How To Properly Assemble Cutters On A Walk-Behind Tractor
How to choose and install the cutters on the walk-behind tractor?
How to choose milling cutters for a walk-behind tractor? How to correctly assemble active cutters with your own hands? What are the best milling cutters for virgin soil? What is a crow’s feet cutter and what is it for?
Houndstooth cutters are considered one of the most demanded on the market due to their high quality and reliability. The main disadvantage of such cutters is considered to be their non-separable design, which makes it impossible to carry out repairs in case of failure. However, if you choose a high-quality option, then it will be able to serve for many years, fully fulfilling its obligations. Among the main advantages of using such cutters are the following.
- The ability to decide for yourself how many sections of the plate can be put on the walk-behind tractor. However, it is important to take into account the technical features of the device and the required milling width.
- A robust design that allows the walk-behind tractor to be used for processing hard soils.
- It copes much better with plant residues.
- A unique sleeve that can be of several shapes. Hexagonal and round options are considered optimal. This allows you to choose the right option for any walk-behind tractor, regardless of its type and other indicators.
- Reduces the load on the gearbox, which prevents the device from overheating and has a positive effect on the durability of the equipment.
- It greatly simplifies the process of controlling the walk-behind tractor.
Such rotary tillers are considered one of the most popular and demanded on the market. It is with these varieties that factory walk-behind tractors are completed. Depending on their purpose and design, these cutters can be assembled and collapsible. In the process of choosing, a person decides for himself which walk-behind tractor he needs, but it will not work to choose a certain type of cutter. If the equipment was originally equipped with an assembled version, then in the future it will be possible to use exclusively such models.
The cutter design may differ depending on the manufacturer and other features. It usually includes a pair of sections that are bolted together. The cultivation width, which can vary depending on the addition of sections, is of great importance when operating such an element.
A distinctive feature of the factory cutter is that it is offered complete with a walk-behind tractor. It will be quite enough for standard tasks. But it should be borne in mind that rotary tillers from a Chinese walk-behind tractor cannot boast of impressive efficiency. If low-quality metal was used in the production process, then problems will arise already during the first processing.
How to choose and install the cutters on the walk-behind tractor?
- The importance of making the right choice
- Factory cutters
- Crow’s feet
- Saber models
- Installing the cutter
The choice of cutters for a walk-behind tractor is a responsible process, because this element plays an important role in the process of ensuring the efficiency of the device. In order to choose the right cutters, you need to understand the distinctive features of these products, understand what types and types of cutters exist.
Such elements are considered very durable and reliable due to the fact that only steel is used in the production process. In addition, such models boast a unique design that makes them resistant to any mechanical damage. Saber-shaped models are included in the standard set of most motoblocks of European and American production. The effectiveness of such elements has been tested in areas with any type of soil, which favorably distinguishes them against the background of other models. These cutters are of high quality and high strength, which allows for high-quality soil cultivation.
The main feature of saber knives is that carbon steel is used for the manufacture of working bodies, which guarantees the reliability of every detail even after a year of active operation. In addition, the knives are specially treated and hardened using high-frequency currents, thanks to which they boast incredibly high durability.
The importance of making the right choice
Many novice summer residents think that the most important thing is to purchase a high-quality walk-behind tractor, but they do not pay due attention to the choice of cutters. Such a mistake can be costly when processing the territory, since the correct choice of cutters affects the following points.
- Cultivation quality. If you purchase and use high-quality cutters, you can even do without a plow.
- Saving time. Good cutters allow you to spend a minimum amount of time on carrying out certain work on the processing of a summer cottage.
- Mills provide ease of control of the walk-behind tractor. An incorrectly selected part can cause increased stress on the operator during the milling process.
In addition, poor milling cutters can put an increased load on the gearbox of the walk-behind tractor, which will negatively affect its durability and performance. It is necessary to choose such elements guided by many factors, including the power and type of soil to be treated.
