Stihl Ms 170 And 180 Differences
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180 Chainsaw Stihl MS 180. Is a motorized device designed for cutting trees at home and outside the house, provided it is transported. Nutrition
Stihl 180 chainsaw carburetor
The carburetor is adjusted during manufacture to avoid unnecessary interference with its operation. However, periodic maintenance is required. During operation, it may be necessary to clean and replace the air filter and spark arresting grille. The chain should not rotate when idling. This is adjusted with the LD screw.
Specifications Stihl MS 180
|Engine power, W (hp)||1500 (2)|
|Cylinder volume, cm3||31.8|
|Fuel tank volume, l||0.27|
|Bus length, mm||300/350|
|Chain pitch, inches||3/8|
|Power button lock||there is|
|Automatic chain lubrication||there is|
|Grease tank capacity, l||0.26|
|Additional options||anti-vibration system, compensator, Ematic chain lubrication system|
Stihl 180 chainsaw chain
The Stihl 180 saw chain deteriorates during long interruptions. To avoid this, it must be stored in an oil bath. The manufacturer for this type of Stihl 180 saws recommended Stihl chains with dimensions of 3/8 “by 1.3 mm. Available in sizes 12 “, 14” and 16 “.
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180
- Stihl 180 chainsaw device
- Specifications Stihl MS 180
- Stihl 180 chainsaw carburetor
- Stihl 180 chainsaw chain
- Chainsaw Stihl MS 180-14
- Chainsaw Stihl MS 180-16
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180 This is a motorized device intended for cutting trees at home and outside the home, provided it is transported. The saw is powered by a gasoline engine. Fuel must be used with an octane rating of at least 90. Oil for the fuel mixture is used in a ratio of 1 to 50. It is considered to be one of the best saws for domestic use. In a separate article, for completeness of the description, data on the shortcomings of this saw and in a separate difference from the MC 170 modification are summarized.
Stihl 180 chainsaw device
The tool consists of the following units:
- Adjusting screw;
- Decompression valve;
- Saw chain brake and catcher;
- Chain sprocket with cover;
- Frontal chain tensioner;
- Bar and saw chain;
- Tension wheel;
- Gear stop;
- Hand protection devices (front and back);
- Plugs (oil and fuel tanks);
- Tubular handle and back handle;
- Fuel feed lever and lock;
- Combined shift lever.
Of the items requiring periodic maintenance, there are:
- Levers, oil and fuel tanks, chain lubrication system;
- Chain, tire and sprocket;
- Carburetor, spark plugs, cylinder ribs;
- All available gulls, springs, screws (excluding adjustments).
Chainsaw Stihl MS 180-14
This variant features a 14-inch tire and a slightly lower price tag. Recommended for logging and sawn timber construction.
Worthy competition for this model are household chainsaws of the same type in power and application from leading European and Asian manufacturers. On the Russian market there are Husqvarna 236 X-TORQ, Oleo-Mac GS 35C-14, Hyundai X 380 and MTD GCS 3800/35 models identical in basic parameters.
Chainsaws of various modifications are equipped with branded tires with a length of 14 and 16 inches, respectively, with STIHL Oilomatic 3/8 inch saw chains. Oil for cooling and full lubrication of the cutting mechanism is fed from a 150 ml tank into the cut by an unregulated oil pump.
The list of mandatory equipment includes a saw chain tensioner and a chain locking system that is triggered by a kickback or other traumatic moment. The chain stops in the shortest possible time from a light blow to the back of the protective barrier.
To date, calm headsets in terms of quality and durability are at the level of the best world and European samples.
Over the past decade and a half, the design of the chainsaw has not become obsolete, moreover, it meets the basic requirements of the current regulatory standards.
The indisputable advantages of the Stihl MC 180 Model:
- Affordable price for a wide range of consumers;
- Optimal indicator of specific gravity;
- Ergonomic body configuration, shape and location of handles, providing a reliable grip of the tool when performing labor-intensive and complex sawing work;
- Operation, low-cost in terms of fuel consumption and the cost of the repair range;
- Stability of the working parameters of the tool throughout the entire service life;
- High maintainability and interchangeability of unified spare parts and consumables with models from previous years.
Correct adjustment of the fuel equipment allows you to combine economical fuel consumption and maximum traction characteristics in the operation of the power unit.
The factory adjustment of the chainsaw carburetor is carried out according to the average parameters, therefore, taking into account external factors, it needs additional adjustment.
The standard setup sequence is shown in the instructions. In order to adjust the carburetor for maximum performance and economy, you must first clean the air intake filter and warm up the engine to operating temperature.
The main reasons for the drop in thrust, excessive smoke, increased consumption of the fuel mixture are eliminated by changing the quality and quantity of the fuel-air emulsion with the adjusting screws.
