How much to dilute the gasoline for the grass trimmer
Fuel mixture preparation rules
For many newbies who bought a brushcutter, the issue of diluting gasoline with oil for preparing a gasoline mixture becomes a problem. After all, you need to know the proportions and adhere to them very scrupulously. The instructions for the product usually indicate in what ratio to dilute the components: 1:25 or 1:32, or 1:40, or 1:50. This means that for 1 part of oil, you need to take 25, 32, 40 or 50 parts of gasoline and mix them.
It is, of course, inconvenient to measure in such categories, therefore it is better to determine, by simple mathematical calculations, how much oil is needed per liter of gasoline. To do this, divide 1 liter, which is 1000 ml, by a known proportion. It turns out the following mixing table.
|Ratio||Gasoline (ml)||Oil (ml)|
Most often, mineral oils should be diluted in a ratio of 1:40, and synthetic grades 1:50. Whereas for budget Chinese brushcutters, the proportions are completely different. 1:32 or 1:25. This is due to the fact that in low-power models made in China, a different assembly is used, and the distance between the piston and the cylinder is much greater.
Advice! For measuring fuel, it is best to use a graduated measuring container. Even an ordinary syringe is suitable for this.
Further actions have the following sequence.
- First, you need to pour gasoline into the container (canister), and then add the required amount of oil. If you first pour out the oil, then due to the higher density it will settle on the walls of the container and mix poorly.
- The next step. the contents of the canister should be thoroughly mixed by means of circular movements of the closed container.
- After diluting to homogeneity, the fuel must be poured into the mower’s fuel tank.
Important! You should not immediately use the gas tank to prepare the mixture.
You can watch the video for more detailed and visual instructions.
Rules for pouring the mixture into different engines
All of the above is relevant for two-stroke engines. In the case of four-stroke engines, nothing needs to be diluted and mixed. gasoline is poured into the fuel tank, and oil into the crankcase. It is important to know that oil intended for a four-stroke engine or for a liquid cooling system cannot be added to a brushcutter with a two-stroke engine. Otherwise, the entire piston system will be disabled or severe overheating will occur.
Important! For the first filling of a four-stroke engine, no more than 90 ml of oil can be poured into a special tank.
Features of refueling brushcutters
Depending on the design of the engine, brushcutters are divided into two-stroke and four-stroke. In the first case, the piston in an internal combustion engine makes 2 strokes in one working cycle, and in the second case, 4 strokes. Differences in the principle of operation of the engine also cause different approaches to refueling the grass trimmer.
Mixture storage rules
The remaining unused fuel mixture needs a dark, dry area where it can stay for up to 2 months. In general, there are different expert opinions on this matter:
- for mineral oils, the shelf life is 7-10 days, after which their lubricating properties are lost;
- for semi-synthetic and synthetic brands, there is evidence that they are stored from 30 days to 2 months.
After a longer period of time, it is recommended to change the fuel to a fresher and newer one.
So, above was described in detail the process of how to properly dilute the gas mixture for two-stroke brushcutter engines. To avoid damage to the grass trimmer due to insufficient oil or frequent cleaning and unstable operation due to excess lubricant, you should carefully read and follow the operating instructions for your lawn mower.
Oil selection rules
Engine oil, depending on the chemical composition, is:
- mineral. made from petroleum distillates and designed for low-power air-cooled equipment;
- semi-synthetic. is a mixture of mineral and synthetic oils and is suitable for 2T and 4T, as well as for air and liquid cooling;
- synthetic. made on the basis of esters and can be used in powerful technology, as well as for work in difficult climatic conditions.
TOTAL tools Gasoline grass trimmer & bush cutter
Important! Oils for two-stroke and four-stroke engines differ in their ability to dissolve, burn and evaporate. At the same time, in order for the liquid lubricant to differ from gasoline, it is painted in different colors: blue, green, red.
Depending on the API classification, the following groups of oils for trimmer motors can be distinguished:
- TA. for low-power equipment with an engine volume of up to 50 cm³ and air cooling;
- TV. for powerful equipment with a motor volume of 50-200 cm³ and an air cooling system;
- TS. for powerful two-stroke equipment (brushcutters, chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc.) with an engine volume of 50-200 cm³;
- TD. for engines of boats with liquid cooling.
In order to select the optimal oil for a specific grass trimmer model, it is best to take into account the recommendations specified in the instructions. For brushcutters 2T, API-TV and API-TC oil is usually used.
On a note! In addition, there is a JASO classification for two-stroke engines, and SAE30 is still used for four-stroke engines.
