How To Use A Chainsaw Correctly
Work rules and safety precautions
The chain saw is a traumatic tool. This fact should not cause panic fear. It is designed to encourage the owner to constantly monitor their actions during work.
So, what safety precautions require when working with a chainsaw?
First, don’t spare the money to buy a set of workwear (gloves, protective helmet, suit and special shoes). It will become a reliable protection against damage.
In particular, gloves for such saws are good at protecting fingers from injury. Their fabric, when in contact with the chain, winds around it and blocks it, saving fingers from sharp teeth. Protective helmet will prevent chips from damaging your eyes and protect your head from falling branches.
The lumberjack’s shoes are fitted with steel plates. If the saw bounces unexpectedly, they take the cutting blow.
Second, do not hold the saw straight in front of you. Hold it with your feet to the side of the cut line.
Third, hold the saw firmly with all your fingers around the handles. In this case, the right hand must be held on the back handle, and the left hand on the front.
These three basic rules need to be supplemented with other equally important points:
- Carefully insert the running saw into the cut.
- Beware of cutting with the tip of the tire (kickback is high).
- Remove any foreign objects from the work area that could trip or fall.
- Do not bend very low when cutting to avoid losing your balance.
- Do not work with the chainsaw above your shoulders.
- Do not hold the tool too far away from you so that your back and arms do not strain or get tired during long work.
- Keep your back straight and your legs wide apart.
- The cut can be made from both sides of the bar. It should be borne in mind that when cutting with the lower edge, the chain pulls the saw forward, and when working with the upper part, it pulls the saw back.
- Stop engine or brake chain before moving saw to new work site (idle).
A good rule of thumb is not to work alone, but with a companion who can provide first aid.
Before the AL-KO tree you need to look around. Estimate its length and direction of growth, the location of nearby objects (buildings, power lines) so that if the trunk falls, it does not damage them. It does not hurt to take into account the direction and strength of the wind.
Before cutting a tree, you need to stand to the right of it and cut it (at an angle of 45 degrees to a depth of no more than ¼ of the trunk diameter). The cut is made from the side of the tree falling (the direction of the natural inclination of the trunk). After that, a horizontal undercut is made on the other side. the main felling cut. It is not brought to an inclined notch for a few centimeters so that the tree does not collapse ahead of time (Figures 1 and 2).
To exclude the clamping of the saw bar in the main cut, a wooden wedge is inserted into it.
When working, you need to monitor where the trunk is moving. This rule will help you avoid serious injury if the barrel falls in an unplanned direction.
When the tree begins to fall, quickly remove the saw from the cut, turn off its engine and leave the work area.
Having felled a tree, one should not relax, since the statistics record the main number of injuries precisely at the stage of pruning branches.
To safely perform this work, follow these rules:
- Fix the barrel with shims so that it does not move or roll;
- Stand to the left of the fallen tree and start cutting from the lower branches;
- Cut down thick branches, starting from their end and gradually moving towards the trunk.
If the chainsaw is jammed when sawing a fallen tree, do not jerk it while trying to pull it out. Turn off the engine first and use the thick levers to try to raise or tilt the barrel to widen the cut.
A chainsaw is a motorized tool based on a two-stroke internal combustion engine. It cannot run on pure gasoline, so a gas-oil mixture must be prepared to start.
Its proportion is simple: for 1 liter of gasoline of the brand not lower than A92 (for expensive imported chainsaws, the brand is not lower than A95), we take 20 grams of special engine oil for chainsaws. In the instructions, this proportion is designated 1:50. After stirring fuel and oil in a plastic container, open the filler neck and fill the tank with a combustible mixture.
Beginners are advised to be careful not to confuse the fuel filler neck with the chain oil filler neck. On some models of chainsaws, they are both located on the same side of the body. They can be distinguished by a special marking applied next to the hole. You will see a gas station icon on the fuel filler neck. A drop symbol is applied next to the oil filler neck.
Good chain lubrication is essential for the quality of your chainsaw and the long life of your bar. The chainsaw instruction manual recommends using only the manufacturer’s original oil. In addition to it, it is allowed to fill in high-quality automotive engine oil with a viscosity of W30-W40. We do not recommend using dirty mining and other oil surrogates for chain lubrication.
