How to make a potato planter for a power tiller with your own hands
Potato planter for power tiller with his own hands: dimensions, drawing pictures. homemade planter
The process of planting potatoes seems to be quite a labor-intensive job, especially if the vegetable garden area is quite large. Here already do not do without outside help, because in one person to do it is not only hard, but also long.
And what can one do if one has no opportunity to involve friends or relatives in planting?? The answer is simple. it is necessary to use those automated machines that specialize in such purposes.
Recently, power tillers have become very popular, which are real “assistants” of farmers in the management of their farms. With the help of this machine you can not only plow the land, but also plant potato tubers.
However, in this case, without additional equipment, can not do. specialized stores offer for this purpose quite a wide range of models of potato planters, designed for aggregation with power tillers (such as potato planter ksm 4).
But not everyone has extra money to buy such equipment, so there is a reasonable question. how to make a potato planter for power tiller with your own hands? Let’s try to answer this question in this article.
Potato planters differ in many ways, but in general they all resemble each other in their design. The machine consists of:
- frame, which has the wheels of the dual-drive type;
- bucket. Potatoes are loaded into it;
- The potato furrow former, which makes a hole in the ground;
- Bracket with a spoon or cup that plants the planting material;
- the furrow former.
The furrow former
Many models of potato planters at the same time, during planting, contribute a substance that fertilizes the soil. For this purpose, special models are sold, which are equipped with additional containers in addition to the sowing units.
All models work on the same principle:
- Potatoes are poured into a bucket. Place bags of potatoes on top so you don’t have to stop working every 10 minutes.
- Special brackets move it in the desired direction.
- The opener creates the holes that are filled with potatoes from the opener itself.
- The tubers are put in the ground.
During the work of the machine the discs move, so the potatoes are filled with soil. The distance between the furrows and the rows is adjusted by the farmer himself. As a rule of thumb, you have to leave at least 20 cm between the furrows and 70 cm between the rows.
The result will be straight and uniform rows. Once you have planted the potatoes at the same distance and buried them thanks to the burial discs, there is one last thing to do: there are traces of the machine’s work on the vegetable garden, which must be removed.
This can be done with the help of a cultivator. How to choose a cultivator for country houses, read here.
Potato planter for power tiller with your own hands will make your life easier and will save not only money, but also the time that you spend on planting. If you are going to build it, it is worth considering the weight of the potato planter.
Models that do not have a lot of weight, can work with minitractors or power tillers with small capacity. For example, for MTZ 320 traction capacity should be 0,6. about potato planters for MTZ. here.
But mostly potato planter units have a big weight, so when mounting it on a single axle tractor or coupling with a tractor it’s necessary to calculate front and rear counterweight. The latter will not allow the equipment to be lifted, at the same time ensuring its reliable and qualitative work and durability.
On a potato planter frame it is obligatory to install a place for sitting and a footrest on which you will put your legs.
The frame for the seat can be made from a couple of welded corners, and for the seat itself you can use planks, which should then be covered with foam rubber or other material of your choice.
Potato planters of various kinds
There are several types of potato planters on the market with different shapes, sizes and functions. The price range of such devices is also different. You can buy both expensive multipurpose models and inexpensive budget devices.
Small-sized potato planters are used for planting seed potatoes in the suburban or garden.
The design of the device is equipped with a regulator of the depth for planting tubers and height of soil ridge, formed by raising the soil.
Compact potato planters are suitable for power tillers of both domestic and foreign manufacturers.
The weight of the device is on average about 20-25 kg. Hopper volume is up to 34 l. With its help it is possible to cultivate rows from 60 to 75 cm in width and plant 6-7 potatoes per meter. Planting speed is 0.2 ha/h.
These potato planters have a capacity tank of 44 liters. These are fairly large heavy planters, they weigh 41 kg and have a capacity of 0.2-0.25 ha/h. These planters can be combined with medium- and heavy-duty tractors.
Used for large areas. have a big hopper that is filled with potatoes from a dump truck. Attached to the tractor. These are powerful, expensive machines used in agriculture and farming.
Potato planters vary in price. Large, multi-purpose machines are more expensive than small planters.
