How to wind a trimmer line on a STIHL grass trimmer
How much fishing line to wind on a STIHL grass trimmer reel
The grass trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small shrubs. This device features its ease of maintenance, uncomplicated operation during work, and thanks to its low weight even women can cope with it. It’s no secret that high-quality grass-cutting jobs require the right cutting attachment. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting nozzles (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside. Nozzles and fishing line for the trimmer are an expendable tool, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the fishing line is expended, it is necessary to replace it. In this article we’ll show you in great detail how to correctly change your lines for your STIHL grass trimmer.
A grass mowing head is a cylindrical body with a spool with a piece of fishing line (filament) set in it. This design can be mounted on either a petrol or electric trimmer. Bobbins differ in filling and feeding method, and may be of three types.
- Automatic. Ropes are fed in after the user has reduced the engine speed. Although automatic line feed is convenient if you do a lot of work, but these bobbins have a drawback. a high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. No complicated operations are required from the user when using this type of head. The principle of their work is designed so that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine works at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the head trimmer for grass on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for trimmer thanks to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, after which it is cut to length by the knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, the machine must be stopped and then the trimmer line is pulled out by hand.
Based on the above, semi-automatic spools are the best option. It should also be borne in mind that the grass trimmer reels for grass can be single string (used only for trimming grass) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
For the quick and safe changing of the lines on the mower spool it is important to follow the safety instructions. Before removing the spool to wind the line for the trimmer on the lawnmower, it is necessary to disconnect the technique from the power supply (if the mower runs on electricity). Here we want to mention the rating of electric lawn mowers by reliability, which will help you choose a safe helper.
Another important safety rule to follow is to press the lock button. You can find out where it is located on the machine from the instruction manual. You can find, for example, the instruction manual for your hand-held petrol lawnmower here.
Do not forget that the cutting element must be adjusted. There is an adjustment button on the body of the machine. If the process does not start automatically and there was a loosening of the thread tension, then the button is clamped, and the line for the trimmer with force is pulled from the spool.
It should be remembered that replacing the line in the lawnmower is an important process that requires responsibility. It is necessary to perform everything step by step, and only a special polyethylene line for trimmer should be inserted into the reel. An iron cord, some high quality wire or even reinforced line for trimmer will not fit here.
Choosing a fishing line
In order to successfully thread fishing line into the trimmer head, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumable material. The thicker the filament, the thicker and harder the grass it can cut. A universal trimmer line with a diameter of 2 mm is often used. Select the right diameter for the mower can be found in the following ways:
- Look for information about the thickness of the line in the instruction manual that comes with your trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet hole. If it passes through it without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer Choose a cord according to the type of motor. If the fishing line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the motor in this case will overheat greatly and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor under 500 V, a 1.3 mm cord is fine. If you can’t find one, you can use a 1.6 mm trimmer line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, install 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Also pay attention to the cross-sectional area of the filament. Some popular choices:
- The most common cords are round. They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with bushes, deadwood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, star-shaped or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest cord is the two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular section.
Types of fishing line for grass trimmer Take into account that you cannot use wire, metal strings and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and those around them. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result of their ends unravel, and the small pieces will fly with great speed.
How to wind a line for a trimmer on the reel of a Patriot grass trimmer?
Almost every beginner when using a grass trimmer faces the problem of changing the fishing line. Despite the fact that changing the line for a trimmer is very easy, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing a fishing line with the proper dexterity will not take more than five minutes. just practice it all the time. In this article we will consider how to change the fishing line on the example of Patriot trimmers.
What line to choose for your trimmer?
Before you stock up on this material for the grass trimmer, you need to decide on a choice. After all, the usual so-called round line for trimmers is not the only kind that exists. So how to choose the most suitable one? The first thing to do is to determine the working conditions.
Choice by type. A line for trimmers with a circular cross-section is the most common. It is compatible with all spools, with a few exceptions. This type of consumable material is suitable for mowing fresh, juicy grass. But it might not be good for cutting dead grass. Trying to mow bushes with this type of thread is pointless.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. They are usually made “star” or “square”. A sharp edge is the main feature and the key difference between these filaments.
