Why the Trimmer Starts Cold
Why doesn’t the gas trimmer start? Reasons and their elimination
Recently, a gas trimmer has acquired the status of one of the main tools in the arsenal of summer residents. And this is not surprising, because a motorized spit allows you to quickly tidy up your personal plot. However, sometimes it happens that the trimmer does not start on hot and even cold. In such situations, you have to independently determine the cause of the malfunction. Let’s find out what to do if the trimmer does not start. The reasons that most often lead to such troubles will be discussed below.
How to start troubleshooting if the trimmer does not start? In situations when the tool stalls immediately after start-up, it is worth inspecting the following units of the unit:
- fuel tank;
- spark plug;
- fuel and air filter;
- exhaust channel;
It is the failure of the above locations that most often leads to the fact that the trimmer does not start well. Let’s look at how to eliminate such troubles.
Fuel mixture check
Let’s say you do not start the trimmer. In this case, the first step is to check whether there is enough fuel in the tank, and also to evaluate the quality of the fuel mixture. It is necessary to refuel the motorized unit with exclusively high-quality gasoline. It is recommended to use fuel whose brand is not lower than AI-95. Filling the trimmer with fuel of an unknown origin, purchased at a non-gas station, is fraught with the occurrence of frequent malfunctions in the tool. This may cause a malfunction of the cylinder-piston system. Repair in this case often exceeds the cost of the device itself.
Why doesn’t the gas trimmer start? Incorrect preparation of the fuel mixture, which consists of oil and gasoline, can also lead to this. The proportions in which these components are connected are indicated by the manufacturers in the trimmer instruction manual. It is extremely not recommended to prepare the fuel mixture in large volumes, that is, for the future. After all, with long-term savings, the loss of the defining properties of the substance occurs. Therefore, if the trimmer does not start, you should drain the old fuel and use a freshly prepared fuel mixture.
Diagnosis of the suppository canal
What to do if the used fuel mixture is in perfect order, but the gas trimmer still does not start? The reasons for the failure of the mechanism may lie in the excessive wetting of the candle channel. To diagnose and fix the problem, do the following:
- Unscrew the candle. Wipe it thoroughly and then dry it.
- Drain excess fuel in the chamber through the corresponding spark plug hole.
- Clean the old candle if there is soot on its surface. To cope with the task will allow the use of an ordinary lady’s nail file or needle file.
- When installing the element in place, set the gap to 1 mm. To check the parameter, just put any coin in the lumen.
- Reassemble the function block.
- Try to have a trimmer.
Drying the candle channel is recommended for at least half an hour. However, in no case should you resort to calcining its elements. After all, heating the spark plug can lead to its final damage. What to do if the function block was serviced in accordance with the above recommendations, but the trimmer does not start, is there a spark? In this case, it is worth treating the threaded connection with gasoline. The latter does not need to be abundantly impregnated with fuel. It should only be slightly moistened. You should resort to such actions to ensure ignition. After all, no matter how strong the spark is from a candle, there’s simply nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber.
If even in this case the trimmer does not start, it is worth evaluating the quality of the contact between the high-voltage wire and the candle. In the absence of a spark (in the presence of a reliable connection between these elements), most likely the problem is caused by a breakdown of the ignition unit. In this situation, you will have to turn to the services of masters who will reinstall the site.
Another common reason that does not start the trimmer is the clogging in the filter area. To confirm the guess, it is enough to dismantle the indicated unit and try to start the unit without it. If the trimmer engine starts, you will most likely have to replace the air filter or at least thoroughly purge the old one. In the presence of heavy pollution on a surface of the filtering element it is necessary to use a new grid. When resorting to such actions, one should not leave the suction pipe completely without a filter. Indeed, the rush in this case may lead to the need to repair the entire piston group of the engine unit.
Cleaning the breather
Often, the engine of branded trimmer models stalls as a result of clogging of the breather. The main task of this component is to equalize the pressure in the fuel tank. In case of contamination of the unit, a vacuum forms here, which significantly complicates the supply of fuel. The problem can be rectified by cleaning the breather with a regular sewing needle.
Stable operation of the trimmer may be impaired due to the accumulation of dirt in the exhaust channel or the formation of blockage on the silencer mesh. This problem most often occurs during the operation of older generation trimmer models. The issue is solved by dismantling the anti-spark mesh and cleaning it.