Design and application features
In the work on the project, the designers used the versatile experience of operating previous models, advanced engineering solutions even for our time. The performance of the chainsaw is geared towards applications in the private sector and small-scale construction.
- The Stihl MC 180 saw successfully copes with sawing fuel wood, pruning large branches and forming crowns of fruit and ornamental trees.
- Compact dimensions determine its suitability for work in hard-to-reach places of erected log and timber structures.
- Owners of this tool respect it for its consistent performance across a wide range of simple and complex sawing jobs, a high degree of operational reliability and a long service life.
- Functional malfunctions of a chainsaw in most cases are the result of unskilled care, excessive loads, unjustified savings on the quality and cost of fuel and lubricants and consumables.
According to the information received from the service services, new Stihl chainsaws are delivered for warranty repair in single copies. The main part of the repair assortment is the model of release after the 2000s, the operating and technical characteristics of which are restored by 96-98% with moderate costs of material resources.
Taking into account the wishes of users, on the basis of the basic model, two technically advanced versions were developed. The MS 180 C-BE chainsaw features the STIHL ErgoStart easy start system, a chain tensioner located in the carburetor of the fuel compensator.
The characteristics of the multi-channel mixture formation of the engine and vibration damper have been significantly improved, the operator’s comfort has been increased due to the single-lever control scheme.
Another version of the Stihl MS 180 Picco takes advantage of the operational advantages of an automated lubrication system. This model only comes with 14 ” bars and 50-link saw chains.
Product manufacturer STIHL
The history of the STIHL brand dates back to 1926, when Andreas Stihl founded A. Stihl Ingenieursbüro. Initially, the company specialized in creating working boilers and the first washing machines, and later the first model of a chainsaw was created with the money earned. This unit, in spite of its huge weight (48kg), quickly conquered the market and began to be very successfully sold to the countries of near and far abroad.
The 90s became the beginning of a family business for the company. Almost all members of the Stihl family began to take part in the life of the company.
In 1995, AGCo Holding was established, whose main base was in Waiblingen and Diesburg.
Since 2002, a complete stranger has become the chairman of the board of directors of STIHL AG. At that time, boss Hans Peter Stihl headed the supervisory board of the company and took over the chairmanship of the STIHL Holding AGCo commission.
After another 2 years, the company’s modern development center was opened, and already in 2006, a new assembly plant was launched in China.
Today the company is successfully developing, introducing new ideas and even more practical approaches to work. STIHL inventions top the chainsaw rating for reliability.
Pros and cons of the Stihl chainsaw
Among the advantages of the Stihl chainsaw are:
- A special anti-vibration system of the AC class;
- QuickStop inertial chain brake required for the safety of the device;
- Free air filter;
- The regulating compensator guarantees stable and powerful operation of the system;
- Single-lever type of chainsaw control;
- Use of Ematic type grease, which saves on fuel consumption;
- The optimal cost of a chainsaw.
As for the last point, the question of how much a Stihl 180 chainsaw costs can be brought into both the advantages and disadvantages of products. The fact is that the price is not high for different categories of the population. Also, for use purposes, this option may not seem entirely cheap.
Despite the ease of handling, the relatively low fuel consumption and ease of maintenance of the saw is still not widely available for everyone (the price on average fluctuates around 8,000 rubles).
Step-by-step instruction and operation manual
Then just follow the step-by-step guide for the Stihl 180 chainsaw:
- Before starting, press the chain brake forward, thereby activating it;
- Get rid of the tire’s protective coating;
- Press the decompression valve for quick start and the fuel pump;
- Take care to set the combination arm in the cold start direction;
- Place the chainsaw on a flat surface, step on the handle to improve its stability;
- Pull the starter rope slowly, and then pull it quickly a couple of times;
- Place the throttle in the half-throttle position and pull the starter rope again;
- After starting the saw, press on the gas and lift it off the ground;
- Release the chain brake and check the lubrication quality of the working chain by giving full throttle to the device over a sheet of light paper (if oil drops appear, the saw is working normally);
- The saw can be operated according to the regulations.
For more details, look at:
For information on how to file a chainsaw chain, see here.
Chainsaw Stihl-180: instruction and operation manual and technical characteristics of Stihl MS-180, device and diagram
The Stihl chainsaw is a unique device designed to facilitate the complex and time-consuming process of sawing trees and their further processing. It is difficult to imagine today many necessary professions without this miracle of technology.
Take, for example, builders (wooden housing construction), lumberjacks, public utilities workers and just people who often resort to her services in the course of running their own household. All of them approved this device and today they cannot imagine life without this irreplaceable assistant.