Another popular type of milling cutter for a walk-behind tractor is “virgin soil”, which is in great demand due to its spiral shape. A distinctive feature of this species is its one-piece design, which allows it to cope without problems even with colossal loads.
The main disadvantage is the slow operation, as well as the fact that during the tillage the soil is pushed out, as a result of which small holes sometimes appear.
As for the advantages, there are a huge number of them, among which the following can be distinguished:
- Unlike other types of milling cutters for a walk-behind tractor, it copes well with virgin soil;
- Characterized by an impressive depth of cultivation;
- Allows you to process the soil with high quality;
- It is distinguished by a monolithic structure, which is a sign of reliability, strength and durability.
Correctly, accurately and clearly written text instructions for assembling the cutter is a necessary document for the production of this work. However, it is also very convenient if you have a high-quality assembly diagram of a cutter for a walk-behind tractor at hand. After all, information is often better perceived by a person precisely through pictures, and not through words. That is, one in this case perfectly complements the other. Also, on the Internet, you can easily find a lot of cutter assemblies, including those where the master not only assembles the cutter, but also at the same time explains what exactly he is doing. This makes it much clearer for the audience.
How to properly assemble cutters on a walk-behind tractor
A walk-behind tractor is a truly versatile machine, which is an excellent assistant for a farmer whose farm size has not yet reached the size that it becomes necessary to purchase a tractor. In addition, the walk-behind tractor is much more compact. Depending on the installed attachments, it can replace many individual units, saving the owner a lot of money. The milling cutter is one of the most important types of “hitch”. Therefore, many owners are racking their brains over how to assemble cutters on a walk-behind tractor and how difficult it is to do it yourself.
Types of cutters
- Active saber-shaped. Are included in the standard equipment of many motoblocks. Well known among farmers and very popular. The structure is collapsible, which greatly facilitates transportation, storage, installation, repair and maintenance. Blocks are installed on the rotating axis (their number varies), each of which consists of four cutting mechanisms located at an angle of 90 degrees in relation to each other. They are held together with washers, bolts and nuts. A knife is a strip of metal bent in different directions in turn. The number of such knives, as well as the width of the module, depend on the power and weight of the equipment. They are made of high-strength hardened steel, which in addition is treated with high frequency electric current;
- “Crow’s feet”. This species, which appeared relatively recently, got its name because of its characteristic unusual shape, thanks to which it is possible to achieve excellent work efficiency, including on solid soils. The design is all-welded, it cannot be disassembled. The material is carbon steel, which is not the best way to affect the strength, so you need to work the land very carefully. Otherwise you can bend the product. However, repairs and welding can be done if necessary. At the end of the rack there is a triangle-shaped knife. It is self-sharpening. This means that it is allowed not to sharpen it at all if the equipment is used correctly.
Purpose of the cutter
One of the most important processes in the cultivation of land is its cultivation. In the course of this work, plowing occurs, but there is no rotation of the seam. That is, the lower layer is not brought to the surface. The technique (in this case, a walk-behind tractor) performs passes of a given depth and at the same time loosens and crumbles the upper section. Externally, the field looks trimmed. Weed rhizomes are cut at the same time. And then you can apply fertilizers. Cultivation also has other advantages. Improved air access, accelerated heating of the earth, saturation of the soil with useful elements, the flag is kept. To perform this operation, you need a cutter.
Installation on a walk-behind tractor
The finished structure is installed on the walk-behind tractor instead of the native wheels. This is not difficult, provided that the preliminary assembly was carried out correctly:
- Prepare the walk-behind tractor.
- Lean the entire mechanism on the ralnik (it is also called the opener).
- Tilt at 45 degrees.
- Install the so-called tragus made of wood under the handle of the walk-behind tractor.
- Just remove the wheels with which the walk-behind tractor is supplied from the factory.
Assembling the cutter
The active saber cutter is supplied unassembled from the manufacturing plant. This is due not only to the fact that this makes the product more compact (that is, it is cheaper and easier to transport), but also to the peculiarities of the metal, which does not like welding. Before installing the cutter on the walk-behind tractor, you need to assemble it.