- Container volume. Powerful large planters have a big hopper. They are convenient to use, because you do not need to frequently pour tubers into the hopper and stop the single-axle tractor for this purpose. For a small garden plot, you can buy cheaper models of devices with a smaller tank volume, quite enough for processing small areas.
- The possibility of completing with power tillers of different types. The more options for coupling are provided, the easier to pick up a planter, and the more expensive it will be. If you have limited funds you can buy an inexpensive potato planter and its adapters, which also allow completing it with any power tiller.
Potato planter can be made at home, because it does not require any rare components and special tools. Homemade potato planters, the drawings of which can be freely found on the Internet, are made of the following materials:
- The frame, consisting of steel pipes and angles for attaching the other parts of the design to it;
- tank (hopper) for potato tubers;
- Gears, which will drive the entire planting mechanism in action;
- Steel parts that form the holes in which the potatoes will be planted, as well as burying them afterwards;
- wheel base.
These are all the components of the construction of a homemade potato planter, which you need to make, or take from old agricultural equipment. Naturally, in the work can not do without a welder, an angle grinder, as well as the availability of various channels, longitudinal bars and other related materials.
It is also possible to make a fertilizer dispenser for potato planter with your own hands, with the help of which will be carried out simultaneous planting and fertilization of holes. This is quite common, because at manual planting they often use a mixture of ash and chicken manure, or manure, with the addition of phosphorus fertilizer.
This, of course, is not necessary, but the additional fertilizer will contribute to the rapid ripening of the crop, which is important in our regions, where the summer is short enough.
About what you need a snowplow for on a dacha plot, you can learn from this article.
For an example, read the article about Honda snow blower. a description of the model range, the main characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of models.
And in this article. presented a detailed instruction on how to make a snowplow to a power tiller by yourself.
Automatic potato planter
At first the frame for the automatic potato planter is made of 8x channel bars. A special plywood bunker for 15-20 kg of potatoes is attached to it, in which the elevator is vertically strengthened, which has special bowls with a size of 5-8 cm.
To make this design work, it is connected to the drive wheel with a chain gear.
Under the elevator is strengthened tube-sewer, which is pressed by the rake.
Did you know that you can make a concrete pump with their own hands, which will come in handy in the construction of the house?
You can read all about choosing a universal mini-tractor for dacha here.
The sprocket attached to this design has a diameter of 8 cm, and the sprocket on the tiller has a diameter of 16 cm.
They make the chain gear work, which can be made on the basis of a bicycle chain. The distance between the potatoes for planting is 35 cm.
Block: 2/5 | characters: 889
Manual potato planters
In addition to mechanized devices for power tillers, there are also manual versions, thanks to which the planting of tubers of root crops is facilitated, but require certain physical effort. Such devices are simple to make and have many variants:
- The simplest one is the cone punch. The device is sunk into the ground to a certain depth, but it requires a physical effort. In the process, a hole is created in which the potato root is lowered. Then the puncher is removed and the hole is closed.
- The following version is made of a metal pipe and is a little improved. One edge of the tube is cut at an acute angle. A container for tubers is installed on top, and a valve is installed in the pipe. Potato tubers are fed from above and poured through the hole. The potato enters the soil, and after removing the device is covered with soil.
- The third type of device is called a “bird’s beak”, as it is made in the form of a beak and is driven into the ground in a closed position. When the “beak” is opened, the potatoes are placed and remain in the soil.
Block: 3/10 | Number of characters: 1137
Manual potato planters
In addition to mechanized devices for power tillers, there are also manual versions, which facilitate the planting of root crops, but require some physical effort. Such devices are simple to make and have many variants:
- The simplest one is the cone punch. The device deepens into the ground to a certain depth, but it requires physical effort. In the process, a hole is created, in which the potato root is lowered. Then the puncher is removed and the hole is closed.
- The next version is made from a metal pipe and slightly improved. One edge of the tube is cut at an acute angle. A container for the tubers is placed on top, and a valve is installed in the tube. The potatoes are pushed from above and poured out through a hole. Potatoes fall into the soil, and after removing the device is covered with earth.
- The third type of device has the folk name “bird’s beak”, because it is made in the form of a beak and is driven into the ground in the closed position. When opening the “beak” the potatoes are placed and remain in the soil.