It is because of this feature that these types of filaments are able to mow dry weeds. But pointed filaments are not without disadvantages, the main of which can be called the rapid wear and tear and strength, noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned line types, there are other interesting and frequently encountered varieties. Particularly noteworthy among them are fishing lines, inside of which there is a metal wire. Threads of this type are often used in tools that run on gasoline and have an engine with more than one and a half horsepower.
Threads with a metal core come in both circular and sharp-edged versions. Regardless of the cross section type, such filaments are perfectly suited to overcome hard-to-mow plants. This type of threads can easily cut not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
Filaments with wire inside compare favorably to other types of consumables by their incredible durability. But unfortunately, this feature has more than a noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of thread with a core is much higher than the cost of other types of thread.
Choosing by thickness
You should also pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable material. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is good. The larger the diameter of the filament, the drier and coarser the weeds it can handle.
There is a “but” when choosing the thickness of the line. It is important not only to assess the material capabilities, but also to take into account the features of the grass trimmer. Be sure to check the owner’s manual supplied with the machine for information about the cutting assembly requirements.
Using the wrong thread can lead to tool failure. Using too thick thread can overload the motor. And using too thin a thread will increase the wear and tear of the torque mechanism many times over.
That’s why the choice of consumable material should be approached with no less responsibility than its threading in the grass trimmer. When a suitable line for the trimmer is found and purchased, you can begin to consider how to wind it on the spool.
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer reel
Threading the line into the tool spool may not seem like a simple thing to do. But it is enough to study this process carefully. and in the future all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
To find out how to tuck the fishing line into the grass trimmer, it is worth reading this guide. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the spools of different types of trimmers, so it is applicable to any tool.
- The fishing line reel is the lower extremity of the grass trimmer. First and foremost, of course, it is necessary to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the spool is attached. It must be secured in such a way that it does not twist. This is easiest to do by placing between the threads of the shaft through a special hole a kind of mortar (preferably metal). When the shaft is locked in place, you can unscrew the spool.
- At this stage it is necessary to remove the bobbin from the head, to which the line for the trimmer is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you must first find a lock on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is similar to a button. When a retainer is found, you need to press on it with force. Keeping the latch pressed, you must turn the head cover clockwise. Then remove the cover and take out the bobbin.
- There is a tight spring between the bobbin and the head. It should be set aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding to the stage of winding the fishing line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new one.
- From the pre-prepared roll of new line you must measure and cut off six (maximum seven) meters. The bobbin should be at hand.
At this point actually begins the key stage, which is the focus of this article.
The first method of winding the line
The right amount of fishing line is cut. Now you need to carefully inspect the bobbin to see what type it belongs to. This depends on how it is to wind the line for the trimmer.
There are two types of bobbins. In general, they do not differ much from each other. Regardless of the type, the spool is divided into two compartments. the upper and lower. The first type has a split edge which is not ring-shaped and has a recess.
In the second type, it is solid, but near it on both sides there are small through holes. The way of winding the thread should be studied depending on which of the above types the spool belongs to.
- The previously prepared six-meter section should be bent in half. It is best not exactly in the middle, but so that one half is longer by about fifteen centimeters.
- Then insert the place of the bend into the recess in the separating edge. One half of the line should be at the top of the spool and the other half at the bottom.
- Now you can start winding the bobbin itself. Wind in the direction of the arrow on the bobbin. When winding, hold the thread so that it is not twisted and the upper half is wound into the upper part of the spool and the lower half is wound into the lower part. Leave about fifteen centimeters from the end of each half free.
- In the upper edge of the bobbin there are small notches (or, in other words, grooves) for fixing the consumable material. The ends of the threads must be inserted into these notches so that they are secured one against the other.
- The final stage of threading the consumable material in the tool. the ends fixed on the bobbin should be slipped into the appropriate holes in the trimmer head for grass.
- That’s it. The winding process is complete. Now it remains only to assemble the head into a single whole. The spring is carefully placed back between the bobbin and the head. Then insert the bobbin into the head and press them together.