Elements of milling cutters for motoblocks
Elements of cutters are necessary for cultivating the soil. The quality of processing directly depends on the model of equipment and the complexity of the procedure.
The milling cutter comes complete with a walk-behind tractor. But in cases where it is necessary to increase the width and depth of processing, the unit should be equipped with appropriate elements. In addition, the use of additional equipment allows you to simplify the movement of the walk-behind tractor, as well as increase its service life.
For the processing of clay soil, experts recommend using two pairs of tiller-cultivators. You can change the depth by adjusting the opener, which is a solid structure located in the hitch of the walk-behind tractor in a vertical position. In this case, the final loosening depth will directly depend on the diameter of the cultivator cutter.
To better understand the principle of operation of special equipment, first it is worth understanding the main types of cutters, among which two types of construction can be distinguished:
- Unit with saber-shaped legs;
- “Crow’s feet”.
Saber cutters for a walk-behind tractor are by far the most demanded. This is a universal type of design characterized by high efficiency. This model has an optimal shape. Legs are usually made of high quality durable steel. In addition, the material is additionally subjected to thermal hardening, and also undergoes processing using high-frequency current.
The design, called “crow’s feet”, is commonly used for working hard soil. This type of mechanism is non-separable. Products of this type show their effectiveness in weed control and in the cultivation of virgin lands. Their main drawback is the material from which the equipment is made. Carbon steel has the most direct effect on the strength of the product, so the soil should be treated with the crow’s feet cutter as carefully as possible. Otherwise, the mechanism may deform.
How to assemble a milling cutter for a walk-behind tractor
Nowadays, the process of cultivating the land takes much less time than it did half a century ago. Modern manufacturers of agricultural machinery offer a wide variety of all kinds of equipment designed to make the work of farmers and land owners automated. For example, a walk-behind tractor is a type of compact and multifunctional special equipment designed to solve various problems related to the processing of small plots of land. The walk-behind tractor itself is a basic unit, which is equipped with additional equipment. Further in this article we will figure out how to assemble a milling cutter for a walk-behind tractor and achieve the maximum level of its performance.
How to assemble a saber cutter on a walk-behind tractor
Installing the cutter on the walk-behind tractor is not at all difficult, but first you need to assemble it correctly, setting the desired direction of rotation: the sharpened part of the mechanism should cut into the soil.
The tiller should be leaned against the opener, and then tilted about 45 degrees. Then the tragus must be placed under the handlebar and simply removed the wheel.
Assembling a cutter for a walk-behind tractor is a process that is quickly mastered, but before starting it, you should decide on the functions that the finished unit should perform. If you decide to assemble the cutter yourself, you should first make a rough drawing. After assembly, it is necessary to test the unit and make appropriate adjustments to its design, if necessary. The assembly diagram of cutters for a walk-behind tractor will allow you to understand in more detail the design of the unit.
Benefits of working with cutters
The Grasshopper Tiller is a form of agricultural machinery used to cultivate and loosen soil. The tool ensures the creation of the most suitable conditions for obtaining a high-quality and rich harvest. Among the advantages of this mechanism, one can single out its versatility: for example, the equipment copes well with milling work, is used for crumbling the earth after frost, mixing soil layers, crushing plant humus, and killing weeds.
The website of the manufacturer Grasshopper presents a wide range of modern high-quality special equipment designed to make working with the land easier, faster and more productive. We are engaged in the production and sale of only high-quality gardening, construction and agricultural equipment.
Self-installation of cutters on a walk-behind tractor
Self-installation of equipment on a walk-behind tractor is performed in exactly the same way, both for saber cutters and for “crow’s feet” devices.
