DIY snow plow attachment to the tiller
What is a tiller snow blower
Despite the huge variety, a snowblower for a tiller can be conditionally divided into 2 categories:
- self-propelled devices;
- hand-held devices.
According to the principle of operation, the technique is also divided into 2 types:
- auger snow blower;
The most reliable assistant in the fight against snow blockages is an ordinary large-sized shovel. Nevertheless, it is quite difficult to manually cope with clearing the snow cover, so in this case it is better to use minimal mechanization, for example, equip a snow blower tiller with attachments that will resemble the same shovel in shape and size.
The principle of operation of such a structural element is no different from manual cleaning. excess snow is removed from the road to one side.
It should be borne in mind that this method should be used only if you have somewhere to remove the snowdrifts. But when rubble is everywhere, you need another unit that works as a snow thrower. This device is not much more complicated in its structure, but in functionality it is much more efficient. Quite often, such equipment is equipped with a wheeled or caterpillar track, but recently they began to produce a mounted unit of this kind.
The latter type of equipment is used when there is practically no snow: it has either already been removed, or it has fallen out and laid down in a thin layer. In this case, a rotating brush is used to pass through the snow area.
Let’s figure out what a homemade snow blower for a tiller consists of. The snow plow for the tiller is divided into 2 types:
- steam room located on a disc base;
- large brush located on the shaft.
Brinly Moldboard Plow Review And Demonstration
If desired, you can use both devices at the same time. To do this, they are installed on vehicles that operate on their own. It is also allowed to place a pair of devices on the tiller if equipped with an adapter pair of wheels. By using both attachments at the same time, you can make the snow blower out of the tiller even more efficient. Including, it can be nozzles that play the role of a snow and swamp-going vehicle. so you can work on the machine not only in winter, but also in summer, on wetlands.
Tiller snow plows
Effective clearing of the snow-covered area will be provided by specialized attachments for a self-propelled agricultural machine. There are 2 groups of devices:
- Snow plow attachment to the tiller. a device with an auger and a pipe for throwing snow. The throw range for different models varies from 5 to 15 m. The transmission from the PTO of the tiller to the drive pulley is belt.
- Blade-shovel. a snow removal attachment designed for raking snow masses. These devices are distinguished by a large working width, a rubber squeegee to protect asphalt paths and paving slabs from possible damage, adjustable blade height and angle of attack during operation.
How does a snow blower work
Consider how a snow blower works. A mounted snow blower for a tiller is an equipment that does not remove snow on the sides of the road, but, on the contrary, picks up the snow and transfers it to the auger. Such equipment is a combination of two pairs of Archimedean screws, which are made from several strips, equipped with teeth on the outer edge. This makes it possible to combine several parts of the screw in such a way that they go into one another. All this allows you to provide a fairly large area of snow capture.
The screws of the structure look into the center of the unit, snow enters there, which is processed by the knife. The rotating blades allow crushing the hardest crust into a large number of small lumps. It is important to understand that paired propellers connected to each other make it possible to move slowly raked snow. One turn of the screw carries out the resulting lump exactly one turn. Such a system is needed so that the throwing channel is not clogged with a snow mass, as this can lead to contamination of the rotor or fan.
The screw equipment has a second name. single-stage. This is due to the fact that the material from the conveyor goes directly into the bell, from where the snow is blown out with a powerful stream of air. The rotary equipment is already two-stage. rotary-auger. With the help of a screw, the collected snow passes into the mouth, where the rotor operating at high speed gives the mass a certain speed and throws it out. A jet of snow can in this case fly out at a distance of up to 25 m.
Choosing a snow blower for a tiller
A manual snow plow is an equipment that is only a direct snow removal device. It can no longer be used for any purpose, but it can be hung on any ordinary tiller.
Self-propelled devices are offered in more variety. The model range also includes structures that make it possible to remove large snowdrifts using a mini-tractor; they can be installed on medium and large agricultural machines. Of course, medium and large tractors are not suitable for cultivating household plots, as they are characterized by rather large powers. These capacities cannot be used to their full capacity, so the equipment will be partially idle, especially in the summer season, which is unprofitable due to the high cost and insufficient efficiency.