- It is recommended to pull the loose ends of the thread outwards. To do this, take turns pulling the ends of the consumable so as to pull them out of the slots of the bobbin. Check that the cutting element is removed from the retaining grooves by pulling the threads out; they should exit freely through the head openings.
- Pressing the bobbin down, place the cover over it. Cover should be screwed to the head so that all the grooves on their bodies aligned and the bobbin remained fixed between them.
- Lastly, the head is screwed back onto the lower part of the tool.
The process is complete. The line for the trimmer is inserted into the spool. The grass trimmer is ready for further use.
The second way of winding
- The previously prepared piece of six meters long, it is required to bend exactly in the middle and cut. That will make two pieces of equal length.
- At one end of each piece you need to make a small “hook”. To do this, bend a couple of centimeters from the edge and briefly fix it so that the “hook” does not unbend.
- Then one length is taken. The “hook” is inserted into the through hole at the top of the spool.
- Now we can proceed to the key step, which is winding. An arrow on the bobbin indicates the direction to wind. It is important to make sure that the line for the trimmer is wound strictly within the upper part of the spool. Wind the thread up to the tip is not necessary. from the end should remain free about fifteen centimeters.
- There are small notches (so called grooves) in the upper edge of the spool for fixing the material. The free “tail” of the thread must be inserted into one of these notches.
- The upper part of the spool is tucked in. Now it is necessary to do the same procedure with the lower part. The second piece of thread is taken. “Hook” is slipped into the through hole in the bottom of the bobbin.
- After that you can start winding the line for the trimmer (within the lower compartment). And in this segment, it is also necessary to leave about fifteen centimeters from the end free. This remaining “tail” must be inserted into the notch opposite to the one in which the end of the first segment is inserted.
Replacement instructions. how to insert the line for the trimmer
It should be noted that the spools in mowers can be different:
- to function with a single tendril;
- to function with two tendrils;
- the line for the trimmer must be threaded through the through hole, which is located inside the element.
And you should not confuse this part with an extension cord for a lawnmower on a spool, because despite the similar name, these are two completely different elements.
Mini chainsaw is designed for uncomplicated jobs and people who prefer to hold the device with one hand.
This article will tell you how much a ZIL 130 dump truck weighs and what this vehicle can do.
Read here //machinspec.com/lesozagotovitelnaya/benzopila/stanok-dlya-zatochki.html how to assemble a chain saw chain sharpening machine with your own hands quickly and easily.
In the first version, winding the cutting element is very simple:
- On the inside of the spool element there is a fixing lug.
- One strand of thread is inserted into it.
- The capron thread should be threaded in the opposite direction to the rotation of the spool element.
- You only need 2 to 4 meters of fishing line. When the winding process is complete, expose the small end of this cutting element to the outside and fix it in the groove, which is necessary to fix the line so that it will not unravel during the mower operation.
- If there is no special groove, then the end should be held by hand so that the cutting element will not unwind during further assembly of the element.
- The last step is to insert the outer end of the thread through the special hole on the outside of the element. The spool can then be inserted into the mower.
Change of line
When the roller works with two ends of polyethylene thread, then you need to do the following steps to tuck the line for the trimmer into the lawnmower:
- Inside the spool you will see how many notches there are for winding (two or one). If there is one recess, then both ends of the thread will run through this recess. If there are two, then the tendrils are placed separately. each in its own notch.
- It is necessary to coil 2 to 4 meters of polyethylene thread and put its two ends through the hole.
- Wind both ends of the filament in the same direction, reversing the rotation of the drum.
- When all the line for the trimmer is wound, the ends should be secured in the grooves or held by hand.
- Both ends are threaded through the eye on the outside of the roller housing.
- The reel is then assembled and inserted into the mower.
To insert the line for the trimmer into the lawnmower, in which the spool contains two grooves, you must use the previous option of threading this polyethylene thread. In this case, each end of the line will be wound through its groove. All other operations are similar to the previous process.
