How to turn on the grass trimmer for grass
Running in the engine of a brushcutter. The peculiarities of the lawnmower running-in
It should be noted that the gasoline grass trimmer is very easy to operate. It’s enough to see how other users use this machine to start using it to its full potential. Performing the basic technical functions is intuitive and does not require any difficulties in practice. Properly run-in gasoline trimmer for grass will also not be difficult. Not only that, there is almost no difference between the devices of the household and professional categories.
The key difference is the type of motor. On the technique for professionals, it is more powerful and produces more speed. The two-stroke motor is more often used in domestic models. Four-stroke machines are more robust and give more power, so they are suitable for special conditions, difficult and overgrown areas.
In addition, you should take into account whether there is a cutting attachment included.
So let’s start with getting ready for work. How do you get your mower ready for use??
First of all, reassemble it if it is disassembled. Secure the detachable boom in the latches. Carefully check that the cutting attachment is locked in place, especially if it’s a blade or saw blade. Gasoline grass trimmers are usually extremely powerful, and the rotational speed of the cutting attachment in them is fantastic. Therefore, a poorly fixed blade, firstly, can injure the worker, and, secondly, causes additional vibration in the tool, which can lead to its breakage.
Gasoline models are most often equipped with a two-stroke engine, so they require fuel mixture preparation. what is its purpose? Since these motors do not have a crankcase and a separate system for oil lubrication, this role is performed directly by the fuel mixture.
It is prepared in certain proportions and for one filling. you should not dilute several liters with “reserve”, because the composition should always be fresh.
Mowing the grass
Purpose of the trimmer head (grass trimmer reel, mowing head, grass trimmer spool)
- To remove all unwanted vegetation under walls, along fences, curbs, around trees, posts, bushes, between stumps and other obstacles.
- To cut the grass in places inaccessible to lawn mowers.
- To selectively cut thinned grass and weeds before mowing a garden plot in hay.
- To weed the weeds in the bed between the plants.
- To shred potato foliage in the vegetable garden before digging it up.
- To remove grass and weeds completely, e.g. from paths.
- To sweep (creating an air vortex from the grass trimmer’s high line speed).
The trimmer head (mowing head or grass trimmer reel) has a high output when mowing grass, t.к. it is lighter behind the metal blade and has a larger grip diameter of 45 cm, compared to 25 cm for the hay knife.
Variety of tools
Three versions of garden trimmers are available for sale. electric, battery and gasoline. Plug-and-play models are less common, as they have minimal autonomy due to their connection to the power grid. In addition, in terms of economy, this is not the best grass trimmer for mowing. An electric tool can justify itself only in the work around the house, if there is an opportunity to summon extensions for connecting cables.
Potential for churning flying rocks puts windows at risk in homes and cars. Shields around the trimmer head are in place to reduce flying debris and protect the operator. no one removes the shields after the modified grass trimmer is no longer under warranty or can be used safely.
When refueling, make sure the engine is stopped and the grass trimmer is placed on a flat, level surface. preferably not grass. The grass trimmer should never be left on the grass for an extended period of time. Refueling should be done with the proper system to avoid leaks or overfilling.
Gasoline models have always been considered a direct competitor to electric models. They offer high power, virtually no restrictions on movement, and can even handle shrub cutting. But, a gasoline grass trimmer for mowing the grass is also characterized by high weight, noisy operation, strong vibrations, exhaust emissions and high cost. The cordless versions are not tied to a power source either, but they lose out to petrol trimmers in terms of power.
Be sure to use the appropriate string weight as specified in the owner’s manual. A grass trimmer string that is too thick for the motor can cause damage. Some grass trimmers can accept a trimming blade, but never use a blade on a trimmer that is not designed to use trimming blades. Accessories that are not designed for a particular grass trimmer can create excessive vibration, engine wear or binding. This can lead to motor strain, possible component failure and potential damage to the operator.
How to properly mow grass with a garden trimmer
Working with a brushcutter is easy enough if you know the basics and have a hand with it. Here are a few tips to help you get a good result and keep your lawn well groomed:
- If you need to cut tall grass or weeds with strong stems, mow in a double motion. First cut the top of the stems by moving the mower from right to left, then mow the rest by moving in the opposite direction.