How to prevent sudden breakdowns during operation of the trimmer?
To ensure that the unit is always in a functional state, it is worth observing several simple rules:
- Conduct timely, regular technical inspection of the main mechanical components of the device.
- Refuel the trimmer with exclusively fresh fuel, the quality and origin of which is beyond doubt.
- Check after each use of the tool whether oxides and deposits have formed on the surface of the ignition system elements.
- Avoid heavy load trimmer during work.
In order for the unit to remain in working condition, it is necessary to properly prepare it for storage in the winter. First of all, you should completely disassemble the tool, and then flush and clean the components. It is also important to inspect the functional blocks for damage, if necessary, eliminating the deformation of parts, all kinds of distortions, gusts of materials.
Off-season gasoline trimmer storage recommendations
When placing the trimmer in storage, it is worth filling the gearbox with enough oil. Then you need to clean the air filter, partially disassemble, blow and rinse the engine of the unit. Having dried all the mechanisms, lubricate the movable elements. To process the piston system with oils, you must first remove the spark plug. Then you need to move the piston to the extreme position, after which pour a small amount of oil into the spark plug hole and scroll the crankshaft. If it is planned to store the gas trimmer in the offseason not in the house, it is recommended to tightly wrap the engine of the unit with oiled rags. This will avoid the development of corrosion on the surface of important components of the mechanism.
As you can see, there are a number of reasons why a gas trimmer may not start. However, with a serious approach to the problem, the malfunctions indicated in the material are quite easily eliminated by one’s own hands. Seek help from specialists only in case of critical breakdowns. In the end, you should always correlate the cost of self-repair with the prices for servicing the unit in the workshop.
Why the brushcutter does not start. we troubleshoot
Caring for a personal plot, summer residents periodically encounter the fact that the brushcutter does not start. There are many reasons for tool failure. For the correct diagnosis of the problem, the owner of the unit useful at the cottage needs to know the device and the principle of operation of its individual parts.
Since the gas trimmer is a complex device, you should carefully read the operating instructions before starting work. Very often they simply ignore her, or get to know her superficially. As a result, when the tool stalls or refuses to start, the question arises. “Why doesn’t the brushcutter start?” A long seasonal break in work, improper storage and untimely maintenance of the trimmer will cause a lot of trouble to the summer resident, to eliminate the reasons.
How to start the diagnosis of Lawn Mower
If the brushcutter does not start or immediately stalls after start-up, it is necessary to check all the main components and assemblies in sequence. The verification algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- Candle and candle channel;
- Air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- Exhaust channel.
Video: Why the Trimmer Starts Cold
These nodes are most often the source of major problems that can be fixed after a thorough inspection.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of the gas spit, check the availability and quality of the fuel mixture. Do not save, do not be greedy and do not be clever in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). It is necessary to prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its quantity from real needs. Excess gasoline remaining after work over time loses its quality.
We diagnose a candle and a candle channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is not in doubt, and the brushcutter stalls at start-up, then a filled candle may become the cause. Here, for repair, an ordinary candle key (probably every motorist has it) and a spare candle are suitable.
- We twist the candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not calcine);
- The excess fuel in the chamber is drained through the spark plug hole and dried;
- We clear an old candle from a deposit by means of a file or a lady’s file;
- We set a gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We return everything to its place and try to start a trimmer.
Dry the canal for at least 30-40 minutes. Otherwise, there is a risk of re-pouring a new candle.
If the candle is working, the nest where it is completely dry and the brushcutter does not want to start, we lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly moistened. No matter how wonderful a spark a candle gives out, there is simply nothing to light up in a dry chamber.
If the trimmer motor still does not start, a cause such as the absence of a spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire should be excluded. If the connection is high-quality, but there is still no spark, most likely, your ignition unit has “flown”. Here you can’t do without a master, because the part is not being repaired, but sold as a single unit.
Diagnostics of the brushcutter filters
Another reason that the gas braid stalls may be an air filter. To exclude it, try to remove the filter and start the trimmer without it. If possible, then you will have to change the air filter to a new one, or at least blow out and thoroughly clean the old one.
A gas trimmer may not start up due to contamination of the fuel filter. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing, try not to leave the suction pipe completely without a filter, this is prohibited by any operating instructions. Haste can result in repair of the engine piston group.
