Makita 150 Right Angle Grinder
An angle grinder (angle grinder), consisting of a motor and an abrasive wheel, appeared in the USSR in the 1970s. The tool was supplied by the Republic of Bulgaria, therefore, the people assigned it the name "angle grinder". A modern angle grinder finds application wherever processing of solid materials is required: leveling concrete and stone, cutting metal and asbestos cement, grinding wood and plastic. What are the parameters to choose the right tool for work at home and in the country?
What parameters are important when choosing an angle grinder
Working disk size
The diameter of the disc is the main indicator of the ability of the angle grinder to perform certain operations. The larger the size of the cutting wheel, the more powerful and fast the angle grinder should be. The diameter of the hole in the circle (landing size) is standard: 22.2 mm.
For the angle grinder, five standard types of discs are produced, which vary in size:
- Disk with a diameter of 115 mm. Designed for cutting materials of small thickness, for processing (grinding, polishing) of small surfaces. The maximum cut depth is about 30 mm.
- Disk with a diameter of 125 mm. One of the most popular sizes for home use. The cut depth is about 40 mm. A large number of various nozzles and additional accessories are produced for this size.
- Disc diameter 150 mm. Most often used in installation work as an auxiliary tool. Running size for cutting metal and plastic pipes for plumbing and electrical work.
- Disc diameter 180 mm. Semi-professional size. It assumes non-stop operation. The cutting edge is 50 mm. It is widely used in repair and construction works.
- The diameter of the disc is 230 mm. Used in professional angle grinders with a power of up to 2.5 kW. Practically not used for domestic needs. the devices are too bulky.
Attention: it is impossible to install a disk of a larger diameter on the spindle than is permitted by the instruction.
Engine power of angle grinder
The greater the engine power, the greater the force the tool develops, the more dense materials it is able to cut. With increasing power, the weight of the device increases. The industry produces tools with motors from 0.5 to 3 kW. For home and garden it is recommended to choose an angle grinder with an engine power of 0.8 to 1.2 kW. A more powerful mechanism is more difficult to hold in your hands, while working it consumes more electricity.
The professional tool is designed for long-term work, it has a higher operational resource. If large-scale construction, cutting of steel bars, and assembly of formwork are planned at the cottage, you can use a tool with a motor of up to 1.5 kW.
Video: Makita 150 Right Angle Grinder
Disk rotation speed
In angle grinders, the speed of rotation of the working shaft varies from 2.5 to 12 thousand revolutions per minute. The operating range is from 3000 to 6000 rpm. As a rule, the manufacturer sets the optimal rotation speed for his machine depending on the motor power, and lays this parameter at the design stage.
High-class angle grinders are equipped with a speed controller for the working shaft. This adjustment is especially relevant when changing drives frequently. For example, when rotating a disc with a diameter of 230 mm with a frequency of 10 thousand revolutions per minute, it will be very difficult to hold the tool in your hands.
Additional features offered by the manufacturer will allow you to make working with an angle grinder convenient and safe:
- Smooth start of the engine. A very useful feature. the disk spins up to operating speed gently, without an “explosive” jerk at the start.
- Automatic disk balancing. Reduces tool vibration in the hands. Especially helps in the work when using an unevenly worn disk.
- The number of handles. For household grinders, as a rule, two threaded holes and one handle that can be rearranged are provided. This is very convenient if you need to change your hand at work to get to a bottleneck.
- Adjustment of rotation speed. The electronic circuit maintains a constant rotation speed of the motor shaft, regardless of the load on the disk. Work is faster, the motor and gearbox will last longer.
- Existence of a system of protection against dust. An important function for concrete work is that the gearbox and shaft are protected from the ingress of cement particles, and the tool life is increased.
- The ability to connect a construction vacuum cleaner. Along with personal protective equipment. a respirator, glasses and gloves. it increases the comfort and safety of work. The workplace will remain clean.
- Locking the start button. For long operating modes, such as grinding or polishing, the operator does not need to keep the button pressed in the working position.
- Auto power off. If the light is cut off during operation, the machine de-energizes the tool so that it does not start up itself when restoring power.
How to choose the right angle grinder for home or garden right
In order to make the right choice of a grinding machine that meets all the necessary requirements, it is necessary to determine the tasks that will be assigned to it. Most importantly: determine what you will cut with an angle grinder, and how often.
As practice shows, for a house and a summer house, a household angle grinder with a working disk size of 125 mm and a power of up to 1.5 kW is best suited. Such machines have light weight and dimensions, are convenient in operation, equipped with additional features. Under the circle diameter of 125 mm, a lot of additional nozzles are released, turning the angle grinder into a universal tool.
The table shows the comparative characteristics of some brands of angle grinder from different companies on the market of electric tools.