- If you need to mow a large area, divide the area into squares, starting on the outer sides and gradually moving toward the center.
- Work on slopes according to the following algorithm: start at the bottom, mowing grass in parallel lines and gradually climbing up. The grass will fall down into the cut area without interfering with your work.
- If you want to mow around an obstacle, consider the protection of the chain saw. Move around obstacles, gently dragging the tool near them.
- Always use only good quality attachments on your gasoline grass trimmer. If you use a line or low-quality blades, the grass may not be cut, but uprooted. your lawn will quickly deteriorate.
How to mow grass with a fishing line
It is safer to mow with a trimmer with a trimmer cord or line than to work with knives. However, the efficiency will be lower. It’s always better to match and combine different blades of grass to the job at hand.
When working with a gasoline trimmer, on which the line for the trimmer is installed, you need to adhere to the following tips:
- mow at a height of about 10 cm above the ground;
- Mow the top part of the grass first, and then cut the stem at the base. this will help avoid winding on the working part;
- It is better to drive the machine in the same direction in which the coil rotates;
- When mowing the lawn, it is better to work with the tips of the fishing line to reduce the load on the engine;
- After every 15 minutes of work, you need to give the gasoline trimmer a rest.
How to mow grass with blades of grass
The blades (disc) are good for hard grass or shrubs, but you need to follow some safety rules. Here are the main points to remember when using knives:
- The blades are suitable for cutting hard grass, young trees or shrubs.
- The more difficult the task, the larger the diameter of the blade disc should be.
- Install only discs on your grass trimmer that are the right size for the tool’s capabilities. Otherwise, the grass trimmer may be broken.
- If the tool is on, you can only mow with it, but not replace consumables, lubricate or inspect the gasoline trimmer.
- Choose discs based on the information on it, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Do not sharpen the blades yourself, it can ruin the part.
Popular questions about petrol garden trimmers
In this section, we’ve answered a few common questions about gasoline trimmers.
Why the lawnmower does not start?
If you can’t start the gasoline trimmer or it immediately stops, you need to check the ignition by removing the spark plug. A dry spark plug means that the problem lies in the system responsible for the fuel supply. Wet spark plug indicates a problem with the ignition system. If the spark plug has soot on it, it must be cleaned or replaced.
Another reason could be a clogged air filter. If it is dirty with oil, you need to clean, wash and dry it.
Why does the lawnmower stop??
Depending on the exact moment at which the grass trimmer stops, the causes may be different.
- If the gasoline grass trimmer stalls when you press the gas, you need to check the air damper. If it is set in the closed position, you need to set it in the open.
- Another option is a clogged filter.
- The gasket between the cylinder and carburetor can also be damaged.
- A cracked fuel hose will cause air intake.
At idle speed
It happens that the lawnmower stalls after a while after starting. Causes may be:
- Improperly adjusted carburetor;
- a dirty carburetor, filter or choke;
- air in the carburetor system;
- malfunction in the ignition system;
- Lack of gasoline.
Why a lawn mower heats up?
- One of the warmest parts is the gearbox. If there is not enough lubrication in the mechanism, the gears will experience friction and become hot. This can also happen with new gearboxes where the gears have not yet been lapped. Operating temperatures of up to 60°C on the gearbox.
- Use at maximum loads is another cause of mower overheating. The tool must be rested regularly.
- There may not be enough oil in the fuel mixture. this leads to oil starvation, increased friction and generates a lot of heat during operation.
- Contaminated cooling air flow holes.
lawnmower. what to replace the line for the trimmer?
If the line is not strong enough to cut hard grass or brush, you can try to fit a reinforced line to the trimmer. Another alternative is the blade disc. It is suitable even for young trees and tough growth.
Assembling the grass trimmer in STEPs
Fixing the tool handle
Remove thumbscrew 2. Removing the top cover
To adjust the handle, loosen the wing nut and move it. Then fasten the screw.
FUBAG Power Trimmers have rubberized grips for more comfort and safety. It enables you to hold the tool firmly, even in wet hands.
Install the blade guard
Align holes in cowl and attachment bracket.
Fasten the cover on the bracket with the screws and washers, using the wrench provided.
In this model, the guard is attached with metal plates on both sides. This ensures additional reliability and durability of the grass trimmer.