Leading garden equipment manufacturers develop and produce oils for their equipment themselves. Such lubricating compositions most fully satisfy all the technical and operational characteristics of a specific series of trimmers. For example, for STIHL (STIHL) FS 5 brushcutters, it is best to use STIHL HP or STIHL HP SUPER oil, for Husqvarna 143R, Husqvarna HP or Husqvarna LS oil is suitable. But for the Patriot brand, ordinary mineral oil M-8B is also suitable.
How to properly dilute grass trimmer gasoline
Depending on the trimmer type, they can be filled with a fuel mixture or separately with gasoline and oil. Now there is a huge variety of types of motor oils that are suitable for various equipment, including gardening. To choose the right fuel for a particular brushcutter model, you need to know its technical features and understand the brands of gasoline, as well as liquid lubricants. All the details on how to dilute gasoline with grass trimmer oil are in the material below.
Refueling a brushcutter with a two-stroke engine
In ordinary household models, the brushcutter, as a rule, uses a two-stroke engine. The lawn mower does not need a lot of power and agility, so it is quite suitable for the task at hand. In addition, this engine is much cheaper and simpler, but it is fueled with a mixture of oil and gasoline. Such fuel is poured into the carburetor and fed into the cylinder in the form of oil-gasoline mist. Thus, the oil provides lubrication of all the necessary parts, and in the process of engine operation, it burns out along with gasoline. However, the combustion of this mixture is accompanied by the release of a pungent odor and smoke, which increases the toxicity of exhaust gases.
Important! For such brushcutters, you need to use a special oil for two-stroke engines, which completely burns out without leaving a burn, and has a low evaporation rate. And so that it mixes well with gasoline, it contains 20% solvent.
Refueling a brushcutter with a four-stroke engine
Four-stroke engines are used in professional brushcutters. They have great power and can work for a long time without interruption and refueling. They also use gasoline and oil as fuel, but they are poured into different tanks. This means that the oil does not participate in the combustion process, therefore the exhaust gases are not so toxic.
On a note! Along with better environmental performance and the ability to heat less, the four-stroke brushcutter engines are also more economical. They consume much less fuel. savings up to 50% for gasoline and up to 80% for oil.
Consequences of violation of the ratio
The service life of the motor scooter engine depends on how accurately you follow the manufacturer’s recommended oil-gasoline ratio. The fact is that the fuel mixture enters the cylinders in the form of gasoline-oil mist. And the task of the oil composition is to lubricate the moving and rubbing parts and surfaces of various parts in the cylinder. If it suddenly turns out that there is not enough oil, and somewhere it will not be enough at all, the parts that touch dry will begin to damage each other. As a result, scuffs, scratches and chips are formed, which will certainly lead to complete or partial engine failure (for example, it can jam).
Guide For Mixing 2 Stroke Fuel For 52cc Petrol Brush Cutter, Grass Line Trimmer
In the opposite case, when too much oil enters the engine, it does not have time to completely burn out, settling on the cylinder walls and turning over time into solid particles. coke, slag and the like. As you might guess, this also leads to engine failure. The most important thing is that you must not allow even a single violation of the proportion in the direction of a lack of oil. It is better to pour a little oil 10 times than not to add just 1 time. It often happens that this time is quite enough to break the engine.
And now about how to mix the components correctly. However, it would be more logical to start with an analysis of common, but absolutely unacceptable mistakes that many owners of this mowing unit “sin” with. The following actions are considered as mixing errors.
- Adding oil to the fuel already poured into the brushcutter’s gas tank. In this way, a homogeneous fuel mixture cannot be obtained. Perhaps you will succeed if you only shake the grass trimmer for a long time. But it is unlikely that someone will do this, given the severity of the unit.
- First pour oil into a mixing container, and then add gasoline to it. Gasoline has a lower density than oil, so if it is poured into the oil, it will remain in the upper layer, that is, natural mixing will not occur. Of course, it will be possible to mix later, but it will take much more energy than if it were done the other way around. pour oil into the poured gasoline.
- Ignoring precise measuring instruments for taking the required quantities of ingredients used. In other words, diluting the amount of oil or gasoline “by eye” is a bad habit when operating motor vehicles.
- Take empty drinking water bottles for preparation of the fuel mixture. Such a container is made of too thin polyethylene, which can dissolve with gasoline.
Considering all of the above, we recommend using the following rules when mixing the fuel mixture for two-stroke engines of the grass trimmer.
- Use only clean containers made of metal or special plastic for storage of gasoline, oil, ready-made fuel mixture and its preparation.
- Use a watering can to pour gasoline into a dilution container to avoid spilling, and to add oil. a measuring container with volume risks or a medical syringe for 5 and 10 ml.