The mark up to which the chain oil is poured into the tank is always close to the filler neck. When working with a chainsaw, do not forget to glance at it periodically so as not to miss the moment of refilling the tank. In addition to the saw chain, occasionally (once a month) the bearing of the bar located on its outer end part should be lubricated. Some tires have a hole there, into which a few drops of oil are sprayed with a syringe. Refueling the saw should only be done on a horizontal hard surface.
How to use a chainsaw: operation, maintenance, safety
After buying a chainsaw, the owner can’t wait to put it to the test.
It is good if he already has the skills to maintain and safely operate this tool. If there is no such experience, then you should not rush to the first start.
Spending a little time studying the method of preparing the chainsaw for work, having understood the safe handling techniques, you will save yourself from injury and prolong the life of your mechanical assistant.
Tips on how to properly use your chainsaw are divided into four groups:
- Techniques and safety.
In this order, we will consider them in our article.
Having filled in the fuel mixture and chain lubricant, you can proceed to the second stage. starting the chainsaw. Here you will also find the manufacturer’s instructions useful.
It briefly and clearly describes the main stages of this operation:
- Checking the chain tension (pulling the upper middle links). If they give in with some effort, it means that the chain is tensioned well enough. If the saw chain sags, then you need to use the tensioning mechanism and tighten it.
- We pull the chain along the tire. It rotates easily under normal tension. If you have overtightened the chain, then you need to loosen it a little. Along the way, we look at the position of the chain brake (a wide plastic shield next to the front handle). It must be turned on (pushed forward from the front handle that is holding the saw). At idle, when the engine is warming up, we don’t need the chain to rotate. That’s why we put her on the brake.
- We install the chainsaw on a flat surface. Hold the front handle with your left hand. We put our right foot on the rear handle, turn on the ignition button, extend the throttle and several times sharply pull the starter handle. As soon as the engine gives the first "flash", push the throttle and again sharply pull the starter handle until the engine starts.
- Disengage the chain brake, making sure that there are no foreign objects under the saw chain that it can pick up, and press the gas a couple of times to warm up the tool.
- We check the supply of lubricant to the chain. To do this, we bring the saw to any light object (sheet of paper, board, stump cut). If a trace of oil appears on it, it means that sufficient lubricant is supplied to the chain.
The starting procedure described above is performed on a cold engine. If the saw has already worked for some time and has been muted, then its start is done with the starter handle without using the throttle.
This is an indicator of the professionalism of the owner. If timely and high-quality care is organized for the chainsaw, then it will work reliably and for a long time.
After finishing work, the tool must be cleaned of sawdust and debris. Remember to check the chain tension and lubrication level. Correct maintenance of your chainsaw involves regular checking of the condition of the air filter. If you do not keep it clean, then you are guaranteed problems with starting.
The fastest wear on this tool is the chain, bar and its drive sprocket. Therefore, their condition also needs to be constantly monitored.
If there is fuel left in the tank, it must be drained into a separate container. The manufacturer’s instructions recommend producing the prepared mixture within 2-3 weeks.
Possible problems with chainsaws and their solutions
Each manufacturer in the instruction manual indicates a number of the most common breakdowns or problems that the operator may encounter before, during and after using the equipment. As a rule, such problems can be solved correctly by the user with a little maintenance. If the problem cannot be solved by yourself, it is recommended to contact the service center for the help of a specialist.
During the sawing work itself, the saw may get stuck in the tree trunk. In this case, it is categorically impossible to pull it out abruptly, especially if the engine is still running. For such cases, most chainsaws are equipped with an emergency stop system, in which the chain stops abruptly to ensure operator safety.
It is also possible that when sawing, the chainsaw starts sawing sideways. There are not many reasons why the chainsaw cuts crookedly:
- Incorrect chain sharpening;
- Unsuitable chain in terms of parameters;
- The saw head is already worn out.
The reasons why a chainsaw does not cut well also have a basis in improper maintenance. For example, low-quality fuel or lubricating oil was used. Perhaps the chain tension settings are out of order or there is a need to adjust the carburetor. To be sure to identify the problem of why the saw does not cut well, it is necessary to perform maintenance.
Horizontal sawing device
This device, on the contrary, allows you to make correct cuts in the horizontal plane, that is, to saw logs (cylinders). For example, they can be useful for preparing firewood.
What can you saw with a chainsaw?
The advantage of chainsaws is that they are very useful and versatile. So, for example, a rich assortment on the market offers a large selection of household, semi-professional and professional chainsaws, which differ in power, dimensions, weight, tire length and some less significant indicators and technical characteristics.