The spool element or roller can have a completely different design than the previous two options. the line for the trimmer can be threaded through the eye, which is through and inside the spool. In this case, there is no need to disassemble the roller drum and wind the polyethylene thread by hand.
Polyethylene thread is threaded through the hole and rotated by pressing a special button. This button is located on the body and is designed to operate the machine so that you can release the line for the trimmer as it wears out.
Rules and recommendations
Do not worry if the polyethylene thread is wound in the wrong direction, as it can only rotate in one direction in this design.
First, for winding the fishing line, it is required to remove the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. certain actions will depend on the difficulty of configuration and the type of the product itself:
- small electronic grass trimmers with a working motor and spool at the bottom usually have side buttons on both sides of the reel. When you simultaneously press them, the higher part of the spool together with the internal contents for winding the fishing line is detached, while the lower one remains on the trimmer. It is better to disassemble the bobbin on a flat smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and get lost;
- Electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with a bent bar without the ability to install a knife, usually have a special spool wing: a similar design, one hand should hold the bobbin in a stationary position, and the other counterclockwise to twist the fixing spool on the rod nut, wing nuts. How to tuck the line for the trimmer in the trimmer for grass? How to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool. It is clear how to charge the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer. After unscrewing the nut, the entire spool is removed.
- electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with the ability to install a blade on a straight bar (for example, STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. For the immobility of the rod in this hole is inserted screwdriver or other suitable object, and with a slow rotation is achieved in such a reciprocal placement, when the screwdriver goes inside the hole, and the bobbin is fixed. After which the body of the spool is rotated clockwise (at left-hand thread) and removed from the trimmer for grass.
For the second and third version of the spool, depending on the design, disassembled by different methods. In reels with a wing nut, the wing nut is unscrewed; in reels with latches, the latch latches are pressed and one part of the reel is released from the other part. How to tuck the line for a trimmer in how to do it right cheap line for a trimmer. 2. You have at your site. If the bobbin halves are connected by threads, it’s enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
How to wind the line for trimmer on the grass trimmer reel
First determine the consumable length for your spool. Wind the trimmer line onto the bobbin until it goes over the bobbins. We have 4 meters. How much you get out depends on the diameter of your trimmer line for the bobbin and the design features.
How to wind it
Fold the line in half for your trimmer. Leave one end longer than the other by 10-15 cm.
Lay the line for the trimmer according to the direction shown on the body of the item.
Insert the short end into the groove on the side of the spool.
Fasten the long end in the opposite groove.
Place the spool with the wound line in the bobbin case.
Trim the ends of the line, leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
The replacement of the fishing line is complete and now all that remains is to screw the bobbin onto the grass trimmer and you can work.
Features of trimmer application
Grass trimmer, mowing grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flowerbeds, rows in the garden.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, as a trimmer for grass, there are several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a trimmer line. Of course, the line tucked into the grass trimmer spool for trimmer is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
The amount of line you use depends on how often you use the machine and the amount of work you do. The more grass you cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the trimmer line is used up. And, accordingly, the sooner it will run out. This raises the question: how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. And after all, the winding of the fishing line on the spool plays an important role in the work of the grass trimmer. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line for the trimmer on the spool. About how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and we will talk in this article.
The final point of the instruction
Usually the process of replacing fishing line on a particular model trimmer is popularly described in the accompanying documentation. Another issue is that this documentation is often in a foreign language, as notorious lawnmowers in the mass of its products. imported products.
Meanwhile, there is a much simpler, more economical and healthy for human and nature. putting lawns in order with an ordinary peasant scythe. The blade of the grass trimmer:
which is followed by abundant green growth, not the formation of dead wood as with the grass trimmer.
Trimmer line. Varieties and possible substitutions for other material
Grass trimmer cord can be of different diameter (from 1.2 to 4 mm), and you need to choose it depending on what kind of vegetation you want to mow. the thicker the trimmer cord, the coarser the grass it will handle. Experienced users recommend putting a 2 mm thick trimmer line, which is universal.
The line shape can be round (for lush grass) or with square or star-shaped sharp edges (for mowing dry grass). The second type is less durable and wears out faster than the round cord.
