starter lever towards you several times until the standard engine starts and stalls;
- At the end, pull the inertial brake lever towards you and start working with the tool.
By adhering to this procedure, the owner of the Stihl MS 180 model will be able to protect its main working parts from increased wear and significantly extend their service life.
Do-it-yourself Stihl 180 chainsaw carburetor adjustment
The factory Stihl chain saw carburetor plays a leading role in the model’s device. During its operation, he is responsible for mixing the fuel mixture with air and supplying it to the engine cylinder.
Before adjusting the carburetor, you will need to remove the plastic body of the tool and clean the internal parts of the saw from dust and carbon deposits. There are 3 adjusting screws under the housing cover. The first 2 screws are marked with the letters H and L, they are needed to adjust the proportion of fuel and air, which determines the level of opening of the throttle valve. When the screws are loosened, the fuel mixture is enriched with air, due to which the engine speed drops. If the screws are tightened, the amount of air used in the fuel decreases, which leads to an increase in the engine speed.
A screw marked H is required to set the maximum engine speed. Screw L is responsible for adjusting the required minimum operating speed of the motor. The third screw, marked S, is needed to fine-tune the operating idle speed of the internal combustion engine of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw.
Setting up a German brand saw carburetor consists of two steps. The first stage is basic, or, as it is also called factory. It can only be carried out with the engine off of the garden tool. The second stage is final. To perform it, you need a warm, switched on motor. To know to what extent to turn the adjusting bolts, you need to read the saw manual in advance. It lists the exact setting diagram for each individual screw. Adjusting the bolts arbitrarily without knowing their exact end position can damage the chainsaw motor.
During the basic setting of the carburetor with the cold engine off, the screws H and L must be slowly turned alternately in the direction of the clock hand to the stop. Then each of them must be turned out 2 full turns in the opposite direction.
The final carburetor setting is done in this order:
- First you need to start the engine of the chainsaw and let it run for 5 minutes until it warms up completely;
- Next, you will need to start alternately turning the screw H in different directions until the maximum idle speed of the engine is found;
- Then the screw marked L must be turned 1/4 turn counterclockwise;
- If, after the steps taken, the chain on the bus begins to rotate, then the screw S will need to be turned against the clock hand. It is only necessary to finish manipulating the screws S when the saw chain comes to a complete stop;
- Next, you need to set the maximum engine speed using a manual tachometer connected to the motor.
After adjusting the carburetor, you will need to check the operation of the engine. To do this, with the tool turned on, you must sharply press the gas trigger several times. If, when the trigger is quickly pulled, the engine quickly picks up speed, and when it is released, it loses it, then the factory carburetor adjustment was performed correctly.
Chainsaw Stihl МС 180 specifications
The high efficiency of the Stihl model in the garden was achieved thanks to decent factory parameters.
Chainsaw features include:
- Gasoline engine power 2 HP S. / 1.5 kW;
- The volume of the factory cylinder is 31.8 cm3;
- The permissible length of the used tire is 3035 cm;
- Fuel consumption 200 ml / h;
- The pitch of the used chain is 3/8;
- Weight with saw headset 4 kg.
Among the advantages of the chainsaw of the German brand Stihl is a low noise level, which, when the factory engine is running under maximum loads, does not exceed 105 dB.
Running in the Stihl MC 180 chainsaw
After preliminary preparation of the required mixture of fuel and used engine oil, you need to proceed to the scheduled running-in of the new Stihl tool. This procedure plays a huge role, since during its implementation all the working mechanisms of the tool fall into place and rub against each other closely.
To break in a Stihl 180 chainsaw, you need to take the following steps one by one:
- First you need to add fuel mixture and a suitable chain oil. For this, separate tanks are provided in the saw device;
- Next, you need to turn off the factory inertial brake, this will prevent the plastic case from melting in the clutch area;
- After that, you need to turn on the chainsaw and let it idle for about 1520 minutes;
- Then you need to move on to sawing thin branches. Gradually, the thickness of the branches needs to be increased.