Depending on the type of saw, the area of use also varies. You can prepare firewood with a chainsaw and cut down unnecessary dead wood. Using saws more professionally, they cut down trees, harvesting boards and logs. In construction, the chainsaw can be applied to cut foam concrete, plastic pipes, stone, etc. Experienced specialists can cut even such fragile material on chipboard with a chainsaw. For these purposes, they use either low-power saws or circular saws.
A frequent question on the forums is whether it is possible to cut ice with a chainsaw? It is possible, but adhering to some rules. Oil for lubrication need not be used, and the cut only needs to be done with the tip of the bar. After cutting, the chain must be thoroughly wiped from water in order to exclude the appearance of rust.
How to use a chainsaw
Thanks to chainsaws, the process of felling forests, preparing firewood, and caring for the garden has become much easier. A large fuel tank or electric battery, compact size of equipment, and high mobility guarantee you several hours of comfortable and productive work. Some types of chainsaws can be used not only for sawing wood, but also for working with concrete or stone. For these purposes, as a rule, circular or reciprocating saws are used.
After buying a new chainsaw, every owner would rather start using it. However, it is worth noting that special attention should be paid to the study of safety measures and rules of use, refueling and lubricating the saw, servicing. After all, this directly affects the quality and duration of the chainsaw, its service life and the effectiveness of the result.
How to properly cut a lying log in half and into planks?
When creating boards and full, Big Mill, a special device for longitudinal sawing of logs, will become a good helper. How to cut a log lengthwise with a chainsaw? In order to properly saw the boards with a chainsaw, you need to make markings on the log, beat off the axis, and only then proceed to the sawing itself.
Correct marking is the key to a high-quality and accurate cut. To do this correctly, follow these tips:
- The center of the log is determined by the building level: the diameter of the tree is halved and the middle is marked with a pencil directly on the bar;
- Further, the level is located horizontally at the marked point and a vertical line is drawn with a pencil along the entire wood;
- We repeat the actions on the front;
- We place the upholstery cord along the tree on one side of the log, stretch and knock down bright chalk in order to outline a straight line in the middle of the entire bar;
- Carefully following the drawn mowing line, the log is cut in two.
Chainsaw complete set
Often, each manufacturer supplies their chainsaws almost completely assembled. All you have to do is install the tire, adjust the chain tension and fill the equipment with oil and fuel. However, some manufacturers reserve the right to change the complete set of the box by supplementing it with accessories and parts that facilitate maintenance of the chainsaw.
Preparation for work
Before starting work, you should completely check the chain saw for readiness. To begin with, check the chain tension of the device. it is necessary to pull the chain by the upper links (it is necessary that the shank comes out of the tire groove by a few millimeters). The lower links should not sag, if this is observed. tighten the chain. After that, you should pull the chain, it is necessary that it stretches with ease. If the tension is strong, loosen the chain a little. It is also necessary that the inertia brake handle does not touch the main handle. If the inertia brake is displaced when the chainsaw is turned on, the clutch will drop.
After checking the circuit of the device, you need to refuel the chainsaw. To do this, place it on a horizontal surface and add chain and engine oil and fuel. A fuel mixture of gasoline and adhesive oil is considered ideal. As for the lubricant, it must be used with a special one for chainsaws, because. The components of this lubricant guarantee the durability of the parts and the cutting element.
The chainsaw can now be started. Starting is carried out with a cold engine. First, put the saw on a horizontal surface, turn off the brake and turn on the ignition. The front handle must be held with your hand, on the back one, become your right foot. Pull the starter handle to start the saw. Disconnect the inertial brake and press the gas several times to warm up the engine a little. And finally, check that the oil goes to the chain, if everything is in order, you can start working!
Do not start felling trees alone. it is extremely dangerous. You must have at least one partner. First, scan the tree for dry branches that might fall on you. Next, inspect the area and make sure that the fallen tree will not damage any nearby object and will fall unhindered. When starting work, stand to the right of the tree, holding the chainsaw to the side (this will reduce the stress on the arms and spine). The felling process consists of a cut and a main cut. The cut is made at a floor angle of 45 degrees to a depth of no more than a quarter of the trunk, then the main cut is made. When the tree falls, you must quickly remove the tool. There are many instructives on how to cut a tree correctly, do not be too lazy to look at them before starting work.