One of the popular questions regarding the operation of trimmers is whether the special mower cord can be replaced with other materials, such as metal or steel cables and strings, wire, etc.д. Need to know that the installation of such items is not recommended, because together with them, the grass trimmer turns into a dangerous technique. During mowing, pieces of wire or metal will constantly break off and fly in different directions, risking injury to the worker. And if you accidentally touch your limbs while working, you could seriously injure yourself.
Owners of trimmers, who wonder whether fishing line can be used for trimmer, answer. it is allowed, but it will tear and wear out much faster, and therefore require frequent replacement.
Tip! Fishing line for trimmer is good for cleaning grass near a fence or metal mesh. instead of wasting expensive trimmer cord, you can charge a large caliber tackle (2-3 mm), which costs much cheaper.
Winding the line on the grass trimmer
Measured and careful dismantling of the bobbin from the grass trimmer spool makes it possible to proceed directly to the winding of the fishing line. The design features of the head, the number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, as well as determine the methods used. Today there are several varieties of spools, depending on the number of fishing line tendrils and methods of winding it:
Grass trimmer reel with one tendril
Many owners and experts note the ease of operating and threading a single moustache spool. Depending on the manufacturer, the line length can vary from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted in the head into a special technological groove or hole, and winding is performed in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the reel. On most spools on the outside of the body there are marks in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of movement of the trimmer reel for grass.
After winding, you need to leave a loose end 15-30 cm to increase centrifugal force, which is crucial when retrieving trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We put the left end through the working hole of the spool and assemble the head.
Trimmer head with two tendrils
After removing the bobbin from the body of the spool, determine the number of lines for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between single-groove and double-groove spools, but there are operating problems with careless spooling into a twin-groove spool. Because neighboring lines are likely to become entangled in the tool, it may be impossible to retrieve new lines after the working filament has worn out.
Regardless of the number of lines, a trimmer line between 1.5 to 3 m. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, as winding in the direction of movement will lead to the fact that the line for the trimmer will not be extracted from the bobbin. Once the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel, the free ends (15-30 cm) are threaded into the special holes. Then we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check its performance. Do not worry if the ends of the two tendrils are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer for grass, the blade installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market have a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and lock the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on in operating mode. Incorrect winding of line for trimmer in the trimmer for grass with such a head is almost impossible, since the coil itself determines the position of the tendrils. The advantages of the automatic grass trimmer head include the ease of filling the line, and the disadvantages are the frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and the high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the grass trimmer reel and lawnmower
In order not to make a mistake in choosing the right fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually presented on the tip, which will not allow you to make a mistake with the appropriate fishing line.
If the information on the reel about what diameter line for trimmer can be tucked in, then this information can be clarified in the manual. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rigging, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but they are not all applicable. Let’s consider both methods in detail, and depending on what models of brushcutters and trimmers you use, decide for yourself which variant is suitable.
This is interesting! The principle of how to twist the line for a trimmer on the lead trimmer, is appropriate not only for standalone gasoline units, but also for electric trimmers.
Block: 5/8 | Number of characters: 933
Further information on changing a filament
Before you load the line for the trimmer into the spool, you should take advantage of a few tips from the manufacturers. Not only for beginners, but also for experienced trimmers.
These recommendations will help prevent personal injury and extend the life of the equipment:
- Do not wind the line with force and tightening, in addition, use a longer length than it is supposed to be.
- After replacing the line, you should check that the unit is working properly.
- Replace cover until it clicks into place. If at least one safety catch does not click into place, the reel can swing out while working.
Important! Grass mowing should be carried out in special goggles and suits, as small objects fall under the rotating parts of the mechanism, which can fly off and injure others.
Now you know how to put the fishing line on the grass trimmer, and you see that in this work there is nothing complicated. It’s important to choose the right consumable and replace it according to our instructions. In a short time, all your manipulations will be practiced to automatism.
Tell us in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев if you had any trouble replacing the cords or if you did it right the first time.
To learn more about how to quickly and easily tuck your trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool, the following will help