How To Start A Petrol Mower
Instructions: how to start a chainsaw so that it does not fail prematurely?
This article describes how to properly start a chainsaw. What is the best way to turn on and start the device after a long idle time and features of the first start The principle of the device of chainsaws of different brands is described in detail.
Winter launch features
Before starting work in winter, it is recommended to first bring the chainsaw into a warm room for 10-15 minutes. If this is not possible, start the tool at idle speed by moving the choke to the middle position. Only increase engine power after preheating. Some models have the ability to switch air intake in summer and winter mode. This is the optimal solution if you often work in the forest at any time of the year.
How to start a chainsaw?
In most European models, the starting system and starter have a similar device, mechanism of operation. The exception is old domestic chainsaws (Ural, Lesnik). On the body there is a handle through which a cable is passed. If you lift it, the cable engages with the drum of the ratchet mechanism, several revolutions of the crankshaft occur. At the same time, the fuel is ejected and ignited with the help of a candle, after which the chainsaw starts up. To simplify the start, the following mechanisms can be implemented in high-quality chainsaw models:
- Installation of a damper in the carburetor for preliminary enrichment of the fuel mixture;
- Decompression valve, which reduces the working pressure in the engine cylinder;
- A spring that, during the movement of the cable, simplifies the unwinding of the crankshaft;
- Additional pump for pumping fuel (usually found in American manufacturers).
The starter motor is constantly subjected to dynamic loading. Because of this, it can fail at any time right during launch. With frequent use of the saw, it is recommended to carry out preventive maintenance at least once a year. It is recommended to replace the cord in the starter only with two people, since it is required to securely fix the spring.
Checking the oil supply
To achieve the sliding of the chain on the headset, a special oil tank is located in the engine crankcase. It supplies oil to the tire. Its work is controlled by a special pump, which starts when the engine speed increases. To check the supply and operation of the lubrication process, you need to remove the side tire protection, start the tool. If oil enters the headset and decreases in the reservoir (check with a dipstick), then no action is required. If the amount of mixture is insufficient, it is recommended to clean or replace the filter, and then adjust the flow.
Checking the chain tension
To check the tension of the chain on the saw headset, just pull it with your fingers in the middle of the bar. Link shanks, when properly installed, should not protrude more than a third of their length from the grooves. The chain should move smoothly along the tire without strong efforts, if the movement is difficult. Release the tension.
Figure 3. Checking the chain tension
It is not difficult to adjust the voltage of this element in chainsaws on your own using a special wing bolt on the body. Some models have two bolts, less often a wrench is required for tightening. Carefully read the instructions before using.
It is recommended to prepare the dressing mixture in a metal container. First, pour in the required amount of oil, and then dilute it with gasoline and bring to homogeneity. Carefully pour the prepared composition into the tank of the chainsaw, trying not to stain the body, screw the lid tightly. The finished mixture can be stored for no more than 30 days, after which the oxidation process starts. At the same time as refueling, it is recommended to check the chain oil tank and refill if necessary.
Fuel mixture preparation
For normal operation of the chainsaw, it is recommended to take gasoline with an octane rating of at least 90. The best option is the AI-92 brand, the use of lower-quality fuel can cause the engine to knock, reduce its productivity.
Both break-in and continuous operation require two-stroke engine oil. It is better to purchase brands designed for specific models of chainsaws. The proportions for preparing the fuel mixture for each saw are indicated in the operating instructions, on average, it is recommended to mix at the rate of 1:33. For old domestic chainsaws, the mixture is prepared in a ratio of 1:15.
Features of the first and subsequent launches
Learning how to properly start a chainsaw is, in principle, easy. The necessary skills are acquired directly during operation.
The chainsaw is started with a recoil starter, in most modern models combined with an inertial or spring system for easy starting. A properly adjusted mechanism reduces the force required to start the engine by almost half.
Since it is impossible to start a chainsaw without a starter, in order to extend its resource, it is necessary to develop a smooth, with a slight acceleration, a jerk of the cord, which does not create large loads on the structure of the starting device.