Block: 3/10 | Number of characters: 1137
What will be needed for production
To make a power tiller you do not need any rare and expensive tools.
The simplest version of this device consists of six basic elements
The unit can be improved by adding new parts to its design, for example, a tank for fertilizers or a couple of planting modules. However, as the number of parts increases, the single-axle tractor becomes heavier, and therefore it becomes more difficult to control it during work.
For self-made potato planter for a motor-block, the tank from an old washing machine is usually used. It serves as a potato hopper. Also self-taught craftsmen use a metal angle, steel wire, chain, gear, rebar, a pair of wheels from old vehicles, channel.
From the tools you will need the simplest devices:
This is the minimum necessary to make a homemade machine. In fact, a self-made potato planter is a cart attached to the power tiller.
But only at first glance the design seems uncomplicated: if you look closely, you can find many features in it.
Unit: 3/4 | Number of characters: 1339
What track should a power tiller have when planting potatoes??
To plant potatoes with a power tiller you need to observe a number of technical nuances, among which the width of the track, planting depth and distance between the tubers are particularly important.
The farmer needs to adjust the unit to the following parameters:
- The width of the track should be between 55 and 65 cm, which will ensure the normal rise of the crop and easy maintenance process.
- The distance between each hole should be 25 to 30 cm.
- Planting depth. from 10 to 15 cm.
It is important to make sure that the width of the track when planting the potato planter is equal and not disrupted. To do this initially set up your machine, you can also pull ropes, by which you can monitor the evenness and correctness of the furrows.
How to make a potato planter for a power tiller with your own hands?
It is a high-quality set for planting potatoes is a necessary and important assistant of any dacha farmer. But if you do not want to buy such additional equipment, you can try to make a potato planter with your own hands.
The potato planter consists of the following elements:
All these components will have to be made by yourself. To make sure you get it right, it’s best to use the drawings. You can draw them yourself if you have an idea, or use a ready-made diagram. To make a potato planter we will need:
- Sheet metal of different widths and lengths;
- Nuts and bolts;
- welding machine;
- angle grinder;
- extra wheels.
Self-made potato planter is a small cart on wheels, which is attached to the tiller. To make it, you need to follow certain steps.
- Let’s create a frame construction of a potato planterWeld channels and longitudinal side members between each other for this purpose. They need to be connected by three transversal elements.At the front of the structure set the arch with a fork fastener and a central tie rod, here also install two rings for fixing the lower tie rod.On the side you need to fix the plate supports for fixing the discs for furrowing and seed pipes.After that the frame is stiffened and reinforced with steel strips. Also the arch is reinforced by putting steel braces on it.
- Wheels, holders and rippers of the potato planterPotato planter wheels can be any type of small equipment. You can also make the wheels yourself out of steel plates.Then the wheels are mounted on the spikes of the axle with the help of bearings and are firmly fastened. Holders for ripper tines are created by welding. The boom is assembled in a square shape, for which metal angles are used. On both sides of the boom mount the rims, in which the tilling element posts will be inserted. The gap between the uprights and the cushioning must not exceed one millimeter.The planter is made of thick-walled steel tube with a cross section of 100mm. From below a furrow cutter is attached to the tube, and must be adjustable. For this purpose belt struts are attached to the frame and by loosening them the coulter bar can be adjusted.Disks for making furrows are put on the back of the planting device. The wheels of the structure are equipped with grousers, between them we install a wooden disc with four semicircular slots. It will grab the potatoes and move them into the dug holes.
- Making a hopper for seedsIt is best to create it from metal sheets, the thickness of which is from 3 mm. The working principle is as follows:
- The four sides are measured and cut according to a template.
- All components are connected by welding, and the bottom is covered with rubber, which will prevent damage to tubers.
There are many ways of making a homemade potato planter. It will be necessary if the farmer does not want to spend money on expensive attachments, but intends to make the work on the site simplified.
The potato planter with my own hands for my power tiller
Growing potatoes. a very hard job. Its planting, hilling and harvesting are physically demanding. The problem becomes especially acute if the area of the crops exceeds 15 hectares. To at least slightly simplify the work, you can automate the process. If a farm has a one-axle tractor or a minitractor, the work can facilitate automatic potato harvester and potato farrow. Such specific equipment is purchased together with a power tiller, but sometimes its exceed the cost of the power tiller itself, making it not too accessible to a wide range of users. The way out of this situation can be to make these devices with their own hands. They are quite complicated, so to produce them you must know the basics of mechanics, have experience in welding and mechanical assembly work. About how to make a potato digger and potato planter with your own hands. further in article.