In any case, the procedure is as follows:
- Place the manufactured cutters on a special wooden “goat”, about 0.5 m high;
- Gently tilt the walk-behind tractor at an angle of 45 °, and rest it on the opener;
- Place the “tragus” under the handlebar grip of the walk-behind tractor;
- Dismantle the standard wheels of the agricultural machine, and replace them with homemade cutters;
- On the left and right outer ends of the cutters, securely fasten the discs for the cutters. They will significantly improve the movement of the walk-behind tractor with cutters and make it smoother and more stable.
After completing all the above steps, you can start processing the soil. During work, do not forget to monitor the reliability of fastening the plates that fix the main and additional cutters on the walk-behind tractor.
Which cutters are better for a walk-behind tractor. We decide on the choice
Many novice farmers find it quite difficult to decide on the right cutters for the job. In fact, there is nothing difficult about this. You just need to study and compare the qualities and characteristics of different types of equipment. The cutters available on the market are divided into 2 types:
- Saber cutters. Devices of this type are in the highest demand, it is these cutters that are included in the delivery set of many walk-behind tractors. Among the main reasons for the popularity of mills of this type should be highlighted the highest efficiency, the ability to cultivate any soil, including that previously untouched by agricultural machinery. High-quality models of saber cutters are made in 2 stages: first, products of increased strength are formed from carbon steel. At the next stage of production, knives are subject to prolonged heat treatment under the influence of high-frequency currents. The main feature of high-quality saber-shaped devices is the impossibility of welding cutting surfaces;
- Cutters “crow’s feet”. Equipment of this type appeared on the market relatively recently. In practice, hard soil lends itself to processing with such devices. Free of hard weeds. The high efficiency of these cutters is achieved due to their specific shape. The latter also allows you not to harm the roots of the planted plants during the cultivation of the garden. Among the main disadvantages of this kind of devices, one should highlight their low strength and a lot of inconveniences during repair.
When buying any of these types of cutters, be sure to consider the type of soil to be processed before and after planting.
How to assemble correctly cutters on a walk-behind tractor. Manufacturing of saber equipment
Immediately before making the saber-shaped rotor attachments, we advise you to study the drawings that will tell you the correct procedure for assembling the equipment.
Any saber cutter for a walk-behind tractor consists of two interconnected blocks, each of which contains 12 cutters. The design of one separate unit includes 3 units, each of which is equipped with 4 cutting knives. The latter, in turn, are located in relation to 30 ° in relation to each other. The assembly of saber devices is performed as follows:
- First, make a stand using a 6.3 × 4 cm corner;
- Weld one end of the stand to the flange so that later you can combine 4 cutting knives with each other;
- Connect all cutting elements of the cutter to each other by means of flanges and bolts with washers.
A rotary cutter manufactured in this way has high strength and stability, which will allow you to use it for processing soils of any density.
Cutters for walk-behind tractor
Milling cutters are one of the most commonly used types of equipment for motoblocks. It is quite difficult to overestimate the role of milling cutters in agriculture, because these devices allow you to process the soil with high quality and fully prepare it for further planting with minimal time from the efforts of the farmer.
Production of crow’s feet cutters
Immediately before assembling this type of fixture, you will need to carefully prepare for work. With tools and materials you will need:
- Steel pipe, 4.2 cm in diameter;
- Steel plates for making cutting knives;
- Welding machine;
- Grinder with a set of disks.
The active crow’s feet cutter is assembled in the following order:
- For the manufacture of cutting elements, you can use the springs from the car. Cut them into equal pieces, then weld them to a steel pipe that plays the role of a base;
- Sharpen the edges of the cutting elements and weld them to the base used;
- After assembling the equipment, start it and make the necessary settings. At the same time, keep in mind that after starting the walk-behind tractor, the knives of the equipment should hang in the air, and not touch the ground.
In order for the crow’s feet cutter to last as long as possible, it must be slowly lowered to the ground. Otherwise, the equipment may break down.
Homemade milling cutters for a walk-behind tractor. The procedure for manufacturing equipment
The simple design of milling cutters for motoblocks allows you to make such devices with your own hands. Below we will consider the correct procedure for the manufacture of different types of equipment for plowing the soil.