- For the first start, the tool, fueled with fuel and chain oil, must be placed on a level surface, unlocked the accident prevention system and the emergency stop brake of the saw headset. If primer is present, fuel must be pumped into the carburetor.
- To start the engine, set the throttle trigger to low speed and, holding the tool by the handle, pull the starter handle. Starting a chainsaw for the first time, as they say, with a half-turn, most likely will not work. Even a fully serviceable and adjusted tool “grasps” after 3-4 attempts.
- At idle, the piston group and the connecting rod-crank assembly operate under oil starvation conditions, so the idling time must be limited to a minimum.
Launch of Chinese-made chainsaws
A significant part of Chinese chainsaw tools are copies of well-known European brands, while not always successful ones. In order to start a Chinese chainsaw, special skills are not required.
A feature of working with Chinese chainsaws is recommendations for the use of branded engine and chain oils. Leading Chinese manufacturers have developed a wide range of specialty additives that have a positive impact on the performance and durability of Chinese domestic and professional chainsaws.
Fuel system tuning
The factory adjustment of the carburetor is carried out according to the averaged parameters, therefore the necessary adjustments to the operation of the fuel system are made during the operation of the chainsaw.
The sequence of self-tuning of the fuel system by the owner himself is given in the instructions. To bring the engine to the optimal thrust and economy of fuel consumption, it is advisable to perform the adjustment using special equipment, which is equipped with service and repair services.
A running engine is checked for interruptions in the ignition system, extraneous noise, crankcase overheating and other shortcomings. Full lapping of loaded parts and assemblies of a new chainsaw is carried out in an operating mode with moderate loads. With short breaks to cool the engine, you can cut wood with a diameter of 100-150 mm.
Preparation and refueling of the combustible mixture
All modern chainsaws, with rare exceptions, are equipped with compact two-stroke internal combustion engines running on high-octane gasoline. A metered amount of special engine oil is added to the fuel in a ratio of 40: 1 or 50: 1.
There are few requirements for the quality of gasoline. These are:
- Minimum storage time;
- Octane number not less than 92;
- Lack of water and foreign matter.
Reasons for a failed launch
To search for failures typical for internal combustion engines, there are developed algorithms that help to detect and eliminate a malfunction with a small investment of working time.
In a simpler version, this is an excess of fuel in the combustion chamber that makes it difficult to ignite the mixture, an unregulated gap in the spark plug, air leakage in the fuel supply system.
Also, it is not excluded that the carburetor flap control drive is disconnected, the nozzles are dirty and the presence of water condensate in the float chamber.
How to start a chainsaw: tips and tricks
Novice sawers who do not have the skills to work with chainsaw equipment have to develop their own maintenance skills. How to prepare the fuel mixture and how to start the chainsaw is described in detail in the instructions attached to the tool.
At the initial stage of preparation for the first start, the new chainsaw is freed of preservative grease, after which you should make sure that it is complete, securely tightened the threaded fasteners, especially in the area where the headset is attached, and that the saw chain is correctly tensioned.
2.Why won’t the chainsaw start?
If you did everything according to the instructions, and the chainsaw does not start, then something is wrong with it. This may be due to several of the most common reasons: no spark; no fuel is supplied; air filter clogged. So, below we offer a procedure that will help identify the reason why the chainsaw does not start.
How to start a chainsaw
The question of how to start a chainsaw can be divided into two parts:
- Factory according to instructions
- What to do if you can’t start
The information from the first part will be useful to those who have lost the instructions, or to those who have little information about the instructions.
The second part will tell you what to do if you did everything correctly according to the instructions, but the chainsaw still won’t start. It will also be useful for those who have a poorly started chainsaw.
1.We start the chainsaw according to the instructions
For different chainsaws, starting up can be done in different ways. Let’s look at two of the most popular mechanisms that are used to start a chainsaw that exist today. Let’s take the Stihl MS 180 and Echo CS-352ES chainsaws as an example. If you have a different brand of chainsaw, then just try to start by analogy, since most likely you have the same or similar mechanism.