When running in a Stihl MS 180 saw that is in use, it is important not to run the engine as high as possible, as this can lead to the formation of burrs on the cylinder surface. Also, during the running-in process, it is not recommended to use motor-drills, bark beetles and other common chainsaw attachments.
Among the widespread breakdowns of the Stihl 180, as well as other models of chainsaws, the following applies:
- Wear of the drive sprocket, due to brutal and frequent use.
- Broken starter cord.
- No spark in spark plugs.
- Leakage in the lubrication system supplying oil to the chain.
- Air is sucked into the crankcase through the oil seals.
- Breakdowns in the carburetor cause fuel to stop.
If you do not know how to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you should strictly follow the manufacturer’s advice and requirements, following the method:
- Turn on the ignition (how to set the ignition on the Stihl 180 chainsaw, indicated in the device passport).
- Install the control lever at more than one point (in this way, the carburetor flap will block air from the filter, and the throttle will be completely open, and the fuel mixture will be able to enrich).
- Pull the starter handle, this must be done a couple of times before the 1st flash goes off. This will signal that the mixture has entered the cylinder specifically, and your unit is ready to start.
- Now you can move the lever up one section, while the throttle valve remains in the same position, and the air valve will open.
- It remains only to pull the starter. With all this, the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw will operate at increased speeds.
If it is necessary to set the throttle while operating at idle speed, simply pull the throttle trigger and release it immediately. After which the device will bring the speed back to normal.
Most of the owners of saws of this model are wondering what gasoline to pour into the Stihl 180 chainsaw and what proportions with oil must be observed. A good option is 1/50, which means that for 5 liters. Ready-made consistency, only 100 ml of oil is needed.
How to mix gasoline with oil
Procedure if your chainsaw does not start
The first thing I would like to note is that if your chainsaw does not start, do not turn any screws on the carburetor. If you are not an expert, then you still will not be able to set up something on your own and you will not be able to start the chainsaw.
The next steps necessary to start the chainsaw, perform in the order indicated, starting to do the action under the next number only if the previous one did not help.
- For starters, try just leaving the chainsaw alone for 5-10 minutes. Perhaps during the start-up, a candle flooded with it, this happens. Then try starting again according to the instructions.
- Remove the housing cover on the chainsaw, remove the air filter and try to start without it. If the filter is dirty, it should be washed in soapy water and dried or replaced with a new one.
- Unscrew the spark plug from the chainsaw. Check for a spark. If there is no spark, then try putting in a new candle. If the spark does not appear, then this means that the ignition unit is damaged and the saw needs to be carried for repair. True, visual observation of a spark does not mean that the ignition unit is working properly. If there is a spark, and the chainsaw did not work, do the following steps on the list.
- If there is a spark, but the candle is wet, then turn the chainsaw over to drain excess gas from the cylinder if it has accumulated there. Juggle the starter 10-15 times without the spark plug to ventilate the combustion chamber. Ignite the candle and screw it back, or better, change it to a new one, if available. Try starting again according to the instructions.
- If the candle is dry, draw one or two cubes of gasoline mixture into the syringe and pour it into the cylinder. Try to start the chainsaw, perhaps a small speck has got into the carburetor, which prevents the fuel from entering the combustion chamber. It is quite possible that this speck will be pulled out by the stream formed after starting the chainsaw by adding fuel directly to the cylinder.
- Unscrew the muffler and remove it, being careful not to spoil the gasket between the muffler and the engine. Try starting without muffler and air filter. With the muffler removed from the chainsaw, you can inspect the piston from the inside. If there are burrs or scuffs on the walls of the cylinder or piston, or the ring on the piston is jammed with burrs, then you will have to be very upset, as this means that the piston is damaged or worn out. This usually happens when oil is not added to the fuel mixture. With such a malfunction, you will have to contact the service, and perhaps even think about buying a new chainsaw, since replacing a piston is a rather expensive operation.