Therefore, it is worth making a choice between manual snow blowers and low-power mechanized devices. The second option is preferable for use if you need to clear a large area of snow. Tillers of some manufacturers, for example, Belarusian factories, are distinguished by a low price, but at the same time they are characterized by greater versatility than manual units.
You can also use an adapter that will make a mini-tractor out of the tiller. This is possible by installing another pair of wheels, after which it will be possible to use 2 types of attachments for tillers at once on the tiller.
A snow blower for a tiller, assembled with your own hands, is becoming more and more widespread. Reviews suggest that interaction with a self-propelled snow blower is more suitable for effective snow removal. It is not so difficult to assemble a snowplow for a tiller with your own hands, this will be discussed in the next paragraph.
How to make a snow blower for a tiller with your own hands
Consider how to make a do-it-yourself snow blower. The attachment to the tiller can be quite expensive for the user. Attachments for a tiller cost more than 20,000 rubles. In order not to spend a lot of money, you can make a homemade snow blower for a tiller. And to make a rotary snow blower for an all-terrain vehicle with your own hands, and auger. To make a snow blower for a tiller with your own hands, you can take the drawings on the Internet, and then start assembling.
First you need to define the basic contours of the bucket using small metal corners. The frame is assembled using conventional welding. After that, it must be covered with aluminum or iron sheets. Remember that if you are using aluminum, you need to additionally fasten it with rivets and bolts.
For a DIY tiller snow blower, the rear of the bucket should be reinforced so that a connecting piece can be fitted on it. Installation is carried out using special strips of steel material. From the inside, along the side walls, you need to lay special bushings equipped with bearings for the auger shaft. You can use any steel pipe for this.
In the center and along the pipe, it is necessary to make a slot where a metal plate is placed, which will serve as the impeller of the suspended unit and ensure the throwing of the snow mass into the outlet bell.
At the corners of the plate, you need to place the lugs in advance in order to subsequently fasten the screws there. Weld a key on one side of the pipe, where the transmission sprocket will be installed. In order for the key to be brought out, a hole must be made in the wall. After that, a snow plow auger is made: 2 pairs of rings are cut out of steel sheets, one side is cut on each one so that they can be opened.
The rings must be welded around the shaft. In order for the snow mass to be crushed, it is necessary to provide the rings with beveled teeth. At the end, install a bell, for which a steel pipe is fixed on the turntable.
The inlet must be securely fixed, and a good fan must be installed at its inlet, the role of which can be played by an old car stove. In order to feed the unit, it is necessary to install a generator that converts the power received from the rotation of the shaft into electricity. At the back of the bucket, make a mount on which the snow removal equipment will be hung.
The answer to the question of how to make a rotary snow blower for a tiller with your own hands can be found on the Internet, including a video of the process. Do-it-yourself snow blower drawings for the tiller are freely available. Attachments for tillers and motor-cultivators, made as a snowblower, will help to cope with heavy snowfalls and clear the area from snow drifts. Clearing snow with a tiller saves a lot of time and labor.
How to choose the right snow blower for your tiller: snow tiller attachment and attachment
The tiller snow blower is designed for clearing snow in winter. With its help, you can quickly and efficiently clear the required area from snowdrifts. Such an element of the tiller’s construction does not have to be purchased; it can be made independently. A homemade snow blower will save you a lot of money.
How to choose a snow tiller
If you are planning to purchase a snow tiller for cleaning snow in the winter on your personal plot, pay attention to the following points:
- Engine type. four-stroke gasoline. Tillers with such a motor have good performance and low weight. They also emit less exhaust gases and are cheaper than comparable diesel models.
- The snow plow must be equipped with a power take-off shaft. Such models work perfectly with active hinges for cleaning large and small amounts of precipitation: blade-shovel, brush, rotary snow blower (snow rotor).
- Choose a medium class (semi-professional). The weight (80-120 kg) and engine power (6-8 hp) of such tillers will be enough to remove a large amount of snow.
Snow blower device
The mounted auger snow blower has a metal body with a shaft inside. On the shaft there are auger blades made of steel sheet of complex shape. The shaft is mounted in bearings, which allows it to rotate.