Before starting the description of the starting process, I would like to note that for some chainsaws, the instructions say that before starting the chainsaw, you need to turn on the emergency stop brake. Say it’s safer. However, with a fixed brake, starting the chainsaw is more difficult, so it is better to unlock it. If you do everything wisely, then the chainsaw will not do anything to you during startup. If you are afraid that without fixing the brake the chainsaw, when you try to start it, can harm you, then it is better not to take up this tool at all.
So let’s start with the Stihl MS 180.
The first thing to do before starting this chainsaw is to move the choke adjustment lever to the lower position (Fig. 1). Please note that this lever moves to the very bottom on the chainsaw only if the gas button is pressed. Therefore, we hold down the gas button and move the lever down. Thus, we close the choke in the carburetor and fix the gas in the pressed position at the chainsaw.
Fig. 1 After you have done this, further, to start the chainsaw, begin to pull the starter handle with an energetic movement until you hear that the chainsaw tried to start and immediately stalled. After that, we move the throttle position adjustment lever at the chainsaw one step up (Fig. 2).
Now let’s take a look at the second second mechanism that allows you to start the chainsaw.
- First, before trying to start, turn on the ignition by moving the toggle switch or the chainsaw switch to the appropriate position (Fig. 5).
Fig. 5 Then press the swap primer several times (Fig. 6). Gasoline will be pumped into it and then click on it 3-5 more times. If you have a chainsaw without a primer, then proceed to the next step.
Fig. 6 Now on the chainsaw, pull out the throttle position adjustment lever to the end (fig. 7). In some chainsaws, in order to start it, this lever can be pulled out only when the gas button is pressed, while the gas button itself will be fixed in the pressed position. Others do not have to press the gas button. True, in this case, the gas on the chainsaw is fixed automatically or not at all.
Procedure if your chainsaw does not start
The first thing I would like to note, if your chainsaw does not start, do not turn any screws on the carburetor. If you are not an expert, you will still not be able to set up something on your own and you will not be able to start the chainsaw.
The next steps necessary to start the chainsaw, perform in the order indicated, starting to do the action under the next number only if the previous one did not help.
- Try to start by simply leaving the chainsaw alone for 5-10 minutes. Perhaps during the start-up, a candle flooded in her. It happens. Then try starting again according to the instructions.
- Remove the housing cover on the chainsaw, remove the air filter and try to start without it. If the filter is dirty, it should be washed in soapy water and dried or replaced with a new one.
- Unscrew the spark plug from the chainsaw. Check for a spark. If there is no spark, then try putting in a new candle. If the spark still does not appear, then this means that the ignition unit is damaged and the saw needs to be carried for repair. True, visual observation of a spark does not mean that the ignition unit is working properly. If there is a spark, and the chainsaw did not work, follow the steps below.
- If there is a spark, but the plug is wet, then turn the chainsaw over to drain excess gas from the cylinder if it has accumulated there. Juggle the starter 10-15 times without a spark plug to ventilate the combustion chamber. Ignite the candle and screw it back, or better, change it to a new one, if available. Try starting again according to the instructions.
- If the candle is dry, draw one or two cubes of gasoline mixture into the syringe and pour it into the cylinder. Try starting the chainsaw. Perhaps a small speck has got into the carburetor, which prevents fuel from entering the combustion chamber. It is quite possible that this speck will be pulled out by the stream formed after starting the chainsaw by adding fuel directly to the cylinder.
- Unscrew the muffler and remove it, being careful not to spoil the gasket between the muffler and the engine. Try to start without muffler and air filter. With the muffler removed from the chainsaw, you can inspect the piston from the inside. If there are burrs or scuffs on the walls of the cylinder or piston, or the ring on the piston is clamped by burrs, then you will have to be very upset, as this means that the piston is damaged or worn out. This usually happens when oil is not added to the fuel mixture. With such a malfunction, you will have to contact the service, and perhaps even think about buying a new chainsaw, since replacing a piston is a rather expensive operation.