The shroud itself is made of a dense but flexible plastic. The material won’t break when hitting small obstacles. We advise to pay attention to this, if you are just going to choose an electric trimmer for grass or gasoline trimmer.
Fasten the shoulder strap
One of the easiest manipulations when assembling an electric trimmer. Many people will intuitively understand how to attach the shoulder strap. For those who are unsure, we decided to add a few important points to the instructions:
Attach the carabiner to the strap ring 2. Adjust the position of the fixing ring on the boom 3. Fix the ring with the fastening screw
Insert the filament spool
First align the hole on the washer with the hole in the gear cup and secure with a special pin.
Unscrew the fastening nut from the hub clockwise. 3. Remove the cup from the shaft and the pressure plate
Screw in the spool of fishing line counterclockwise as far as it will go and hold the rod.
When selecting a grass trimmer, the quality of the bobbin from the kit must be taken into account. Often it is the spool that becomes the subject of savings to reduce the overall price of the product. How to spot a flaw? A good bobbin is characterized by the quality of plastic, easy to open and allows you to refill the line for the trimmer without much difficulty.
How to attach a trimmer disc or fishing line to a trimmer
The cutting mill is attached to the drive. The mounting location is called the gearbox. It is not difficult to cope with the task of installing the disc or spool. The principle of attaching the cutting discs to the trimmer is as follows:
- The washer is fastened first with an Allen wrench.
- Put the disc on the shaft
- Then install the top washer, and then tighten it with the retaining nut
- You need to turn the nut with a special socket wrench, which is usually equipped with each tool
- The nut turns counterclockwise
- During rotation, the shaft must be jammed with an Allen wrench
In the opposite sequence, the disc is removed and replaced by the trimmer. For more information on how to install the line reel on the hedge trimmer, see. This article.
Instructions for using the gas grass trimmer to learn how to start the tool
Before you start working with the tool you have to buy it first. How to get the brush, let’s look at in detail. To begin, the tool should be placed on a flat surface so that the disc mounted on the shaft does not catch on anything. After that, we start starting the brush cutter motor:
- First, the fuel must be introduced into the starting system. To do this, press the primer 4-5 times (soft hemisphere on the carburetor)
- Next, set the carburetor switch to “OFF”. This switch is responsible for opening and closing the air damper. Turning the switch to “OFF” mode allows the fuel mixture to be enriched when starting
- There is a knob on the handle next to the gas pedal. It is responsible for turning the ignition switch on and off. Switch the ignition switch to mode “1” before starting.
- Now you can start. To do this, hold the tool with one hand and pull the starter knob sharply with the other. If the tilt engine doesn’t start the first time, don’t despair. Start attempts should be made before the engine starts. Usually this should be done 2-3 times.
- If after 5 repetitions the engine does not start, you need to repeat the fuel intake in the first layer, and start again.
- Once the engine starts, the throttle switch should be set to the “ON” position. It means that the mixture of fuel and air enters the cylinder.
- Allow the tool to idle for 15-30 seconds until the engine warms up, then you can start mowing the grass.
The above instructions on starting the engine and trimmers are suitable for cold starting. If there is a pause while the tool is running, there is no need to close the throttle when you restart a cold engine. You just need to turn on the ignition and pull the starter grip.
Getting ready for work
If this is your first time mowing the lawn, take a few minutes to learn how to properly mow with a line trimmer. Walk along the lawn and remove any rocks, sticks or large debris.
Turn the trimmer on and hold it so the handle is snug against your thigh. Make sure the head is at a comfortable height for cutting the grass. Approach one edge of the area and start cutting the grass.
As you are trying to make an even cut, keep the head parallel to the ground and make short sweeping motions. It’s best to set a higher cutting height first so you can adjust to your ideal cutting height.
The gasoline trimmer likes cleanliness. Check the air filter and fuel filter for cleanliness. It is better to leave gasoline, bought at gas station, for 2 days and pass it through a simple filter. a piece of baize cloth.
Electrical equipment is checked in the following way:
Unscrew the spark plug, check the gap between the electrodes. Adjust the correct gap between the electrodes, you can “grandfather’s” way. Take a razor blade, break it in half and put a homemade dipstick between the electrodes. If the blades fit tightly, then the gap is perfect.