- First, pour gasoline into the canister for preparing the fuel mixture, and then oil.
- To dilute the mixture, first pour only half of the planned volume of gasoline into the container.
- Next, add to the gasoline the entire amount of oil required to prepare the mixture.
- Mix the contents of the dilution container thoroughly. It is best to stir by making circular movements with a tightly closed container. Do not stir the fuel inside the canister with any foreign object, since it is not known what material this object is made of, what reaction it can enter into with the ingredients of the mixture, how clean it is.
- Add the rest of the gasoline to the mixed mixture and mix thoroughly again.
- You can fill the mower’s fuel tank with the prepared mixture.
It must be borne in mind that the ready-made fuel mixture should not be stored for more than 14 days, as it loses its properties, stratifies and evaporates, which leads to changes in proportions, and therefore a deterioration in the operation of the grass trimmer.
String Trimmer Basics: String Trimmer Fueling and Starting
First of all, it is necessary to take into account the information that the manufacturer recommends, since in case of failure of the brushcutter, you can present your claims to him, and not to a third-party source. If there is no instruction in the passport, and even more so if there is no passport, then we recommend that you look for another model of grass trimmer from a more reliable seller.
For all other cases, when you have a lawn mower model in your hands and there is no way to find out its technical features, there are standard proportions of the most likely fuel mixture components for a two-stroke engine. Basically, these units use AI-92 gasoline and a special synthetic oil, which contains a solvent for better mixing with fuel. Such oil evaporates slowly and has the ability to completely burn out in the cylinder, leaving no carbon deposits.
The standard ratio of synthetic oil to gasoline is 1: 50. This means that 5 liters of gasoline requires 100 ml of oil, and in accordance with this oil consumption per 1 liter of gasoline is 20 ml. Knowing the amount of oil required to dilute 1 liter of fuel, you can easily calculate any rate when preparing fuel for your grass trimmer. When using mineral oils, the ratio of 1: 40 is most often the standard. Therefore, 1 liter of fuel will require 25 ml of such oil, and for a 5-liter canister. 125 ml.
When operating a lawn mower, a person with little experience in operating such equipment will not be difficult to determine and correct the actual amount of oil required for a particular model. You should only pay attention to the exhaust gases (their color, odor toxicity), cycle stability, engine heating and developed power. details about the consequences of incorrect mixing proportions of gasoline and oil can be expected in another section of the article. There are options for brushcutters running on AI-95 gasoline. This should also be considered.
If the manufacturer recommends fuel with such an octane number, then the requirements must be followed so as not to reduce the operating resource of the equipment thereby.
Gasoline to Oil Ratio for Lawn Mower
lawn mowers are a fairly common technique for combating weeds in summer cottages, in household, road and housing and communal services. These devices have two more names. grass trimmer and lawn mower. These units differ in their engines. The more expensive ones have four-stroke engines, all the others have two-stroke engines. Of course, the latter are the most popular among the population, since they are simpler in design, lighter in weight, and much cheaper than their four-stroke competitors. However, two-stroke models are inconvenient in that the fuel mixture for them must be prepared by hand, maintaining a strict dosage between gasoline and oil. In four-stroke analogs, the mixing of these components occurs automatically, you only need to fill the gas tank and oil tank with the corresponding substances. Let’s consider the question of the correct refueling of two-stroke brushcutters, since it depends on how effective and long the operation of such a unit will be.
How to choose for a lawn mower?
For two-stroke engines, brushcutters use AI-92 or AI-95 gasoline. Most often. the first of the named. There is always information about this in the technical data sheet of the product. If, for some reason, it is not known exactly on what gasoline the grass trimmer should work, you can pick it up by testing both brands of gasoline in action. Global changes in the engine will not happen from this, and it is quite possible to determine what kind of gasoline this or that model of the unit “loves” more, according to some factors. This will be shown by the developed power, and throttle response, and engine heating, as well as its stable operation at all speeds.
But it is much more difficult to determine the proportions of oil to a certain volume of gasoline. In this case, you need to know at least something about the manufacturer of the equipment. And already according to the standard proportions for this manufacturer, select the proportion for a specific model, taking into account the type of oil.
You can start selection even by country of origin.
For example, for Chinese low-power trimmers, two ratios are mainly used. 1: 25 or 1: 32. The first is for mineral oils, and the second is for synthetic oils. We have already talked about the choice of standard proportions for petrol cutters of European and American manufacturers in connection with the type of oil. According to the class of oils for household trimmers, you need to use TV oil according to the API classification. For more powerful. class TS.
For information on the ratio of gasoline and oil needed for a lawn mower, see the next video.