The rotor is visible inside. A swivel pipe is located above the rotor. It can be turned in any direction. There is a hitch for mounting the auger snow blower, inside which the power take-off shaft (PTO) of the tiller is located.
The torque is transferred to the actuators. When the auger shaft rotates and moves forward, the snow is captured by the blades and moves from the periphery to its center. The snow mass, moving along the augers, collapses, its structure changes, so it will be easy to throw it aside.
From the auger pick-up mechanism, snow flows onto the rotor blades. Here, its translational movement is converted into rotational movement. It receives tangential acceleration and is thrown through the nozzle in a given direction: to the right or to the left in the direction of the snow blower. Here the operator guides the deflector so that the removed snow does not interfere with the work.
To make a rotary-type snow blower, you need to purchase:
- roofing galvanized sheet, it will be used for the manufacture of screw and rotor bodies, as well as a branch pipe for ejection of snow with a deflector;
- an equal-field corner of 40 or 50 mm, it will go to the manufacture of the frame;
- a sheet of steel with a thickness of 2 mm, from which the blades of the auger and rotor will be cut;
- a profile pipe will be needed for the manufacture of brackets;
- bearing housings and the bearings themselves for installing the shaft;
- a pipe or circle with an outer diameter of 30 millimeters or more will be used as shafts;
- pulleys, sprockets and other transmission elements;
- hardware for creating detachable connections.
Features of the Air Rotary Snow Blower
The simplest snow thrower is based on air-rotor action. Usually this is a box that can be moved on small skis in the snow. There is a rotor inside. The drive to the rotor is carried out from a stand-alone engine or from the power take-off shaft of the tiller.
The receiving part of the box is made so that, when moving forward, the snow flows onto the rotor blades. Further, the mass is ejected by rotating blades through the nozzle located above. Its deflector can be directed in any direction. Therefore, the snow is thrown to the left or right, where it is required in a particular case.
The peculiarity of the device is that, in addition to snow, a fairly powerful air flow is formed. Therefore, a snow-air mixture forms at the exit, which can fly up to 5-6 m.This is enough to clean the passages.
The disadvantages of air-ventilation snow blowers include a relatively narrow grip, as well as the impossibility of snow removal in the presence of a caked mass. When clearing passages immediately after snow falls, a snow thrower of this type has a fairly high performance. DIYers quite often take a similar design as a basis. The main thing is to create a high rotor speed.
Making a rotary snow blower for a tiller with your own hands
For the independent manufacture of a mounted home-made auger snow blower (auger rotor), you need to think over the placement of the main elements of the equipment, and also tie the dimensions to the existing tiller. Therefore, first of all, a layout diagram of the device is created.
It is important to develop a mechanism for transmitting torque from the power take-off shaft to the executive elements of the snowblower.
Shovel blade. the simplest snow blower
In some cases, it is not necessary to have a complex unit of tiller and support on wheels, equipped with a bulldozer shovel. It is enough to have a mechanical assistant. a blade that will move a mass of snow over a short distance.
A special shovel is attached to the tiller, then only due to the tractive effort created by the tiller, the snowball is shifted to the side. Using reverse gear shifting, the snow blower moves back. Consecutive movements forward and backward remove the snow from the area.
When moving forward, the snow shovel goes down; when moving back, it is lifted up. With a low snow cover, the efficiency of this working body is quite high.
DIY snowblower tools
Any work can be done only if you have a tool, so it is advisable to have:
- electric drill. without it, it is impossible to make holes of a given diameter in the right places;
- riveter. will help create strong permanent joints in sheet material;
- electric welding machine. required for welding the frame, as well as individual units;
- angle grinder. will be used for cutting steel blanks, as well as for cleaning welded joints;
- scissors for metal;
- measuring tool. used to mark and control the parameters of parts, as well as the entire snow blower (usually a caliper, tape measure and ruler are enough);
- hand tools for fixing parts and temporary fasteners. will allow you to work efficiently and with minimal effort;
- slipway. even the simplest one, made of wooden blocks, will help simplify the assembly process, the design of the snow blower has a spatial structure that needs to be assembled, fixing individual parts and assemblies in different places.
