What are the batteries in a Makita screwdriver
For more than 100 years, the Japanese brand Makita has been pleasing its customers with constantly improving high-quality screwdrivers. The manufacturer’s assortment includes both battery and network models. Which of them and why it is worth giving preference, as well as the intricacies of the work of screwdrivers with a lithium battery, will be described in this article.
Almost any screwdriver of the Japanese manufacturer can completely replace a set of tools. It is great for working with a wide variety of classic mounts. Such a screwdriver is convenient and functional in operation.
The power of 18 volts and a wear-resistant gearbox allow you to mount even large-diameter self-tapping screws, without fear of poor-quality work or quick breakdown of the device. The power control button of the screwdriver is located on the rubberized handle of the device, which makes its use as convenient and safe as possible.
Additional functions, such as changing operating speeds and backlighting, allow you to comfortably perform the necessary actions using this tool quickly and efficiently.
If you purchase the latest developments of the Makita model, then, if necessary, they can also be used as a drill.
True, in this case it is better to choose the screwdriver that is sold together with autonomous charging, and does not work directly only from the network connection.
Japanese-made screwdriver motor has excellent wear resistance, does not overheat, and some models have a shutdown function when overheating. Battery change screwdrivers cannot be operated if the charger is plugged in. This can lead to overheating and premature failure of the unit.
In general, all Makita screwdrivers are characterized
- high functionality
- affordable price
- continuous uptime
- additional warranty from the manufacturer
- ease of use
It is difficult to find today a manufacturer of such devices with a similar combination of price and quality.
Like any other tool, screwdrivers of Japanese manufacturers have their pros and cons. The main advantages are quite a lot.
- Universality of use
- Virtually fully autonomous
- The cost of spare parts is lower than the price of products of competing brands
- Light weight due to which the use of a screwdriver does not cause discomfort and a feeling of tired hands
- Existence of a special button for smooth descent and sharp braking of work
- Stylish and modern design
- Affordable price
- The warranty period of the original tool is 3 years.
There are also minor flaws, which, however, can be quickly eliminated if necessary.
- When performing a large amount of work, the engine can quickly start. In this case, it is enough to purchase a special reinforced gearbox, and this minus will be eliminated.
- Weak screwdriver power or low backlight level. It is difficult to eliminate such a flaw on your own, but it can be avoided if you correctly purchase a tool to perform specific tasks.
The advantages of such tools are much greater than the disadvantages. Therefore, it is not surprising that every year the number of fans of Makita brand products increases.
The manufacturer today offers customers a wide range of these tools. All of them can be divided into several large groups:
- Mains or battery. They differ from each other in the way they work: either from a direct connection to the mains (electric) or from a replaceable battery (stand-alone). When performing a small amount of work, it is better to purchase the second option. At the same time, electric wire tools are more suitable for private and long-term use.
- Tape device greatly facilitates a large amount of work and reduces the overall time it takes. Self-tapping screws are inserted sequentially into a special moving tape, which, when the screwdriver is turned on, advance independently.
- Cassette tool. The usual standard, which is more suitable for domestic use. It does not have such a function as the previous model, each self-tapping screw must be installed independently.
- Professional and household units. They differ from each other in power, the presence of additional equipment, speed. At the same time, both of these types can be both complete with a lamp, and without it.
- Brushless screwdriver has a special brushless motor. It is in such tools that you can quickly and in a wide range change the intensity and speed of the unit itself. New generation household electric screwdrivers are virtually all brushless.
- Impulse and shock tools differ from each other by the movement of the drill. In the first case it is intermittent and more intense, in the second it is smooth and sliding.
- Classic and corner electric screwdriver. In the first case, the model is more compact. It has a long handle and a short upper working part. This is what makes such a tool as convenient to use in hard-to-reach places as possible.
- 12 volts, 18 volts, 220 volts. this marking indicates the battery power and the voltage intensity of the network to charge it. The higher this indicator is, the more powerful and durable the screwdriver will be.
Video: What are the batteries in a Makita screwdriver
Despite the fairly wide range, there are some screwdrivers that are especially popular with buyers.
Makita DDF343SHE. The best screwdriver for professionals. The wireless model has two removable batteries, which allows it to be used for a long time without interruption in recharging.
FS4000. Another model that is popular with professional builders and carpenters. Has a high speed, convenient power switch, capacious battery. It fits comfortably in the hand and performs all its functions efficiently. The presence of additional illumination makes it possible to use it in low light conditions.
Model 6807. is a universal tool. A cordless screwdriver ideal for both professionals and home users. Powerful, not overheating during prolonged use, ergonomic and easy to use. It’s also important that the price of such a tool is available to everyone.
FS4300. A network model of an electric screwdriver, which is indispensable for home use. The device itself has a small weight, fits comfortably in the hand, does not bring discomfort during long-term operation, quickly allows you to perform the necessary operations.
It is one of the most popular household models of this device. It is characterized by low noise, high battery, good power and versatility.
It has a modern stylish design, it is considered one of the most budget, but modern models of Makita screwdrivers.
- You should not choose a tool, focusing on its price. The first thing you should pay attention to is technical specifications.
- If a screwdriver will be used almost daily and to perform a large number of work, then professional models should be bought. If you plan to use it from case to case, then a simple tool for the average person is quite suitable.
- Particular attention should be paid to the rotation speed. the higher it is, the more powerful the device. For domestic needs, you can buy screwdrivers 400-500 rpm, and for professionals, this figure should fluctuate in the range from 1100 to 1300 rpm.