Breather and exhaust channel
Often, “gentle” branded models of gas mowers do not start and stall due to contamination of the breather. The main function of this element is to equalize the pressure in the gas tank. If this unit becomes clogged, a vacuum is created in the tank, which prevents the fuel supply. You can fix the problem by cleaning the breather. You can use a regular needle for cleaning.
Normal operation of the braids with internal combustion engines may be impaired due to the ingress of dirt into the exhaust channel or clogging of the silencer mesh. There is such a problem on older models. You can solve the problem by traditional cleaning and removal of the anti-spark mesh.
complex causes of brushcutter failure
If the step-by-step algorithm for troubleshooting does not give a result, and your braid still does not start or stalls, it is worth examining the carburetor and the engine itself. A clogged carburetor can be one of the reasons for unstable tool operation. Three main problems can be distinguished here:
- Clogged channels or jets. All this is cleaned with special washes or purged with a powerful jet of compressed air from the compressor. Do not use needles and wire, as passage sections may be damaged;
- Worn carburetor gasket. Exit. replacement of a failed gasket;
- Violation of tightness. To check this indicator, you can use an ordinary household tonometer, replacing a manometer with a suitable one. Keep track of the readings: if they do not change, everything is fine, and if the pressure starts to fall, then some part of the carburetor is faulty. We’ll have to find it and replace it with a new one.
If everything is in order with the carburetor, then the gas trimmer may not start due to wear on the piston group. If chips, scratches, or nicks are found on the piston or cylinder, they should be replaced. Piston rings are subject to mandatory inspection. A slight piston loophole while rocking the connecting rod indicates that it is time to change the rings. This procedure is best entrusted to service center specialists.
Rules for the operation and storage of petrol scythes
In order for the brushcutter to start up well in the future, you need to provide it with good storage and operating conditions:
- during operation, carefully monitor the cooling system, carefully and timely clean the channels in the housing, as well as the fins of the starter;
- if necessary, use solvents, kerosene and other detergents for cleaning;
- do not clean the tool “hot”. let it cool;
- Strictly follow the requirements of the instruction regarding the operating mode, otherwise you may overheat the engine;
- if you do not plan to use the brushcutter in the next month, the fuel mixture must be drained from it, because over time it breaks up into heavy fractions that will definitely clog the carburetor channels;
- after draining the fuel, let the trimmer idle until it dies, this will help to completely remove the remains of the working mixture.
Before winter storage, follow these steps:
- completely disassemble the braid, rinse and clean all the details that you can;
- inspect the parts for damage, if necessary, eliminate distortions, gusts, bends and any other malfunctions;
- Pour enough oil into the gearbox and clean the air filter;
- you can partially disassemble the motor, flush, blow and grease all moving parts;
- in order to lubricate the piston, you need to unscrew the candle, raise the piston to the dead center with the starter, pour a little oil into the spark plug hole and rotate the crankshaft a couple of times;
- if you do not store the brushcutter in a house, wind the engine with an oiled rag.
Remember, careful observance of the rules will allow you to forget that it is bad to start a brushcutter for several seasons.
What to do when gas trimmers do not start?
A gas trimmer is a surprisingly useful tool with which you can mow not only a miniature lawn in front of the house, but also a whole lawn of considerable size. Unfortunately, in this world there is nothing eternal, and therefore you may encounter the fact that gas trimmers do not start.
It often happens that users of these machines try to "save" by pouring into the tank not fuel with a normal octane rating, but something incomprehensible that has been in a plastic canister for almost a dozen years.
The main thing. fuel mixture!
In this case, the remnants of plastic dissolved in an aggressive environment do such terrible things in the combustion chamber that you will definitely not be able to do without completely sorting out the mechanism. But you will definitely remember forever how to properly store fuel.
What to do when the fuel was definitely normal, there is a spark, but the gas trimmer does not start? It’s possible that you just filled the candle with gasoline. In this case, it must be turned out, wiped with a clean cloth and dried. By the way, it’s not out of place to check the candle itself for operability.
Carry out a cold start correctly!
Often, gas trimmers do not start after they are tried to be "put into operation" after prolonged storage. Failure to start in this case is often due to incorrect user actions.
If you are faced with precisely this phenomenon, then during a cold start you need to close the shutter, and then pump a small amount of the fuel mixture into the carburetor. Then pull out the starter handle until you feel resistance, then start the trimmer with sharp and vigorous movements.