Thus, we have sorted out in this article how to start a chainsaw according to the instructions, as well as what to do if the chainsaw does not start. We hope you find these tips helpful.
Now a huge number of manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most needed is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. The level of properties is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are required are popular in the field. This was also facilitated by the democratic cost and the best power in which the models of this brand own.
It seems that many had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. At the same time, not only take advantage of, but often do a variety of work and make sure of the great operational properties of this tool. Such a proliferation of these products is no coincidence, taking into account that in addition to power, this common hearing instrument stands out for its graceful design. But do not forget that all the same this is a technique for which the resource of work is limited. Because whoever owns such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Further we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
The properties of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. With all this, the unit is an inventory that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should not exceed 20 hours per month. Having at your own disposal a similar unit, it will not be difficult for you to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, and of course to clear the grounds. At the same time, he will be able to provide any assistance to you in solving other problems, where it is unnecessary to perform complex manipulations.
The saw in question is a small-sized option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. However, it has a large oil and fuel tank. A two-stroke engine helps the device to make its working functions, the power of which turns out to be sufficient for solving light problems. In addition to this during use, this common hearing instrument does not make a lot of noise, the level of which does not exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it is enough to say that a person’s speech makes noise in the region of 76 dB.
How to properly wind up the Stihl 180
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 4.5.6 watts. By and large, this is enough, remembering that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, the fuel tank is 0.25 l.
- The provided tire measures 350 mm, here the pitch is 0.325 inches.
As well as if the passage is with other saws, the carburetor makes the role of the main starting device. Taking a closer look at the carburetor with which the Stihl 180 chainsaw is armed, it should be noted that it has a single adjusting screw. In other words, it is just an idle adjustment screw. With all this, the jet, which is the full load, is constantly stationary.
In other words, adjustment relative to it is not applicable. Next, there is no ability to influence the full load in any way. It is also necessary to pay attention to the factory settings, due to which the supply of air-fuel consistency is carried out specifically to the engine. At the same time, the myth of the principle persists regardless of the criterion of tool operation.
- Speaking of the saw 180, it should be noted that the myth of the tool has many advantages. However, this unit is not devoid of shortcomings. Attention will be paid to them.
- A common situation is in which some owners find themselves when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and fills in a candle. As a rule, this is associated with the formation of a leakage of the oil used to lubricate the chain. A similar thing happens based on the circumstances that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank loses its former density.
- By and large, this discrepancy is solvable, but in order to do everything possible well, it is necessary to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. In fact, this process anticipates certain aspects, first of all, you need to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be unrealistic to get to the right place.
- For most owners of this saw, the burning question is why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start? Specialists give the following recommendation on such an account: the first thing that needs to be done for those who are faced with a similar problem to open, and then close the lid located on the gas tank. Another solution is considered to be to remove the candle and let it dry. Also of course to make the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. In most cases, the indicated tips are enough to bring the device back to working condition. But not every time it helps to get the Stihl chainsaw back to work.
- If a spark is encountered, but the attempts to start the chainsaw do not lead to anything, then it is necessary to check the supply of gasoline, the air filter, and after completion, make sure that the spark plug is working properly. Such manipulations must be done due to the circumstances that in most cases such malfunctions are caused by contamination of the breather. What a plug appears here is what creates a vacuum environment in the gas tank, due to which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem, you will like more, is solved simply, why is it enough to remove dirt using a needle for this purpose.
- Some owners are faced with such a problem when the saw itself started, but immediately begins to stall. Find the reason that the saw will not start should be in the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to clog up and therefore does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is not the cause of the malfunction, and it is in good working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, then find out if there is a fuel leak.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for a properly working chainsaw to have a dense and measured jet of gasoline. In addition, you can often follow the situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start on a hot one, in this matter it stalls at the same moment or after a couple of weeks. Usually a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Mainly, a lot of deposits have accumulated here, associated with the long-term operation of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- However, the saw may not start if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. Contribute to this be channels with a plug, or the reason should be found in an oil pipe that has a leak.