Thus, we have analyzed in this article how to start a chainsaw “according to the instructions”, as well as what to do if the chainsaw will not start. We hope you find these tips helpful.
If you can’t turn on and start the chainsaw
When all actions are performed in accordance with the established order, and the chainsaw does not start work, then there are malfunctions in its mechanism. Usually the cause of this phenomenon is common and easily fixable problems, such as lack of spark, shut off fuel supply, clogged filter that allows air to pass through. In order to start the chainsaw, you will have to find the cause and take the necessary steps to eliminate it.
Only correct actions should be taken. If a person does not know what to do, there is no need to commit rash acts. It is forbidden to disassemble the device, you need to be especially careful with the carburetor. You cannot unscrew any screws on it, since if its device has become the cause of a breakdown, then it is impossible to repair the chainsaw without professional equipment.
The actions that need to be performed in a strict order are listed. Only during the transition from one measure to another can the exact cause of the malfunction be determined and quickly eliminated without damaging other parts. Algorithm of actions performed in case of failures in the establishment of a chainsaw:
- At first it is enough to let the device rest. This is especially true for recently used saws. It is enough to wait no more than 10 minutes, since during this time the mechanism will cool down and in the absence of other breakdowns it will easily start. Sometimes it happens that a candle is poured near the appliance during the establishment. If this unpleasant property has occurred, then it is enough to wait a very short pause and repeat all the steps again to start the engine.
- The housing cover is unscrewed from the device for removing the air filter. The process of starting up the device is performed if it is absent. Sometimes the reason for the lack of ignition is that the filter is dirty. If ignition occurred without it, then the reason lies precisely in this. To eliminate these troubles, it is enough to wash the filter under running, warm water and soap, then dry it. You can also replace the old item with a new one.
- The spark plug is removed. The spark is checked. If it does not appear, you need to replace the old candle with a new one. Usually this helps and a spark appears, but in some cases there is no spark even when changing the mixture.
When a spark appears when you cannot get the device to work, you must continue to follow the steps below.
How to start a Stihl chainsaw (Stihl MS-180). The first start and start without a starter
Chainsaws differ slightly in design features, but in most cases the assembly principle is carried out according to two standard schemes. For many devices, the instructions contain information about the need to activate the emergency brake before starting the activation procedure. You should first master the device of the plant and study the main ways of correcting breakdowns, then a person will have the opportunity to fully operate the device. The article will talk about how to start a chainsaw.
2 diagram of a standard mechanism. How to start the saw correctly
- Step 1. The ignition is turned on. To do this, you need to move the toggle switch to the desired place or move the switch.
- Step 2. The swap primer usually has to be pressed more than two times. Gasoline is poured into it, after which you will have to press the device more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step.
For more details, look at:
1 diagram of a standard mechanism
- Step 1. Before starting the benzoil, it is necessary to move the flap, which acts as an adjustment lever, downwards, in comparison with the optimal position. First you need to press the button responsible for the gas supply. Only if this condition is met is the normal movement of the damper possible to the extreme stop from below. It is necessary to simultaneously move the damper and hold down the gas button. The gas is set to the standard position and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the unit for correct operation.
Our other article will also help you make your choice in favor of a particular brand of chainsaw.
Russian-made chainsaws. Low price with sufficiently high quality.
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so everything can also be switched on safely and more comfortably without the use of braking equipment.
Briefly about the launcher
The chainsaw is powered by an internal combustion engine. This is a simple device, the design of which does not have any special bells and whistles. It usually works well even under difficult conditions.
Operation is provided by structural elements:
- Carburetor engine (see carburetor adjustment).
- Centrifugal clutches.
- The ignition system is contactless in almost all devices.
- A carburetor that adds air to the fuel mixture.
- Fuel system. Its standard device consists of a hose, filter and gas tank, but sometimes it has additional parts.
- Chain (see chain oil).
- Chain tensioner and brake (see how to sharpen the chain).