The choice of a chainsaw should be carried out depending on what tasks it will perform. The main classification of chainsaws is divided into models of the following types:
The chainsaw can be used not only for cutting trees, but also small-diameter logs. As a rule, its work should not exceed 40 minutes. In a day. These simplified models are small in power and are used for periodic work applications. Professional chainsaws are much more advanced devices., designed to work 12-16 hours a day. Check out our list of the best chainsaws.
The stihl 660 chainsaw can cut huge trees and is therefore suitable for professional loggers or construction workers. Semi-professional chainsaws are almost complete analogues of professional ones, only with limited operating time. Their possibilities are also wide! For more information on how to cut trees with a chainsaw, see here.
Operational and technical characteristics
As for the technical and operational characteristics of this chainsaw, they largely surpass all modern market counterparts. For information on how to run a chainsaw correctly, see here.
The device of the Stihl 180 chainsaw is made in such a way as to achieve maximum indicative results, while at the same time not causing any discomfort during work. The device is completely vibration-free and does not tire the operator’s hands.
The handle that surrounds this tool sits tightly on 3 shock-absorbing blocks made of rubber, which is also very convenient for using a chainsaw.
The Stihl ms 180 chainsaw has the following specific characteristics:
- The maximum working volume is 31.8 cm³;
- Nominal weight is only 3900gr.;
- The power level is 1.5 kW / 2.0 HP;
- The bus is 0.35 m long;
- Characteristic chain of the Oilomatic type with a pitch of 3/8 “P (PMS3);
- Tank with a volume of 250 cm³;
- Idling speed is 2800 rpm;
- Specific gravity 2600 g / kW;
- The permissible vibration level is 6.6 to the left and 7.8 m / s2 to the right;
- The sound pressure is 97.0 dB;
- Sound power 106.0 dB.
Easy to operate, does not require additional maintenance, in addition to timely lubrication (if you do not follow the lubrication in time, it is quite possible to kill both the tire and the chain itself).
It should be noted that the two-stroke engine of this unit is designed in such a way that it runs on a gasoline-oil mixture. Only use good quality oil in STIHL chainsaw gasoline. You can read about which Stihl chainsaw oil to use here.
The quality of these operational elements will largely determine the impact for the functioning and carrying out the service life of the entire system.
Chainsaw Stihl 180 instructions provide for strict adherence to all the rules for its operation. This is important for warranty repairs as well as extending the service life of the chainsaw. It is very important to use good chain oil to lubricate your chainsaw.
Saw operation safety
The safety precautions are pretty simple.
Every worker using a Stihl chainsaw must be aware of:
- Device and principle of its action;
- Possible types of problems, as well as options for their quick fix;
- Possibility of kickback effect and its consequences;
- Fuel filling rules;
- Chain lubrication rules;
- Rules for checking the operability of the mechanism.
The personnel working with the device must be dressed in special clothing:
- Special protective trousers;
- Helmet with special earpieces;
- Safety glasses for the eyes;
- Special boots, preferably with non-slip soles.
- Be sure to have a first aid kit with you.
Differences between the cylinder-piston group
The main difference is hidden inside the cylinders. The inner diameter of the Stihl CPG 170 ms is 37 mm, while that of ms is 18038 mm. But oddly enough, the oil pan of the tools is the same.
Both units have comfortable modifications with STIHL ElastoStart technology, which makes it easier to start the Stihl chainsaw, and a quick chain tension system, which allows you to adjust the chain without the use of keys.
In appearance, it is almost impossible to distinguish chainsaws, since they are completely identical. The body parts, crankcase, muffler and carburetor mounted on saws are interchangeable and have the same factory part numbers.
Comparison of characteristics
If you compare the main technical characteristics, then these two saws have the same volume of fuel and oil tanks. The weight of the instruments is 3.9 kg. Chainsaws are supplied with completely identical tires.
The main difference between the tools is in the power of the motors. The Stihl ms 180 has an engine capacity of 31.8 cu. Cm while its power is 2 liters. From. The 170th is equipped with a 30.1 cc engine. Cm and at the same time gives out a maximum power of 1.7 liters. From. Whether this difference will be critical, one cannot say for sure. We can only assume that with a larger power reserve, the MS 180 chainsaw will be a little more reliable.
Differences between Stihl chainsaws ms 170 and 180
Dear readers, in this article we will consider the answer to the question: Stihl 170 and Stihl 180 is the difference critical, since this is one of the most popular questions that buyers have when choosing a chainsaw for work in a garden. And let’s start by comparing the technical specifications.
A comparative analysis of chainsaws showed that, despite the price, most buyers choose the Stihl MS 180 because of its reliability and practicality. A large selection of spare parts also affects comfortable operation, since repairs are an integral part of the operation of any equipment. Choosing 180 is the right choice.