Many, having developed a factory line on a newly acquired trimmer, try to rewind a new one, but they cannot, because they do not know how to wind the line onto the reel spool (bobbin). It seems that there is an instruction, but it still doesn’t work out. Let’s try to deal with this issue in this article.
So, to rewind the fishing line, you need, for starters, to remove the reel from the trimmer – it will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
Remove the coil from the trimmer
On small electric trimmers with the bottom position of the engine (when it is when working near the ground), the coil usually has two keys on its sides. We click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and petrol trimmers with a curved bar (it is still not possible to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to grab the coil body with one hand, and with the second hand you need to start turning the lamb on it. It is he who fastens the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, being careful not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and petrol trimmers with a straight rod and a gearbox at its end (in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife on such trimmers) we look for a hole under the coil, insert a screwdriver into it, for example, rotate the coil quietly until the screwdriver penetrates even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now twist the entire coil clockwise (since the thread is left) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled using latches or twisted by a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then we press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just twist the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper one with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you must also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
More than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and see
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
If your coil is designed to work with only one antennae, then everything is simple. You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find the hole fixing the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start reeling the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate an arrow, in which direction to wind the line. After winding up the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound to expose it. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inside of the reel and designed so that the fishing line does not unwind at the time of collection of the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the reel. Next, we take the outer part of the reel and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, collect and put the reel back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we see how many grooves are available for winding fishing line. There may be one or two. If there is one groove, then both antennae are wound along this same groove. If there are two grooves, then each antennae is wound on its own groove. The reel with one groove should have a through hole into which the line is threaded. Unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that on each side of the fishing line sticks out equally. And at the same time we wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little fishing line unwound, we fix the ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, hold them with our fingers. Pass both ends into the holes on the outer coil body. We assemble the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
Video: How to Reel Carver Trimmer Correctly
If there are two grooves, we fold the piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the bend point into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line in each groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are still reels in which the line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the fishing line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer casing of the reel, the reel is assembled and the button, which is usually pressed, is rotated so that the line can be released during operation as it wears out. Turn the button – the line itself is wound inside. At the same time, turning it in the “wrong” direction will not work, since it can only spin in one direction. If you get used to it, then you can wind the line onto such a reel without even taking it apart – you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer case of the reel, and then thread the line into them.
That’s all for the matter. Good winding!
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for a long time, for some owners of private houses it is still a novelty. That is why often questions arise about how to properly wind a line on an electric or gas trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly to achieve the desired result. Moreover, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers give an answer to this urgent question. Study the article and find out how the line is wound around the reel of the trimmer.
The procedure for winding fishing line on the trimmer reel
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working nozzles. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of fishing line – this point should be considered when purchasing supplies.
So, how do you charge the fishing line into the trimmer coil? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press your fingers on the two latches located on opposite sides of the slots, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: the reels with automatic line feed have a spring, which can forcefully drop the lid along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove scraps of old fishing line.
- Now you need to find the middle of the fishing line. To do this, rewind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut and fold in half.
- Hook the middle of the fishing line into an existing recess or insert it into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by the arrow, which is usually applied to the body of the trimmer coil (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided reel: in this case, the fishing line should be wound in different directions: one end – in one direction, the other – in the other, while the loop of the fishing line must be brought into the dividing slot located in the middle.
- Leave the loose ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be drum assembly. Replace the washers and spring. On the upper ring of the reel there are two recesses where you need to fill the antenna line of the fishing line. Pass them through the holes and install the reel in the drum, trying to tighten the fishing line and not displace the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess fishing line will be cut off by the cutting blade itself.
As you can see, it is easy to wind the line onto the reel of the trimmer: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will be useful to you when choosing a fishing line, its winding and subsequent work:
- Fishing line is of different thickness and with different cross-section. The best option for winding is the "native" for this model of fishing line;
- Never use a fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawn mower, but also others;
- The fishing line is cut off when the working trimmer comes into contact with solid objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop every time, turn off the device and rewind the fishing line onto the reel;
- Use a straight line for mowing grass and a pigtail line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not be permanently cut.