- Severe discrepancy will be leaks in the connecting pipes or at the installation site of the oil pump fittings.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To see if this is essentially so, just make an inspection. If and therefore the survey for you there are bulges and chips, then this is an obvious sign of breakage.
- When, during the verification process, it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty candle. Here it is removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but it is harmful to do so, since otherwise this element will be spoiled and subsequently it remains only to throw it away. In due course of troubleshooting, you will have to remove excess fuel by draining it through a special hole.
- It should also be understood that the drying time should be at least half an hour. As a result of a similar operation, you can easily return it to the area, and then test it in action.
- Sometimes the candle can fail due to the development of its own resource. Usually, when the similar is confirmed, the only option is to find a change for it. In case of a myth, it does not hurt to have a spare candle, in addition, it is better when you have a whole set of such parts at home. In this case, at any time, you can replace the existing one with a newest candle and make sure whether a broken candle is a prerequisite for a breakdown.
- Along with this, the inability to start the chainsaw is possibly caused by a weak contact provided by the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. The discrepancy with starting the chainsaw is possibly related to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the solution to the problem is to replace the faulty unit, since it is not repairable.
- A burning question for most owners is the question of the correct idle speed after emptying the fuel from the gasoline tanks. According to professionals, you shouldn’t worry too much about this. But if you often have to deal with a similar problem, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to return the normal operation of the tool.
- Sometimes the owner may need to clean the muffler, as this part may be the cause of the malfunction. This operation is fairly easy to accomplish. Do not forget that probably the owners are faced with problematic operation of the chainsaw due to a faulty carburetor.
- Although sometimes you will like to fix the malfunction rather easily, but it is best if specialists will repair this technique. After all, not every modern person has the necessary knowledge and abilities, as you know, it is fraught with the fact that in due time of self-elimination of a malfunction there is a risk of one hundred percent disabling the tool.
The chainsaw simplifies many operations. But for a long time she has no right to show her own initial level of work. Therefore, at some point, of course, problems appear. Than, the owner can remove some malfunctions without the help of others, but in any case, there is certainly a risk that he will incorrectly condition them, as you know, it is fraught with the fact that by his actions he can completely disable the instrument. Therefore, it is better not to take the initiative, but to entrust this work to a specialist.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is used for preparing firewood in private houses and small farms, improving the garden area, crowning shrubs, with its help you can clear the area and do various work of various levels of difficulty, including felling trees and cutting wood species. It is a multifunctional device though. Today, you can use various attachments for repair and construction work without any problems.
The device of the Stihl 180 chainsaw is simple, the developers have made a lot of efforts so that the household device has the advantages of a professional model for our client and is available to newcomers in this direction. Design features allow users with different levels of training to operate the device:
- The carburetor circuit of the Stihl 180 chainsaw allows you to adjust the unit without the help of others using a specially designed screw.
- The design allows the use of tires of various sizes. Ordinary, provided by the manufacturer, the tire for the Stihl 180 chainsaw is fourteen inches; if necessary, you can install a model of sixteen inches. This feature provides a significant increase in productivity.
- A two-stroke single-cylinder engine operates on a consistency consisting of only 2 components of gasoline and oil, the choice of which must be treated with great care, because for this reason the quality and service life directly depend.
- To start the engine, you will need to pull the starter wire.
- Engine and starter.
- Ignition module and clutch.
- Flywheel (plays the role of a cooling element).
- Saw chain brake.
- Air filter and replaceable filter elements.
- Fuel (250ml) and oil (145ml) tanks.
- Chain tension adjustment mechanism.
- Control knobs.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw has properties that correspond to the light class. It is armed with tanks of small volume, with all this it has a low weight of 3.9 kilograms. Motor power with a nominal value of two horsepower or 1500W, easily and simply copes with any set tasks.
How to start a chainsaw stihl ms 180
The question of how to start a chainsaw can be divided into two parts:
- Factory according to instructions
- What to do if you can’t start
The information from the first part will be useful to those who have lost the instructions, or those who have little information about the instructions.