The principle of work and the device of a potato-plower
The potato planter is a trailer for the power tiller. The principle of its operation is based on automatic feeding of the planting material from the hopper into the furrow. Following the motorized cultivator, thanks to the plough mounted on the frame, the device makes the hole of a set depth. Then the potatoes are transported from the potato bin into the hole via a chain conveyor which rotates due to the rotation of the potato planting wheels. After that, two disks installed at the tail end of the frame bury the hole with the potatoes planted.
The dimensions of the potato planter with your own hands are chosen individually depending on the power of your power tiller. Precise spacing of the conveyor belts ensures that the tubers are planted uniformly over the entire row.
The main parts of the potato planter for the power tiller, made by your own hands:
-Frame. All working elements of the machine are installed on it. The frame is made as a welded metal construction from profile pipe. The material is strong enough but lightweight. In the front part of the frame there is a hitch device, which ensures the coupling of the machine to the power tiller.
-Hopper. Designed for loading planting material into the machine. Made in the shape of inverted pyramid. This shape is necessary so that the potatoes always fall down. If this is not done, some of the bowls on the conveyor belt will be empty when moving, resulting in uneven planting. Thin sheet metal is used for manufacturing the hopper.
-The chain conveyor. Made of motorcycle or bicycle chain with cups welded to its surface. The conveyor is driven by a drive sprocket mounted on the wheel shaft. Connects at the top to the idler sprocket.
-Plow. Is set before the planting material feeder. Its job is to produce a cavity in which the potatoes will be planted.
-Disc harrows. Installed at an angle to the potato planter axis at the tail end. They are necessary for burying the hole with planted potatoes.
Making a potato planter with their own hands
To make a home potato planter for a power tiller is quite difficult. Some operations (welding and turning work) will still have to be done in a production environment. Before starting work, it is better to make drawings of potato planter for a motor block with their own hands. This will help to calculate the amount of material and determine the best sequence of work.
For the production of this work will need:
-Sheet steel, up to 2mm thick, for welding the hopper.
-25×25 mm section steel pipe for welding the frame.
-Two identical sprockets with a diameter of 80 mm.
-The wheel axle (will have to be bored out to the size of the used bearings and the inside planting diameter of the sprocket).
-Wheel hubs to mount drive wheels.
-A plow (plough). It must be made from a piece of sturdy sheet metal, since it will be under high pressure.
1.First the frame is welded, on which all working parts will be mounted. It is welded from profile pipe. Conveyor struts and longitudinal members are welded to the frame to give the structure rigidity. Also a towbar is welded to it for coupling with a power tiller.
2.From below the fixing elements for plough, discs, shells and bearing housings are welded.
3.Next, the shaft is assembled. The drive sprocket for the conveyor belt is slid onto the shaft and fixed with a key. The shaft itself is fitted into the bearings. The wheel hub is mounted on the end of it.
4.The next step is to make the conveyor bowls. It is made of ø 6 mm thick wire in the shape of a ring with a diameter of 60 mm (the average size of the planting of a tuber). A piece of wire is welded to the bottom of the ring, making a bowl recess.
5.The ready bowl is welded to the fixture. The latter is welded to the chain links. Depending on the diameter of the drive sprocket, the wheel and the length of the chain you can experimentally estimate the pitch of the transporter cups, so that the distance between the planting tubers will be 25 to 30 cm.
6.After the conveyor chain is ready, proceed to the installation of idle (tensioning) sprocket and the tensioning device of the potato planter, made by hand. The principle of its operation is the same as that of the bicycle chain tensioning.
7.Then the hopper is mounted. It must be assembled in such a way that the working part of the transporter goes through it and grabs the planting material. In doing so the chain must not come into contact with the hopper walls as this would destroy the hopper.
8.After that, you must install the chain. To pull the chain through the opening of the hopper, the chain must be loosened. Then it is connected and placed in the workplace.