Put the cap of the high-voltage wire on the spark plug and lean the spark plug against the metal surface of the engine. yank the starter a few times. If the spark strikes well at one point, the gap is adjusted correctly. If not. the spark is weak or “wandering”, it is necessary to re-adjust the electrode gap.
Also in the electrical equipment may be punctured ignition coil. In this case, the lawnmower does not start or starts intermittently and then shuts down or does not start when hot.
Check the serviceability of the coil can be checked in the same way as when checking the spark: unscrew the spark plug, lean it against the body of the grass trimmer. If there is no spark when the starter jerk, or it appears intermittently, you need to change the coil.
The result of a proper running-in of the gasoline grass trimmer
After you have been run-in of the lawnmower according to the instructions, as a result we will get a ready to work tool. Of course, it is best not only to read the steps, but also to see the running-in on a video from the experts. The result of the correct actions will be obtained:
- no-failure operation of the gasoline-driven tools for a long time;
- Quality start of the device and the stability of the supplied power;
- absence of unforeseen grass trimmer repairs after a good running-in;
- no overheating.
In this regard, the initial processing of the Chinese grass trimmer is an integral part of the quality work of the device, which can work flawlessly, using blades for chain saws or cutting lines of different diameters when processing areas, available for purchase at the special store “Grass Mower”.
What Safety Precautions for Working with a Trimmer? There are some simple and straightforward points after which you can avoid dangerous situations and minimize your chances of injury:
- Do not use a grass trimmer in wet and humid weather (especially an electric grass trimmer);
- Wear bodysuits before mowing to avoid damaging your skin with bits of grass stems flying from the disc or fishing line at high speed;
- Keep a distance of 15 meters from other people and pay attention to signs others may give;
- Using headphones or earplugs;
- Use an electric grass trimmer to make sure the wire from the extension cord is always behind you;
- Wear tight-fitting rubber boots that are easy to clean after work;
- Using gloves and safety glasses, avoid getting small stones in your eyes and respiratory tract;
- In case of injury, see a doctor immediately.
Also, do not forget to look behind you if you suddenly encounter an obstacle in front or at the side. When plunging the rod with the blade into dense thickets of grass, be aware that there may be a rock, a stump, or berries (e.g., strawberries). Working with a trimmer requires discipline and attention, but once you understand the simple rules, it will become habitual, understandable and will bring only positive emotions from the results.
First start of the grass trimmer
When everything is checked and the prepared fuel mixture is poured into the tank, it is time to start the grass trimmer for the first time before its running-in. To do this, the following manipulation is necessary:
- Position the brushcutter on a flat, level surface;
- Move the choke control lever to the closed position;
- Pump fuel into carburetor with several pumps of primer;
- Turn on the ignition toggle switch;
- Smoothly pull the starter cord until you feel resistance;
- After you pull the cord 34 jerks until the lawnmower starts;
- After the start we open the choke.
If the lawnmower won’t start or stalls the first time, open the choke shutter on the carburettor slightly and try to start again.
Start the lawnmower’s running-in period
After starting do not rush to run in the weed trimmer immediately. Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes. While the machine is warming up adjust the airflow with the choke knob so that the line or blade bobbin does not rotate. Once the tool is warmed up, fully open the air supply by moving the lever to the “ON” position and squeeze the throttle trigger to 1/2 and hold for 20 30 seconds. Then turn off the throttle and let the trimmer work for 30 seconds at idle.40 seconds. Continue in this mode for 1015 minutes. Then turn off the machine and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
Once the lawnmower has cooled down, continue running the engine according to the previous scheme. Starting up the grass trimmer when it is hot should be done with the choke open. Avoid holding the gas for a long time, because the moving parts of the tool are only lapping against each other. And do not let the engine idle for a long time because it can overheat.
The next step is running in the gearbox of the lawn mower. To do this, select an area with soft, young grass. Mow for 510 minutes with startup 1/22/3 of full throttle. After that take a break for 2025 minutes. Repeat this cycle 34 times.
In general the lawnmower runs in accordance with the described algorithm until the fuel mixture in the tank is depleted. After that the tool is ready to work for a long time. Watch the temperature of gearbox and motor during work. It must not overheat.