After several jerks, it will start up and stall, which is normal. With the flap in the operating position, start the tool again and start working.
There are not only situations when gas trimmers do not start, but there are cases when, after starting, they work for a couple of seconds and then stall. Inspect the spark plug again: if it is “thrown”, and this situation repeats even after it is wiped and dried, proceed to the “revision” of the air filter.
Most likely, it is completely oily and needs to be replaced. If everything is normal with the filter, it may become that the ignition coil is out of order.
In the case when the gas trimmers do not start, and you have done all of the above, the muffler may be clogged. It must be dismantled, burned on the burner, after which the entire soot can be easily shaken out.
And again the carburetor.
Well, even if, after such bullying, your trimmer does not start, you can not do without disassembling the carburetor. It may well be that the needle dropping in it is to blame. In any case, disassembling and washing this capricious mechanism certainly will not hurt.
In general, when the trimmer began to act up and stall, it is advisable to carry out a complete prophylaxis: completely change the fuel mixture, try another oil, and also change the candle without fail. Practice shows that in many cases cheap low-quality candles are to blame.
We examined the most common reasons why the trimmer does not start. If the matter is something more “exotic”, do not pass the trip to the service center. You will probably find smaller and more obvious damage yourself.
Why doesn’t the gas trimmer start?
The owner of the suburban area can not do without a brushcutter or trimmer. But in the process of its operation, situations may arise when this unit for some reason ceases to start. And there can be many reasons for this. Let’s find out why a gas trimmer does not start.
Why the trimmer does not start. the reasons
To determine why the gas trimmer does not start well or stalls constantly, it is necessary to consistently check the operation of all the main components of the unit. It is especially important to do this after prolonged storage of the brushcutter. So, the main reasons for this trimmer behavior are as follows:
- The culprit that the brushcutter does not start may be a poor-quality oil-gasoline fuel mixture. It must be prepared strictly according to the instructions. Saving here is not at all appropriate, since it can lead to failure of the entire piston group of the trimmer. Do not cook too much fuel mixture, as excess gasoline will lose its quality over time.
- You should be aware that gas trimmers of brands such as Stihl, Husgvarna and some others will not start if they are filled with cheap gasoline with a low octane rating. Therefore, for such units it is necessary to use only high-quality high-octane fuel.
- If the trimmer stalls immediately at start-up, then it may have a candle in it. In this case, it is necessary to unscrew it and dry thoroughly for half an hour. Then drain the excess fuel that is in the chamber, clean the candle from soot, put it in its place and try to start the brushcutter.
- If your new gas trimmer does not start, the cause may be a lack of spark. And this happens because the nest where the candle is located is dry and the fuel does not light up. Lightly moisten the threaded connection of the candle with a few drops of gasoline.
- The gas trimmer may stall due to clogged air or fuel filters. It is best to replace such items with new ones.
- The exhaust duct and breather can also become clogged. After cleaning these trimmer elements, you can start the unit without any problems.
- Another reason why the gas trimmer does not start, even when there is a spark, may be a clogged carburetor. To clean the channels and jets, it is necessary to blow them with compressed air using a compressor. You can use to clean the carburetor and special flushing.
- If the carburetor gaskets are worn, they must be changed. And in case of violation of the tightness of this device will have to determine the faulty part of the carburetor and replace it.
- The trimmer may not start due to wear on the piston group. However, it is better to change such parts of the brushcutter in the service center.
Immediately after buying a grass trimmer, we are faced with a lot of questions. how to use it correctly, how to refuel (if we are talking about a gasoline tool) and, of course, which line is best to choose. Look for the answer to the last question in the article.
Many gardeners sooner or later are faced with the need to cut trees growing on the site. After that, stumps remain, and if the trees were of considerable size, it is very difficult to uproot them. The article talks about alternative ways to get rid of stumps.
Almost every summer resident grows currants, which is loved because of its taste and beneficial properties. It requires proper care, which consists in treating plants from pests and diseases. The features of these autumn events are described in the article.
Beautiful well-kept lawn is a decoration of any site. And to keep his attractiveness helps regular haircut. In this case, you can not do without a lawn mower or trimmer. In the article, we will talk about the intricacies of choosing a gas trimmer.