How to Tighten a Chain On a Stihl Chainsaw
Regardless of the class of the chainsaw, under the influence of intense regular loads, the chain is weakened. This can be determined by the appearance of characteristic gaps in the joints of the links, a change in the sound of work, and an increase in vibration. It is possible to tighten the tension of the saw set yourself using a special mechanism. This avoids serious damage and injuries while working with wood.
Why is chain tension necessary?
The chain performs two functions at once. it directly cuts wood and fixes the tire, preventing its arbitrary movement. The correct position and tension of the chainsaw chain allows you to fully operate the tool, to avoid dangerous injuries during operation. If the saw set is not installed correctly, it flies easily during sawing, harming the operator. Even with a slight weakening, it gradually breaks the groove of the tire, which leads to failure of the teeth of the driven sprocket.
In this case, excessive voltage leads to an increase in the load on the rotor, reducing the resource of the saw. Therefore, it is important to regularly check the tension, if necessary, tighten a special mechanism on the tool body.
Important! Sagging can occur due to wear on parts. Usually this is the wear of the teeth of the sprockets, breakage of the outer edge of the groove of the tire.
How to check the correct stretch?
To ventilate the quality of tension, smoothly pull it in the middle of the tire.
The permissible output level of the tails of the cutting links should be no more than 2/3 of their length.
The need for a tightening can be determined by the following signs:
- the appearance of squeaking and grinding in the area of the main driving sprocket;
- loosening of the protective mechanism, tire fasteners;
- seizure during sawing, increased vibration and noise.
A chainsaw decreases productivity and increases operating time. Even when sawing soft types of wood, the chain starts to get stuck in the groove, speed and smoothness are reduced.
Depending on the design features of the instrument, the headset tension mechanism may vary.
In budget models of chainsaws, a classic straight-threaded bolt, which is located on the side of the case, is used to adjust the chain.
In this version, a special key for tightening is included in the package or there is an external groove for a slotted screwdriver.
All professional models are equipped with more convenient adjusting mechanisms. Using them, you can pull the chain with one movement of the lever or by turning a special disk. Their design consists of a built-in tensioner, fixing during rotation is achieved by a lock nut. In some models, the adjustment is carried out by locking the tire in a certain position of the tool cover. Regardless of the method, the circuit voltage needs to be adjusted only when cooled. Tensioning the hot chain leads to sagging during cooling.
Video: How to Tighten a Chain On a Stihl Chainsaw
How to adjust the chain?
You can install the circuit and adjust its voltage with your own hands, without contacting a service center, regardless of the class of the chainsaw, its age. Before starting work, you should completely check each link, since sagging may be due to wear of the teeth or sprockets. Step-by-step algorithm of the correct tension Stihl 180, Husqvarna, Champion, Partner and other models:
- place the instrument on the table so that its headset is on top. Unscrew the screw fastenings of the protective cover, dismantle the tire and thoroughly clean each element (it is convenient to use a vacuum cleaner or a cylinder with compressed air);
- determine the correct chain position. The teeth should be on top, go in the opposite direction from the body;
- put it directly on the tire. Fix the bolt mechanism, make sure there is a sufficient margin of free play.
Before looking for an answer to the question of how to pull a chain on a chainsaw, you should study what methods exist. Two tension methods are common. fast and frontal. The first method involves the use of a tightening bolt. It must be twisted clockwise, at the end it is necessary to check the wing nut and lower the handle.
Figure 3. Quick tension method
The front-end method is more complex, the main steps:
- unscrew the nuts that secure the tire to the chainsaw. Loosen and gently pull up on the edge of the headset;
- pull the adjusting screw to the desired level, fix the tire back with the nuts;
- check the chain tension with your fingers; if necessary, tighten the nut again.
Regardless of the characteristics of the tensioner, excessive voltage of the circuit should not be allowed. this is no less dangerous than its weakening. After installing and adjusting the saw mechanism, it is recommended that the tool be idled. Carefully check the smoothness of the chain, the presence of sagging and extraneous whistling sounds.
Important! When buying, you should specify the type of chain tension in a specific model of the tool. Check for a key to tighten the headset, it should always be included.
If the tension does not help
With proper installation of the chain there should be no sagging, when pulling the teeth go out of the grooves no more than 4-6 mm. After work, scroll it along the tire in the direction of rotation, the stroke should be smooth and easy. If the tension correction does not help, the cause of insufficient stress may be due to the following factors:
- incompatibility of the chain model (tooth pitch, length, size) and the saw set of your chainsaw model;
- failure of guide sprockets;
- damage to the tensioner, adjusting screw;
- lack of lubrication (the problem is solved by the additional use of oil);
- mechanical damage to the bottom of the teeth, grooves in the headset.
Figure 4. Overstretching
If it is not possible to achieve sufficient chain tension, the tool should never be operated. You should check the compatibility of all components, if possible, contact the service center to fix the breakdown. Using a chainsaw without a quality setting can lead to dangerous consequences.
Possible risks with uneven stretching
Any changes to the saw headset (sagging, broken teeth, overstrain) can lead to problems during operation. Risks of tool operation with sagging:
- decreased productivity during sawing and felling;
- the chain gets stuck in the groove, flies off the tire during startup;
- headset breakdown, damage to guide sprockets;
- high load on the rotor, reduced tool life;
- Serious injury during work.
Before starting work, it is important to qualitatively check all moving mechanisms, the tightness of the adjusting bolt. Use special oil to lubricate the teeth, the saw set. Chain adjustment and direct sawing should be carried out in protective clothing, gloves and glasses should be worn to avoid injuries.
A chainsaw headset is an important structural element responsible for productivity and quality of work. Before starting operation, check the tension and make sure that it is installed correctly. The voltage is adjusted using a special bolt or lever on the housing. Sagging or excessive tension can lead to serious consequences. breakage of the saw, injuries during sawing wood.