How to make a homemade tiller snow blower
With the onset of winter, the demand for snow removal equipment for the home increases markedly. Removable devices are especially appreciated, which can be used in conjunction with mini tractors and tillers. Some do-it-yourselfers also display their snow removal equipment for sale on various sites, stock exchanges and message boards. Let’s talk about how to independently make a snow blower for a tiller with your own hands.
To make a snow blower yourself, you need:
- to study the device and principle of operation of known machines for mechanized snow removal;
- decide on the type of snow plow attachment for the tiller, which you can make yourself;
- find working drawings or develop them yourself;
- work out the technology and procedure for performing work;
- purchase or prepare a tool for the manufacture of parts and assemblies;
- collect materials and components for the future snow blower.
Types of devices for mechanized snow removal
Mechanical home-made snow blowers are equipped with internal combustion engines. Most often, they are mounted (trailed attachments), they are mounted to tillers or tractors, including mini tractors. They are distinguished by their low weight and uncomplicated device.
According to the principle of operation, snowblowers are divided into:
- auger-rotor devices having two types of active organs: auger or augers that move snow to the rotor inlet, and the rotor itself, which throws snow in the right direction;
- dump grader or bulldozer type. operate on the principle of mechanical movement of the snow mass, more often such devices are used on self-propelled vehicles;
- blade shovel used in conjunction with tillers to shift snow in confined spaces;
- air-ventilating units. applicable only to freshly fallen snow, they are very small in size and extremely simple device, snow removal occurs due to the created air flow.
The most widely used are rotary auger snow blowers. They cope well with snow cover of various sizes. Sometimes there are problems with caked snow, so in expensive installations there is also an auxiliary shaft with spikes that destroy the compacted snow. In some devices, the augers are equipped with additional removable toothed nozzles, they cut a dense mass of snow.
Homemade mounted snow blower
It is quite possible to make a snow removal nozzle with your own hands, if you own a welding machine, understand the technique. Blades can be made from almost any materials available to you and various modifications, starting with the simplest ones, which will push the snow in front of you. When driving, you can control their height above the snow and turn to the sides.
The simplest version of a snow blower is from an empty gas cylinder. The cylinder has rather thick walls, which means great strength, it has a suitable shape. All you have to do is attach it to the tiller. It is easy to do it from scrap materials by making preliminary calculations.
It is much more difficult to make a screw structure on your own. First, you will need to decide on the size. the width of the snow capture. Calculate whether your machine has enough power for this shovel width.
Based on this, we begin to design:
- External casing. It is advisable to make it out of metal: plywood will quickly lose strength. The casing diagrams are on the Internet, and you can change its dimensions for yourself;
- An important part of the nozzle is the auger itself. The middle of the screw is made from a piece of pipe. It is advisable to make the screw rings of metal, then the strength will be higher. Another option for rings is to make them from shipping tape. The slope of the blades must be calculated so that on both sides they converge to the center of the pipe. In the center of the pipe, it will be necessary to weld 3 blades with the direction along the movement of the shaft, so that the crushed snow enters the pipe before exiting. After installing the blades, disks on the pipe, it is necessary to balance it by cutting off the excess metal rings with an angle grinder, and using scissors. the conveyor belt. It is necessary to cut off the excess until there is a balance of the auger;
- This stage of development lies in the driving mechanism of the auger: how it will be driven by the belt mechanism. This takes place through a belt drive gearbox, which is mounted on the side to connect to the auger pipe;
- After installing the gearbox, it is necessary to close the bearings against moisture and dirt, so that they do not jam in the future. over, they will last much longer;
- At this stage, we remove the snow through the pipe, for ease of use. with a swivel mechanism. The swivel mechanism can be done in the simplest way. For this, a semblance of a large washer with holes at regular intervals and with the same holes in the casing is placed at the bottom of the pipe. Having chosen the optimal turn of the pipe, fix this pipe through the holes with a bolt and nut.
A firm connection with a bolt and nut is recommended for safety and reinforcement. A finger from vibration can fly out and fall into the casing, and the consequences can be the most unpleasant if the pipe starts to rotate without a lock.