Classes of modern chainsaws
Today there are three main classes of chainsaws, namely:
- Common household devices
- Semi-professional chainsaws
- Professional chainsaws
The first class includes chainsaws, which are used for minor household chores. Although this class of chainsaws is not very powerful, with what needs to be done at home, saws cope with a bang. A household chainsaw can cook firewood, cut wood, etc. It is not very expensive, economical and lightweight.
Semi-professional chainsaws are mainly used for felling trees. Unlike a household chainsaw, it can also carry out repair and construction work. A significant drawback of the saw is that its operating time per day should not exceed 8 hours, this, in fact, it differs from a professional saw.
Professional chainsaws are used for long-term daily work (the sawing time is allowed from 10 to 16 hours), and continuous work can reach 8-9 hours.
How to handle a chainsaw correctly? A few important tips for caring for and using the instrument.
The good thing about the chainsaw is that it can cut any tree quickly and easily. For a private house, this is a very profitable thing, because the process of exterminating rotten wood or preparing bars for a bath with a hand saw is a long and laborious process. When choosing a chainsaw, you should not save money, because a cheap tool is not only a short-lived thing, but also extremely unsafe, and in our case everything is very serious.
If the tree is felled, it is necessary to stand to the left of the trunk and proceed to the lowest branches. Cut should be done with the toe of the bar, both with the upper and lower chain blades. If the branch is thick and too large, split the cutting process into several stages (you need to cut from the end of the branch to the trunk). Do not forget to take into account the fact that the tree trunk can poke, roll, and this sometimes leads to injuries, so secure the tree securely before starting work.
If all the instructions above are followed, then you can start work. It is very important here that the operator has a firm grip on the saw with both hands. No need to slouch, but rather try to maintain balance. When tilting, you should not change the position of the body, but only bend your legs at the knees. If you need to move from one object to another, be sure to turn off the circuit.
The saws use two-stroke engines, for which a gasoline-oil mixture must be used. It must be poured carefully, so as not to get on the body or the saw headset, in working conditions it is necessary to move away from the materials being cut at a distance of 5-6 m.
For high-quality work, only a well-sharpened chain is useful. When processing wood, it makes large sawdust and no force is applied to plunge into the material. You yourself will feel and see when it becomes dull, in particular, by the characteristic fine sawdust.
Check the tension regularly. To do this, turn the regulator until the chain slack is removed from the bottom of the tire. We take special protective gloves, lift the end of the bar and pull the chain. If it is correctly tensioned, it will not come out of the groove, but it will easily stretch from the movement of the hand.
The chain tension should be checked regularly to ensure safe saw operation. Often this is done after filling in the oil, and if you installed a new chain, then you will have to check it even more often until it is used up.
If you learn to saw correctly, working with a chainsaw becomes a pleasure. And you will save yourself and others from accidents.
The following things can happen during operation:
- The possibility of careless touching the saw headset of hands is great;
- Branches falling or chips bouncing towards the operator. Protective goggles will protect from bouncing branches, chips, dust.
- The contact of the tissues of the legs with the working chain. To reduce the likelihood of the leg tissue coming into contact with the running chain, wear thick, lined pants. Of course, they will not save you from prolonged contact, but they will become an excellent obstacle and if you quickly remove the saw from your leg, then there is a great opportunity not to injure her.
- Damage to the feet. To protect your feet, you need to purchase massive shoes, the toe of which has a metal insert. This is done for safety reasons, because the saw most often likes to slide exactly on this very part of the body.
- Head injury. A helmet will help here, it will save your head from a bounced headset and large branches.
When using, observe the following rules:
- The chainsaw must be held firmly in the hands, hands can be pressed closer to the body, so they get tired much less. The saw needs to be controlled.
- When cutting, never cut multiple logs at a time. It is forbidden to saw with the tip of the tire, since in this position it most often slips. The beam must be fixed and monitored so that nothing could pinch the chain.
- The position of the operator’s body should not be on the same plane as the operating chain. Do not lean too much, because you can easily lose your balance, which can lead to disastrous consequences.
- Most of the saw kickbacks occur when processing a tree, or rather when cutting branches. The kickback area of the tire may touch a branch or tree, resulting in the saw itself being kicked back.
- The chain saw is not designed to cut material above shoulder height. This method is strictly prohibited, since the consequences can be very serious. Your safety is in your hands.
Serviceability check and start
- To work with a chainsaw, be sure to read the instructions, since different models may differ slightly, but I follow the STIHL operating rules.
- Before starting the device, you need to activate the chain brake, which is located on the front of the housing. It must be squeezed forward. There is a plastic protector on the tire that needs to be removed.