The second part will tell you what to do if you did everything correctly according to the instructions, but the chainsaw still won’t start. It will also be useful for those who have a poorly started chainsaw.
We start the chainsaw according to the instructions
For different chainsaws, starting can be done in different ways. Let’s look at the two most popular mechanisms that are used to start a chainsaw that exist today. Let’s take the Stihl MS 180 and Echo CS-352ES chainsaws as an example. If you have a different brand of chainsaw, then just try to start by analogy, since most likely you have the same or similar mechanism.
Before starting the description of the starting process, I would like to note that for some chainsaws, the instructions say that before starting the chainsaw, you need to turn on the emergency stop brake. Say it’s safer. However, with a fixed brake, starting the chainsaw is more difficult, so it is better to unlock it. If you do everything wisely, then the chainsaw will not do anything to you during startup. If you are afraid that without fixing the brake the chainsaw, when you try to start it, can harm you, then it is better not to take up this tool at all.
So let’s start with the Stihl MS 180.
- The first thing to do before starting this chainsaw is to move the choke adjustment lever to the lower position (Fig. 1). Please note that this lever moves to the very bottom on the chainsaw only if the gas button is pressed. Therefore, we hold down the gas button and move the lever down. Thus, we close the damper in the carburetor and fix the gas in the pressed position at the chainsaw.
After you have done this, further, in order to start the chainsaw, begin to pull the starter handle with an energetic movement until you hear that the chainsaw tried to start and immediately stalled. After that, we move the throttle position adjustment lever at the chainsaw one step up (Fig. 2).
- In this position, pull the starter handle again until the chainsaw starts. At the same time, if it turned out to be started, due to the fact that the throttle stick is fixed in the pressed position, it will immediately work at high speeds.
- Then, once press and release the gas button on the chainsaw, the throttle adjustment lever will automatically return to the operating position (Fig. 3), and the speed of the chainsaw will decrease. Now you can work.
- If you need to start a heated chainsaw, then you just need to put the lever in the position, as in fig. 3, and can be wound.
- To stop the engine of the chainsaw, raise the choke adjustment lever to the upper position (Fig. 4).
Now let’s analyze the second second mechanism that allows you to start the chainsaw.
- First, before trying to start, turn on the ignition by moving the toggle switch or the chainsaw switch to the appropriate position (Fig. 5).
Then press the swap primer several times (Fig. 6). Gasoline will be pumped into it and after that we press it 3-5 more times. If you have a chainsaw without a primer, then proceed to the next step.
Now on the chainsaw, pull the throttle position adjustment lever to the end (fig. 7). In some chainsaws, in order to start it, this lever can be pulled out only when the gas button is pressed, while the gas button itself will be fixed in the pressed position. Others do not have to press the gas button. True, in this case, the gas on the chainsaw is fixed automatically or not at all.
- Next, pull the starter handle until the chainsaw makes an attempt to start and stalls. After that, push the throttle position adjustment lever back on the chainsaw until it stops and again pull the starter handle until the chainsaw starts. In some cases, in order to start the chainsaw, the throttle position adjustment lever needs to be pushed only halfway, and it must be fully pushed in after the chainsaw starts.
- Chainsaws with fixed gas have high RPM after starting. Where there is no fixation, the revs are low. In the latter case, due to the low speed of the chainsaw, it usually stalls after working for a short time. In this case, without adjusting anything, we start the chainsaw again and this can be done several times until the chainsaw warms up a little and can already keep the speed and not stall.
- To start a hot chainsaw, you just need to turn on the ignition by moving the corresponding toggle switch, and you can pull the starter handle.
Why the chainsaw won’t start?
If you did everything according to the instructions, and the chainsaw does not start, then something is wrong with it. This may be due to several of the most common reasons: no spark; no fuel is supplied; clogged air filter. So, below we offer a procedure that will help identify the reason why the chainsaw does not start.