With the correct calculations and accurate work, you will receive a wonderful assistant for the winter period who will cope with any consequences of a snowfall.
How to make a snow blower for a tiller
In winter, after heavy snowfalls, you have to clean the area with a shovel. Many have thought about purchasing a snow plow for a tiller. If you have such a technique on your farm, you can upgrade it by installing a self-made snow nozzle on the tiller. Such a snow blower for a tiller will help you save energy, time for cleaning snow over a large area.
The screw mechanism is based on the principle of removing metal shavings on a drill for metal (Archimedean spiral). On the shaft there are spirals in the form of disks with an inclination towards the center of the shaft, near which there is an opening for ejection of crushed snow outside. When snow gets into these disks, it is crushed, and due to their inclination, it is shifted to the hole for ejection of snow. And due to the speed of movement of the shaft, it is thrown out through this hole. Of course, the higher the speed of the shaft, the further the snow is thrown.
The nozzle itself is completely metal. On the bottom, it has runners, like on a regular sled, to slide on the snow. From the rear there is a special trailer for connection to the tiller. Depending on the models, there is a connection at the side or at the back for the transmission of power to the auger by means of a belt drive.
Installing the nozzle
The installation itself is not difficult, it is within the power of almost any person, even a little versed in technology.
Let’s consider the installation using the example of the Tiller Neva. At the end of the front of the device there is a special rod where you need to connect the nozzle. The nozzle is attached to the front of the tiller with two bolts. Next, the belt guard on the Neva is removed, where the connecting belt is installed. After installing the belt, it must be tightened, otherwise it will simply slip without transferring force to the auger in the cleaner. After installing the belt, do not forget to put the protective cover back in place, because there is a possibility of damage or even injury if the belt breaks: clothes can tighten there. The entire installation process takes a minimum of time.
There is a general set of safety rules for working with all auger snow blowers:
- Before clearing snow, check the area for foreign objects;
- Remove only flat area without holes, sharp hills;
- Dress in comfortable clothes without hanging elements that can catch on moving parts of the cultivator or objects on the ground;
- When the cultivator is on, do not try to remove any stuck objects from the snow thrower attachment. Any manipulations can be carried out only after the engine is completely turned off, the auger shaft stops;
- Always make sure that there are no people or animals on your way that could be damaged by a working snow blower;
- If you hear extraneous noise in the engine or auger of the snow blower, be sure to turn off the equipment, wait until the auger stops completely, and only then inspect the attachment to identify the cause of the noise. The same is true if a foreign object gets into the nozzle;
- Never point the snow discharge pipe at a person. Any living object (human or animal) must be at least 10 meters away. The danger of damage comes not only from the snow, but also from possible objects that may be in the snow, be it glass, sticks, cans or other foreign objects;
- Work should be done only during the day, during daylight hours;
- The snow blower and the tiller itself must not be used by a person under the influence of alcohol or any drugs.
The device of attachments for a motor cultivator
Tiller snow plow can be divided into two types.
The first, the simplest, is an ordinary blade, which many have seen on tractors and trucks. Here the principle is the same: the blade is attached in front, the cultivator rakes the snowdrifts in the direction of travel. This option is more suitable for powerful, heavy tillers. A small weak motor is not able to move a large snowdrift due to lack of weight: it will slip in place.
Garden tractor front blade / plow, attachment, implements at work, plowing dirt, DIY set up
The second option is a screw nozzle. They differ in the width of the fence, the speed of the auger, the throwing distance and the depth of the taken snow cover. Inside the casing for capturing snow, there is an auger that performs the function of crushing with the subsequent removal of snow to the side through a pipe located on top of the snowplow.
When choosing a snowplow, it is worth noting that pipes can be rotatable, as well as rigidly fixed.
It is important not to forget about the precautionary measure when cleaning the area: people or animals must not be in the direction of the snow throw at a distance of less than ten meters.
By what means does the capture take place? By means of a screw mechanism installed in an iron casing, which is driven by a belt drive.
