How to Replace Fishing Line On a Benzokos. Types of Fishing Line, Cord Selection Rules
The main consumable of any brushcutter or trimmer is fishing line, by means of which the green shoots are mowed. The average linear meter of fishing line enough for mowing a plot of 0.75-1 weaving. Of course, a lot depends on the power of the scythe, as well as on the diameter and cross section of the fishing line itself.
Unlike metal discs and knives, fishing line easily copes with cutting weed greens. If we talk about mowing shrubs or dead wood, then the fishing line almost completely loses its effectiveness.
Over time, the fishing line is shortened to a minimum threshold length. Most often, a short cord independently jumps out of the coil, under the action of centrifugal force. When the drum has fully developed the line, her resource needs to be replenished. This review will tell you how to replace a scythe line on a brushcutter, and will also touch on the topic of choosing a fishing line for a trimmer.
Despite the abundance of brands, petrol scythes have approximately the same device coils (spools). The most widespread motor scythes with a drum for 2 antennae. Still there are 1-antennae mowers, but they usually have a minimum power of not more than 500 (W). As a rule, from 1.5 to 3-4 meters of fishing line is placed in the drum. The permissible length of the line is usually indicated on the drum body. There you can also find the tolerance field regarding the optimum cord diameter. By the way, the choice of diameter and cross-section of the fishing line will be discussed at the end of the review.
So, how to replace a scythe fishing line.
Replacing fishing line in the drum with 2 antennae
It should be noted right away that in a traditional petrol scythe fishing line is charged into the drum completely by hand. Additionally, there are petrol scythes with semi-automatic refueling fishing line. There are usually no questions about semi-automatic coils; the operator just needs to insert the fishing line into the holes and wind its ends with a rotary whirl.
As a rule, professional petrol scythes, that is, models for the frequent execution of a large amount of work, are completed simple drum, involving the manual winding of fishing line. Thanks to the simple design, such coils acquire highest level of reliability and durability.
- In the beginning it is necessary completely stop the mower. If this is an electric model, then be sure to remove the plug from the outlet. If this is a cordless trimmer, then you need to disconnect the battery, of course, if it is removable.
- Followed by disconnect spindle, that is, the reel itself with the drum for fishing line. As a rule, the spindle is simply unscrewed; there are no additional clamps or latches on it. The spindle position must first be fixed. Especially for this, a hole is provided in the drum, which must be combined with the hole in the casing. In the combined holes you need to insert a metal rod (nail, drill, etc.).
Please note that the coil has a non-standard right-hand thread. It unscrews from left to right. This is done specifically so that the spindle does not unscrew spontaneously during the mowing process.
- Disconnect the drum cover. She rests on a pair of latches. As a rule, to open the cover, you just need to squeeze the locks. If you can’t squeeze the latches with your fingers, you can resort to using an impact screwdriver.
- Cooking fishing line. You need to cut the fishing line and fold it in half. We bend the center of the fishing line so that a comfortable hook is obtained from the rounded loop.
- We loop in a special groove on the central partition.
- We wind the fishing line so that the central partition divides the fishing line folded in half into 2 separate channels. Usually you need to wind the line against the direction of rotation of the spindle. When winding the fishing line against the course of rotation, it becomes possible to semi-automatically / automatically feed the fishing line.
Video: How to Replace Fishing Line On a Benzokos. Types of Fishing Line, Cord Selection Rules
Semi-automatic feed. this is when to lengthen the fishing line, in the process of mowing, you just need to press the push button to the ground. Automatic feeding involves self-pulling fishing line while reducing the center of gravity of the cutting antennae.
Many drums are marked with a pointer. As you know, the line needs to be wound in the direction that the arrow points to. Marking may not be in those drums where the line needs to be fed manually, on a completely stopped and disconnected scythe.
- We insert the terminal antennae into the spindle holes, through which the cord is fed.
- Putting the drum in the reverse order.
The video below is attached, the author of which clearly shows how to replace a scaffold on a benzokos with a semi-automatic coil with 2 antennae.
Alternative way to reel fishing line
The drums of modern petrol mowers, for 2 antennae, have a special eye in each channel. Thanks to the eye, it becomes possible to reel the line for each channel separately. For someone, a similar method of winding fishing line is preferable.
- Remove the spool. To do this, it is advisable to lock it with a screwdriver or something like that. The coil is unscrewed clockwise.
- Remove the cover and take out the drum. Typically, the lid is fixed with a pair of latches. When the drum is disconnected, access to the spring will open. Do not lose her!
- Cooking two separate fishing lines the same length.
- Bend the tip of the fishing line with a hook.
- Pass the hook into the eye.
- Winding fishing line to one of the channels. Typically, the line is wound up against the rotation of the spool.
- We fix the tip of the fishing line, so that it does not unwind. Especially for this purpose, corresponding connectors are provided around the perimeter of the edge of the drum.
- We repeat all the above operations with the second fishing line. It must be wound in the same direction as the first cord.
- We collect the coil and put it on the brushcutter.
As a rule, such drums have a traditional hook on the central partition of the channels, and a separate eye in each channel. The user of a brushcutter with such a drum has the opportunity to choose the method of charging the fishing line. Each of the methods is good in its own way.
Below is a video clip, the author of which clearly shows the above method of refueling fishing line. The alternative method begins with the 8th minute exactly, the first part of the video is devoted to the traditional method of charging the cord.
Types of scythe for trimmer / trimmer
To date, a huge variety of cord varieties have been created. The fishing line differs not only in diameter and length, but also in the material of manufacture, surface structure and cross-section.
But the main criteria for choosing a fishing line are:
Almost always, the main parameters of the fishing line are marked on the spool itself. At the same time, many manufacturers indicate the line parameters not by the exact value, but by the range. For example, take a drum with the following parameters: length. 2.5-3.5 (m), thickness. 1.5-3 (mm). The range makes the brushcutter more versatile. The wider the range of values, the greater the range of work the mower will be able to perform.
When choosing a fishing line for a trimmer, it is especially important to consider the value of the diameter. With increasing diameter of the fishing line, its strength increases. A good thick fishing line of 3-4 (mm) can be used for mowing already formed and matured weeds. The fishing line is thinner, by 1.5-2.5 (mm), you can only trust the mowing of young shoots.
The diameter of the fishing line is directly related to the power of the brushcutter. Thick fishing line can only be used on powerful and productive units. Typically, a 3-4 line (mm) is placed on a brushcutter with engine power between 1000-1200 (W).
Regarding the length of the fishing line, the longer the cord, the less often you will have to reload the drum. How else can you classify the types of fishing line for motokos.
Cross section and surface structure
A classic of the genre is a fishing line with a circular cross section. Rounded profile cord has a very solid reliability and durability. But the rounded section is well suited only for mowing young shoots, mainly with a thin stem.
If the operator is faced with the task of mowing a well-grown weed with a thick stem, or maybe even dead wood, then the round section of the cord in this case will be ineffective. For such tasks, a fishing line with sharp edges is well suited:
- and so forth
Of course, these types of fishing lines have their drawbacks. The main disadvantage of faceted cord is its susceptibility to rapid wear. Sharp edges tend to break intensively.
When choosing a fishing line, you need to consider the material. Common cord options are made of plastic. expensive fishing line is made on the basis of more durable synthetics.