- Press, if available, on the decompression valve. This will make it easier to start the chainsaw. If the device is equipped with a fuel pump, then you need to clamp it, which will reduce the number of pumping.
- A combination lever is located at the back of the body, in front of the handle, it should be set to the throttling or cold start position. To begin with, activate the throttle lever and its blocking and push the lever down to the end.
- Just before starting the engine, place the saw on a level surface so that the saw head does not touch the ground. This position will prevent unwanted dulling of the chain and injury to the operator. The chainsaw must be grasped by the starter rope and handle with both hands. In order for the device to stand firmly on the ground when starting up, you need to step on the back of the handle with your toes.
- After gripping the chainsaw firmly, slowly pull on the starter rope until you feel resistance. After that, we pull with force several times, until the engine starts shortly. It is important to keep the cable straight up to avoid rubbing against the fan housing.
- A throttle is located near the handle, the lever of which must be moved up to the half-throttle position. Now restart the engine and push the throttle lever. If everything is done correctly, the combination lever moves to the idle position.
- You can now lift the chainsaw off the ground. It is very important to do this carefully and not to touch the throttle lever. The motor runs, but the chain does not move, because we put the brake on before that. You can easily remove it, you need to pull the brake towards you until it clicks, while not releasing the handle with the same hand.
- To check if the chain is well lubricated, take a white sheet of paper or another light background, press full throttle. A good lubrication system will be indicated by oil stains that appear. Now you can start directly to work.
How to saw correctly with a chainsaw
Hello dear subscribers and readers of Andrey Noak’s blog! Every summer resident or villager working with wood has a chainsaw in his arsenal. For example, at one time I sawn more than one timber truck for heating a house. When working with such a tool, it is very important to adhere to safety rules. And my goal today is to tell you how to saw correctly with a chainsaw. I still use the STIHL brand, so I’ll take its characteristics as a basis.
Although the operation of the saw may seem simple, it is still a traumatic tool and is dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced person. Awkward movements can lead to cuts or more serious injury.
How the chainsaw works
The chainsaw device is not too complicated. The main elements of its construction:
- Ignition system;
- Fuel system;
- Air purification system.
Let’s talk about each of them in more detail.
If the chain accidentally touches the tree during rotation, a kickback occurs. In this case, for safety reasons, the brake must be applied.
The saw brake system consists of a brake stop and a brake band. The system can be switched on in two ways: contact (the brake stop presses on the worker’s hand) and inertial (with a sharp impact on the tire, inertial forces arise that act on the brake).
How it all works
The principle of the chainsaw is simple:
- The cable is stretched, the flywheel is unwound;
- A fuel-air mixture is prepared in the carburetor;
- The engine starts;
- After releasing the chain brake, the chain is released from blocking;
- Single-stage chain drive drives the chain.
Chain lubrication system
In modern chainsaws, the chain and bar are automatically lubricated. At idle speed, oil does not flow, since the oil pumps only start working after the sprocket turns and the gear starts moving. The more the sprocket turns, the more oil flows from the pump to the chain. The pump is installed on the side of the chain, oil flows into it from the oil tank through the oil line.
How to start a chainsaw correctly
Before starting the chain saw, you must apply the chain brake and remove the tire guard.
After that, do the following:
- Press the decompression valve control button, if present;
- Activate the mode switch lever
- Place the saw on the ground, pressing the rear handle with your right foot and grasping the front handle with your left hand;
- Pull the starter handle until the engine starts;
- Press the mode switch lever and press it until the saw starts;
- Increase idle speed and release chain brake.
On most chainsaw models, the carburetors are arranged the same.
They have a flap in the body. With its help, both screws (main and idle), diffuser, impulse channel and inlet connection are adjusted. The damper also regulates the supply of ambient air.
Understanding how the carburetor works will help you adjust the carburetor correctly. It works like this:
- The engine starts, an air damper opens at the bottom of the housing;
- A vacuum occurs inside the float chamber and in the air channel because the piston moves;
- Air is drawn in through the diffuser;
- From the petrol tank, the fuel mixture enters the float chamber through the union;
- The diffuser mixes gasoline with air;
- The fuel-air mixture enters the combustion chamber through the intake ports.
With the help of the damper, you can adjust the intensity of air flow into the fuel, with the help of screws, adjust the engine speed, with the help of a jet, the rate of gasoline entering the diffuser.