If you have to clean large areas, walking with the tiller is not very easy. In order to make it easier to work with the unit, a trolley with a seat can be designed. Install it in front. This cart will be convenient to use when digging a vegetable garden. At the rear, you can adapt the mount for a car trailer, and you can transport goods using a trailer in a car trailer.
There is a feeling that there is no limit to alteration and refinement of tillers for your needs. There are also ready-made options and you can also do them yourself. Making such a trolley is even easier than a snow nozzle.
Make a small cart with a seat. When choosing wheels for a trolley, you should still rely on the same diameter as the wheels of the tiller. Although it can be used from a motorcycle. One of the options is to take the rear of the motorcycle along with the seat.
To be more precise, you practically do not work physically. Except when turning the snowplow. And if there is a cart at the back of the cultivator, snow cleaning in general turns into almost fun with skating clearing the area. Despite the fact that a ready-made snowplow costs about 25-30 thousand rubles. And the nozzle costs one and a half, two times less.
And if you do it yourself correctly according to the scheme, then much less. How much less to do it yourself already depends on the used scheme, materials. Many people can make for themselves almost free of charge if they have the necessary material in stock for making a nozzle.
Snow blower for tiller
Pros and cons of a snow blower on a tiller
- adaptation of attachments for any model of a tiller, regardless of the manufacturer’s name, year of manufacture and engine power;
- the ability to remove a densely compacted layer of snow that has accumulated on the site;
- there is no need to use physical effort to clean the area;
- manufacturers produce equipment with different indicators of technical characteristics and options for connecting to a tiller;
- the presence of protection that prevents premature wear of the augers;
- the ability to use in any area, regardless of the type of coverage.
The equipment is not without flaws.
- In terms of size and performance, attachments attached to the trailer are inferior to a full-fledged snowblower.
- a tiller with a snow plow must be prepared in advance, which is not always convenient. For example, for farmers who are accustomed to driving a tiller in summer and winter.
There are more advantages, but when making a choice, you need to pay attention to the disadvantages of equipment.
Tiller snow blower
It is recommended to install a do-it-yourself snow blower for a tiller for cleaning:
- parking lots;
- road bed;
- summer cottages.
To start using, it is enough to install a snow blower on the tiller according to the manufacturer’s instructions, fill the unit with fuel and start working. The duration of clearing the area from snow is determined by the area, type of precipitation (wet or frozen snow) and the performance of the tiller.
Installing a snow blower on a tiller
The owner can install a snow blower for the tiller with his own hands, if you follow the regulated instructions from the manufacturer. All common types of devices have the same installation principle. The differences lie only in certain design differences of a particular model.
The sequence of actions is as follows.
- Reinstalling the front tube, ensuring work with attachments.
- Installing the Hitch Bracket to the Snow Blower.
- Mounting the bracket to the front tiller tube.
- Adjustment of the alignment of the grooves on the pulleys installed on the snow blower by means of separate grooves located on the hitch bracket.
- Installing the drive belt.
- Installing the belt restraints on the tiller’s power unit.
- Installing the cable leading to the handle of the lever responsible for disengaging and engaging the clutch.
After completing the last action, the installed snow blower on the tiller can be started.
Tiller attachment or complete snow blower
When choosing equipment, it is necessary to focus on personal preferences and the specifics of a particular site. An attachment, for example a snow blower attachment for the Salute tiller, is suitable for those who already use the tiller and do not want to replenish their fleet with another device. For additional savings, you can develop a homemade rotary snow blower for a tiller, focusing on the drawings.
The snow blower is suitable for buyers who have a small area. a summer cottage or a country house. The power reserve of the equipment is enough to completely clear the yard from a thick layer of snow in 15-20 minutes. It is better to take a snow blower if the buyer does not have free space for storing the tiller and separate attachments.
People who know how to make a tiller snow blower can design an attachment right in the workshop. But this requires technical knowledge, understanding of the specifics of the tiller and the resource. For those owners who have a large area or do not have time to clean snow manually, a wheeled self-propelled snow blower is better suited.
The tiller snow blower is an attachment that makes it easier to clear snow in winter. When buying, you must make sure that you have technical documentation and a warranty card. The choice in favor of a particular model is based on the expected degree of snow coverage of the area, the type of coverage and the frequency of use.