- Network models are more suitable for home use. They have more weight than a cordless tool and need direct electrical current.
- It is advisable to give preference to screwdrivers with a keyless chuck, and not with a key. The former are faster and easier to maintain and do not require the use of an additional key.
- At least for home, at least for professional use, it is better to purchase a tool that has a reverse function. It allows you to unscrew the screw without using additional tools.
- Convenience of operation. It is necessary to take the device in hand and evaluate the comfort of holding it both in the off and on state. This will subsequently avoid unpleasant sensations when using it.
It will be useful to familiarize yourself with the components located in the case before buying. This is especially important when acquiring a professional screwdriver. The more diverse the contents of the case, the less likely it is that subsequently it will be necessary to buy additional tools again.
Together with each screwdriver, a special insert is implemented, which contains all the basic requirements and recommendations for the proper use of a specific device model. But there are general rules for all screwdrivers of this brand, which must be followed.
- Work must be in a well-lit place.
- Children and persons in a state of AL-KO intoxication are not allowed to work.
- You can not leave the device, regardless of its type and specific model in the rain, snow or bright sun.
- Before turning on the screwdriver, you must remove all unnecessary tools from it.
- During operation, you can not put too much pressure on him.
- When performing adjustment work, as well as before removing the cartridge or any other components, the screwdriver should be turned off and, if necessary, disconnected from the mains.
- Before and after each use, the health of all parts of the tool and its cleanliness should be checked.
- Only those chargers specified by the manufacturer should be used for charging.
- It is strictly forbidden to disassemble and attempt to repair the tool’s charging unit yourself.
Any operating manual for screwdrivers of this Japanese brand without fail contains these basic rules. Their observance is considered extremely important both for the correct and safe operation of the device, and for the safety of the person himself.
The Japanese brand is not the only one in the world who is engaged in the manufacture and sale of screwdrivers of various types and models. A small comparative description with the main competitors will allow you to really compare the pros and cons of each brand and ultimately make the right choice.
- Bosch. Another world famous manufacturer of screwdrivers. Unlike the Makita brand, the cost of the tool itself, as well as its spare parts, is much higher. In addition, during operation, even with a standard tool, even with a professional one, a strong beating of the cartridge itself is often observed. This creates certain inconvenience during its long-term use and quickly causes hand fatigue. Otherwise, there are no serious complaints about Bosch devices.
- Metabo. A German manufacturer famous for producing really high-quality tools. Its key difference from the products of the Japanese manufacturer is the higher cost of screwdrivers. There are no complaints about the technical characteristics and the operation of the devices themselves.
- Dewalt. It is almost an equal competitor to the Japanese manufacturer. Both of them produce high-quality and durable products. The main difference is that parts for Dewalt brand screwdrivers are not only more expensive, they are even harder to find.
All these manufacturers in the tool market have been working for more than a dozen years. During this time, they have earned a good reputation and created a circle of their customers. At the same time, the quality of their screwdrivers and the lineup are very similar. Therefore, it is impossible to single out one brand and say that it is the best.
Screwdrivers are complex tools. That is why the manufacturer does not advise to do a full-fledged repair of devices with their own hands, if it comes to serious damage. If the problems in the work are small, for example, a cartridge jams, then disassembling the instrument with your own hands is quite allowed.
Replacement of components should be carried out only in a de-energized device. To do this, the device is turned off, disconnected from the power supply or the battery is removed and only then proceed with further actions.
In any case, you must first properly disassemble the tool itself:
- remove the screws securing the device body to each other
- remove the start button and all its components
- remove the gear motor from the disassembled housing
- disconnect these two mechanisms from each other
If it is necessary to change the cartridge in the tool, then first you must determine the method of its attachment to the shaft and then act according to the instructions.
The inscription "1-6 B10" indicates the Morse mount. In this case, all that is needed is to knock out the old cartridge with an ordinary hammer. After that install a new one.
Type marking “1.0–11 M12x1.2” or “2–13 mm ½-20 UNF” means inch thread. In this case, open the cam of the cartridge, insert the short edge of the Allen key into the cams and hit it hard with a hammer. The edges move away, and the cartridge can be unscrewed by hand.
It will be possible to assemble the screwdriver after the new cartridge is installed in place.
If it comes to replacing brushes or gearboxes, it is best to contact a specialized service center. It is very difficult to independently perform such work in a high-quality and safe manner at home, especially without experience.
details about this brand of the tool are described in the video below.
Batteries for Makita screwdrivers
For optimal operation of the power tool, carefully select the batteries. Naturally, a Makita screwdriver is no exception. Therefore, it is important to understand what requirements are there, as well as what to pay attention to. Next, we will analyze all the main nuances of the battery for this equipment.
What are the batteries for Makita screwdrivers
In practice, a wide variety of batteries can be used. Between themselves, they can differ not only in the voltage used, but also in manufacturing technology. In each case, the characteristics will be different.
Typically, the instructions indicate the type of battery, but often a choice of several options is allowed. Therefore, for a start it is worth looking at the technical characteristics of the main varieties.
The main advantage of such batteries is the ability to quickly charge. But, at the same time, they may suffer from a “memory effect." In the case of screwdrivers, they are used in models with medium voltage.
Among the batteries there are models with voltage:
During the operation of batteries of this type, it should be remembered that they require a high level of discharge. If you charge them, without waiting for a full discharge, the service life will be significantly reduced. A good option would be to use specialized chargers, which, before charging, completely discharge the nickel-cadmium battery.