What Length Should There Be A Fishing Line On A Trimmer
The problem is also connected with the fact that there are such a variety of lines on the market of fishing accessories that it is unlikely that one choice will be made for one approach. Moreover, they all differ among themselves in several parameters, such as color, thickness, tensile strength and material of manufacture.
Naturally, picking up a fishing line for all occasions will not work, but you can come to an optimal solution.
Fishing line color
The color of the fishing line does not particularly affect the performance, although in some cases it is necessary to carefully consider this nuance.
What you should pay attention to:
- When fishing in clear water, you should opt for a neutral, gray color or a swamp hue.
- If the river is characterized by a sandy bottom, it is better to take a fishing line of a transparent or sandy hue.
- If the pond has a muddy bottom or vegetation predominates on it, a green or brown line should be used.
- A yellow fishing line will be visible in any body of water.
- Dark colors do not allow you to control the wiring, as they are not easy to see.
- Luminescent fishing line allows you to best control the wiring. The fishing line is white or pink.
The thickness or diameter of the spinning line
The spinning fishing performance depends on the diameter of the fishing line if it is correctly selected for the conditions of fishing. For fishing not large specimens, a fishing line with a diameter of 0.2-0.25 mm is enough. If the pond is clean and sand is at the bottom, then the thickness of the fishing line can be reduced. For ultralight fishing rods, a fishing line with a thickness of 0.12-0.14 mm is enough.
The thickness of the fishing line is also selected for the weight of the lures: 25 g – 0.27 mm, 37 g – 0.35 mm and 45 g – 0.4 mm.
When choosing a fishing line, one should also take into account the test of the fishing rod: test 1.5-12 g – diameter of the fishing line 0.12-0.16 mm, test 7-30 g – thickness of the fishing line 0.25-0.3 mm.
Monofilament fishing line
Monofilament fishing line (monofilament) is very popular among anglers, as it can be used to catch any kind of fish. The main material for its manufacture is nylon.
When choosing, you should pay attention to:
- At breaking load. It is indicated in kilograms and has a direct dependence on the diameter of the fishing line. For example, fish weighing 1 kg can be pulled out using a monofilament, 0.12 mm thick.
- Quality. Thanks to its integrity and smoothness, the fishing line serves for a long time. Non-constant indicators of the thickness of the fishing line along the entire length lead to unpredictable tears.
- On the real diameter. You can find manufacturers who do not accurately indicate the diameter of the product, unreasonably overstating or underestimating.
- On the color. It is better to equip your gear with transparent fishing line. But this does not mean at all that other colors may be worse: it all depends on the fishing conditions.
Advantages of monofilament fishing line:
- Does not create much resistance when posting lures.
- It is not afraid of low temperatures and does not change its structure upon contact with water and frost. The only thing that becomes not so flexible.
- It has a certain rigidity and is suitable for making leashes.
- It has a certain elongation, which allows you to extinguish jerks of fish, which can not be said about the braid. Perfect for mastering the principles of spinning fishing.
- It is characterized by a certain invisibility in the water for fish.
- It perfectly resists various underwater surprises, such as stones, snags or shell rock.
- It has excellent gliding, which does not allow the rings to wear out quickly.
- Monofilament fishing line at more affordable prices.
The disadvantage of monofilament fishing line:
- If you use thin monoleski, with a small breaking load, then they quickly break.
- If used for a long time in direct sunlight, it may lose some of its properties.
- The increased specific tension has not only a positive, but also a negative effect: it does not transmit bites to the tip of the rod well. In other words, the tackle is not so sensitive.
- It has a memory. The fishing line can fix its position: being not on the spool, it leaves it in rings, which is not always convenient during fishing.
Braided fishing line
It is called a “wicker” or “cord”. With its appearance, fishermen have the opportunity to choose fishing line, depending on the nature of fishing. The braid consists of several thinner synthetic threads woven together, having special impregnation and sheath (sometimes). If we compare it with monofilament fishing line, then it has a great strength twice.
Advantages of the braid:
- She has no “memory." Whatever they do with this fishing line and no matter how long it has been in this state, it will always accept its original state. Although there are developments where this principle is not so strong.
- High strength. Despite this, it loses its characteristics with frequent contacts with underwater surprises.
- A large number of colors. It is possible to choose this element of gear for various fishing conditions. If you choose contrasting shades, you can always control the process of posting the bait.
- High sensitivity. Due to the low specific tensile coefficient, it instantly transfers bites to the tip of the spinning rod.
- Not stretched. This property allows you to "save" the hooked bait for various obstacles. The hook will bend faster than the fishing line will break.
- The presence of impregnation. Such fishing lines are impregnated with compounds that improve its technical characteristics, as well as flavors that help attract fish.
The disadvantages of braids include:
- Its not extensibility. When a large specimen is caught, the entire load acts on the rod, which can lead to breakage. In other words, braided fishing line does not soften jerking fish.
- Its visibility in the water. As a rule, a transparent braid does not exist. Any color of it can alert the fish.
- She is afraid of low temperatures. A temperature of 4 ° C already affects its performance. At low temperatures, wet fishing line is covered with hoarfrost, its elasticity is lost. Several similar conditions for her, and she may be unsuitable for further exploitation.
- Able to absorb moisture. This is a very bad property, which leads to the loss of its functionality, since it can not always be dried.
- Its value. It costs more than monofilament fishing line, but can serve less.
Video: What Length Should There Be A Fishing Line On A Trimmer
Fluorocarbon fishing line
The basis of its manufacture are chemical polymers. Few people use it as the main fishing line, despite the fact that it is wear-resistant. Unfortunately, it is not so durable with respect to monophilic and braided fishing line, moreover, its price does not allow using it for the main fishing line, since there are other, cheaper options. Due to the fact that it is not visible in water, it is universally used as a lead material. Here it is simply not replaceable.
The advantages of such a fishing line include:
- Its invisibility in water for fish. This property allows you to increase the number of bites.
- Its wear resistance. She is not afraid of shells, nor stones, nor moisture, nor frost, nor high temperature.
- Her durability. Thick fluorocarbon is used for pike leashes.
- Her stiffness. She is not confused under any fishing conditions.
- Its low coefficient of specific tension makes the gear quite sensitive.
Its disadvantages include:
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool, trimmers use metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be eliminated with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs – both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawnmowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- Mowing head base;
- Button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- A bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- Eyes – through them the fishing line comes out;
- Trimmer head cover;
- Fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In the event of a break in the cord, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- The fishing line does not automatically extend;
- The cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1 – a bite occurred, i.E. Clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to drag out, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2 – too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3 – fishing line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you nevertheless acquired a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, moisten it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the body, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil in the housing, and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disk on the shaft, do not forget to put the washer on it.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next video.