9.The idle side of the transporter is covered with a chute made of thin galvanized steel. This is done in order to prevent the potatoes from falling in the wrong place during the shifting of the conveyor belt.
Drawings of a potato planter for a power tiller.
Calculation of gears of the chain rotation mechanism with potato planter bowls.
The frame of a potato planter is welded from a profile pipe, as the hopper you can use the tank from a Soviet washing machine “Riga” or a similar cone-shaped container.
The bearings with the lower axle and the drive sprocket under the chain and the vertical racks under the upper axle with the sprocket are attached to the frame.
On the sides of the chain welded rings buckets of 6 mm wire, weld buckets need such a way as not to weld the joints between the links of the chain.
To prevent the tubers falling out of the buckets prematurely, a guide pipe should be installed, alternatively a plastic drainpipe 100 mm in diameter could be used.
Two angularly adjustable pivoting discs are installed for furrow filling.
I recommend to see video of making a home-made potato planter.
Block: 5/5 | Number of characters: 980
Block: 4/5 | Number of characters: 1
Specific points of use of the potato planter for the power tiller
If you have decided to use a potato planter for your power tiller, read the details of its use to understand how to adjust the device and the actual planting process.
The potato-planter should be tuned right
Setting up the power tiller and potato planter
Before planting the soil is ploughed, harrowed and moistened. Make adjustments to the unit and the device to ensure the following points:
- Creation of furrow of suitable depth;
- Ensure a sufficient distance between the furrows;
- stable operation of the feeding mechanism of the planting material.
Recommendations for planting potatoes
So that the high weight of the potato planter does not cause the single axle tractor to change its position and be stable, it is worth taking care of the ballast that is attached to the front of the machine. Speed of the machine should be about 1 km/h. furrow forming and covering of planted potatoes with soil is made with the help of special embedding discs. Special cultivation tines should prevent the formation of tracks after the tiller has passed.
Whenever possible the potatoes to be planted should be of the same size. It should be carefully prepared for cultivation.
Block: 4/9 | Number of characters: 1269
Top 3 factory models of potato planters
Among the factory models of potato planters for power tillers the following are the most popular:
Important! The name of these models stands for one-row potato planter (CS: GO), the number “1” after the hyphen. Additional letters “M” and “A” designate modifications (improvements) of earlier models.
- Type. single-row, trailed;
- Weight. 25 kg;
- The track is 700 mm;
- Hopper capacity. 40 liters;
- Performance. 0.15-0.2 g./ hour;
- Required power of power tiller. from 6 liters.с.;
- Price. 12000-14500
- Type. single-row, trailed;
- Weight.33 kg;
- Track. 600 mm;
- Hopper Capacity. 34 l;
- Productivity. 0,25 g.6 l/hour;
- Required power of power tillage. from 6 l.с.;
- Price. 15000-16000
KCM-1A is a productive and convenient potato planter
- Type. one-row, trailed;
- Weight. 44 kg;
- Track. 600 mm;
- Hopper capacity. 41 l;
- Capacity0,25 g./ hour;
- Required power of power tiller. from 6 liters per hour.с.;
- Price. 15500-16000
All these models work well with power tillers, both domestic (“MTZ”, “Neva”, “Salut”) and foreign-made (“VIKING”, “CAIMAN”, “DAEWOO”).
Thus, an inexpensive home-made potato planter for power tiller is a very convenient, easy-to-use, but much easier work for a countryman or a small farmer unit. Manufactured from materials available to everyone, such a self-made machine, compared to store analogues, will have a cost several times lower, not conceding them in quality and reliability.
Block: 3/4 | Number of characters: 1609
Potato planters for mini-tractor and power tillers: the main differences
Many potato planter models can be attached to both a tractor and a power tiller. Usually they are small constructions, allowing you to form two rows of potatoes. Models designed specifically for mini-tractors have more weight and dimensions. They can be used to form 1 to 2 rows at the same time.
Potato planters for mini-tractors allow you to change the speed of movement, as well as the distance and depth at which the tubers are put into the hole. They can grow up to four rows at a time, while the power tiller models do not.
productive models for minitractors
Block: 6/9 | Number of characters: 692
Number of blocks: 14 | Total number of characters: 17589Number of used donors: 7Information on each donor: